Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1036 1037 [1038] 1039 1040 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584062 times)

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #15555 on: June 22, 2019, 06:12:28 PM »

He threatened a cop

I think they should question him for that.

For not showing up to vote?

No.
Happens all the time, recently Dems in Wisconsin. Number of people who have threatened to kill the cops sent to arrest them, before this guy: 0. Number of organizations taking up arms against the cops before now? 0.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15556 on: June 22, 2019, 06:13:10 PM »

I like this Faulconer guy

He had a chance to say NO WALL here - and did not.

On Wednesday, he was asked whether a new wall is needed along the San Diego border and emphasized trade and cross-border communication and cooperation instead.

“I’m proud of our relationship with our neighbors right next door in Mexico. I don’t talk about building walls, I talk about building bridges and increasing that communication, increasing that flow, and that’s really what defines our border region in San Diego,” Faulconer said on CN

Not pay walled

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/the-conversation/sd-san-diego-mayor-on-cnn-border-security-20190123-htmlstory.html

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15557 on: June 22, 2019, 06:15:20 PM »

He threatened a cop

No.
Happens all the time, recently Dems in Wisconsin. Number of people who have threatened to kill the cops sent to arrest them, before this guy: 0. Number of organizations taking up arms against the cops before now? 0.

Badddd actors - yes.

But why were the Republican legislators in Oregon saying that they had received death threats?

Next election - win 2 more seats - then nothing to worry about.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 06:17:05 PM by kiidcarter8 »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15558 on: June 22, 2019, 06:19:27 PM »

He threatened a cop

No.

YES.  West Wing does have an episode.....

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0745590/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

I already said Texas Democrats pulled a similar in 2003 when they duffed to Oklahoma... Tom Delay was legit stealing Democratic districts.

No Democrats threatened to shoot the fucking police because they didn’t like a piece of legislation you don’t have votes to defeat.

He dud the threaten a cop he threatened ANY STATE TROOPER WHO TRIES TO UPHOLD HIS DUTY.

Fucking hypocrite.

Take a breath now...

The VOTE is that they are NOT voting.

Should be interesting to see what occurs.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15559 on: June 22, 2019, 06:56:09 PM »

I like this Faulconer guy

He had a chance to say NO WALL here - and did not.

On Wednesday, he was asked whether a new wall is needed along the San Diego border and emphasized trade and cross-border communication and cooperation instead.

“I’m proud of our relationship with our neighbors right next door in Mexico. I don’t talk about building walls, I talk about building bridges and increasing that communication, increasing that flow, and that’s really what defines our border region in San Diego,” Faulconer said on CN

Not pay walled

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/the-conversation/sd-san-diego-mayor-on-cnn-border-security-20190123-htmlstory.html

I already gave you an unpaywalled piece.Then I gave you a link to a bunch more.

But to play your game, he had a chance to say yes, BUILD THE WALL and he didn't.

He said "I don’t talk about building walls"

Your article is from January 23.

From that same discussion that provided the quote you shared and I shared, he said:
"Very clearly, we need a safe and secure and open border, for that flow of trade and commerce. This is not just for San Diego, but for California and the country," he said. "You know, I've been pushing for investments in more personnel, more -- you know, the infrastructure itself at the border. We're the largest land port of entry crossing in North America, over 100,000 people every day. We're actually looking at making another border crossing at Otay Mesa, with smart secure technology. That's what we need to be doing, is opening that up, building bridges."
[/size]

This is a GOP member trying very hard to not get into a battle with the President of the United States. Sure doesn't sound to anybody like he wants a wall, Kiiid. Even you were reduced to "he didn't say no."
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #15560 on: June 22, 2019, 07:40:02 PM »

Desperate Booker, Warren, and DeBlahzeeoh! Go after Joe. Why? Because he was able to work with the opposition.

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/19/734103488/democrats-blast-biden-for-recalling-civil-relationship-with-segregationists

Hmmmm. Maybe, just maybe, that's how you get things done, dummies!

Poor Joe. Too old. Too dumb. Too secict. Too white. Not woke!

And leading all the polls.

"Kick 'em, when they're up, kick 'em, when they're down...we love dirty laundry."

What do you expect to get done in the Senate?

McConnell doesn’t give a shit about anything but the acquisition and accumulation of power. He is nakedly partisan and would the country to the ground before giving any Democrat anything.

If you go by the polls from this time in 2007 the 2008 election would have been between Hillary and Rudy...

Joe Biden is like a favorite cardigan; comfortable, familiar but a bit thread worn and if you wear it everyday it’s gonna fray and come apart.

Joe will be fine... for a while.

And Booker is a fucking idiot. Reparations? Talk about perpetuating victimhood.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #15561 on: June 22, 2019, 07:43:11 PM »

Besides being a Democrat and not Trump, what's the case for Biden? 

All I can come up with is that he was Obama's buddy and isn't as radical as many of the other Dems running.  Is it solely electability (more or less name recognition, at this point)?

But what is the affirmative case for Biden and what he would do?

He can win. There's the case. In a nutshell.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15562 on: June 22, 2019, 07:52:23 PM »

I'll agree with that

But Trump will  make it ugly.

barton

« Reply #15563 on: June 22, 2019, 07:58:10 PM »

I don't think KC grasps the legal problem of blocking a quorum in Oregon.

Democrats hold a supermajority in both chambers of the Oregon Legislature but they still need Republicans to achieve the quorum necessary to conduct business, which is 20 members in the Senate.  Denying a quorum is an illicit attempt at tyranny of the minority.   It effectively shuts down the upper house of Oregon's congress and stops ALL legislation.   The fleeing senators are violating their oath of office and holding the rest of the legislature hostage.   

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15564 on: June 22, 2019, 08:08:59 PM »

Democrats hold a supermajority in both chambers of the Oregon Legislature but they still need Republicans to achieve the quorum necessary to conduct business, which is 20 members in the Senate. 

yes

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15565 on: June 22, 2019, 08:15:50 PM »

Troopers "rounding up legislators"

I thought that Democrats were opposed to a police state.

oilcan

« Reply #15566 on: June 22, 2019, 08:21:00 PM »

Yet earlier, Kid, you say, "The VOTE is that they are NOT voting."

But what Bart describes is not just a protest "vote"  - it's shutting down all voting.  Voting, in this case, would be to show up in Salem and cast a vote against Cap-&-trade.

The senators are legally required to be in Salem and allow a quorum.  Law enforcement can legitimately compel them to be there.   Just as it would compel you to show up for, say, court business.   It's not a police state to have police enforce laws.   An oath of office is legally binding. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15567 on: June 22, 2019, 08:22:59 PM »

Besides being a Democrat and not Trump, what's the case for Biden? 

All I can come up with is that he was Obama's buddy and isn't as radical as many of the other Dems running.  Is it solely electability (more or less name recognition, at this point)?

But what is the affirmative case for Biden and what he would do?

He can win. There's the case. In a nutshell.

That's the case, but I think it is dead wrong.

His comments about (and ongoing pride in) his work with the segregationists will lose him too many progressives and too many Black and Hispanic voters to be able to beat Trump - but I think it will also preclude his getting the nomination.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15568 on: June 22, 2019, 08:24:41 PM »

75 arrested at the New York Times, demanding that the paper treat the climate emergency with the necessary urgency.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15569 on: June 22, 2019, 08:41:06 PM »

Yet earlier, Kid, you say, "The VOTE is that they are NOT voting."

But what Bart describes is not just a protest "vote"  - it's shutting down all voting.  Voting, in this case, would be to show up in Salem and cast a vote against Cap-&-trade.

The senators are legally required to be in Salem and allow a quorum.  Law enforcement can legitimately compel them to be there.   Just as it would compel you to show up for, say, court business.   It's not a police state to have police enforce laws.   An oath of office is legally binding.

Addressing the missing Republicans, who may have been watching on the live feed on the legislature’s website, he said: "I beg and beseech my fellow legislators to come to the floor. If you’re mad, take it out on me. Come at me. Don’t do this to the people of Oregon.”

Interesting that they need to be implored.   I thought it was LAW.

Seems 500 bucks a day will be nabbed from their checks......

again - interesting

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2019/06/oregon-senate-republicans-leave-the-state-to-avoid-climate-bill-vote.html
Pages: 1 ... 1036 1037 [1038] 1039 1040 ... 4288