The vaccine for the novel coronavirus should be

available to all Americans
- 4 (100%)
available only to Americans who can afford $3000 or whose insurance covers it
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: March 04, 2020, 12:32:27 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1034 1035 [1036] 1037 1038 ... 2059

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 290547 times)

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #15525 on: June 22, 2019, 07:43:11 PM »

Besides being a Democrat and not Trump, what's the case for Biden? 

All I can come up with is that he was Obama's buddy and isn't as radical as many of the other Dems running.  Is it solely electability (more or less name recognition, at this point)?

But what is the affirmative case for Biden and what he would do?

He can win. There's the case. In a nutshell.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15526 on: June 22, 2019, 07:52:23 PM »

I'll agree with that

But Trump will  make it ugly.

barton

• View Profile
« Reply #15527 on: June 22, 2019, 07:58:10 PM »

I don't think KC grasps the legal problem of blocking a quorum in Oregon.

Democrats hold a supermajority in both chambers of the Oregon Legislature but they still need Republicans to achieve the quorum necessary to conduct business, which is 20 members in the Senate.  Denying a quorum is an illicit attempt at tyranny of the minority.   It effectively shuts down the upper house of Oregon's congress and stops ALL legislation.   The fleeing senators are violating their oath of office and holding the rest of the legislature hostage.   
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes. "

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15528 on: June 22, 2019, 08:08:59 PM »

Democrats hold a supermajority in both chambers of the Oregon Legislature but they still need Republicans to achieve the quorum necessary to conduct business, which is 20 members in the Senate. 

yes

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15529 on: June 22, 2019, 08:15:50 PM »

Troopers "rounding up legislators"

I thought that Democrats were opposed to a police state.

oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #15530 on: June 22, 2019, 08:21:00 PM »

Yet earlier, Kid, you say, "The VOTE is that they are NOT voting."

But what Bart describes is not just a protest "vote"  - it's shutting down all voting.  Voting, in this case, would be to show up in Salem and cast a vote against Cap-&-trade.

The senators are legally required to be in Salem and allow a quorum.  Law enforcement can legitimately compel them to be there.   Just as it would compel you to show up for, say, court business.   It's not a police state to have police enforce laws.   An oath of office is legally binding. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15531 on: June 22, 2019, 08:22:59 PM »

All I can come up with is that he was Obama's buddy and isn't as radical as many of the other Dems running.  Is it solely electability (more or less name recognition, at this point)?

That's the case, but I think it is dead wrong.

His comments about (and ongoing pride in) his work with the segregationists will lose him too many progressives and too many Black and Hispanic voters to be able to beat Trump - but I think it will also preclude his getting the nomination.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15532 on: June 22, 2019, 08:24:41 PM »

75 arrested at the New York Times, demanding that the paper treat the climate emergency with the necessary urgency.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15533 on: June 22, 2019, 08:41:06 PM »

But what Bart describes is not just a protest "vote"  - it's shutting down all voting.  Voting, in this case, would be to show up in Salem and cast a vote against Cap-&-trade.

The senators are legally required to be in Salem and allow a quorum.  Law enforcement can legitimately compel them to be there.   Just as it would compel you to show up for, say, court business.   It's not a police state to have police enforce laws.   An oath of office is legally binding.

Addressing the missing Republicans, who may have been watching on the live feed on the legislature’s website, he said: "I beg and beseech my fellow legislators to come to the floor. If you’re mad, take it out on me. Come at me. Don’t do this to the people of Oregon.”

Interesting that they need to be implored.   I thought it was LAW.

Seems 500 bucks a day will be nabbed from their checks......

again - interesting

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2019/06/oregon-senate-republicans-leave-the-state-to-avoid-climate-bill-vote.html

kiidcarter8

• View Profile

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15535 on: June 22, 2019, 09:07:55 PM »

Addressing the missing Republicans, who may have been watching on the live feed on the legislature’s website, he said: "I beg and beseech my fellow legislators to come to the floor. If you’re mad, take it out on me. Come at me. Don’t do this to the people of Oregon.”

Interesting that they need to be implored.   I thought it was LAW.

Seems 500 bucks a day will be nabbed from their checks......

again - interesting

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2019/06/oregon-senate-republicans-leave-the-state-to-avoid-climate-bill-vote.html

It is law, but  apparently that is insufficient to convince them to do their jobs.

So, one implores them.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15536 on: June 22, 2019, 09:08:54 PM »

Why are the kids winning in these lawsuits - not just in the US?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-climate-change-permafrost-idUSKCN1TJ1XN

The Canadian permafrost is melting far earlie than anybody projected.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #15537 on: June 22, 2019, 09:58:07 PM »

Desperate Booker, Warren, and DeBlahzeeoh! Go after Joe. Why? Because he was able to work with the opposition.

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/19/734103488/democrats-blast-biden-for-recalling-civil-relationship-with-segregationists

Hmmmm. Maybe, just maybe, that's how you get things done, dummies!

Poor Joe. Too old. Too dumb. Too secict. Too white. Not woke!

And leading all the polls.

"Kick 'em, when they're up, kick 'em, when they're down...we love dirty laundry."

What do you expect to get done in the Senate?

McConnell doesn’t give a shit about anything but the acquisition and accumulation of power. He is nakedly partisan and would the country to the ground before giving any Democrat anything.

If you go by the polls from this time in 2007 the 2008 election would have been between Hillary and Rudy...

Joe Biden is like a favorite cardigan; comfortable, familiar but a bit thread worn and if you wear it everyday it’s gonna fray and come apart.

Joe will be fine... for a while.

And Booker is a fucking idiot. Reparations? Talk about perpetuating victimhood.

Fuck you and your bullshit victimhood. The only hood in here is on your pointy little head.
“To be led by a fool is to be lead by the opportunists who control the fool." - Octavia Butler

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #15538 on: June 22, 2019, 09:59:15 PM »

He has to win the primary... I don’t see it.
“To be led by a fool is to be lead by the opportunists who control the fool." - Octavia Butler

arafura

• View Profile
« Reply #15539 on: June 22, 2019, 10:08:12 PM »

Why are the kids winning in these lawsuits - not just in the US?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-climate-change-permafrost-idUSKCN1TJ1XN

The Canadian permafrost is melting far earlie than anybody projected.

Here's an idea...what about Al Gore stops flying around the world [oh all those carbon emissions] lecturing on climate change.
Also, the school kiddy climate change protesters be banned from having heaters, airconditioners, dryers, hair dryers, gas-guzzling cars driving them to school, phone battery chargers, flying off/being driven on holidays etc etc etc.
...for starters.
Then we old folks might join the choir.
Pages: 1 ... 1034 1035 [1036] 1037 1038 ... 2059