Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1044 1045 [1046] 1047 1048 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584524 times)

luee

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #15675 on: June 25, 2019, 05:50:00 AM »

Got to keep an eye on those crazy gringos. Now they have concentration camps, they will probably want to go annex something.

http://www.rawstory.com/2019/06/ag-bill-barr-killed-7-robert-mueller-investigations-10-days-after-he-submitted-his-report/

Crime spree. Barr has replaced Cohen who replaced Cohn.

Republicans waddle in slime.

---In 2017, the total cost of illegal immigration for the United States – at the federal, state, and local levels – was approximately $116 billion.---

https://www.fairus.org/issue/publications-resources/fiscal-burden-illegal-immigration-united-states-taxpayers
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15676 on: June 25, 2019, 06:24:18 AM »

Even if the numbers were remotely accurate, it would be an enormous bargain for a great investment in the future of our nation and of our planet, assuming more of us can get being an American right.

If you have an NRA card, burning it and redirecting your dues is a good step.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #15677 on: June 25, 2019, 07:04:03 AM »

People to watch in the coming weeks, a congressional threesome with prime access to what is set down of the crime spree so far.

http://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/24/mueller-report-secrets-1376690
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #15678 on: June 25, 2019, 07:20:57 AM »

Red’s man crush is having as little luck among the tweeters as the obstinate tax cheat does on this forum. So sad.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5d1199bce4b0a3941867bc87

Bill O mounts a comeback with all the grace and style of Rosanne Barr.

Richard P. Feynman

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #15679 on: June 25, 2019, 07:49:53 AM »

Kav made the right call on racially biased jury selection.  Which selection violated the Constitution.  SCt did its job, ensuring that the accused will get a fair trial.   You have no real evidence or logical argument to show otherwise.  Your unattributed quote is polemical garbage.
Only because you have no knowledge of the case.

Anyone who would approvingly quote someone else saying Flowers was “convicted with evidence beyond a shadow of a doubt” has no knowledge of the case.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #15680 on: June 25, 2019, 08:42:51 AM »

Kav made the right call on racially biased jury selection.  Which selection violated the Constitution.  SCt did its job, ensuring that the accused will get a fair trial.   You have no real evidence or logical argument to show otherwise.  Your unattributed quote is polemical garbage.

Anyone who would approvingly quote someone else saying Flowers was “convicted with evidence beyond a shadow of a doubt” has no knowledge of the case.
You should read the case.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #15681 on: June 25, 2019, 08:49:14 AM »

You're a fucking hypocritical political hack, Red. You haven't taught one  person one thing here. The amusement is that you apparently think you are an educator.

YG!   You have known this about Jim for how many years? 
He is not going to be changed by anything anyone posts here. His certitude is cemented and set.
Don't waste your time or energy on him.  He is not worth it, and will never be.

Why is it a negative that you can't "change a mind"? 

Just live, bro.

1).  I was addressing Yank, not some little snot.
2).  Should I start with Galileo or go back even further to answer your moronic question?
3).  You are not my Bro!   And to live is to change.  Try reading something on your own and stop being force-feed stupidity by your Friends at Fox.

BITE ME

Kid and Wart are white cyber trash,  best to ignore anything they post.
That's my opinion.

The illiberal Left.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15682 on: June 25, 2019, 08:58:49 AM »

And yes, we need the ACLU more than ever, and I also support the NRA, I support our whole Constitution and our Bill of Rights.

Good job, Tony.  Some of these clowns pick and choose when it comes to rights.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15683 on: June 25, 2019, 09:05:59 AM »

Got to keep an eye on those crazy gringos. Now they have concentration camps, they will probably want to go annex something.

http://www.rawstory.com/2019/06/ag-bill-barr-killed-7-robert-mueller-investigations-10-days-after-he-submitted-his-report/

---In 2017, the total cost of illegal immigration for the United States – at the federal, state, and local levels – was approximately $116 billion.---

https://www.fairus.org/issue/publications-resources/fiscal-burden-illegal-immigration-united-states-taxpayers

What was the total cost of caring for citizens?

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #15684 on: June 25, 2019, 09:23:19 AM »

What was the total cost of caring for citizens?

“Healthcare Fair Wages No Babies in Cages!”
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #15685 on: June 25, 2019, 09:32:46 AM »

Ad hom.   That's the feeble option when you have no real evidence or logic.   I guess it's painful for you when even your handpicked Conservatives won't serve your White Supremacist agenda that Herr Trump promised you.   How horrible!  Now we have to put up with even lowlife negroes getting a jury of their peers!
Thanks for confirming your ignorance of both the case and the point of my post.

You didn't post an argument or point of your own, just ol Clarence making a vague allusion to "racial politics."  Again, no evidence or reasoned argument from you as to how Scotus did anything but affirm the constitutional right to due process and fair jury selection of one's peers.    Just you flapping your anal sphyncter.   I eat a lot of legumes, so I already know what that sounds like. 

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #15686 on: June 25, 2019, 09:51:01 AM »

Ad hom.   That's the feeble option when you have no real evidence or logic.   I guess it's painful for you when even your handpicked Conservatives won't serve your White Supremacist agenda that Herr Trump promised you.   How horrible!  Now we have to put up with even lowlife negroes getting a jury of their peers!
Thanks for confirming your ignorance of both the case and the point of my post.

You didn't post an argument or point of your own, just ol Clarence making a vague allusion to "racial politics."  Again, no evidence or reasoned argument from you as to how Scotus did anything but affirm the constitutional right to due process and fair jury selection of one's peers.    Just you flapping your anal sphyncter.   I eat a lot of legumes, so I already know what that sounds like.

He wasn't quoting Thomas, but a remarkably bad op-ed in Conservative Review.  Racism is over now, therefore upholding any law or judicial precedent that acknowledges its continued existence is automatically "racial politics."  No further evidence need be cited.

I still have to laugh at the "evidence beyond a shadow of a doubt..." line.  No witness to the crime, no murder weapon, no physical evidence linking Flowers to the scene, only a witness to a jailhouse confession that was promised immunity to other crimes by the prosecutor (until he murdered his girlfriend, her mother, and tried to murder her 12 year old son) who has since confessed that he was lying.  Yeah, thats some overwhelmingly solid evidence.  Can't imagine why it took six trials to get a conviction.

Flowers is still locked up and the prosecutor is free to trot out that overwhelming evidence again in a seventh trial.  Except maybe without his "star witness" and without the ability to rely on the racial bias of his jurors, he might just decline that opportunity.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

barton

« Reply #15687 on: June 25, 2019, 09:53:22 AM »

Curtis Flowers was sentenced to death for a quadruple murder in Winona, Mississippi, in 1996. He was tried six times for the crime.[6]

During the first four trials, prosecutor Doug Evans removed potential black jurors from hearing the case and was twice found to have violated Batson v. Kentucky, which bans racial discrimination in selecting jurors. Flowers’ fifth trial deadlocked. During the sixth trial, Evans accepted one black juror and rejected five potential black jurors. Flowers then challenged Evans' rejection of the black jurors, but the Mississippi Supreme Court rejected his challenge.[4]

The U.S. Supreme Court then ordered the Mississippi Supreme Court to reconsider the ruling "in light of the Supreme Court’s 2016 decision in Foster v. Chatman, in which the court held that the defendant in a capital case had shown intentional discrimination in the selection of jurors," according to SCOTUSblog.[6]

The Mississippi Supreme Court upheld its original ruling, holding that "after review and further consideration in light of Foster, we discern no Batson violation and reinstate and affirm Flowers's convictions and death sentence." Flowers appealed to the Supreme Court, and the court agreed to hear the case on November 2, 2018.[5]

The petitioner presented the following question to the court:

Whether a prosecutor's history of adjudicated purposeful race discrimination may be dismissed as irrelevant when assessing the credibility of his proffered explanations for peremptory strikes against minority prospective jurors?

Outcome

In a 7-2 opinion on June 21, 2019, the U.S. Supreme Court reversed the judgment of the Supreme Court of Mississippi and remanded the case. The court held that the trial court at Flowers' sixth trial was wrong to conclude the State's peremptory strike of a black prospective juror was not racially motivated.

Justice Kavanaugh wrote the majority opinion. Justice Alito filed a concurring opinion. Justice Thomas dissented, joined by Justice Gorsuch as to parts I, II, and III.

Opinion

In his opinion, Justice Kavanaugh wrote:

“   All of the relevant facts and circumstances taken together establish that the trial court committed clear error in concluding that the State’s peremptory strike of black prospective juror Carolyn Wright was not 'motivated in substantial part by discriminatory intent.' ...

Four categories of evidence loom large in assessing the Batson issue in Flowers’ case: (1) the history from Flowers’ six trials, (2) the prosecutor’s striking of five of six black prospective jurors at the sixth trial, (3) the prosecutor’s dramatically disparate questioning of black and white prospective jurors at the sixth trial, and (4) the prosecutor’s proffered reasons for striking one black juror (Carolyn Wright) while allowing other similarly situated white jurors to serve on the jury at the sixth trial. "

In his concurring opinion, Justice Alito wrote:[

“Were it not for the unique combinations of circumstances present here, I would have no trouble affirming the decision of the Supreme Court of Mississippi, which conscientiously applied the legal standards applicable in less unusual cases. But viewing the totality of the circumstances present here, I agree with the Court that petitioner’s capital conviction cannot stand.    ”

So, yeah, fuckface, I'm familiar with the case.

barton

« Reply #15688 on: June 25, 2019, 09:55:02 AM »

Needs, thanks, I had gone back and verified that Ward earlier had attributed his quote to Thomas.  I see now that was a lie.   

barton

« Reply #15689 on: June 25, 2019, 10:00:09 AM »

Here is the false attribution, which Ward later further insisted was Thomas's direct quote from his dissenting opinion...

So Justice Kavanaugh was going to tilt SCOTUS to the right?
LOL

In Flowers v. Mississippi, Kavanaugh wrote a 7-2 majority opinion overturning a sixth conviction of a cold-blooded murderer who was convicted of killing four people 23 years ago. Although he was convicted with evidence beyond a shadow of a doubt, in Kavanagh’s view the jury pool was racist. Overturning state due process: This is yet another example of the growing trend of the federal courts taking over state criminal law procedures and according the worst criminals a degree of process that would confound our Founders. And it’s most often because of racial politics.

Justice Thomas in dissent from Kavanaugh’s majority opinion.

LIAR.  Watch him backpedal now.  "Hey, there was no hyphen in front of Justice Thomas..."

Pages: 1 ... 1044 1045 [1046] 1047 1048 ... 4288