Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1045 1046 [1047] 1048 1049 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583653 times)

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #15690 on: June 25, 2019, 10:00:51 AM »

Kav made the right call on racially biased jury selection.  Which selection violated the Constitution.  SCt did its job, ensuring that the accused will get a fair trial.   You have no real evidence or logical argument to show otherwise.  Your unattributed quote is polemical garbage.
Only because you have no knowledge of the case.

Ad hom.   That's the feeble option when you have no real evidence or logic.   I guess it's painful for you when even your handpicked Conservatives won't serve your White Supremacist agenda that Herr Trump promised you.   How horrible!  Now we have to put up with even lowlife negroes getting a jury of their peers!
Thanks for confirming your ignorance of both the case and the point of my post.

You didn't post an argument or point of your own, just ol Clarence making a vague allusion to "racial politics."  Again, no evidence or reasoned argument from you as to how Scotus did anything but affirm the constitutional right to due process and fair jury selection of one's peers.    Just you flapping your anal sphyncter.   I eat a lot of legumes, so I already know what that sounds like.

He wasn't quoting Thomas, but a remarkably bad op-ed in Conservative Review.  Racism is over now, therefore upholding any law or judicial precedent that acknowledges its continued existence is automatically "racial politics."  No further evidence need be cited.

I still have to laugh at the "evidence beyond a shadow of a doubt..." line.  No witness to the crime, no murder weapon, no physical evidence linking Flowers to the scene, only a witness to a jailhouse confession that was promised immunity to other crimes by the prosecutor (until he murdered his girlfriend, her mother, and tried to murder her 12 year old son) who has since confessed that he was lying.  Yeah, thats some overwhelmingly solid evidence.  Can't imagine why it took six trials to get a conviction.

Flowers is still locked up and the prosecutor is free to trot out that overwhelming evidence again in a seventh trial.  Except maybe without his "star witness" and without the ability to rely on the racial bias of his jurors, he might just decline that opportunity.

Also note that the op-ed also slams Roberts for employing "racial politics" in previous related decisions, which must have been referring to Foster v. Chatman, a case in which the prosecutor's notes literally highlighted the jurors who were black.

If you can't agree with the rulings in cases like this you are effectively saying Batson should not be enforced, which means you are effectively saying prosecutors should be free to use race as a basis for juror selection.

I can't accuse REDSTATEWARD of holding that racist opinion as I think he is only posting this five days after this is no longer news because he just read the op-ed and thought he had an opportunity to dunk on the libs.  But the writer of that op-ed sure does.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 10:05:05 AM by NeedsAdjustments »
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #15691 on: June 25, 2019, 10:04:07 AM »

Here is the false attribution, which Ward later further insisted was Thomas's direct quote from his dissenting opinion...

So Justice Kavanaugh was going to tilt SCOTUS to the right?
LOL

In Flowers v. Mississippi, Kavanaugh wrote a 7-2 majority opinion overturning a sixth conviction of a cold-blooded murderer who was convicted of killing four people 23 years ago. Although he was convicted with evidence beyond a shadow of a doubt, in Kavanagh’s view the jury pool was racist. Overturning state due process: This is yet another example of the growing trend of the federal courts taking over state criminal law procedures and according the worst criminals a degree of process that would confound our Founders. And it’s most often because of racial politics.

Justice Thomas in dissent from Kavanaugh’s majority opinion.

LIAR.  Watch him backpedal now.  "Hey, there was no hyphen in front of Justice Thomas..."

I missed that.  REDSTATEWARD habitually does not include the links to the quotes he posts (if he bothers to pass them off as quotes) so that the obvious bias of his sourcing doesn't come to light.  But passing off the op-ed as a direct quote from the dissent?  Wow.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #15692 on: June 25, 2019, 10:12:00 AM »

Yeah. Sure. Uh huh.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #15693 on: June 25, 2019, 10:32:23 AM »

​House Speaker Nancy Pelosi​ said she appealed to President Trump as a mother to get him to back off his threat to deport thousands of illegal immigrants.

​”I said​,​ ‘Look, I’m a mom, I have five kids​, nine grandchildren, and children are scared,​’ ​” Pelosi said​ Monday during a ​”Speaker in the House” event in Queens. ​”​You’re scaring the children of America. Not just in those families, but their neighbors and their communities. You’re scaring the children.​”

Quoted in the NY Post.

Playing the "mother card", as if only women can be concerned for the welfare of children. She owed men an apology!

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #15694 on: June 25, 2019, 11:26:59 AM »

​House Speaker Nancy Pelosi​ said she appealed to President Trump as a mother to get him to back off his threat to deport thousands of illegal immigrants.

​”I said​,​ ‘Look, I’m a mom, I have five kids​, nine grandchildren, and children are scared,​’ ​” Pelosi said​ Monday during a ​”Speaker in the House” event in Queens. ​”​You’re scaring the children of America. Not just in those families, but their neighbors and their communities. You’re scaring the children.​”

Quoted in the NY Post.

Playing the "mother card", as if only women can be concerned for the welfare of children. She owed men an apology!

I’m gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and give you a hat tip for the sarcasm because that’s funny.

BTW - have you decided to share the details of the “incident” that makes me unemployable?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

oilcan

« Reply #15695 on: June 25, 2019, 11:31:03 AM »

Yeah, everyone is always playing a card.  It's almost like they are trying to express political opinions based on their own life experiences, the selfish motherfuckers!  And, for sure man, whenever anyone does that it MUST MEAN THEY ARE NEGATING EVERYONE ELSE'S EXPERIENCES AND CONCERNS!!!  Even if they don't actually say they are, you know they are all just being self-centered and mean!  Because we all have mental telepathy and know how awful people are, especially when they advocate for the dignity and equality of a certain group!!!!!

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #15696 on: June 25, 2019, 12:25:45 PM »

Dems with bernie leading the charge have become the party of the free lunch. Following the Venezuelan blue print. A descent into economic darkness.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #15697 on: June 25, 2019, 12:38:46 PM »

That's the kind of penetrating analysis we've come to expect from you, Luee.  Thanks!
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #15698 on: June 25, 2019, 02:18:58 PM »

Dems with bernie leading the charge have become the party of the free lunch. Following the Venezuelan blue print. A descent into economic darkness.

Wait! I thought we were turning into Greece?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15699 on: June 25, 2019, 02:26:55 PM »

Kav made the right call on racially biased jury selection.  Which selection violated the Constitution.  SCt did its job, ensuring that the accused will get a fair trial.   You have no real evidence or logical argument to show otherwise.  Your unattributed quote is polemical garbage.
Only because you have no knowledge of the case.

Ad hom.   That's the feeble option when you have no real evidence or logic.   I guess it's painful for you when even your handpicked Conservatives won't serve your White Supremacist agenda that Herr Trump promised you.   How horrible!  Now we have to put up with even lowlife negroes getting a jury of their peers!
Thanks for confirming your ignorance of both the case and the point of my post.

You didn't post an argument or point of your own, just ol Clarence making a vague allusion to "racial politics."  Again, no evidence or reasoned argument from you as to how Scotus did anything but affirm the constitutional right to due process and fair jury selection of one's peers.    Just you flapping your anal sphyncter.   I eat a lot of legumes, so I already know what that sounds like.

He wasn't quoting Thomas, but a remarkably bad op-ed in Conservative Review.  Racism is over now, therefore upholding any law or judicial precedent that acknowledges its continued existence is automatically "racial politics."  No further evidence need be cited.

I still have to laugh at the "evidence beyond a shadow of a doubt..." line.  No witness to the crime, no murder weapon, no physical evidence linking Flowers to the scene, only a witness to a jailhouse confession that was promised immunity to other crimes by the prosecutor (until he murdered his girlfriend, her mother, and tried to murder her 12 year old son) who has since confessed that he was lying.  Yeah, thats some overwhelmingly solid evidence.  Can't imagine why it took six trials to get a conviction.

Flowers is still locked up and the prosecutor is free to trot out that overwhelming evidence again in a seventh trial.  Except maybe without his "star witness" and without the ability to rely on the racial bias of his jurors, he might just decline that opportunity.

Could you find any 6-6 white/black jury in Mississipi that would convict Flowers, even with proper evidence? 

There may be reason for prosecutors to want a whiter jury - beyond what you may feel - that all white juries will always convict a black man.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #15700 on: June 25, 2019, 02:29:44 PM »

Out of curiosity, what would that reason be?

barton

« Reply #15701 on: June 25, 2019, 02:47:23 PM »

Quite the conundrum!

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #15702 on: June 25, 2019, 03:11:01 PM »

Implicit bias is real...

Lyndon Johnson

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #15703 on: June 25, 2019, 03:25:25 PM »

I think all healthy and fit Americans should work at least twenty years before receiving Social Security, there needs to be rewards for working. Ideally a person should be paid well and should enjoy a good life from the fruits of their labor, but often that is not the case, a person can work hard for a lifetime and still be poor upon retirement. There has to be incentives to work, but at the same time we cannot allow our people to be hungry and homeless when they retire.

Also of note, paying Grandparents to do the child care of their Grandchildren is an idea to help to bring more money into poor households, if we are going to pay people to watch the children, we might as well pump more money into poor households by paying the Grandparents for child care.

When we are young and healthy we should work, and at least try to achieve the American Dream, and then if you end up poor and homeless in twenty years then we will help you with Social Security and Section 8 Housing, etc.

So many people have fought and died to create and preserve the American Dream that it would be a pity to at least not spend twenty years trying to achieve it.

So for Bernie, there cannot just be a free lunch, you gotta at least try to achieve the American Dream, and pay in, etc. (And I think that Bernie can beat Biden.)

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #15704 on: June 25, 2019, 03:58:54 PM »

Greece, yes, now we are talking.

The birth of Democracy, and the Republic form of government, Athens ruled the world with a central bank, and then even after Rome took over and ruled the world, Rome had Greek teachers, and Rome had Greeks helping to run their government, etc. And there was Greek theatre, etc. The Greeks built the foundation for Western Civilization.

I was thinking that on the issue of solving the problem of poverty in the Philippines, we could use the same style that Athens used when they ruled the world. The smart and educated people of Greece can employ the people of the Philippines, and could help to improve civilization in the Philippines, using a central bank, etc, and of course the Greeks are involved in global shipping, etc. Greece can rise by creating jobs in the Philippines. Greece is small and they do not have that large of a population as a labor pool, but the Philippines has one hundred million people, the Greeks can use the Filipino people as their labor pool. And of course the Filipinos will learn and rise, and they will own their own companies and help to employ their own people. The Greeks can help to save the Philippines, and improve their standard of living, and everyone can benefit.

And in the same way, citizens of the USA can employ people around the world, which is already happening, we just need to remember to help our own people, we cannot have our streets lined with homeless people, we need to create jobs and opportunities here in the USA.

Greece is great, and a lot can be learned from Greece, and Greece can save the Philippines.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 04:04:22 PM by FlyingVProd »
Pages: 1 ... 1045 1046 [1047] 1048 1049 ... 4288