Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1051 1052 [1053] 1054 1055 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583487 times)

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #15780 on: June 26, 2019, 03:53:26 PM »

Great.

So the illiberal Left and the Radical Right agree.

Dead babies can be exploited in order to advance the politics of their respective sides.

barton

« Reply #15781 on: June 26, 2019, 04:10:15 PM »

Hamutpig:

just because you can devise terms (like illiberal Left) for the ideas in your head doesn't mean the ideas correspond to the reality on the ground.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #15782 on: June 26, 2019, 04:50:39 PM »

Great.

Dead babies can be exploited in order to advance the politics of their respective sides.

I’m guessing here that the terms “exploited” and “politics” are intended to belittle the “leftists” and point out some imagined hypocrisy, but political movements born of crisis are well ingrained in American history.  Thinking particularly of the labor and environmental reforms that came during the industrial revolution, for example.  Or New Deal programs following the Great Depression, which are often thought of in macro-economic terms but were at their first level attempts to relieve massive levels of human suffering.

If nuclear power plants were releasing radioactive water into the drinking supply and people were dying as a result and only one party was willing to get them to stop, I suppose you would say that one party was “exploiting the deaths of people due to radiation poisoning in order to advance their politics” but another way to say it is “one party is seeking to stop the avoidable deaths of innocent people through industrial regulation.”

I would say in this case that you have it doubly backwards because in fact the Trump Administration’s hyper-cruel treatment of legal asylum seekers is all about politics.  Trump canceled a pilot program started by the Obama Administration that was working ( https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/immigration-border-crisis/obama-era-pilot-program-kept-asylum-seeking-migrant-families-together-n885896 ) because it was Obama’s, and his base responds to theatrical cruelty at the border (see also; Wall) over policy that actually works to solve the problem. 

You could say the same in healthcare, where one party is literally creating life/death situations in rural areas just because using the ACA to expand Medicaid coverage is politically unpopular on the Right after they spent so much political capital on trashing it: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/24/opinion/republican-states-health-care.html

“Political” is not the same as “partisan.”  Nor should it be so given a dirty word as you try to make it.  There are some politicians who are actually trying to get elected in order to make people’s lives better.  Hope the age of Trump has not made us so cynical as to make that statement hard to believe.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15783 on: June 26, 2019, 05:08:35 PM »

Unable to defend his pov, Larry declares victory and then he,  pivots to a different topic.

This is his MO. Same as Trump's.

You don't commute because you're unemployable, given "the incident".

I understand, Larry.

Bottom line, give us a case for reparations and his that moves the country forward.

Or... STFU.

And don’t go hinting about some “incident” that makes me “unemployable.” You got something? Spill.

He likes to petend he knows things he doesn't, to go with the little bits he does know.

So, for example, he has put up my picture. Sometimes, he intimates knowledge about my marital status, too.

It's stupid and illustrates his lack of trustworthiness.

Joshie, a charter member of the illiberal Left, works diligently to silence anyone who does not toe the party line.

Very sad.
On a more regularly regulated board, you would have banned long ago, not because of your politics but because of your conduct, with Josh, with Larry and with banks. Being a worthless Asshole has nothing to do with your politics.

He is carefully ignoring the simple truth that if I wanted him silenced, generally, I would just ban him (intentionally) or edit the crap out of his posts. It doesn't fit his narrative.

STFU, Forum Nazi.

Been gassed? Locked up in a cage?

Is being told you are not allowed to threaten people so hard for you?

Pooooooor baby.

You haven't even been blocked from posting despite your odious conduct.

May you never deal with a Nazi in real life.

May we never need to be in a forum in which you are in charge.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15785 on: June 26, 2019, 05:18:14 PM »

As news of the image spread, presidential candidates blamed the deaths on the administration.

Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris called the situation "inhumane."

"These families seeking asylum are often fleeing extreme violence," she tweeted. "And what happens when they arrive? Trump says, 'Go back to where you came from.' That is inhumane. Children are dying. This is a stain on our moral conscience."

This is not an accurate depiction of what occurred with the man and little girl.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/26/politics/mexico-father-daughter-dead-rio-grande-wednesday/index.html

It's why what happened happened.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #15786 on: June 26, 2019, 05:49:34 PM »

Hamutpig:

just because you can devise terms (like illiberal Left) for the ideas in your head doesn't mean the ideas correspond to the reality on the ground.

Maybe you just fully understand how much the extremists in both groups are alike.

Or you can't keep up. Either way, it's rather supercilious of you to decide you don't like something merely because you refuse to or do not wish to comprehend it's full meaning.

That's what Josh and Red both do.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #15787 on: June 26, 2019, 05:52:07 PM »

Guess the Boston illiberal Left wants the kids to sleep on the floor?

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/boston-wayfair-workers-threaten-walkout-144915582.html

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #15788 on: June 26, 2019, 05:54:33 PM »

Great.

I’m guessing here that the terms “exploited” and “politics” are intended to belittle the “leftists” and point out some imagined hypocrisy, but political movements born of crisis are well ingrained in American history.  Thinking particularly of the labor and environmental reforms that came during the industrial revolution, for example.  Or New Deal programs following the Great Depression, which are often thought of in macro-economic terms but were at their first level attempts to relieve massive levels of human suffering.

If nuclear power plants were releasing radioactive water into the drinking supply and people were dying as a result and only one party was willing to get them to stop, I suppose you would say that one party was “exploiting the deaths of people due to radiation poisoning in order to advance their politics” but another way to say it is “one party is seeking to stop the avoidable deaths of innocent people through industrial regulation.”

I would say in this case that you have it doubly backwards because in fact the Trump Administration’s hyper-cruel treatment of legal asylum seekers is all about politics.  Trump canceled a pilot program started by the Obama Administration that was working ( https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/immigration-border-crisis/obama-era-pilot-program-kept-asylum-seeking-migrant-families-together-n885896 ) because it was Obama’s, and his base responds to theatrical cruelty at the border (see also; Wall) over policy that actually works to solve the problem. 

You could say the same in healthcare, where one party is literally creating life/death situations in rural areas just because using the ACA to expand Medicaid coverage is politically unpopular on the Right after they spent so much political capital on trashing it: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/24/opinion/republican-states-health-care.html

“Political” is not the same as “partisan.”  Nor should it be so given a dirty word as you try to make it.  There are some politicians who are actually trying to get elected in order to make people’s lives better.  Hope the age of Trump has not made us so cynical as to make that statement hard to believe.
q

You guessed wrong. Then you wrote a lot of horseshit.

Both extreme partisans are using pictures of dead babies to advance their cause. That's disgusting on many levels. Guess you don't see it that way.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #15789 on: June 26, 2019, 05:56:13 PM »

Unable to defend his pov, Larry declares victory and then he,  pivots to a different topic.

This is his MO. Same as Trump's.

You don't commute because you're unemployable, given "the incident".

I understand, Larry.

Bottom line, give us a case for reparations and his that moves the country forward.

Or... STFU.

And don’t go hinting about some “incident” that makes me “unemployable.” You got something? Spill.

He likes to petend he knows things he doesn't, to go with the little bits he does know.

So, for example, he has put up my picture. Sometimes, he intimates knowledge about my marital status, too.

It's stupid and illustrates his lack of trustworthiness.

Joshie, a charter member of the illiberal Left, works diligently to silence anyone who does not toe the party line.

Very sad.
On a more regularly regulated board, you would have banned long ago, not because of your politics but because of your conduct, with Josh, with Larry and with banks. Being a worthless Asshole has nothing to do with your politics.

He is carefully ignoring the simple truth that if I wanted him silenced, generally, I would just ban him (intentionally) or edit the crap out of his posts. It doesn't fit his narrative.

STFU, Forum Nazi.

Been gassed? Locked up in a cage?

Is being told you are not allowed to threaten people so hard for you?

Pooooooor baby.

You haven't even been blocked from posting despite your odious conduct.

May you never deal with a Nazi in real life.

May we never need to be in a forum in which you are in charge.

One day, you'll make sense.

This post is just you trying to spin, Doctor.

Weak.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15790 on: June 26, 2019, 05:58:44 PM »

Everyone says Piggy is an idiot they are all part of militant extremes?

No. Everyone says Piggy is an idiot because he IS an idiot.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #15791 on: June 26, 2019, 06:01:20 PM »

You guessed wrong. Then you wrote a lot of horseshit.

Both extreme partisans are using pictures of dead babies to advance their cause. That's disgusting on many levels. Guess you don't see it that way.

Looks like I guessed right (hint, I wasn't really guessing) and then you promptly ignored or did not understand the points that followed.

Shorter version; pointing to dead babies to advance your cause isn't disgusting (on any level) if your cause is ending policies that lead to dead babies.

Maybe what you want to argue is that family separations, metering and otherwise making border conditions appreciably crueler (such as arguing that you do not need to provide beds or soap or toothpaste) as a mater of policy does not actually lead to higher risk of death for migrants.  Then make that argument. 

Otherwise, your post is virtue signaling without merit or substance.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #15792 on: June 26, 2019, 06:08:57 PM »

Here is an example from the industrial revolution, as you seem unaware of the history:

https://www.history.com/news/child-labor-lewis-hine-photos

Photos of children working in unhealthy and unsafe conditions helped lead to the most important labor regulation of the 20th century.  Did the exposure of these conditions "exploit" their situation for political gain, or was it an important catalyst to policy change that made people's lives significantly better?

I guess your answer to that would depend on where you stand on child labor laws.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #15793 on: June 26, 2019, 06:25:23 PM »

Gov. Newsom Signs Law Clearing Way for Regulators to Suspend Horse Racing at Santa Anita Park After the Deaths of 30 Horses

https://ktla.com/2019/06/26/gov-newsom-signs-new-california-law-allowing-suspension-of-horse-racing-at-santa-anita-park/

When I was a kid, my parents owned a race horse, her name was "Sure Bet Baby," but then she broke her leg and her name was changed to "Too Bad Baby." Some people think that all horses die when they break a leg, but ours was put out to pasture, and she was used for breeding, etc.

I support horse racing, but I am against all of the deaths of the horses. Santa Anita needs to do more to stop the deaths of the horses. And horses should not be killed just because they break a leg, our horse had a good life after her broken leg.

And when I was a little kid, I was 9 years old, and I had a girlfriend who lived down the dirt road from us in Oregon, Michelle, and her family was into horse racing, and they had their own race track and stuff on their ranch, and I used to go help her exercise the horses, and I helped her with work on their ranch so that I could spend time with her. Then, my father died, and we moved back to California, and I never saw Michelle again. We mailed each other a couple of letters, and that was it.

But her family was into horse racing, and a lot of good people are into horse racing.

People just need to work to reduce the number of deaths of the horses.

Salute,

Tony V.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #15794 on: June 26, 2019, 07:22:38 PM »

Guess the Boston illiberal Left wants the kids to sleep on the floor?

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/boston-wayfair-workers-threaten-walkout-144915582.html

They want the kids to be with their families. I guess Krupp figured it was just business, too.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 1051 1052 [1053] 1054 1055 ... 4288