Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1112 1113 [1114] 1115 1116 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583979 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #16695 on: July 14, 2019, 02:31:54 PM »

IDEA
Yes, Immigration Hurts American Workers
The candidates tell drastically different stories about immigration. They’re both skipping half the truth.

By GEORGE J. BORJAS September/October 2016

Duh!

luee! We get it!

You hate and fear black and brown people and you think there are hordes of them teeming at the border waiting to swarm in like the zombies in WORLD WAR Z.

Just pull the covers over your head and squinty your eyes real tight and it will all be alright.

On the contrary, I love the American worker and what all the labor unions did to improve working conditions and made the workplace  the most enjoyable and productive one in the world. I am for the native workers of all races and creeds. It is the blue collar worker who is being squeezed out and is having his power and voice taken away. The one percenters want to use the failures and self-loathers to continue to castrate the labor movement by allowing cheap labor from backward third world areas in. Someone used GEORGE J. BORJAS as a defender of open borders he certainly was not, in his own words.

Too many unions kept too many workers away from membership for too long.
Too many union members opted for the policies that benefit the 1%.
Too many white people fall for the same racist, sexist and xenophobic GOP message year after year.

You fucked up and just won’t stop.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16696 on: July 14, 2019, 02:37:58 PM »

Luee’s Concern for workers would be better served by policies that punish employers for any substandard employment practices rather then allowing them to benefit from an underground labor market. Dividing worker against worker is how the rich stay rich and why America continues to fester in the stink of its original sin.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16697 on: July 14, 2019, 02:54:35 PM »

Luee’s Concern for workers would be better served by policies that punish employers for any substandard employment practices rather then allowing them to benefit from an underground labor market. Dividing worker against worker is how the rich stay rich and why America continues to fester in the stink of its original sin.
The best remedy to having under paid migrants undercutting wages would be to bring them into the legal work force, so they there will be no economic incentive to hire them.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16698 on: July 14, 2019, 05:03:28 PM »

The impact of rising sea levels on the property sales market has finally hit the media, though it hit the market a while ago.

That it is in the news is going to cause the trend to spread and to spread quickly and widely, I suspect.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/11/us/miami-little-haiti-climate-gentrification-weir-wxc/index.html

I am sure that Ward will have something "witty" to say about this,while Bambi-ignorance's #1 radio host will insist that it is still a hoax and these people shifting their buying are in on it or something similarly banal, pointless, and flat wrong.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16700 on: July 14, 2019, 05:28:40 PM »

By the way, at some point either Kiiid or Ward challenged us to prove that Trump had said or done something racist.

This? This is a very clear example of his saying something racist.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #16701 on: July 14, 2019, 05:39:39 PM »

dear moderator where is that scholarly work that shows that bringing in hordes of immigrants helps the American citizen? It makes no sense and would have more dire consequences than the dreaded trickle down. American culture would become more violent and less respectful of life. M13 is a picture of future life in America. Teenage killing machines with tattoos all over. Body parts all over public parks. Como esta. And the dreaded soccer games.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

barton

« Reply #16702 on: July 14, 2019, 05:48:58 PM »

M13 is a picture of future life in America... 
That would be lovely!

M13 is modestly recognized as the Great Globular Star Cluster in Hercules. A ball of stars numbering in the hundreds of thousands crowded into a region 150 light years across, it lies some 25,000 light-years away. The sharp, color picture of M13 at upper left is familiar to many telescopic imagers   

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap190613.html

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16703 on: July 14, 2019, 05:54:48 PM »

dear moderator where is that scholarly work that shows that bringing in hordes of immigrants helps the American citizen? It makes no sense and would have more dire consequences than the dreaded trickle down. American culture would become more violent and less respectful of life. M13 is a picture of future life in America. Teenage killing machines with tattoos all over. Body parts all over public parks. Como esta. And the dreaded soccer games.

Dear Luee,

Did you read the link I posted?

Did you read everything that George B wrote?

George noted that it helps the residents of the US. Maybe he didn't mean to or he changed his mind, but he said it - and not just the GDP.

But more to the point, read the chapter I posted.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #16704 on: July 14, 2019, 05:58:01 PM »

The immigrants are Americans, that is what an "American" is, all Americans are immigrants, or their ancestors were, unless you are a Native American Indian. 

My ancestors have been in the USA for so long that I do not even know where they came from, but I am smart enough to know that they migrated from somewhere.

Everyone has their "people," the Jews have their people, and the Italians have their people, and everyone has an ethnic group and they get together and celebrate their group, and I do not have any group, I am just an "American." And I am a "Californian." I will do my DNA in Ancestry.com eventually, and I want to research to learn about who my ancestors were. Anyhow, America is a nation of immigrants.

And we need the people. We have dying cities, and dying farm towns, which need the new people. And we have an aging population as all of the Baby Boomers get older and older. We need the new young people, and the families, and the people to repopulate and to breath life into our shrinking cities and shrinking farm towns.

Those immigrants are future Americans, we need to let them in, and we need to make them legal.

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16705 on: July 14, 2019, 06:33:20 PM »

The immigrants are Americans, that is what an "American" is, all Americans are immigrants, or their ancestors were, unless you are a Native American Indian.

My ancestors have been in the USA for so long that I do not even know where they came from, but I am smart enough to know that they migrated from somewhere.

Everyone has their "people," the Jews have their people, and the Italians have their people, and everyone has an ethnic group and they get together and celebrate their group, and I do not have any group, I am just an "American." And I am a "Californian." I will do my DNA in Ancestry.com eventually, and I want to research to learn about who my ancestors were. Anyhow, America is a nation of immigrants.

And we need the people. We have dying cities, and dying farm towns, which need the new people. And we have an aging population as all of the Baby Boomers get older and older. We need the new young people, and the families, and the people to repopulate and to breath life into our shrinking cities and shrinking farm towns.

Those immigrants are future Americans, we need to let them in, and we need to make them legal.

Luee doesn't like the legal ones, either.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #16706 on: July 14, 2019, 06:58:06 PM »

Legal is ok. The immigration laws were mapped out to allow a controlled flow.

---In 1924, Congress established national-origin quotas with the Immigration Act of 1924. It awarded immigration visas to just 2 percent of the total number of people of each nationality in the United States as of the 1890 national census. It excluded all immigrants from Asia. People were anxious because of World War I and heartily supported limits on immigration. By 1970, immigration had fallen to a low of 4.7 percent of the population. That was down from a high of 14.7 percent in 1910.

In 1965, President Lyndon Johnson pushed Congress to change immigration policy with the Immigration and Naturalization Act. It eliminated quotas based on nationality. Instead, it favored those with needed skills or who were joining families in the United States. That increased immigration from Asia and Latin America.---
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #16707 on: July 14, 2019, 08:37:43 PM »

WASPs are now a minority in Anaheim. Anaheim is 52.8% Latino-American now. But, we are right by the border with Mexico, so it is expected that we would have a lot of Latino-Americans. 

The total driving distance from Anaheim, CA to Tijuana, Mexico is 113 miles or 182 kilometers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaheim,_California

And I love it here, I feel really safe. And Disneyland is breaking records, they are expanding like crazy, and they raised the minimum wage to $15.00 per hour.

I would have no problem with busing our immigrants straight from our Southern Border to Detroit, and to other shrinking cities in America, they can save America. Our Latino-Americans are great. I approve of welcoming our immigrants from our Southern Border.

I have lived in Anaheim for almost 20 years, and it is great here. And it is improving here.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #16708 on: July 14, 2019, 09:13:09 PM »

Here are a few constellations that are related to some names in my family tree...

Cepheus...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cepheus_%28constellation%29

Argus...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argo_Navis

Wolff...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupus_%28constellation%29

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16709 on: July 14, 2019, 09:41:55 PM »

Legal is ok. The immigration laws were mapped out to allow a controlled flow.

---In 1924, Congress established national-origin quotas with the Immigration Act of 1924. It awarded immigration visas to just 2 percent of the total number of people of each nationality in the United States as of the 1890 national census. It excluded all immigrants from Asia. People were anxious because of World War I and heartily supported limits on immigration. By 1970, immigration had fallen to a low of 4.7 percent of the population. That was down from a high of 14.7 percent in 1910.

In 1965, President Lyndon Johnson pushed Congress to change immigration policy with the Immigration and Naturalization Act. It eliminated quotas based on nationality. Instead, it favored those with needed skills or who were joining families in the United States. That increased immigration from Asia and Latin America.---

So, you were/are okay with the exclusion of Asians in immigration.

And you continue to rail against those coming across our southern border but to be silent about the majority of illegal immigrants - the 60% who overstay their visas.

Thank you for removing all doubts about you.
Pages: 1 ... 1112 1113 [1114] 1115 1116 ... 4288