Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1119 1120 [1121] 1122 1123 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583577 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #16800 on: July 16, 2019, 10:22:07 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inMiUuGYJGs

What is Omar talking about? White supremacist terrorists blowing up mosques and synagogues (That is not why Homeland security was formed princess). Still in denial about 9-11, Al Qaeda, and Isis.

I noticed you never acknowledged all the stuff you love about the VA under Trump you got from Obama.
  From BHO I only got disrespect. Delays and turndowns of appeals. Apparently it was pervasive.  Veterans were dying while waiting for service according to one scandal. It got really bad near the end of his second term At the emergency room I saw a female doctor chasing a vet out yelling that he was only there for the free lunch. After twenty years I had a comp Dr. ask me who put me on. He was terrible to the vets. Cynical haters all over the place. Big improvement from donald. Comp exams were farmed out and handled by a private agency with courteous caring professionals at the other end. Prior to that Clinton was best to the vets, creating auxiliary clinics and bringing in professionals . W soso.

You stupid racist asshole.

uh............

wow.

Fuck off
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #16801 on: July 16, 2019, 10:29:07 PM »

Justice Stevens, RIP.

Always remember what he wrote after the FLorida GOP stole the 2000 election:

"Although we may never know with complete certainty the identity of the winner of this year’s Presidential election, the identity of the loser is perfectly clear. It is the Nation’s confidence in the judge as an impartial guardian of the rule of law.”

Yep. Hanging chads vs dimpled. Estupido!

A stellar jurist. 

In supporting a Voter ID  law

His dissent against Citizens United should be remembered:
As a dissent

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #16802 on: July 16, 2019, 10:51:19 PM »

Justice Stevens, RIP.

"Although we may never know with complete certainty the identity of the winner of this year’s Presidential election, the identity of the loser is perfectly clear. It is the Nation’s confidence in the judge as an impartial guardian of the rule of law.”

A stellar jurist. 

As a dissent

Why do you hate Democracy?

When your electoral strategy depends on fewer people voting it means you know your policies suck for most people.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #16803 on: July 16, 2019, 10:55:04 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/stevens-says-supreme-court-decision-on-voter-id-was-correct-but-maybe-not-right/2016/05/15/9683c51c-193f-11e6-9e16-2e5a123aac62_story.html

....(Judge Richard Posner, who wrote the panel’s opinion, has since said that he got it wrong and that the photo-ID requirement is “now widely regarded as a means of voter suppression rather than of fraud prevention.”)

The Supreme Court said in the 2008 case that the lower courts “correctly concluded that the evidence in the record is not sufficient to support a facial attack on the validity of the entire statute.”

When the court decides a law is “facially” unconstitutional, it means the measure could never be applied in a way that would overcome its shortcomings.

Stevens, who was joined by Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. and Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, mentioned a dozen times in the opinion that it was based on “the record” in the case.

“I learned a lot of things outside the record that made me very concerned about that statute,” Stevens said in the conversation with Kagan and Wood. “So I had the question: Should I rely on my own research or what’s in the record?”

“And I thought in that case I had a duty to confine myself to what the record did prove, and I thought it did not prove the plaintiffs’ case. And as a result, we ended up with a fairly unfortunate decision.”

Stevens alluded to his quandary in a footnote in the opinion: “Supposition based on extensive Internet research is not an adequate substitute for admissible evidence subject to cross-examination in constitutional adjudication.”

In the conversation, Stevens noted that dissenting justice David H. Souter did not share his reluctance.

“I thought David wrote one of his best opinions, relying partly on material that was outside the record,” Stevens said.

Kagan the justice briefly became Kagan the journalist as she asked the right follow-up question after Stevens explained his approach.

“Would you do it the same way again?” she asked.

“I think I would,” replied Stevens, who turned 96 last month and mentioned that he is writing a new book. “That’s a tough question. I really don’t know for sure.”

A Stevens switch would not have changed the outcome of the case. And some think his approach gave Roberts and Kennedy a chance to join an opinion that said future challenges to photo-ID laws were possible, rather than join fellow conservatives in a opinion that would have more firmly shut the door....   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #16804 on: July 16, 2019, 10:59:56 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/07/16/white-irs-security-guard-pulled-gun-an-armed-man-it-was-black-police-officer-uniform/

One of the scariest moments of my life was when old white security guard pulled a gun on me and shook like Don Knotts. I had just gotten off the elevator on Mark Breland’s floor to shoot some b roll when the guard rolled up on me looking scared to death. I said, “you do know there’s a doorman and a concierge downstairs, right? I was sent up.”

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #16805 on: July 16, 2019, 11:01:39 PM »

Justice Stevens, RIP.

A stellar jurist. 

As a dissent

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-kavanaugh-stevens/kavanaugh-does-not-belong-on-supreme-court-says-retired-justice-stevens-idUSKCN1ME2P8

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16806 on: July 16, 2019, 11:39:05 PM »

Though Red’s posts are nauseating and make me worry for the safety of his neighbors and family, at least he keeps us informed about what the American Nazi Party is doing and thinking.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #16807 on: July 16, 2019, 11:44:46 PM »

What is Omar talking about? White supremacist terrorists blowing up mosques and synagogues (That is not why Homeland security was formed princess). Still in denial about 9-11, Al Qaeda, and Isis.

I noticed you never acknowledged all the stuff you love about the VA under Trump you got from Obama.
  From BHO I only got disrespect. Delays and turndowns of appeals. Apparently it was pervasive.  Veterans were dying while waiting for service according to one scandal. It got really bad near the end of his second term At the emergency room I saw a female doctor chasing a vet out yelling that he was only there for the free lunch. After twenty years I had a comp Dr. ask me who put me on. He was terrible to the vets. Cynical haters all over the place. Big improvement from donald. Comp exams were farmed out and handled by a private agency with courteous caring professionals at the other end. Prior to that Clinton was best to the vets, creating auxiliary clinics and bringing in professionals . W soso.

Strange response. The dude gave you his POV based on his experience. Why so dismissive?

Not really. Y’all keep forgetting my family is military. I know what happened at VA because I was with NBC when the story about the Phoenix VA broke.

All the benefits he described under Trump were implemented by Obama. I understand how he felt my dad and step dad received care under the VA in the 2000s and I saw Bush/Cheney break the system by not gearing up for Afghanistan and Iraq.

I gave him facts that backed up his good feelings about the VA. Those good things were put in place before Trump tried to appoint Dr. Ronny Jackson as the agency head.

https://www.apnews.com/375515aecedb4aed949e4f2eb9c54eb6

But naw. Obama gets only disrespect despite actually making the moves that he likes

So yeah, i went upside his head because he’s a stupid racist asshole.

Meanwhile, how about that theory of the most pivotal battle of the civil war, the battle of Memphis?

Each time you address me I’m gonna demand you back up your bullshit.

You are an exemplary fool.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16808 on: July 16, 2019, 11:55:23 PM »

Strange response. The dude gave you his POV based on his experience. Why so dismissive?
Because it was accurate you stupid racist asshole.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16809 on: July 16, 2019, 11:55:59 PM »

He’s exemplary, Hammy. You are the fool.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #16810 on: July 17, 2019, 03:32:33 AM »

---Veterans Health Administration scandal of 2014---

Six years in and BHO supposedly did not have a clue until the walls came tumbling down. My own experiences were at the Manhattan NYC facility. Not mentioned because things were really bad elsewhere. His priorities were with Somalian immigrants.

Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #16811 on: July 17, 2019, 05:18:03 AM »

I attended a Justice Stevens speech at my law school circa 1991.
He spent a lot of time discussing what he referred to as "Drug Prohibition"   Thought it had a very distorting and pernicious effect on the court system.  Was concerned with the way it ate up the budgets and time of the courts.  Also thought the penalties were far too harsh and unnecessary.  He had something of a libertarian viewpoint.   But also practical based.  Supply wasn't going to be reduced, people were going to take and abuse drugs, both legal and illegal.  And criminalizing certain drugs was a very poor social response. 

Stevens childhood coincided with alcohol Prohibition, and he very intentionally wanted to draw the parallel of a failed criminal response to common human behavior, the increase and in crime and criminal profits from the illegalization, the harm to violators, etc.

He led an interesting charmed life.  Met Lindbergh and other celebs of the day, was there for Babe Ruth's legendary 1932 "called World Series home run.  And made it back to Wrigley for the Cubs World Series in 2016.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #16812 on: July 17, 2019, 07:27:23 AM »

Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #16813 on: July 17, 2019, 07:52:04 AM »

uh............

wow.

Fuck off
Racist asshole.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #16814 on: July 17, 2019, 08:09:42 AM »

Because it was accurate you stupid racist asshole.

Chime out, vagina stain.
Pages: 1 ... 1119 1120 [1121] 1122 1123 ... 4288