Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1200 1201 [1202] 1203 1204 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1595732 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #18015 on: August 07, 2019, 07:28:57 PM »

Been about a week or so for me, Josh.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

barton

« Reply #18016 on: August 07, 2019, 09:15:01 PM »

[from Matthew Norman, in today's Independent UK]

The definitive quote about Brexit arrived yesterday, though technically it had nothing to do with Brexit at all. Asked in traumatised El Paso what Donald Trump could do to prevent more atrocities at the trigger-happy hands of white supremacists, Beto O’Rourke lost his rag.

The former congressman’s campaign for the Democratic nomination has virtually evaporated, but it might just be revived by his splendid response to a stupendously dumb question. “What do you think?” he snapped, sensibly reckoning the answer – stop being a racist agent provocateur – too self-evident to be worth the respiratory effort of stating. “I mean, members of the press…” he added, “what the f***?”

And there, in a few short words, is that illuminating judgement on Brexit.

The same rhetorical question hasn’t been posed here yet, but in time, perhaps it will feature in the retrospective enquiry into this national nervous breakdown of ours.

We are, as recently observed here, in the midst of a coup attempt. It’s an unusual kind of coup, if not unique, in that it’s being executed by a government rather than against one. But any doubts about the brutal nature of this power grab diminished today with reports that Boris Johnson means to ignore any vote of no confidence, and continue as PM to ensure the crash-out on 31 October.

According to his de facto chief of staff, Dominic Cummings, Johnson will squat in Downing Street to facilitate the no deal that he seems to regard as less of a million-to-one shot than a prohibitive odds-on chance and his heart’s desire. It could alternatively be brinksmanship, designed to terrorise the EU27 into a capitulation by presenting the Halloween nightmare as unstoppable by any power within the UK. It may, as some optimistically suggest, be an empty threat.

But even if it is, consider what Johnson feels emboldened to declare. He is saying that the will of parliament – the keystone of a parliamentary democracy; the very thing Brexit is supposedly intended to make sovereign again – counts for zero if it diverges from his own.

If that isn’t a working definition of dictatorship, I’d be intrigued to know why not.

Whether he could actually continue if the Commons voted down his government remains unclear. That is quite extraordinary enough. No other country on Earth, developed or otherwise, could find itself marooned in doubt as to how a constitutional clash between executive and legislature would be resolved....

barton

« Reply #18017 on: August 07, 2019, 09:15:58 PM »

Firefox, Chrome, both login okay.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18018 on: August 07, 2019, 10:11:13 PM »

Try it now, folks.

But refresh your browser first.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18019 on: August 07, 2019, 10:14:50 PM »

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1159193146271473664

Hey, a mass shooting? Let's turn it into a campaign opportunity!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18020 on: August 07, 2019, 10:33:13 PM »

What?

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18021 on: August 07, 2019, 10:50:14 PM »

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #18022 on: August 07, 2019, 10:56:40 PM »

Josh
I can't log in from my computer as I get the message, I've been banned. I think bart had the same problem. Could you unban me. Thanks.

When did it start?

I haven't changed settings in a fair while.

Back to normal-thanks.

It started around 6pm today

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18023 on: August 07, 2019, 11:12:21 PM »

Josh
I can't log in from my computer as I get the message, I've been banned. I think bart had the same problem. Could you unban me. Thanks.

When did it start?

Back to normal-thanks.

I think your situation had nothing to do with me or this site, while Yank's did - unless Yank's is still not fixed, in which case his did not, either!

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18024 on: August 07, 2019, 11:14:25 PM »

The president's spokesman made up crap about what Sherrod Brown and the Mayor of Dayton said about reactions to Trump in the hospital.

They called the spokesman and the president out for misrepresentation.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/07/politics/fact-check-trump-brown-hospital-visit-dayton/index.html

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18025 on: August 07, 2019, 11:22:40 PM »

What?

The press was not included because the visit was not "a photo op," according to White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham.

But later, the White House distributed its own photos from inside the hospital and a slickly produced video showing the President greeting staff, set to serious-sounding music.

Not a photo op, indeed. And then tweeted out by the president (or whomever).

And...

"We had an amazing day, as you know," Trump said in the corridor of an emergency coordination center in El Paso, Texas, his final stop in a city where an anti-immigrant gunman had shot 22 people dead. "The love, the respect for the office of the presidency. It was, I wish you could have been in there to see it."

But go ahead and keep complaining about CNN's exposing Trump's lies.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18026 on: August 07, 2019, 11:23:41 PM »

Mia Love:  "It should have been (remained) a private moment"

Yep.  But the mayor and Sen. Brown commented - which provoked a Trump rebuttal.

Why did they comment?  The PRESS asked them to, I'd imagine.

Should have been private, indeed.  All accounts - including by the mayor - say Trump handled that part well.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 11:26:59 PM by kiidcarter8 »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18027 on: August 08, 2019, 12:02:45 AM »

Josh

When did it start?

Back to normal-thanks.

I think your situation had nothing to do with me or this site, while Yank's did - unless Yank's is still not fixed, in which case his did not, either!

Josh, I have been locked out since last Friday.  Still have to go through verification every time I post.

The last change I made was on July 29. The one before that was June 23. I undid the July 29 change. The verification issue is beyond me and so, too, any problems more recent than June 23.

Sorry!

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18028 on: August 08, 2019, 12:05:03 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/07/opinions/the-child-separation-travesty-is-a-pointless-waste-long-mukherjee/index.html

Still keeping children against both the law and good sense.

This tells about the cancellation of an effective program which got a nearly perfect attendance among united families not detained for less than a 20th the cost of detention at private facilities.

Corrupt, top down.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18029 on: August 08, 2019, 12:19:32 AM »

It's the video games!

Pages: 1 ... 1200 1201 [1202] 1203 1204 ... 4288