Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1207 1208 [1209] 1210 1211 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583553 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #18121 on: August 09, 2019, 09:07:15 AM »

It's clear you don't have children.

If you're in a plane that's in trouble, they tell you to affix your mask first...look after yourself first, then you're in a position to help children/others.

From what I've seen of adult children lately, and the way they treat their older/elderly parents, I wouldn't advise putting adult children before yourself.
It's clear you don't have children. Good.

At least my son can't hack me to death in my own home like one unfortunate father had happen to him the other day.
If your genes are out of the pool, the better for humanity.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 09:08:55 AM by Hairy Lime »
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18122 on: August 09, 2019, 09:10:53 AM »

"Having kids would be wonderful, honey. But they might hack us to death and steal our money when they are older. We'd best not." I understimated the originality in your thinking, bambu.
I imagine that speech came from his wife, on the second night of their honeymoon. Once was enough, no matter how brief.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

barton

« Reply #18123 on: August 09, 2019, 10:07:18 AM »

Dogpile.

Or, dingopile.

Bit of a digress, but I liked Bob Odenkirk's Trumpish fool of a POTUS in "Long Shot." 

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #18124 on: August 09, 2019, 11:01:37 AM »

Dogpile.

Or, dingopile.

Bit of a digress, but I liked Bob Odenkirk's Trumpish fool of a POTUS in "Long Shot."

I've been noticing distinctly Trumpian depictions of our highest office in our culture lately, but not all of them actually post-Trump.  I was reading Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator with the kids not long ago, and the President in that book is an entitled buffoon of privilege who also doesn't know how little he knows, gets his news from the television, is obsessed with his hotel project, and whose VP is his childhood nanny.   And Dahl wrote it almost 50 years ago.

Main difference I could find is that the book ends with the group ecstatic that they received an invitation to see the President at the White House.  Not currently a can't miss event under Trump. 

And with the hospital he visited in El Paso needing to bring in already discharged patients to find some that actually wanted to meet him.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #18125 on: August 09, 2019, 11:27:18 AM »

about those raids...

https://thinkprogress.org/ice-raids-follow-massive-sexual-harassment-settlement-mississippi-plant-koch-foods-d95eb2720f67/

Turns out it wasn't about immigration at all.

If the raids were about illegal immigrants, ICE would be raiding the Trump Org and their properties.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18126 on: August 09, 2019, 11:31:17 AM »

"We have this notion that somehow if you're poor you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids -- wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids. No, I really mean it, but think how we think about it," he said. "They can do anything that anybody else can do, given a shot," he added later.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18127 on: August 09, 2019, 11:32:25 AM »

about those raids...

https://thinkprogress.org/ice-raids-follow-massive-sexual-harassment-settlement-mississippi-plant-koch-foods-d95eb2720f67/

If the raids were about illegal immigrants, ICE would be raiding the Trump Org and their properties.

I've heard that almost half have already been released, but I cannot find where I heard it.
ETA:
https://www.npr.org/2019/08/09/749638655/some-300-arrested-in-mississippi-immigration-raids-have-been-released-officials
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

oilcan

« Reply #18128 on: August 09, 2019, 12:26:41 PM »

barton

« Reply #18129 on: August 09, 2019, 12:35:37 PM »

about those raids...

From today's Post:

OSSINING, N.Y. — For nearly two decades, the Trump Organization has relied on a roving crew of Latin American employees to build fountains and waterfalls, sidewalks and rock walls at the company’s winery and its golf courses from New York to Florida.

Other employees at Trump clubs were so impressed by the laborers — who did strenuous work with heavy stone — that they nicknamed them “Los Picapiedras,” Spanish for “the Flintstones.”

For years, their ranks have included workers who entered the United States illegally, according to two former members of the crew. Another employee, still with the company, said that remains true today.

President Trump “doesn’t want undocumented people in the country,” said one worker, Jorge Castro, a 55-year-old immigrant from Ecuador without legal status who left the company in April after nine years. “But at his properties, he still has them.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/if-youre-a-good-worker-papers-dont-matter-how-a-trump-construction-crew-has-relied-on-immigrants-without-legal-status/2019/08/09/cf59014a-b3ab-11e9-8e94-71a35969e4d8_story.html

Simplified Translation for 280 character attention spans:  "Trump is a corrupt lying hypocritical gasbag."

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18130 on: August 09, 2019, 01:23:35 PM »

about those raids...

I've heard that almost half have already been released, but I cannot find where I heard it.
ETA:
https://www.npr.org/2019/08/09/749638655/some-300-arrested-in-mississippi-immigration-raids-have-been-released-officials

Thanks for the link.  I see it was handled quite well.

barton

« Reply #18131 on: August 09, 2019, 01:31:46 PM »

So they will be moving on to the winery and golf courses, then?  That is good news!  I so appreciate when the administration enforces the law consistently and fairly. 

As I'm sure you've said many times:  No one is above the law. 

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #18132 on: August 09, 2019, 02:20:15 PM »

On the issue of gentrification, and quickly rising rents, the renters can form unions, and they can negotiate with the owners as one unit, instead of trickling out when they can no longer afford to live in their apartments. And the housing authorities can work together with the renters union, to fight for fair rent prices for people, and to help people to be able to stay in their apartments instead of ending up homeless. We have record numbers of homeless people right now. Forming unions and using collective bargaining can help some people to be able to stay in their apartments.

Also, like with a local trailer park, the city council stepped in and did a rent freeze while they negotiated in order to keep the people in their homes.

The best way to stop homelessness is to stop people from being homeless in the first place.

Prevention is what is needed, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Forming renters unions, working together with housing authorities, and working together with the Mayor and the City Council, can help to keep people in their homes, and off of the streets.

Salute,

Tony V.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #18133 on: August 09, 2019, 05:47:33 PM »

"Having kids would be wonderful, honey. But they might hack us to death and steal our money when they are older. We'd best not." I understimated the originality in your thinking, bambu.

We tried.
I wasn't keen...had just left the war of high school, the war of fighting with father with screaming matches in the living room most nights over the Vietnam war draft ["nuke em", "forcing me into the military is Nazi Germany", "all the way with LBJ, baaah"...I said], …..and a few short years later I was then gonna have to fight with toddlers, 9 yr olds, 12 yr olds, then teenagers...my head was hurting from the pain.
But as a dutiful Christian boy ["go forth and procreate" or whatever it is] and dutiful husband I went along with the idea.
Many miscarriages later [women in the family had lots of trouble ] I went off the idea.
I went totally off the idea when a man at work informed me that women die in pregnancy and childbirth.
Go woke, go broke.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18134 on: August 09, 2019, 05:54:01 PM »

about those raids...

ETA:

'

Because to you merely traumatizing children for 1 night constitutes handling it well. Plus taking some minors.

You remain an insensitive prick who complains about being dehumanizing while complimenting ICE and Trump for their dehumanizing of others.
Pages: 1 ... 1207 1208 [1209] 1210 1211 ... 4288