Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1218 1219 [1220] 1221 1222 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1605618 times)

luee

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #18285 on: August 12, 2019, 09:34:54 AM »

BHO was not an open borders guy except for Somalian Muslims, It seems to have become part of the democratic agenda when HRC was pushed  by Bernie to be more progressive. Abandoning her centrist roots probably lost her the unions, the mid-west, and ultimately the election.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18286 on: August 12, 2019, 10:56:45 AM »

---Scaramucci: GOP may need to replace Trump for 2020---

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/457050-scaramucci-gop-may-need-to-replace-trump-for-2020

Make many happy. To separate his erratic and abrasive personality from party agenda. Is it realistic?

I think Mooch said HE was in favor of a new top of the ticket

Whether it’s necessary is debatable

I am undecided, as we need to first see the names of a potential replacement
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18287 on: August 12, 2019, 11:11:49 AM »

BHO was not an open borders guy except for Somalian Muslims, It seems to have become part of the democratic agenda when HRC was pushed  by Bernie to be more progressive. Abandoning her centrist roots probably lost her the unions, the mid-west, and ultimately the election.

zzzzzzzzzzzz
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #18288 on: August 12, 2019, 11:18:19 AM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/457050-scaramucci-gop-may-need-to-replace-trump-for-2020

Make many happy. To separate his erratic and abrasive personality from party agenda. Is it realistic?

The characterization of his statement was correct.  He is not stating a mere preference, but saying that the country may be headed toward disaster if Trump is allowed to stay in power past 2020.

Naturally, that is "debatable" but if you see the debate as not one of mere degrees, then you can only be so far into the bag for Trump that your continued claims to be "undecided" are laughable.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #18289 on: August 12, 2019, 11:21:20 AM »

The characterization of his statement was correct.  He is not stating a mere preference, but saying that the country may be headed toward disaster if Trump is allowed to stay in power past 2020.

Naturally, that is "debatable" but if you see the debate as not one of mere degrees, then you can only be so far into the bag for Trump that your continued claims to be "undecided" are laughable.

And to be clear, I generally don't hold the judgement of "Mooch" above anyone else's except that he is someone that for however short a time witnessed the workings of our "president" first hand.  I do, however, agree with his judgement on this.  And can't understand how any rational person who holds this country dear could possible think any other way.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #18290 on: August 12, 2019, 11:36:33 AM »

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

Yeah, about that.  Actually we only want immigrants you come here with money:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/12/politics/legal-immigration-public-charge/index.html

Making America Great Again.

oilcan

« Reply #18291 on: August 12, 2019, 12:00:17 PM »

Once, long ago, I think we could have had a public conversation in the US about what we want immigrant policy to be.  The problem is that a lot of people have kind of vague and conflicting ideas, or just various mythologies.  If, as the administration suggests, we should only allow in people who don't need public assistance of any kind to establish themselves, then we should also look at what happens to people who are then in stuck in countries like Mexico, El Salvador, et al.  If we identify the problem as poverty and poor government in those places, what should be our role in helping to fix that?  The ultimate solution, if the goal is to diminish immigration from troubled spots, is to be part of fixing the trouble and help those nations be so hospitable to their inhabitants that they don't want to flee northward.  In other words, prevention tends to be better than cure.  And costs less, longterm.  Civilizations that lose the capacity to develop longterm solutions, and do everything on the short term, "management by crisis," method, don't tend to endure.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #18292 on: August 12, 2019, 12:10:01 PM »

Once, long ago, I think we could have had a public conversation in the US about what we want immigrant policy to be.  The problem is that a lot of people have kind of vague and conflicting ideas, or just various mythologies.  If, as the administration suggests, we should only allow in people who don't need public assistance of any kind to establish themselves, then we should also look at what happens to people who are then in stuck in countries like Mexico, El Salvador, et al.  If we identify the problem as poverty and poor government in those places, what should be our role in helping to fix that?  The ultimate solution, if the goal is to diminish immigration from troubled spots, is to be part of fixing the trouble and help those nations be so hospitable to their inhabitants that they don't want to flee northward.  In other words, prevention tends to be better than cure.  And costs less, longterm.  Civilizations that lose the capacity to develop longterm solutions, and do everything on the short term, "management by crisis," method, don't tend to endure.

The premise underpinning the rule change, that immigrants are a burden to taxpayers, is pure mythology.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18293 on: August 12, 2019, 12:57:59 PM »

The premise underpinning the rule change, that immigrants are a burden to taxpayers, is pure mythology.

But Luee likes it, just as he thinks we lack houses for the homeless.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #18295 on: August 12, 2019, 01:08:57 PM »

I don't drink.

Maybe you should. It might kill the bug up your ass.
The beauty of HamiltonIII, or whatever name it happens to be posting under, is the complete lack of a sense irony it possesses.

TRANSLATION:
Yank likes to snack, but hates getting smacked back.

SAME as it ever was.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18296 on: August 12, 2019, 01:14:06 PM »

I don't drink.

The beauty of HamiltonIII, or whatever name it happens to be posting under, is the complete lack of a sense irony it possesses.

SAME as it ever was.

Exactly right.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18297 on: August 12, 2019, 01:15:58 PM »

I don't drink.

IRONY!!!
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18298 on: August 12, 2019, 01:16:47 PM »

Why trying to convince racists that they are racists and climate deniers that the climate crisis is real are a waste of time:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/02/27/why-facts-dont-change-our-minds

Yes, that has been posted here before.

Yes, cognitive dissonance is real.

Yes, I know. It affects me, too.

But at least I admit it.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #18299 on: August 12, 2019, 01:17:56 PM »

I don't drink.

IRONY!!!
The dictionary definition is less than 280 characters if you'd like to look it up. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 01:19:46 PM by Yankguy1 »
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar
Pages: 1 ... 1218 1219 [1220] 1221 1222 ... 4288