Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1226 1227 [1228] 1229 1230 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1599395 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #18405 on: August 13, 2019, 06:51:13 PM »

Where did you find out the news?
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18406 on: August 13, 2019, 06:53:57 PM »

Hey Red you forgot.to give the cite so we.can make sure you are not lying again. Or at least, make sure you are not once again confusing overturning Citizens United with radically curtailing freedom of speech.
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and distribution was made to each as any had need.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #18407 on: August 13, 2019, 07:03:41 PM »

If it becomes a basket case, it won't be able to assist anyone, in any way...inside or outside its borders.
The roads are already carparks, there isn't enough housing for everyone, people are starving-eating out of garbage bins, there are cities overrun with garbage in the streets, people living under tarps on the streets...etc.
Brining in millions more needy people gonna?

(a) It's already a basket case and the rest of the world knows it.

(b) I told you that you were full of shit on the "not enough homes" line, but you neither believed me nor bothered to look up the facts for yourself, which is par fo the course for you. So... "The short answer is that there are roughly 18,600,000 vacant homes in the United States as of February 2014. There are 600,000 Americans who experience homelessness on any given night, making the amount of vacant homes six times the amount of individuals without a place to sleep at night."

It has not changed significantly in the interening 5.5 years.

(c) We have the solutions to the trash on the streets and the homeless folks. We choose not to deal with it. We also have the solution to poverty and we choose not to deal with that, either.

(d) "The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) said 116,000 people were homeless on census night in 2016, representing 50 homeless people per 10,000."

In the US, it's 17 homeless people per 10,000. Shut the fuck up and deal with your own problems, asshole.

What happened to that commitment to try to increase the quality of your posts?!

We're talking about America.

And now we are talking about Australia.

Your country has a bigger homelessness problem than ours. What gives?

I've been out all day.
I'll investigate and give you an answer tomorrow...it's now 4.45pm.

My guess is...unemployment, mental illness, no chance of buying a home during lifetime because of illness/something else...cost of housing, cost of renting...wanting to live in the big cities rather than in rural areas...and useless politicians.

Al of my guess...plus;

Homelessness can be caused by poverty, unemployment or by a shortage of affordable housing, or it can be triggered by family breakdown, mental illness, sexual assault, addiction, financial difficulty, gambling or social isolation. Domestic violence is the single biggest cause of homelessness in Australia.
Go woke, go broke.

barton

« Reply #18408 on: August 13, 2019, 07:05:09 PM »

When you try and get big money out of politics, in Red's world, you're limiting the sacred freedom of oligarchs to buy elections.   Free speech = the rich getting to shout louder than the rest of us.  Here is the article, which he just lifted the headline from...

https://reason.com/2019/08/12/every-democrat-in-the-senate-supports-a-constitutional-amendment-that-would-radically-curtail-freedom-of-speech/

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #18409 on: August 13, 2019, 07:22:19 PM »

Yesterday around 2pm in Sydney CBD a man allegedly shouting "Allahu akbar" allegedly slit the throat of a reported 21 yr old sex worker girl in her own apartment, then stabbed a woman in the back in the street before running thru the city looking for more victims to hack to death with the large knife he was carrying.
Luckily, he seemed crazy in the head, doing irrational things instead of concentrating on slaughtering people.
Could've been because chasing after him were 4 men, 3 armed with a cafe chair and their bare hands, and one armed with an axe from his fire truck.

Yes, "Let's roll" [all praise to those American guys on that plane 9/11 who sought to fight back and save lives.]

After him they went, chased him thru the streets...finally managing to knock him off his feet, then hold him down with the chair, and put a milk crate over his head until the cops arrived.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/uk-proud-of-ex-footballer-at-centre-of-sydney-stabbing-rampage/ar-AAFKHvU?li=AAgfLCP&OCID=AVRES000[/url]

UK 'proud' of ex footballer at centre of Sydney stabbing rampage

As news unfurled across Australia of the deadly stabbing in Sydney's CBD, the UK woke to find it was three British men who were being hailed heroes half a world away for their roles in the rampage.

Brothers Paul and Luke O'Shaughnessy and Lee Cuthbert, all from Manchester, about 330km north of London, saw the drama unfold and chased suspect Mert Ney down.

They pinned him to the ground and put a milk crate over his head and a chair over his torso to stop him from escaping until police arrived.

Go woke, go broke.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18410 on: August 13, 2019, 07:59:24 PM »

Got link?

or you just heard this as you were downing your 14th pumpkin spice corndog?

Like Tulsi and Cory, I am vegetarian, so I wonder how they handle those state fair moments when you are offered some kind of meat on a stick.  If they're like me, they just take a few bites and figure it saves from the pride of total purity.

On MSNBC, Pete Buttigieg said of the president’s first tweet, “He’s already made it about himself. And he’s on Twitter when he probably should be in the Situation Room trying to figure out how the U.S. could in some way be an effective voice for stability.”

Getting killed here for another round of clueless comments re: the situation in HK:

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/trump-criticized-for-comments-on-hong-kong-protests-tough-situation-i-hope-it-works-out-for-everybody/

The President of the United States very clearly has zero clue about what is going on in the most current and pressing geopolitical situation in the world.

This is scary stuff.

It has been asked often how Trump would respond to a disaster not of his own making.  Luckily nothing at a global scale has happened over the last 2 1/2 years to test the question.

Hopefully HK won't be that test.  Because there is no question that this "president" will fail it.

How about you tell us how to play it. Or are you just going to wait to see what he does, then slam him?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #18411 on: August 13, 2019, 08:25:20 PM »

How about you tell us how to play it. Or are you just going to wait to see what he does, then slam him?

Yawn.

Read my post, its clear "how to play it."  Start by not sounding like a complete moron who doesn't have any idea what is going on there.  Then make it clear that the US does not see the protests as "riots" and recognize and support moves toward democratic reforms.  Then don't dismiss the threat that China poses to the demonstrators with a shrug, saying its up to China to deal with them as it pleases, but make it clear that it would be damaging to the US-China relationship if there is a crackdown.

But that's really the problem here, isn't it.  Trump doesn't give a fuck if there is a crackdown.  He actively supports and kotows to the world's anti-democratic strongmen, and wishes he could run the US the same way.  As has been pointed out many times, that stance has real consequences.  Here, and to the degree of freedom people enjoy in other parts of the world.

Something Conservatives used to at least pretend they cared about, but just another priority that goes to the wayside on the road to the GOP becoming the party of Trump.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #18413 on: August 13, 2019, 09:00:03 PM »

Yawn.

Read my post, its clear "how to play it."  Start by not sounding like a complete moron who doesn't have any idea what is going on there.  Then make it clear that the US does not see the protests as "riots" and recognize and support moves toward democratic reforms.  Then don't dismiss the threat that China poses to the demonstrators with a shrug, saying its up to China to deal with them as it pleases, but make it clear that it would be damaging to the US-China relationship if there is a crackdown.

But that's really the problem here, isn't it.  Trump doesn't give a fuck if there is a crackdown.  He actively supports and kotows to the world's anti-democratic strongmen, and wishes he could run the US the same way.  As has been pointed out many times, that stance has real consequences.  Here, and to the degree of freedom people enjoy in other parts of the world.

Something Conservatives used to at least pretend they cared about, but just another priority that goes to the wayside on the road to the GOP becoming the party of Trump.

And just to make this extra clear; the above would not be the result of a specific foreign policy strategy, or representative of partisan ideology.  "Playing" this impending crisis in this way would be the bare minimum of what would be expected of the President of a United States that values Democracy over Autocracy.

Our "president" is a failure.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18414 on: August 13, 2019, 09:02:21 PM »

A moderator altering posts

Good Lord, man - get a grip.

I had a grip. It allowed me to make your twits less twit-like.

If you provided your own context for the labelless posts, I wouldn't bother, but if I have the time going forward, I will do that.

Instead, why don't you either tell us what the quote says or if it is an image, tell us what it is. News articles that don't say what they are in the links should have the same thing done out of courtesy for other readers, like all those women we're going to be bringing in!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18415 on: August 13, 2019, 09:05:38 PM »

https://twitter.com/KayaJones/status/1160952865797615616

If only President Trump were as supportive of our country as these folks are - and if only he believed in democracy.

Unfortunately, he believes in allowing foreign meddling in our elections, indeed embraces it.

Not that you can admit that, Kid.

And not that the US is going to lift a finger to support these protesters.

Not everything needs a Trump-related comment

He's in your head, man. 

Relax.

Yeah, so what if he's going to leave those folks out to get beaten! No business of the U.S., huh?!

Besides, once they've been crushed he can make a great show of outrage!

He may be in my head, but you lost your heart and soul to him long ago, Kid.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18416 on: August 13, 2019, 09:11:05 PM »

Got link?

or you just heard this as you were downing your 14th pumpkin spice corndog?

Like Tulsi and Cory, I am vegetarian, so I wonder how they handle those state fair moments when you are offered some kind of meat on a stick.  If they're like me, they just take a few bites and figure it saves from the pride of total purity.

On MSNBC, Pete Buttigieg said of the president’s first tweet, “He’s already made it about himself. And he’s on Twitter when he probably should be in the Situation Room trying to figure out how the U.S. could in some way be an effective voice for stability.”

Getting killed here for another round of clueless comments re: the situation in HK:

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/trump-criticized-for-comments-on-hong-kong-protests-tough-situation-i-hope-it-works-out-for-everybody/

The President of the United States very clearly has zero clue about what is going on in the most current and pressing geopolitical situation in the world.

This is scary stuff.

It has been asked often how Trump would respond to a disaster not of his own making.  Luckily nothing at a global scale has happened over the last 2 1/2 years to test the question.

Hopefully HK won't be that test.  Because there is no question that this "president" will fail it.

What a joke!

This question from the guy who won't even say what a manager he's criticized should do instead?

So bold, Kid! So expressive of your own ideas.

Yeah, you haven't taken sides like Trump hasn't taken sides.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18417 on: August 13, 2019, 09:14:54 PM »

Kid hated having his tweets explained so much that he deleted them.

Too fucking funny.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18419 on: August 14, 2019, 12:31:32 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 1226 1227 [1228] 1229 1230 ... 4288