Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1246 1247 [1248] 1249 1250 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583886 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #18705 on: August 18, 2019, 11:10:54 AM »

Bo seems to think that israel is among the most repressive countries on earth.

I think Bo may have an unspoken agenda.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #18706 on: August 18, 2019, 11:28:11 AM »

Israel’s right wing has negatively affected the nation of Israel Get past the “Black hats and White hats” paradigm.

Isreal’s Leadership is embracing the same nationalist posture as the rest of the Putin disciples in Europe and it is frightening because it makes more space in the occupied territories for pissed off assholes who thrive on the chaos.

Having PM Bibi using his government’s power to stay out of jail should give you pause.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #18707 on: August 18, 2019, 11:39:32 AM »

Israel’s right wing has negatively affected the nation of Israel Get past the “Black hats and White hats” paradigm.

Isreal’s Leadership is embracing the same nationalist posture as the rest of the Putin disciples in Europe and it is frightening because it makes more space in the occupied territories for pissed off assholes who thrive on the chaos.

Having PM Bibi using his government’s power to stay out of jail should give you pause.

I'm not a Bibi fan. I think he's dangerous and a criminal.

But bigger picture, I think its more a gray hat/black hat paradigm.

And my take is the black hats want to exterminate the gray hats and have for a long time and as a result the gray hats have become darker over time.

But I believe the gray hats have a right to exist.

I understand that others may disagree with me.

luee

• View Profile
Re: [insert Gandhi quote here]
« Reply #18708 on: August 18, 2019, 12:40:14 PM »

This is a violent primitive culture arising from the shadows of the dark ages promoting suicidal mass murder, rape and pillage.

And yet it's America who is involved in one endless war (on Terror!), has two wars deep into their 2nd decade, endlessly gets into wars, is the biggest arms dealer in the world, has military bases round the world, resorted to rendition and torture when frightened, etc.  How advanced and civilized! 

Violence, mass murder, pillage ... what's more American than that?

Serious question.
Luee, have you ever been in a Muslim country?
Have you ever been inside a mosque?

I was there on 9-11 looking across the river wondering what savages could do something like that. Than hearing OBL calling it a great victory in manhattan. Read about how they prayed to big Mo and hoped to see him soon with the hories. Researched a bit about big Mo the pedophile and the Koran. No, big Mo is not just like Jesus only better. Love thy neighbor is not the same as kill your enemy wherever you find him. Islam is in desperate need of an enlightenment. Do you know you can be executed for just having a bible in many Moslem lands? No thanks not on my itinerary.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

barton

« Reply #18709 on: August 18, 2019, 12:42:15 PM »

And my take is the black hats want to exterminate the gray hats and have for a long time and as a result the gray hats have become darker over time.

The right to exist is the basic of my posts on this.   When you beat the shit out of people for over half a century, they do tend to get pissed, and radicalize.   Hats do turn darker.

If, in all posts, we replaced Israel with "United States" and Arab/Palestinian with "native American," I think almost everyone would more easily grasp the real cost, in human terms, of treating people as if they are accidents on the landscape. 

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #18710 on: August 18, 2019, 12:46:29 PM »

I think the Grey Hats have nukes so no one is gonna wipe them out. The Black hats are also Gray, dig?

In essence the rightwing has been rewarded for the murder of Rabin. 
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #18711 on: August 18, 2019, 12:50:44 PM »

No I am not an American self-loather. Have you ever wondered why so many want to come to the shiny shores if it is so terrible? People are not risking life and limb to migrate to Iraq or Pakistan.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #18712 on: August 18, 2019, 12:51:20 PM »

I think the Grey Hats have nukes so no one is gonna wipe them out. The Black hats are also Gray, dig?

and if the black hats in my scenario had nukes, we would have had the Holy war to end all Holy wars.

Dig?

So keeping the nukes out of the real crazy religious fanatics is kind of important.

But I understand that others may disagree.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #18713 on: August 18, 2019, 12:54:05 PM »

I don't know why everyone has to take everything to extremes.
When discussing Israel, it's fair to discuss its flaws and problems.
It's really no defense of Israel to note that other countries are worse.
And I don't appreciate the insinuation that I'm anti-Israel or anti-Jewish (or pro-terrorist, another common Israeli distraction/accusation)

I think of occupying Israel as somewhat akin to segregationist America.
It needs to live up to human rights and intl law and it's own ideals to make itself a better society.  Again, the last election in Israel was Bibi against four hardline generals.  It's sad that orthodox settlers and Russian hardliners have taken over, and Labor has become a shell of its former self.

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #18714 on: August 18, 2019, 01:02:48 PM »

I was in Israel two years ago.  Also spent a few days in the southern West Bank.  Really the West Bank has been essentially carved into two halves.  Just look at a map.  The lack of contact between Israelis and Palestinians was surprising and perpetuates mistrust and misunderstanding.  Things were much more separate than I expected.  Palestinians were very welcoming, in need of tourist spending but also wanting to get their story out to the world.  Just normal people going about their daily life, while subject to various hassles and humiliations.

In Israel proper, I thought Jerusalem was amazing.  And for anyone who goes, the Tel Aviv airport is 20 mins from Tel Aviv but only 35 mins form Jerusalem, so go to Jerusalem first. TA had nice cafes and restaurants, but was pricier and not that interesting for us.  It's supposed to be quite fun during the Summer, but we were there in Feb.   Nazareth and the North was interesting as well.  Nazareth the main Arab-Israeli city and known for its food scene. 

Actually planning a possible trip to Lebanon and Cyprus.  And considering flying into Israel and spending a few days to do things we missed (Masada, the Dead Sea for more than the 15 minutes we had there, the Jordan River baptismal site, maybe somewhere in north West Bank such as Ramallah). 

Unfortunately, you can't cross the IL/Lebanon border.
While Lebanon doesn't allow anyone who has been to Israel to enter Lebanon.  I have a new passport so my Jordan exit stamp can't be found.  But my travel mates could be found out.  Tricky. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #18715 on: August 18, 2019, 01:12:33 PM »

No I am not an American self-loather. Have you ever wondered why so many want to come to the shiny shores if it is so terrible? People are not risking life and limb to migrate to Iraq or Pakistan.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/denmark-offers-to-buy-us

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #18716 on: August 18, 2019, 01:16:45 PM »

Have you ever wondered why so many want to come to the shiny shores if it is so terrible?

No one said America is terrible.
You simplistically painted all Muslim societies as primitive, medieval, murderous.  I merely pointed out that the US is the one rampaging around the globe killing people.  Like every society, the US has its share of problems.  Wars abroad; incarceration rates, racism and failed drug prohibition at home for starters.

I always like when the US says that Iran is destabilizing the ME, when that is exactly what the US invading Iraq did.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18717 on: August 18, 2019, 01:28:21 PM »

Have you ever wondered why so many want to come to the shiny shores if it is so terrible?

No one said America is terrible.
You simplistically painted all Muslim societies as primitive, medieval, murderous.  I merely pointed out that the US is the one rampaging around the globe killing people.  Like every society, the US has its share of problems.  Wars abroad; incarceration rates, racism and failed drug prohibition at home for starters.
Not to mention bigoted assholes like luee who think America is so great it should be reserved for them and people who look like them. And who never get the disconnect between their vision of America and how they think of and treat the people actually trying to live out that vision.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18718 on: August 18, 2019, 01:29:20 PM »

I don't know why everyone has to take everything to extremes.  -    Exactly, like those ANTIFUCKS - no need for them at all

When discussing Israel, it's fair to discuss its flaws and problems.    -   Fairly

It's really no defense of Israel to note that other countries are worse.  -   Sure, partially, especially if you believe they acted wisely

And I don't appreciate the insinuation that I'm anti-Israel or anti-Jewish (or pro-terrorist, another common Israeli distraction/accusation)  -    Noted

I think of occupying Israel as somewhat akin to segregationist America.  -      uh.....ok

It needs to live up to human rights and intl law and it's own ideals to make itself a better society.  Again, the last election in Israel was Bibi against four hardline generals.  It's sad that orthodox settlers and Russian hardliners have taken over, and Labor has become a shell of its former self.    -    Popular guy

Enjoy the day
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 01:52:19 PM by kiidcarter8 »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #18719 on: August 18, 2019, 01:29:58 PM »

and if the black hats in my scenario had nukes, we would have had the Holy war to end all Holy wars.

Dig?

So keeping the nukes out of the real crazy religious fanatics is kind of important.

But I understand that others may disagree.

The other side doesn’t have nukes...

Then why sabotage efforts to dissuade Iran  from developing nukes?

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 1246 1247 [1248] 1249 1250 ... 4288