Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1252 1253 [1254] 1255 1256 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583525 times)

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #18795 on: August 19, 2019, 02:55:59 PM »

And why isn't anyone here talking about Kashmir!

I need to see at least three pages of debate of India's crackdown on the region on this forum before I accept any posted criticisms of Israel.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #18796 on: August 19, 2019, 03:30:59 PM »

When people are miserable, and hungry, and uneducated, then it is easy to point them at something as being the source of their misery, but when people are happy and well fed, and educated, then it is harder to get them to fight among themselves, or to point them in the direction that you want them to go. Especially in a nation where all men are created equal, with liberty and justice for all.

People are poor and struggling right now, and we have a lot of ignorant people, so Trump is blaming the Mexicans, and the Latino immigrants, as being the source of their problems.

The answer is to help people, help the struggling people, and help them to become educated, and teach them the ways of wisdom and peace, and prosperity. Teach them to love their neighbors, and economies can be improved by building relationships and expanding trade.

The Bible says to love your enemies. And that is how you win. That is how the world gets better.

The enemies are poverty, and hunger, and ignorance, and hate, and oppression, and racism, etc.

Calling all Republicans "Nazis" is not going to win anyone over in support of the words on our Statue of Liberty, welcoming the homeless from all over the world. Attacking people will only make things worse. You need to have patience, and you need to take the time to teach them, without getting upset. They are not bad people, their heads are just full of lies that they have been fed, and many are poor and struggling, you need to appeal to their humanity, and win them over from a place of love and prosperity.

And in the USA we create our own laws, so as we improve the way that people view our Latino neighbors, etc, then we need to change our immigration laws to reflect who we are as Americans. We need to make our immigrants legal and we need to change the laws so the future immigrants can be legal, etc. We are a nation of immigrants, we are all equal, and we all have equal rights.

And the intellectuals and the artists and the musicians, and the actors and filmmakers, and writers, and poets, etc, can help to win the battle against all of the bad things that we are up against.

The Lord knows I will do my part to help to make the world a better place, as a caretaker and citizen of the USA, and as a human being.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 03:36:20 PM by FlyingVProd »

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18797 on: August 19, 2019, 03:35:32 PM »

The coverage and slant of news in the US greatly favors Israel.
I don't this is self-evident and not debatable.  All the terms and presentation favor a pro-Israel view of the situation.  I can pick examples out of almost any general news article if you want.

Israel and the US mount fierce diplomatic campaigns and apply pressure to prevent countries and the UN from recognizing Palestine as a state.  Isn't this well-known?  They especially don't want the Palestinians having access to international criminal courts, who would likely rule against Israeli violations of international law.

The Palestinians are allowed a very limited gov't, overseen and restricted by Israel.

Gaza.  Israel maintains an air-sea-land blockade.
Only allowing enough basic supplies in to keep mass starvation at bay.
IL also shoots people on their own territory who approach a fenced border.

Israel has divided the West Bank into three sectors, the majority of which is controlled and policed by Israeli soldiers.  IL controls movement and construction throughout the WB.  Israel collect taxes and decides how and when to pass that on to the Palestinians.

Iran is the enemy of the USA, not Israel. Wake up.
So is Russia, if we are being non-sequitorious. Just because Israel is an ally shouldn't mean we do not.raise.issues when their actions are wrong, or are harmful to our long term self interest.

Haven't heard those two Congress women say anything about Iran. Don't be distracted by Israel. Iran is the threat to stabilization in the region, and in Central Asia. Wake the fuck up.
Israel's failure to deal effectively, justly and humanely with the Palestinian issue is a  long term threat to stability in the region and our national interests and would be so regardless of Iran's international ambitions. Wake the fuck up.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #18798 on: August 19, 2019, 03:36:59 PM »

Iran is the threat to stabilization in the region, and in Central Asia. Wake the fuck up.

Your post is Orwellian.
The US attacked and waged war on Afghanistan and Iraq, the neighbors on either side of Iran.  Destroying their gov'ts, killing and displacing large chunks of their population, unleashing sectarian violence, while unable to secure any kind of stable gov't in the war's aftermath.  Indeed fighting and insurgency have been their post-war fates for the past decade and a half.  Yet you claim it's Iran that is the threat to regional stabilization.  Unbelievable.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 04:15:25 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #18799 on: August 19, 2019, 03:44:36 PM »

And why isn't anyone here talking about Kashmir!
Well, it's just that I so rarely wear sweaters anymore. Moths got at my last Kashmir sweater.

I need to see at least three pages of debate of India's crackdown on the region on this forum before I accept any posted criticisms of Israel.
Well, my normal response to something like that is no one is an omnibus. They get to choose the issues that matter to them. So far India's suppression of the Muslim population there is a simmering situation, and India's hold on US politics is not that strong. Criticism of India's current government does not draw accusations of religious bigotry, and they have yet to bar Congresspeople based on that criticism.

Plus, my spell check wants to change Kashmir to Kasmir. How important can it be?
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #18800 on: August 19, 2019, 03:46:53 PM »

Watching the rightwing freak out over the NYTimes 1619 Project.....
Just who is “ freaking out”?
History is History.
But a better question might be how come inner city blacks, 400 years later, are still enslaved by democrat -run municipal governments that provide them with substandard living conditions and dysfunctional public schools?
Nice dodge.

And amusing attempt at exculpating a party and a political philosophy that for the last 50 years has treated inner cities and the African American community with at best malign neglect and at worst outright hostility.
Nice fiction.
I assume at some level your denial helps you sleep nights.
I'm not into much fiction.  Especially yours.
LOL. Sleep well with your Trumpian bed time stories, little one.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #18801 on: August 19, 2019, 03:57:20 PM »

Well, my normal response to something like that is no one is an omnibus. They get to choose the issues that matter to them.

Well, normally I would agree.  But we have established here that if Israel's treatment of the Palestinians is something that matters to you then you are either anti-Israel or anti-Semitic or both.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #18802 on: August 19, 2019, 04:08:48 PM »

The coverage and slant of news in the US greatly favors Israel.
I don't this is self-evident and not debatable.  All the terms and presentation favor a pro-Israel view of the situation.  I can pick examples out of almost any general news article if you want.

Israel and the US mount fierce diplomatic campaigns and apply pressure to prevent countries and the UN from recognizing Palestine as a state.  Isn't this well-known?  They especially don't want the Palestinians having access to international criminal courts, who would likely rule against Israeli violations of international law.

The Palestinians are allowed a very limited gov't, overseen and restricted by Israel.

Gaza.  Israel maintains an air-sea-land blockade.
Only allowing enough basic supplies in to keep mass starvation at bay.
IL also shoots people on their own territory who approach a fenced border.

Israel has divided the West Bank into three sectors, the majority of which is controlled and policed by Israeli soldiers.  IL controls movement and construction throughout the WB.  Israel collect taxes and decides how and when to pass that on to the Palestinians.

Iran is the enemy of the USA, not Israel. Wake up.
So is Russia, if we are being non-sequitorious. Just because Israel is an ally shouldn't mean we do not.raise.issues when their actions are wrong, or are harmful to our long term self interest.

Haven't heard those two Congress women say anything about Iran. Don't be distracted by Israel. Iran is the threat to stabilization in the region, and in Central Asia. Wake the fuck up.
Israel's failure to deal effectively, justly and humanely with the Palestinian issue is a  long term threat to stability in the region and our national interests and would be so regardless of Iran's international ambitions. Wake the fuck up.

I would suggest that there is a fair degree of shared responsibility as to the failure to find a realistic solution. In the interim I'll wait until Israel returns ALL  land gained in wars, and yields to all Palestinian demands, and acts justly and humanely enough to satiate their most rabid critics. 

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #18803 on: August 19, 2019, 04:10:35 PM »

Well, my normal response to something like that is no one is an omnibus. They get to choose the issues that matter to them.

Well, normally I would agree.  But we have established here that if Israel's treatment of the Palestinians is something that matters to you then you are either anti-Israel or anti-Semitic or both.

The only thing you've established is your proclivity to erect strawmen.

No one put forth that opinion.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #18804 on: August 19, 2019, 04:13:41 PM »

News Item
August 19, 2019

WASHINGTON—Planned Parenthood Federation of America said on Monday it would withdraw from the federal Title X family-planning program rather than comply with a new Trump administration rule preventing clinics from referring patients for abortions.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #18805 on: August 19, 2019, 04:28:41 PM »

The Muslims, including the Palestinians, need to respect Israel's right to exist, and they need to give up any claim to land in Israel. The land belongs to the Israelis and is a Jewish homeland. That is the only way lasting peace is going to happen.

And the Israelis need to remain strong enough to retain their land regardless of what anyone else thinks.

On the issue of Afghanistan, and Iraq, peaceful economies need to rise in those areas, and they need to be taught the ways of peace and prosperity, Afghanistan can grow cotton like Egypt, etc. They need to be busy in healthy ways, they need to have healthy peacetime economies.

On the issue of Iran, Beverly Hills is full of Persian Jews, maybe they can help on the issue of Iran. And the Iranians need to be taught the ways of love and peace and prosperity, instead of hate.

By the way, progress has been made in Israel, I remember when they were having suicide bombers blowing themselves up at bus stops, etc. Since Arafat and Saddam died, then it has gotten more peaceful for Israel. I remember talking with people on the New York Times forums who were Jews living in Israel, and I remember when the suicide bombers were blowing themselves up, I even had a nightmare one night while sleeping about a woman on a bus with a package who blew herself up across from me, it is horrible that kind of stuff was happening in Israel and it even caused me to have a nightmare, that is the stuff of nightmares.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 04:32:01 PM by FlyingVProd »

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #18806 on: August 19, 2019, 04:31:06 PM »

The only thing you've established is your proclivity to erect strawmen.

No one put forth that opinion.

You need to take better care of your posting.  The meaning behind your accusation that bodiddley has a dark “unspoken agenda” was clear enough and when he clarified your meaning you didn’t disagree.  You said “others might disagree with me” that Israel has a right to exist, and that nukes should be kept out of the hands of (Muslim) crazy religious fanatics as though posters here do. 

And you are not alone.  Both you and Josh, posters I might otherwise respect, seem to have spent the last few days here arguing “of course Israel deserves criticism, but if you criticize it, it’s because you don’t like Jews.”

Layered on to the many problems with that line of argument, its intellectually dishonest.  I put it in the same category as Republicans who renamed the Freedom Fries because if the French are against our war in Iraq then of course they are against Freedom.

barton

« Reply #18807 on: August 19, 2019, 04:40:13 PM »

We have to start metering our criticism of human rights abuses in Israel in accord with a special Parity Posting Protocol that ensures we also sprinkle critiques of Russia, India, Phillipines, China, Iran, Myanmar, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, and every other country on Amnesty International's shit-list, all through our postings within a 48 hour time period.  This is to ensure that we do not turn into raging anti-Semites because we're raggin' on poor ol' Israel for turning Palestinian lands into giant prison compounds or just razing ancient olive groves and kicking the buggers out.  Please follow the PPP at all times so as to prevent sudden onset of SASD (Spasmodic Anti-Semitic Syndrome).  Thanks!

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18808 on: August 19, 2019, 04:48:30 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/19/opinions/portland-protest-antifa-proud-boys-opinion-obeidallah/index.html

Heed the warning (on AntiFa) or don't.

I guess until some people die ....   its all cool.

barton

« Reply #18809 on: August 19, 2019, 04:51:39 PM »

Cashmere = goat hair sweater three times more insulating than common wool.

Kashmir = country and Led Zeppelin song which rhythmically combines a trimeter with a tetrameter.  Like Bartleby the Scrivener, the country would prefer to be left alone.

Kid, way to troll. 

Pages: 1 ... 1252 1253 [1254] 1255 1256 ... 4288