Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1254 1255 [1256] 1257 1258 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1608342 times)

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
Re: Campaign Trail
« Reply #18825 on: August 19, 2019, 06:30:12 PM »

For the Democrats....

Maybe Tom Steyer as President, with Kamala Harris as Vice President. He knows business, and she knows politics.

Salute,

Tony V.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #18826 on: August 19, 2019, 06:38:46 PM »

Trump:  I am prepared for everything, but NO, I don't think there will be a recession

Ari Melber, MSNBC:  "It's one thing for Trump to say there won't be a recession, yet another to be unprepared for it."

WTF?  He said it right after he played the clip.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #18827 on: August 19, 2019, 06:52:15 PM »

I think it's right to support both the Palestinians and the Jews, and want the best for both. 

But Israel and the US control the situation.  While the Palestinians are the oppressed. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18828 on: August 19, 2019, 07:00:11 PM »

News Item
August 19, 2019

WASHINGTON—Planned Parenthood Federation of America said on Monday it would withdraw from the federal Title X family-planning program rather than comply with a new Trump administration rule preventing clinics from referring patients for abortions.
Leaving 40% of.Americans benefiting from Title X funding without access to their preferred provider, and many with no access to any provider at all. Got a replacement plan for them? Or, you know, it's just women who cares?
Hillsdale College is an example of an institution that refuses to adhere to federal mandates and
shuns the money that comes with them.  It makes up the difference by finding other sources of revenue. The new federal regulation bans abortion referrals by those who are federally funded, about $60 million dollars a year to Planned Parenthood.
Leaving 40% of Americans benefiting from Title X funding without access to their preferred provider, and many with no access to any provider at all. Got a replacement plan for them? Or, you know, it's just.women, who cares?
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #18829 on: August 19, 2019, 07:08:43 PM »

The coverage and slant of news in the US greatly favors Israel.
I don't this is self-evident and not debatable.  All the terms and presentation favor a pro-Israel view of the situation.  I can pick examples out of almost any general news article if you want.

Israel and the US mount fierce diplomatic campaigns and apply pressure to prevent countries and the UN from recognizing Palestine as a state.  Isn't this well-known?  They especially don't want the Palestinians having access to international criminal courts, who would likely rule against Israeli violations of international law.

The Palestinians are allowed a very limited gov't, overseen and restricted by Israel.

Gaza.  Israel maintains an air-sea-land blockade.
Only allowing enough basic supplies in to keep mass starvation at bay.
IL also shoots people on their own territory who approach a fenced border.

Israel has divided the West Bank into three sectors, the majority of which is controlled and policed by Israeli soldiers.  IL controls movement and construction throughout the WB.  Israel collect taxes and decides how and when to pass that on to the Palestinians.

Iran is the enemy of the USA, not Israel. Wake up.
So is Russia, if we are being non-sequitorious. Just because Israel is an ally shouldn't mean we do not.raise.issues when their actions are wrong, or are harmful to our long term self interest.

Haven't heard those two Congress women say anything about Iran. Don't be distracted by Israel. Iran is the threat to stabilization in the region, and in Central Asia. Wake the fuck up.
Israel's failure to deal effectively, justly and humanely with the Palestinian issue is a  long term threat to stability in the region and our national interests and would be so regardless of Iran's international ambitions. Wake the fuck up.

I would suggest that there is a fair degree of shared responsibility as to the failure to find a realistic solution. In the interim I'll wait until Israel returns ALL  land gained in wars, and yields to all Palestinian demands, and acts justly and humanely enough to satiate their most rabid critics.
Of course to the first part. Don't exaggerate to the second; "you can't satisfy some people" is an too often an excuse for inaction. There are people on your side of the issue for whom nothing short of the extreme will be enough as well.

If you agree to the first part, then perhaps a post explicitly stating a shared responsibility for failure should have been posted rather than label it "Israel's failure".
When the subject of debate on the Board is Israel, it is Israel. Criticizing Palestinians is rarely if ever condemned as inherently racist by the political mainstream.

And can we agree that the extremes on both sides will lead to disaster?

My point was there may be no position that Israel can take, which satisfies its critics which does not materially threaten the state.
Horse shit. The vast majority of Israel's critics - and all of its mainstream critics - want a safe and secure Israel. They just view Israel's current treatment of the Palestinians as contrary to that goal in the long term.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #18830 on: August 19, 2019, 07:10:07 PM »

Trump:  I am prepared for everything, but NO, I don't think there will be a recession

Ari Melber, MSNBC:  "It's one thing for Trump to say there won't be a recession, yet another to be unprepared for it."

Maybe because from experience Trump lies about stuff like that all the time.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #18831 on: August 19, 2019, 07:21:47 PM »

The coverage and slant of news in the US greatly favors Israel.
I don't this is self-evident and not debatable.  All the terms and presentation favor a pro-Israel view of the situation.  I can pick examples out of almost any general news article if you want.

Israel and the US mount fierce diplomatic campaigns and apply pressure to prevent countries and the UN from recognizing Palestine as a state.  Isn't this well-known?  They especially don't want the Palestinians having access to international criminal courts, who would likely rule against Israeli violations of international law.

The Palestinians are allowed a very limited gov't, overseen and restricted by Israel.

Gaza.  Israel maintains an air-sea-land blockade.
Only allowing enough basic supplies in to keep mass starvation at bay.
IL also shoots people on their own territory who approach a fenced border.

Israel has divided the West Bank into three sectors, the majority of which is controlled and policed by Israeli soldiers.  IL controls movement and construction throughout the WB.  Israel collect taxes and decides how and when to pass that on to the Palestinians.

Iran is the enemy of the USA, not Israel. Wake up.
So is Russia, if we are being non-sequitorious. Just because Israel is an ally shouldn't mean we do not.raise.issues when their actions are wrong, or are harmful to our long term self interest.

Haven't heard those two Congress women say anything about Iran. Don't be distracted by Israel. Iran is the threat to stabilization in the region, and in Central Asia. Wake the fuck up.
Israel's failure to deal effectively, justly and humanely with the Palestinian issue is a  long term threat to stability in the region and our national interests and would be so regardless of Iran's international ambitions. Wake the fuck up.

I would suggest that there is a fair degree of shared responsibility as to the failure to find a realistic solution. In the interim I'll wait until Israel returns ALL  land gained in wars, and yields to all Palestinian demands, and acts justly and humanely enough to satiate their most rabid critics.
Of course to the first part. Don't exaggerate to the second; "you can't satisfy some people" is an too often an excuse for inaction. There are people on your side of the issue for whom nothing short of the extreme will be enough as well.

If you agree to the first part, then perhaps a post explicitly stating a shared responsibility for failure should have been posted rather than label it "Israel's failure".
When the subject of debate on the Board is Israel, it is Israel. Criticizing Palestinians is rarely if ever condemned as inherently racist by the political mainstream.

And can we agree that the extremes on both sides will lead to disaster?

My point was there may be no position that Israel can take, which satisfies its critics which does not materially threaten the state.
Horse shit. The vast majority of Israel's critics - and all of its mainstream critics - want a safe and secure Israel. They just view Israel's current treatment of the Palestinians as contrary to that goal in the long term.

When the subject is Israel, the other player is generally Palestine.

its unfortunate that you 180ed so quickly on the shared responsibility/ownership of failure.

So in your opinion its all israel's fault, and the Palestiinans bear no responsibility?

Got it.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #18832 on: August 19, 2019, 07:23:25 PM »

Watching the rightwing freak out over the NYTimes 1619 Project.....
Just who is “ freaking out”?
History is History.
But a better question might be how come inner city blacks, 400 years later, are still enslaved by democrat -run municipal governments that provide them with substandard living conditions and dysfunctional public schools?
Nice dodge.

And amusing attempt at exculpating a party and a political philosophy that for the last 50 years has treated inner cities and the African American community with at best malign neglect and at worst outright hostility.
Nice fiction.

If Republicans were so concerned with the lives of "inner city blacks" you would think they would also be concerned with the resulting reduction of their electoral power inherent in their push for Voter IDs and redistricting. 

Separate matters altogether

Not if you’re me...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #18833 on: August 19, 2019, 07:27:02 PM »

Catching up on the good news.

A three-judge U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit has ruled unanimously that the inclusion of a Latin cross on the county seal in Pennsylvania does not violate the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. The decision handed down Thursday overturns an earlier ruling in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania made by District Judge Edward G. Smith.
The seal has been in use for more than "70 years without complaint — and no evidence suggests this was “due to a climate of intimidation," the judges noted in their decision.

The decision was undoubtedly influenced by SCOTUS’ ruling this year allowing the famed Bladensburg, Maryland Cross to remain on public land and signals the mothballing of the infamous
“ Lemon Test” constructed by a previous US Supreme Court

Creeping Shariah Law...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18834 on: August 19, 2019, 07:27:08 PM »

Why should anybody believe a thing the "president" says, Kid?

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18835 on: August 19, 2019, 07:29:42 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/08/19/gop-memo-lawmakers-shootings-contorno-crn-vpx.cnn

GOP lawmakers got their marching orders:
Blame the left. Minimize talk about the white supremacists.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #18836 on: August 19, 2019, 07:32:48 PM »

News Item
August 19, 2019

WASHINGTON—Planned Parenthood Federation of America said on Monday it would withdraw from the federal Title X family-planning program rather than comply with a new Trump administration rule preventing clinics from referring patients for abortions.
Leaving 40% of.Americans benefiting from Title X funding without access to their preferred provider, and many with no access to any provider at all. Got a replacement plan for them? Or, you know, it's just women who cares?
Hillsdale College is an example of an institution that refuses to adhere to federal mandates and
shuns the money that comes with them.  It makes up the difference by finding other sources of revenue. The new federal regulation bans abortion referrals by those who are federally funded, about $60 million dollars a year to Planned Parenthood.
Leaving 40% of Americans benefiting from Title X funding without access to their preferred provider, and many with no access to any provider at all. Got a replacement plan for them? Or, you know, it's just.women, who cares?
The Clinton Foundation might be a source to be tapped.
 Goodness knows it has a lot of funds in need of spending.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18837 on: August 19, 2019, 07:34:15 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/18/us/politics/trump-economy-recession.html?fbclid=IwAR3DUT_ru52MWcPHOAqqd7xb9EzQ0r8MXG6zsEqADlQT8IjmUGqWSL8OfKY

Stories about signs of a recession?

Must be a conspiracy, even including Fox, says President Trump!

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
Re: Campaign Trail
« Reply #18838 on: August 19, 2019, 07:39:11 PM »

No more fucking amateurs.

If nothing else, the last couple of years should have taught us that.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #18839 on: August 19, 2019, 07:40:05 PM »

Minimize talk about the white supremacists.
What talk?
Pages: 1 ... 1254 1255 [1256] 1257 1258 ... 4288