Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1285 1286 [1287] 1288 1289 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584444 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #19290 on: August 23, 2019, 12:46:41 PM »

Trump said doctors left operating rooms to greet him after mass shootings. Hospitals say that’s untrue.
The hospitals he visited in El Paso and Dayton said that isn’t what happened — and that doctors would never pause surgery to greet the president.
  - story lead from the Post today. 

I know, paywall, so I'm just passing along leads that amused me.  Another one:

Here’s the reason the Greenland situation is being handled by a chiropractor

And, last but not least....

When will Trump supporters finally say, ‘Okay, this is not normal’?

I'll give you a couple pgraphs of that last one...it's written by a conservative and evidences symptoms of sanity.

The left had an easy time settling on its attitude toward President Trump’s supporters: a mixture of horrified outrage and sneering contempt. For many of us on the right, though, it hasn’t been so easy. The president’s boosters aren’t our natural enemies; they’re former and hopefully future allies. For three years, we’ve been struggling to find some way to discuss Trump.

We don’t want to destroy Trump supporters but to convince them — that Trump’s main life achievements before the presidency lay in the fields of getting publicity, cheating people less powerful than himself and having a rich, politically connected father who could grease his way into the real estate business, rather than negotiating, managing or building; that impulsive, thin-skinned and belligerent people might be a great deal of fun to watch on television or Twitter but are rarely much good at their jobs; that Trump’s inexperience and lack of interest in policy have made him remarkably ineffective at pursuing even his stated political goals; and that the cost of his inexperience, his indifference to the day-to-day work of the presidency and his bitterly divisive rhetoric are not worth the transient joy of watching liberals have conniptions.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #19291 on: August 23, 2019, 12:50:42 PM »

Trump calls the Federal Reserve and its Chairman "Weak" and the "enemy." 

A reminder, kiidcarter8 clutches his pearls at how inappropriate it is for the Danish Prime Minister to call the idea of purchasing 50,000 people "absurd."

"Danish prime minister's comment on Greenland sale was inappropriate"

Discuss.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19292 on: August 23, 2019, 12:51:37 PM »

As usual, the Fed did NOTHING! It is incredible that they can “speak” without knowing or asking what I am doing, which will be announced shortly. We have a very strong dollar and a very weak Fed. I will work “brilliantly” with both, and the U.S. will do great...

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 23, 2019

....My only question is, who is our bigger enemy, Jay Powel or Chairman Xi?

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19293 on: August 23, 2019, 12:57:00 PM »

For contrast:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/15/perspectives/trade-war-trump-triumph/index.html
Trump's trade war with China will be worth the fight
(The author served as senior associate counsel and special assistant to the president in the Office of White House Counsel during the Trump administration.)

and
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/23/us/trump-obama-change-blake/index.html
Trump is doing what Obama couldn't
An irony of Trump's presidency is that he's become a catalyst for progressive change
(The author is a CNN staff writer.)
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #19294 on: August 23, 2019, 01:05:34 PM »

Can you imagine what Republicans would be saying if Obama said this?

Trump is literally saying “you can’t build that!” and is pretending he can use the power of the Federal Government to enforce that order.

nah

Probably not so simple

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #19295 on: August 23, 2019, 01:06:27 PM »

Yeah, those trade talks with China are coming right along. Any minute now...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/23/business/china-tariffs-trade-war/index.html

China slaps new tariffs on US.

Oops.

Sir, as you were asked - please hold all comments til the end

Thanks

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #19296 on: August 23, 2019, 01:09:19 PM »

Trump said doctors left operating rooms to greet him after mass shootings. Hospitals say that’s untrue.
The hospitals he visited in El Paso and Dayton said that isn’t what happened — and that doctors would never pause surgery to greet the president.

Why are they bothering hospital personnel for confirmation?  These folks are pretty busy.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #19297 on: August 23, 2019, 01:10:58 PM »

Why are they bothering hospital personnel for confirmation?  These folks are pretty busy.
Heh
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 01:41:20 PM by Yankguy1 »
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19298 on: August 23, 2019, 01:20:32 PM »

https://www.nj.com/politics/2019/08/murphy-administration-staffer-fired-after-anti-semitic-facebook-posts-surface.html

Because you and all the others strangely missed it.

And it's not a joke.

So what?  Some state employee fired off some overheated rhetoric about who a school should be named after, and that we shouldn't give money to Israel, and that U.S. treatment of African Americans was like a holocaust. 

And was fired.  I don't know that I'd disagree with everything he said (not being up on the details of NJ politics and school namings), but I see no real problem with firing a recent hire who shows bad judgement.  The bit about sterilizing Ethiopian immigrants sounded like tinfoil hat crazy, and the government is probably better off without the guy. 

The real question, since this is a political discussion forum, should be as to the truth of any of his statements.  Even a tinfoil hat guy can be correct, some of the time. 

(Please quote my reply in its entirety, if you reply.  Thank you.)

Guess you missed where he headed up the NAACP in his town?
More proof of your confirmation bias.
Ot.yours....

I can't quite figure out what he thinks I was tryiing to confirm.  Nor did I remotely suggest the guy was a suitable leader for the NAACP.  As "tinfoil hat crazy" may have suggested to someone who read my post.  Ham seems to spend a lot of time arguing with his imagination.
There is a reason he thinks the NAACP part is an important aspect that must be discussed. It rhymes with "shamilton is a mascist".
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #19299 on: August 23, 2019, 01:21:42 PM »

As usual, the Fed did NOTHING! It is incredible that they can “speak” without knowing or asking what I am doing, which will be announced shortly. We have a very strong dollar and a very weak Fed. I will work “brilliantly” with both, and the U.S. will do great...

....My only question is, who is our bigger enemy, Jay Powel or Chairman Xi?

Maybe Larry Kudlow as the Pres. economic advisor could advise the President, that the Fed's job is to manage the stability of the economy, not manage the instability of the President.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19300 on: August 23, 2019, 01:26:48 PM »

Oops.

Thanks

Remember when you thought the "end" was nigh? Any day now (then), the negotiations would be over?! You chided us for our skepticism.

And I am so sure that you always waited until the end of any of Obama's negotiations before judging them and him. Yeah, like that ever happened!

No, Kid, people are suffering NOW from what Trump is doing - and not doing. I am not going to wait and neither should you.

If it turns out wonderfully well and all those folks are made whole and the economy moves forward without a recession caused in good measure by Trump's trade war, I will be more than happy to admit I was wrong.

You may have noticed, I do that. (Nah, you probably glossed right over it.) You might try it sometime. Your president doesn't! (Biden's not much better! No wonder you like him.)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #19302 on: August 23, 2019, 01:43:08 PM »

Oops.

Thanks

Remember when you thought the "end" was nigh? Any day now (then), the negotiations would be over?! You chided us for our skepticism.

And I am so sure that you always waited until the end of any of Obama's negotiations before judging them and him. Yeah, like that ever happened!

No, Kid, people are suffering NOW from what Trump is doing - and not doing.

If it turns out wonderfully well and all those folks are made whole and the economy moves forward without a recession caused in good measure by Trump's trade war, I will be more than happy to admit I was wrong.

You may have noticed, I do that. (Nah, you probably glossed right over it.) You might try it sometime. Your president doesn't! (Biden's not much better! No wonder you like him.)

Yeah, man - 5 bucks more for sneakers.  That's $2.50 for each foot.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #19303 on: August 23, 2019, 01:50:17 PM »

Oops.

Thanks

No, Kid, people are suffering NOW from what Trump is doing - and not doing.

Yeah, man - 5 bucks more for sneakers.  That's $2.50 for each foot.

Cable news has rotted your brain.

Just one example:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/business-leaders/soybean-farmers-trump-tariffs-china-trade-war

China is rerouting sourcing that has been in place for decades due to tariffs, buying soybeans from South America now.  This won't just snap back into place when the trade war is over.  This is permanent damage.

And for the record, whatever the accuracy of the statement you are mocking, a 5-6% increase in costs of durable goods in just one month would be a huge drag on the economy.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 1285 1286 [1287] 1288 1289 ... 4288