Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1307 1308 [1309] 1310 1311 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1876506 times)

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #19620 on: August 28, 2019, 12:19:50 PM »

So we should cut off all ties to Russia?  Is that your stance?

Dumb false choice.  Obviously, as I've told you before on this forum, there is a middle ground between cutting off all ties and kissing Putin's ass so hard it makes our allies angry.

That Trump seeks a full normalization of ties with Russia despite their interference in our (and other's) elections, despite Crimea, despite their continuing to conduct assassinations on NATO soil, that should be concerning.  And would be to anyone whose boasts of having an "open mind" were true.

It should be impossible to read about Trump (elected to be President of the United States) prioritiziatoion of Putin's wishes at the G7 meetings without getting angry as hell, in fact.  But clearly Trumpists have some contradictory ideas about loyalty to the country they claim to want to make great.

"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #19621 on: August 28, 2019, 02:00:51 PM »

Concern for the future tops need for punishment of the past.

Yes.  President Trump's vision for the US and the world is ultra proper.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #19622 on: August 28, 2019, 02:21:56 PM »

Dumb false choice.  Obviously, as I've told you before on this forum, there is a middle ground between cutting off all ties and kissing Putin's ass so hard it makes our allies angry.

That Trump seeks a full normalization of ties with Russia despite . . .

Exactly.

But Crimea shouldn't be viewed in isolation.  Russia has taken over and occupies a swath of Moldova (Transnistria), two chunks of Georgia (South Ossetia & Abkhazia),  plus Donbass (occupied E. Ukraine).   Crimea is part of a pattern of Putin seizing territory from a sovereign nation under the guise of protecting ethnic Russians. 
These frozen conflicts are strategically designed to destabilize and pressure smaller countries.  And reap the benefits of extra territory.

I'd rec sanctioning and disengaging from Russia until it can abide by international law and stops these seizures and protracted occupations.   The best method would be to start arranging alternative sources of heating fuel and natural gas for Europe.  Relying on Russia is not a smart geo-politically.  And Russia needs that revenue. 

If Russia can just swallow Crimea without consequences, what happens if Putin decides next to overrun Eastern Latvia in order to "protect the Russians" there?  Suddenly there would be a major crisis, and not many good options.

One possible solution is to let Russia keep Crimea, if they agree to exit from Eastern Ukraine, Georgia x 2, and Moldova, stop supporting such separatists, and sign a declaration that they won't invade or occupy anywhere outside Russia.  Hold an int'l referendum in Crimea and validate Russian control there, after they fully exit the other frozen conflicts they've created.  Not perfect, but you'd solve 5 conflicts.  And Russia isn't ever going to give Crimea back anyway. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 02:32:18 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #19623 on: August 28, 2019, 02:25:22 PM »

You just named a bunch of places that the President has never heard of. 
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #19624 on: August 28, 2019, 03:02:02 PM »

So... you think there is a WHITENING of America going on?

You're kidding, right?

No, I’m not kidding.

Y'all trying it...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #19625 on: August 28, 2019, 03:19:57 PM »

It’s all in the past, uh huh.  Let’s move on.  Except…Russia is suspected of assassinating a Chechen dissident in Berlin yesterday.  US intelligence has warned, repeatedly, that Russia is actively looking to interfere in 2020.  And as Bo points out, Russia’s illegal occupation of territories continues today.

But let’s talk about the past…

In the 2012 election then candidate Mitt Romney described Russia as the biggest threat to the United States out there, bigger than Islamic extremist terrorism.  He was mocked by some at the time, but whatever you think of the truth of it, this was the position of the Republican Nominee for President of the United States seven years ago. 

In 2014 Sen. John McCain wrote a column that was published in Russia in which he said that Putin “rules by corruption, repression and violence” and said that his regime was allied with “some of the world’s most offensive and threatening tyrannies.”

In 2017 the Republican-led Senate voted overwhelmingly to increase sanctions on Russia, 97-2.  Republicans issued the statement “It’s time to respond to Russia’s attack on American democracy with strength, with resolve, with common purpose, and with action.”

In 2018 Lindsay Graham said that Russian interference in our election was “a big deal” and that “we need more sanctions, not less.”

That same year, Paul Ryan called Russia “a menacing government that does not share our interests and does not share our values.”

But now just a year later we should let bygones be bygones and accept Putin back into our good graces because it’s what Trump wants and we have no reason, absolutely none, to think that despite its contradicting the long held position of his party, Trump’s position on Putin isn’t “ultra proper.”

You are too ridiculous kiidcarter8.  I stand by my previous comments regarding your undying defense of the indefensible Trump; it’s pathetic.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #19626 on: August 28, 2019, 03:30:08 PM »

And related to absolutely nothing, maybe, here is an article about how White Nationalists see Putin as an ally:

https://thinkprogress.org/interview-russia-the-far-right-f3fd27ceb928/

No connections need be drawn to any poster here.  Unless anyone should feel compelled.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19627 on: August 28, 2019, 03:48:21 PM »

Kid knows that Russian mob & intelligence services along with other elements of organized international crime syndicates are the only source of funding for republican political campaigns.

That’s why international criminals like Wilbur Ross are in the cabinet. The administration needs to stay in close contact with its sources of blood money. Without criminal proceeds the trump reelection campaign is as broke as republicans are making farmers in the mid west.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #19628 on: August 28, 2019, 04:04:34 PM »

It’s all in the past, uh huh.  Let’s move on.  Except…Russia is suspected of assassinating a Chechen dissident in Berlin yesterday.  US intelligence has warned, repeatedly, that Russia is actively looking to interfere in 2020.  And as Bo points out, Russia’s illegal occupation of territories continues today.

But let’s talk about the past…

In the 2012 election then candidate Mitt Romney described Russia as the biggest threat to the United States out there, bigger than Islamic extremist terrorism.  He was mocked by some at the time, but whatever you think of the truth of it, this was the position of the Republican Nominee for President of the United States seven years ago. 

In 2014 Sen. John McCain wrote a column that was published in Russia in which he said that Putin “rules by corruption, repression and violence” and said that his regime was allied with “some of the world’s most offensive and threatening tyrannies.”

In 2017 the Republican-led Senate voted overwhelmingly to increase sanctions on Russia, 97-2.  Republicans issued the statement “It’s time to respond to Russia’s attack on American democracy with strength, with resolve, with common purpose, and with action.”

In 2018 Lindsay Graham said that Russian interference in our election was “a big deal” and that “we need more sanctions, not less.”

That same year, Paul Ryan called Russia “a menacing government that does not share our interests and does not share our values.”

But now just a year later we should let bygones be bygones and accept Putin back into our good graces because it’s what Trump wants and we have no reason, absolutely none, to think that despite its contradicting the long held position of his party, Trump’s position on Putin isn’t “ultra proper.”

You are too ridiculous kiidcarter8.  I stand by my previous comments regarding your undying defense of the indefensible Trump; it’s pathetic.

Alles klar?

Sieg Heil, bitches...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #19629 on: August 28, 2019, 04:10:16 PM »

I remember talking with the tourists when I was homeless in Hollywood, and they would talk like everything was normal, just nice as can be, and then they would say "Bye" and tell you to get yourself off of the streets.

As if it were that easy to get yourself off of the streets. If I knew a way to get myself off of the streets then I would not have been homeless.

And back then it was even against the law to feed the homeless in Hollywood.

They just want you to go back to where you came from. But, I am from California, so I have no place to go back to.

Everything is getting better now. If I was homeless in Los Angeles now, I would just go to the Mayor's office and ask for help, just go to City Hall and they will give you all of the information. People care, and people realize that there is a crisis now, and so the homeless are being helped.

And I would love to get my book published, and I would love to get my movie made, and then I will invest in other businesses, a vineyard and winery in Italy, and a night club in Rome, and a movie production office at Cinecitta.

Getting my book published will be the cheapest thing to do to get me ahead. And I could have homeless people going door to door selling copies of my poetry book, it would give them a chance to at least earn money for cigarettes and food.

My movie will be expensive. But, people make movies everyday, it is achievable. And my movie will earn me a lot of money, and then I will be able to make more movies. And of course I will be able to use money from selling wine to make movies, etc.

Then, when I am rich, I need to remember to help the homeless.

My friend Tom was feeding over 100 people a day, for about 5 years. The more he helped other people, then the more God blessed him. God blesses you when you get out there and help other people. And Tom and my Uncle Dennis raised over a million dollars to help to feed the hungry people, with their team, they raised money for Canning Hunger. God blesses you when you help other people.

Salute,

Tony V.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #19630 on: August 28, 2019, 04:21:47 PM »

Russians co-signed all of trump’s dirty loans. Kompromat. Trump will have to release the peepee tape just to distract voters from his financial corruption.

Too many bedbugs in the GOP.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #19631 on: August 28, 2019, 04:28:34 PM »

When I was homeless in Hollywood, I used to drop headshots and resumes in the mail box everyday, praying that I would get an acting job so that I could get an apartment and get myself off of the streets, but I never got hired.

I got a job working as a valet / doorman for Suzanne Pleshette, but I did not earn enough money to rent an apartment, so I worked, but I still had to live in my pick-up truck, and every couple of nights I would rent a motel room so that I could shower and sleep in a bed.

Hollywood needs to have hostels like in Rome, where you can take a hot shower and sleep in a bed, for $15.00 per night.

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #19633 on: August 28, 2019, 04:39:23 PM »

Richard P. Feynman

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #19634 on: August 28, 2019, 04:42:18 PM »

Jim Mattis didn't think Trump's vision on the world was "ultra proper:"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/jim-mattis-duty-democracy-and-the-threat-of-tribalism-11566984601?mod=hp_lead_pos8

"When my concrete solutions and strategic advice, especially keeping faith with our allies, no longer resonated, it was time to resign."
Pages: 1 ... 1307 1308 [1309] 1310 1311 ... 4288