Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1319 1320 [1321] 1322 1323 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1876515 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #19800 on: September 03, 2019, 11:50:53 AM »

Let that one sink in for a minute.   
This from a poster who considers economic growth akin to a cancer.

It would be more accurate to say Barton considers wealth accumulation at the expense of workers, customers, those who reside in proximity to a enterprise facility or the human friendly homeostasis of the biosphere to be cancerous. He’d agree that capitalist enterprises can be run as holistic positives, and many are. He also thinks smart regulations can make many businesses less cancerous AND more successful.

Then again, I know this because I read and understand Barton’s posts. There aren’t many around here who believe you really have the ability to do either of those things.

Thanks, bro.  He also misquotes me, out of context, so i suspect it is a willful inability.   The strawman is easier to knock down, for him.
You deny comparing economic growth to cancer?

You deny misquoting him?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #19801 on: September 03, 2019, 12:00:32 PM »

Guns are great...for shooting kidnappers.
When they grab your kid...you have to be ready to shoot to kill.
It's the same all over the world.

Unfortunately, in some countries people are not allowed to carry guns, or don't want to/don't think it's necessary.
Americans are lucky, they can carry guns and defend themselves and their families from kidnappers.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/kidnapped-daughter-6-of-f1-powerboat-star-found-dumped-alive-at-side-of-road/ar-AAGIUnG?li=AAgfYrC&OCID=AVRES000

barton

« Reply #19802 on: September 03, 2019, 12:51:37 PM »

It would be more accurate to say Barton considers wealth accumulation at the expense of workers, customers, those who reside in proximity to a enterprise facility or the human friendly homeostasis of the biosphere to be cancerous. He’d agree that capitalist enterprises can be run as holistic positives, and many are. He also thinks smart regulations can make many businesses less cancerous AND more successful.

Then again, I know this because I read and understand Barton’s posts. There aren’t many around here who believe you really have the ability to do either of those things.

Thanks, bro.  He also misquotes me, out of context, so i suspect it is a willful inability.   The strawman is easier to knock down, for him.

Either you are here to find out what other people are actually saying, or you are here to play retarded chickenshit word games so you can score lots of points and own the libtards or whatever stiffens your giblets.

My actual words were something like "unlimited growth is the philosophy of a cancer cell."  This is both true in a literal biological sense, and was also offered as an analogy to endless growth of extractive industries (along with population) on a finite planet.  The growth in industries that are not sustainable, and imposed enormous stresses on our ecosystem (or outright destruction - e.g. coral reefs, acidified dead lakes, mercury/arsenic/lead leaches into water supplies, clearcutting of large tracts of forest resulting in species die-offs and massive erosion that wipes out streams and lakes, et-fucking-cetera), was what I was pinpointing in that analogy.  Agricultural overproduction is another example, creating price drops that do great harm to small and medium farms, and forcing land use that undermines soil and water conservation just to break even in a business with tiny margins. 

barton

« Reply #19803 on: September 03, 2019, 12:59:37 PM »

Guns are great...for shooting kidnappers.
When they grab your kid...you have to be ready to shoot to kill.
It's the same all over the world.

Unfortunately, in some countries people are not allowed to carry guns, or don't want to/don't think it's necessary.
Americans are lucky, they can carry guns and defend themselves and their families from kidnappers.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/kidnapped-daughter-6-of-f1-powerboat-star-found-dumped-alive-at-side-of-road/ar-AAGIUnG?li=AAgfYrC&OCID=AVRES000

https://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Japan/United-States/Crime

Note the difference in violent crime rates and homicide rate between Japan and the United States.  Or mass shootings.  One of those nations allows few people to carry guns.  The other one, pretty much anyone can have any kind of gun they want, short of a bazooka or grenade launcher.  Can you get that through your thick head?

oilcan

« Reply #19804 on: September 03, 2019, 01:12:16 PM »

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #19805 on: September 03, 2019, 01:18:00 PM »

A few news items:

Trump is putting the importance of his "friendship" with Kim Jong Un over the life of US servicemen and women stationed on the peninsula.  Nobel Peace Prize?  Our great negotiator is getting played:

Mr Kim’s flattery of Trump with beguiling letters and episodic meetings offering vague assurances of eventual nuclear disarmament, some outside experts say, are part of what they call the North Korean leader’s strategy of buying time to improve his arsenal despite all the sanctions on North Korea.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/trump-north-korea-missile-tests-kim-jong-un-latest-a9089591.html

Torys lose their majority as one does what the US GOP refused to do for Boris Johnson's doppelganger in the US; stand up to his insanity:

Lee wrote in his resignation letter to Johnson, which he posted on Twitter, that "Sadly, the Brexit process has helped to transform this once great Party in to something more akin to a narrow faction, where an individual's 'conservatism' is measured by how recklessly one wishes to leave the European Union."

https://www.cnn.com/uk/live-news/boris-johnson-brexit-parliament-tuesday-dle-gbr-intl/index.html

And what do you know, our "president" sounds like a complete idiot on world issues again:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/09/03/trump-congratulates-poland-its-nazi-invasion/?noredirect=on

"On this anniversary of 9/11 I congratulate the United States.  Great country!"

"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #19806 on: September 03, 2019, 01:20:56 PM »

The madness of King Bojo....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/showdown-set-for-the-british-parliament-as-legislators-return-from-summer-recess/2019/09/03/105ecca6-cb6c-11e9-9615-8f1a32962e04_story.html

Hooting, jeering, catcalling in Parliament today.

Why can't we do that here?

Corbyn was referring to the dramatic defection of Conservative member of Parliament Phillip Lee, who resigned while Johnson was speaking on the floor of the House of Commons. He said in his resignation letter that the Conservative Party, of which he had been a member for 27 years, had become “infected with the twin diseases of populism and English nationalism.”

Why can't the members of the party of an obviously idiotic and unqualified "president" who is a danger to the country get some balls and put the nation over the political interests of that party?

Good question.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 01:23:29 PM by NeedsAdjustments »
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #19807 on: September 03, 2019, 02:27:56 PM »

One of those nations allows few people to carry guns.  The other one, pretty much anyone can have any kind of gun they want, short of a bazooka or grenade launcher. 
the right of an individual guaranteed by the US Constitution.   

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #19808 on: September 03, 2019, 02:38:37 PM »

On the issue of getting my movie script made into a film, not only did Hugh Hefner like it, but other people have liked my script as well.

I had a friend who was a studio executive at Paramount, and at Universal, he worked on the television show "Family Ties" and other shows, he was friends with the Fonz, Henry Winkler, who is a producer, he was friends with Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston when they were together, he dated Courtney Cox, he was a cool guy, and he was going to help me to get my movie made, he was going to go back to work as an executive at Universal and he was going to help me to make my movie, but then he died suddenly. Everyone keeps dying. May he rest in peace, he was a cool guy. Someday I may write a movie about him.

He was only 51 when he died, here is his obituary at the bottom of the list, his name was Drew Zuckerwise, he was a Jew from New York.

https://www.ocregister.com/2006/03/03/orange-county-death-notices-for-march-3-2006/

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #19809 on: September 03, 2019, 02:41:15 PM »

Advice for Tony V.:   https://youtu.be/Qh9ZZgDqzAg

Ha Ha. Great song!

Thanks.

Salute,

Tony V.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #19810 on: September 03, 2019, 03:41:56 PM »

Either you are here to find out what other people are actually saying, or you are here to play retarded chickenshit word games so you can score lots of points and own the libtards or whatever stiffens your giblets.

My actual words were something like "unlimited growth is the philosophy of a cancer cell."  This is both true in a literal biological sense, and was also offered as an analogy to endless growth of extractive industries (along with population) on a finite planet.  The growth in industries that are not sustainable, and imposed enormous stresses on our ecosystem (or outright destruction - e.g. coral reefs, acidified dead lakes, mercury/arsenic/lead leaches into water supplies, clearcutting of large tracts of forest resulting in species die-offs and massive erosion that wipes out streams and lakes, et-fucking-cetera), was what I was pinpointing in that analogy.  Agricultural overproduction is another example, creating price drops that do great harm to small and medium farms, and forcing land use that undermines soil and water conservation just to break even in a business with tiny margins.
LOL!

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19811 on: September 03, 2019, 04:45:20 PM »

One of those nations allows few people to carry guns.  The other one, pretty much anyone can have any kind of gun they want, short of a bazooka or grenade launcher. 
the right of an individual guaranteed by the US Constitution.
The right of a state to form and regulate a militia is guaranteed. We’ve already established that your illiteracy hampers your understanding of the most basic reality. Here’s more proof.

Maybe try to find a Zoolander school...
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #19812 on: September 03, 2019, 05:01:04 PM »

I think Heller pretty much settled the question that the right to a gun is an individual one.

But Red's proud saluting of that right is hardly a counter-argument to Barton's post.  In fact it supports the point that Barton is making.  Let's see if Red can figure out why.  Shhhhhh! 

He's an educator so it should be easy.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 05:07:39 PM by Yankguy1 »
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19813 on: September 03, 2019, 05:14:03 PM »

Heller is up there with Dred Scott among the terrible court decisions that cause turmoil then get reversed or erased by legislation or amendment. 
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #19814 on: September 03, 2019, 05:15:50 PM »

My post re: individual right of gun ownership was merely anticipatory of the simple-minded response you were going to get from Red. 
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar
Pages: 1 ... 1319 1320 [1321] 1322 1323 ... 4288