Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Education  (Read 7764 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Education
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2020, 08:02:45 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2020, 10:01:22 AM »

Abstract only.

Important information to understand as schools consider extending further into the summer.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41562-020-00959-9
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2021, 01:15:33 AM »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2021, 06:47:34 PM »

- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2021, 08:16:18 PM »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2021, 02:18:32 PM »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2021, 11:42:15 AM »

https://www.kens5.com/article/news/education/dallas-isd-will-no-longer-use-suspensions-for-high-school-middle-school-students-introduces-reset-centers/287-4e81934e-3b99-4ca0-aada-b4f663e5a302

Data shows prior to the pandemic, of the students placed in out-of-school suspension, 52% were African American, 44% were Hispanic and 2.4% were white.

Someone gotta raise their kids better

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2021, 03:11:27 PM »

https://www.kens5.com/article/news/education/dallas-isd-will-no-longer-use-suspensions-for-high-school-middle-school-students-introduces-reset-centers/287-4e81934e-3b99-4ca0-aada-b4f663e5a302

Data shows prior to the pandemic, of the students placed in out-of-school suspension, 52% were African American, 44% were Hispanic and 2.4% were white.

Someone gotta raise their kids better

Somebody has to cut down on the racist treatment of kids in schools, Kid.

As with the criminal "justice" "system," so too the schools, where white kids get more lenient treatment for equivalent conduct.

No, I am not going to waste my time providing you with documentation that you will then ignore.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2021, 05:29:38 PM »

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2021, 05:36:16 PM »

Asians getting fucked over by racist mayor: https://news.yahoo.com/blasio-ends-nyc-gifted-students-143749839.html

I don't think that's what's going to happen, though I understand the argument.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2021, 12:07:59 PM »

An article to put a smile on Ward's face:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/10/17/want-child-get-ahead-britains-strictest-headteacher-has-harsh

Requires registration to read it, not purchase.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2022, 09:19:25 PM »

Mikayla McCauley

I'm a teacher. I have a Bachelors of Science in Elementary Education with a minor in Human Development. I graduated with an endorsement in English as a Second Language and I'm one term away from earning my Masters of Science in Curriculum and Instruction. Let me explain what is happening in this state right now and why it's making teachers angry.

These current bills are masquerading as a fight for transparency in education. It states that districts, schools, and educators must make their curriculum and standards available to their stakeholders (i.e. parents and the general public). The proponents of this bill are aggressively spreading the narrative that educators are trying to hide their lessons from parents. They are being sneaky in an attempt to indoctrinate your students. This is absolute bullshit.

The reality is that curriculum materials and state standards have ALWAYS been available to the public. Have you ever looked? I can show you where to find them. You could look up every standard for every subject K-12. This has never been a problem. So why are teachers pissed?

This bill requires teachers to submit a year's worth of lesson plans for "approval." Changes to these lesson plans must be submitted five days in advance for "approval." Otherwise, the teacher could be subject to discipline in some way or another.
This strips teachers of the ability to change their lesson plans to meet the needs of their students. I have literally had to change a lesson plan IN THE MIDDLE OF TEACHING IT because my students were missing core skills that needed to be reviewed. I've had to extend a lesson into two or more days because students were struggling, we had a snow day, we had a last minute assembly, library was rescheduled, a teacher was absent and a sub didn't show so we had to figure out how to take care of those students, etc., etc., etc. I am a teacher. I have spent YEARS learning how to adapt curriculum and instruction to meet the needs of my students. Students I spend 7 hours a day with 9 months out of the year. And now I need approval from someone who has never met my students, never been in my classroom, and has no clue what they need. And this is what you think will make education better? Having your child's teacher and lessons controlled by people who have never spent one minute with your child? Taking away a teacher's ability to meet the needs of the individual students in their classroom. That's what we will be getting.

Do your research. Talk to a teacher or two. Think about who benefits here. Because I can tell you right now it is not teachers, schools, or students. Teacher working conditions are student learning conditions. Let us teach. Let us do the job we are professionally trained to do.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 [2] 3