Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Religion and Politics  (Read 13039 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Politics
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2022, 12:20:27 AM »

I just watched a video of Pastor Don at a local church, and he reminded everyone to live in the land of the living, and wait on God, and do not live in fear, and trust that if there are hard times that God will help us to rise above the hard times. We must not waste time living in fear, but instead we need to be waiting on God, and we need to be serving God.

Because waiting on God worked so well for those killed in war after war, in church after church, in school after school...
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2022, 04:43:08 PM »

Today Dr Charles Stanley talked about how once you become a Christian and once you learn the ways of God, then you need to be discerning. You need to follow the ways of God, and avoid the ways of evil people.

And it says in Proverbs to be careful who you hang out with if you are a Christian, if you are a Christian then you do not spend time hanging out with evil people. Also of note, is that who you hang out with is a reflection of you.

For example, many times I have lived in bad neighborhoods because  I am poor, but I did not become friends with the drug addict criminals who I had for neighbors. I would lock my door and stay home alone and I would not make friends with the drug addicts and criminals.

If you are a good Christian, then you do not need to be hanging out with bad people. You need to be discerning.

And it has been hard for me, because I had uncles who were criminals, and I had to learn that they were not role models, but instead they had problems from not having a father and not being raised right. Dealing drugs, and going to prison, that is not the way to be. And it is not healthy for a Christian to hang out with people like that.

I have a neighbor who is into meth, and as soon as I found out that she was doing meth I lost all respect for her, and I will not have anything to do with her. I am not going to be friends with her. I need to be discerning like the Bible says.

So, that is what Dr Charles Stanley talked about today. Be smart in the choices you make in who you spend time with. And for me, I would rather be alone than be with bad people. Sometimes it is hard being alone, but I would rather be alone than be around bad people. And when I do find a wife, she will be a good Christian like me, and she will be into what I am into, and she will hate illegal drugs just as much as I do, etc.

If you are a Christian, then you need to have Christian friends, and you need to be discerning.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 06:13:09 PM by FlyingVProd »

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2022, 04:49:35 PM »

I just watched a video of Pastor Don at a local church, and he reminded everyone to live in the land of the living, and wait on God, and do not live in fear, and trust that if there are hard times that God will help us to rise above the hard times. We must not waste time living in fear, but instead we need to be waiting on God, and we need to be serving God.

Because waiting on God worked so well for those killed in war after war, in church after church, in school after school...

Christians who die go to Heaven, and they spend eternity in paradise. Not only are Christians better people when they are alive, but Christians go to Heaven when they die. And by doing good deeds here on earth, we store up treasure in Heaven. God sees our good deeds.

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2022, 09:38:28 PM »

Christians who die go to Heaven, and they spend eternity in paradise. Not only are Christians better people when they are alive, but Christians go to Heaven when they die. And by doing good deeds here on earth, we store up treasure in Heaven. God sees our good deeds.

Your theology is yours, Tony.

Your definition of Christian is "only those who behave the way Tony thinks they should," which is incredibly convenient.

But I will tell you that enough folks have died as a direct result of people who think they are being good Christians that I don't buy it.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2022, 01:44:12 PM »

Here is what the Bible says in Proverbs 13: 20-25

20 Become wise by walking with the wise; hang out with fools and watch your life fall to pieces. 21 Disaster entraps sinners, but God-loyal people get a good life. 22 A good life gets passed on to the grandchildren; ill-gotten wealth ends up with good people. 23 Banks foreclose on the farms of the poor, or else the poor lose their shirts to crooked lawyers. 24 A refusal to correct is a refusal to love; love your children by disciplining them. 25 An appetite for good brings much satisfaction, but the belly of the wicked always wants more.

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2022, 03:32:55 PM »

Here is what the Bible says in Proverbs 13: 20-25

20 Become wise by walking with the wise; hang out with fools and watch your life fall to pieces. 21 Disaster entraps sinners, but God-loyal people get a good life. 22 A good life gets passed on to the grandchildren; ill-gotten wealth ends up with good people. 23 Banks foreclose on the farms of the poor, or else the poor lose their shirts to crooked lawyers. 24 A refusal to correct is a refusal to love; love your children by disciplining them. 25 An appetite for good brings much satisfaction, but the belly of the wicked always wants more.

And yet, ill-gotten wealth frequently just builds and seldom does it end up with good people.

Banks foreclose on the farms and homes of the poor without negative repercussions. Crooked lawyers have been making off with property of the poor and/or ignorant throughout the life of this country.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2022, 01:34:24 PM »

Sometimes in life our reality does not match up with our expectations, and that is just the way that it is, and it does not make us bad people.

We have 60,000 homeless people in Los Angeles alone, and certainly that was not their goal in life. It does not make them bad people, it is just the way that it is.

When I was a kid I used to study the dictionary to learn new words so that I could be a better poet. I am a natural as a poet, for me writing has never been like work, nor has acting. Eventually I will get my book published, and I will get my movie script made, and people will see what I have to offer. Then, success will lead to more success.

Just sometimes life is hard. The writer James Baldwin was so bitter by the time that he became successful that he left the United States and he moved to Europe. Life is hard if you try to make a living as a writer, or as an artist.

I do not want to be bitter like James Baldwin turned out to be, and I do not want to bring down others with negativity.

I am human just like the 60,000 homeless people on the streets of Los Angeles, and just sometimes life is hard. They are not living the lives that they planned, nor am I. But, being negative will not help. Nothing positive comes from negativity.

And hopefully I can be a positive force for good somehow as things progress. Instead of being negative, and being angry, I need to be positive, and I need to look for healthy ways that I can progress.

It is what it is, and being angry and bitter will not change anything. And complaining to my Mom will not help, etc. The only path is the path forward, and I need to move forward with a positive attitude.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2022, 03:17:18 PM »

Today Dr Charles Stanley talked about how we need to trust God, and about how we need to learn to listen to God and he talked about how when we are Christians then we need to behave as Christians and God will judge and reward us in Heaven for good deeds done here on earth.

Our salvation is all about having faith in Jesus, our salvation is not based on deeds, but we will be judged and rewarded for good deeds in Heaven. God sees our good deeds.

And a good Christian life with faith in Jesus and a life of doing good deeds and loving your neighbors is the best life, and you will be rewarded for eternity in Heaven.

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2022, 05:52:50 PM »

Today Dr Charles Stanley talked about how we need to trust God, and about how we need to learn to listen to God and he talked about how when we are Christians then we need to behave as Christians and God will judge and reward us in Heaven for good deeds done here on earth.

Our salvation is all about having faith in Jesus, our salvation is not based on deeds, but we will be judged and rewarded for good deeds in Heaven. God sees our good deeds.

And a good Christian life with faith in Jesus and a life of doing good deeds and loving your neighbors is the best life, and you will be rewarded for eternity in Heaven.

In Dr. Stanley's opinion, what happens to somebody who leads a good Jewish life or a good Buddhist life, for example, and a life of doing good deeds and loving their neighbors? Are they punished for failing to believe in Jesus by not being rewarded with an eternity in Heaven?

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2022, 12:11:21 AM »

In Dr. Stanley's opinion, what happens to somebody who leads a good Jewish life or a good Buddhist life, for example, and a life of doing good deeds and loving their neighbors? Are they punished for failing to believe in Jesus by not being rewarded with an eternity in Heaven?

The Jews are God's chosen people, and the Bible says those who bless Israel will be blessed, and those who do bad things to Israel then bad things will happen to them.

And I had a good friend who was a Messianic Jew who found Jesus. That is the hope, that the Jews will find Jesus.

The same thing with all people, hopefully they all find Jesus.

And the whole thing with Jesus is about forgiveness of sins, a life of service to other people, loving your neighbors, and then eternity in Heaven.

Sadly we have some bad preachers like Joel Olsteen who are getting rich but are not doing service to help other people. I like Dr Charles Stanley a lot, I watch him every Sunday, I think he is a lot better than Olsteen. Being a Christian is about good deeds and love, it is not about getting rich off of religion.

Dr Charles Stanley would try to bring the Jews and the Buddhists to Jesus, out of love he would try to bring them to Jesus, he would want to share salvation with all.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2022, 12:23:26 AM »

Roy Rogers was a good Christian, but he was also involved with the Shriners and the Masons, and some people claim that the Shriners and Masons are not Christians. I do not know.

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2022, 12:15:09 PM »

The Jews are God's chosen people, and the Bible says those who bless Israel will be blessed, and those who do bad things to Israel then bad things will happen to them.

And I had a good friend who was a Messianic Jew who found Jesus. That is the hope, that the Jews will find Jesus.

The same thing with all people, hopefully they all find Jesus.

And the whole thing with Jesus is about forgiveness of sins, a life of service to other people, loving your neighbors, and then eternity in Heaven.

Sadly we have some bad preachers like Joel Olsteen who are getting rich but are not doing service to help other people. I like Dr Charles Stanley a lot, I watch him every Sunday, I think he is a lot better than Olsteen. Being a Christian is about good deeds and love, it is not about getting rich off of religion.

Dr Charles Stanley would try to bring the Jews and the Buddhists to Jesus, out of love he would try to bring them to Jesus, he would want to share salvation with all.

Salute,

Tony V.
So your response to josh is, according to Stanley they are fucked unless they convert. Damned to Hell because like most people in the world they adhere to the faith of their parents. Boy, we are so lucky to be brought up by Christians so we do not have to make the soul crushing decision to turn our backs on family, friends or culture to save ourselves. Seems a little unfair of God to stack the deck like that, but at least the deck is stacked in our favor!
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and distribution was made to each as any had need.

Holly Martins

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2022, 12:41:56 PM »

Heaven  for the climate, hell for the company.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2022, 02:50:31 PM »

Dalai Lama, March 20, 2017

All religions have the potential to create better human beings, but since 1 billion of the 7 billion human beings alive today have no interest in religion, and frequently even believers don't take their faith that seriously, we need a more universal approach to developing inner values without relying on this or that religious tradition.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5