Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Science  (Read 10978 times)

Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Science
« on: July 30, 2018, 12:21:16 PM »

Discuss

barton

Re: Science
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 04:43:39 PM »

https://gizmodo.com/this-is-how-it-starts-fbi-suspiciously-locks-down-eva-1829012554

Agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully have different theories as to what is happening at the solar observatory.   

This is pretty weird.   Sunspots aren't really a strategic secret.   Astronomers tend to share their data.   NASA has a free public website with current solar flare activity. 

barton

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 04:58:40 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/02/neil-degrasse-tyson-answers-allegations-sexual-misconduct

Tyson's comments on evidence and what should not be adjudicated in the media,  in his Saturday FB post,  seem spot on.   I like Tyson and have a bias in his favor,  so take my opinion as worth somewhere between zero and diddleysquat.  In the absence of a third-party witness,  this may come down to people choosing whoever they feel is most credible.   

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 04:01:37 PM »

Virgin Galactic reaches suborbital space for the first time. Now it's closer to flying customers there.

By SAMANTHA MASUNAGA
DEC 13, 2018 

Virgin Galactic reached suborbital space for the first time in a test flight Thursday, bringing Richard Branson’s company closer to flying its customers beyond Earth’s atmosphere.

Thursday was the fourth time VSS Unity fired up its rocket motor and flew on its own power after being released from the belly of a larger, twin-fuselage carrier airplane. The space plane reached a maximum altitude of 271,268 feet, or 51.4 miles, above the Earth, the company said.

Capping its hourlong journey, the space plane landed back on the runway at the Mojave Air and Space Port in front of a jubilant crowd. During post-flight speeches, one Virgin Galactic employee proposed to his girlfriend, offering her an engagement ring that had just taken the ride to suborbital space. She said yes.

Branson, a British billionaire, acknowledged the exultation as well as some heartbreak. “It’s been 14 hard years,” he said in a speech to the crowd. “We’ve had tears and joy. People have literally put their lives on the line to get us here. This day is as much for them as it is for all of us.”

Thursday marked the latest step in Virgin Galactic’s long test-flight campaign that restarted in September 2016, almost two years after a previous version of the SpaceShipTwo space plane broke apart in midair during a powered test flight. That accident killed the copilot, Michael Alsbury, and injured the pilot, Peter Siebold.

How Virgin Galactic's space plane pilot survived a 10-mile fall back to Earth »
The National Transportation Safety Board later said the space plane broke apart after the copilot prematurely opened the craft’s “feather system,” a movable tail designed to help slow it down as it reenters Earth’s atmosphere.

The NTSB placed most of the blame on that plane’s builder, Scaled Composites, saying the design should have protected against the possibility of this human error. Mojave-based Scaled Composites is now owned by Northrop Grumman Corp.

The current version of the space plane is now built in-house at Spaceship Co., Virgin’s spacecraft manufacturing and assembly arm. Virgin Galactic has said it devised additional safety mechanisms to prevent pilots from opening the feather system too early.

Thursday’s flight began with the takeoff of carrier aircraft VMS Eve at 7:11 a.m., just as the sun rose over the mountains. Over the better part of an hour, that aircraft and the attached space plane flew upward, reaching about 43,000 feet.

The space plane was released from the carrier aircraft about 7:59 a.m., and its rocket motor ignited shortly afterward. From the ground, it looked like a glowing red dot shooting up from the carrier aircraft’s faint contrail.

The motor burned for about 60 seconds — longer than the 55 seconds Virgin Galactic expected, but less than the approximately 65 seconds it’s capable of burning. (The pilots have a bit of leeway: If the flight is going well, they’re allowed to push a little beyond their target.)

Thursday’s flight reached a top speed of Mach 2.9, the company said — about 2.9 times the speed of sound. Previously, the fastest the space plane had flown was Mach 2.4.

The space plane landed about 8:13 a.m., with the carrier aircraft following at 8:45 a.m.

The flight is not only an important milestone for the company but also a positive for the larger, burgeoning suborbital space tourism industry, said Carissa Christensen, chief executive of Bryce Space & Technology. “Companies in very early-stage ecosystems benefit from the success of their competitors because it helps demonstrate that what they are seeking to sell is possible and that there is demand for it.”

Virgin Galactic has been in the space tourism business a long time — Branson first announced his commercial space service in 2004, saying at the time that he expected the first flight to occur in 2007. Since then, a number of other firms have jumped into the fray.

Amazon.com Inc. Chief Executive Jeff Bezos’ Blue Origin space company developed a capsule and rocket system called New Shepard that’s designed to take tourists to suborbital space. The company has not yet announced ticket prices for the ride, which is expected to last for 11 minutes from liftoff to landing. So far, the rocket-and-capsule system has completed nine test flights.

Elon Musk’s SpaceX also plans to tap into the space tourism market. In September, Musk announced that Japanese e-commerce billionaire Yusaku Maezawa would be the first paying customer to travel around the moon on the Hawthorne company’s Starship spaceship and Super Heavy Rocket, formerly known as BFR. That launch system is still under development.

Maezawa has said he expects his flight to occur in 2023. He said he could not disclose the price of the trip, though Musk has called the down payment “significant.”

Virgin Galactic charges as much as $250,000 per ticket for its rides to suborbital space, and Branson said Thursday that nearly 700 people have signed up for a trip as the company continues testing and fine-tuning its system. On Thursday, the company flew four research payloads for NASA to help simulate the weight of paying customers in the space plane, making Thursday’s flight its first revenue-generating mission.

Branson estimated that development costs across his three space-related companies — Virgin Galactic, Spaceship Co., and small-satellite launch firm Virgin Orbit — have so far totaled about $1.3 billion.

Did Thursday’s flight officially reach space? There’s no universally accepted answer.

The U.S. military considers space to be at least 50 miles above Earth’s surface. And after the space plane landed, a Federal Aviation Administration official said the two Virgin Galactic pilots — Mark “Forger” Stucky and Frederick “CJ” Sturckow — will be awarded commercial astronaut wings next year in Washington.

But the world governing body for aeronautic and astronautic records and other organizations define space as 62 miles above Earth, a designation known as the Karman line.

Regardless, Virgin Galactic’s next steps include more flight tests, including flights with employees to ensure in-flight procedures are “safe and enjoyable,” said George Whitesides, chief executive of Virgin Galactic and Spaceship Co.

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-virgin-galactic-flight-20181213-story.html

----

News Report, You Tube video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVPUwXfvyq0 

------------------

It is awesome that this great event happened in Mojave, and it adds another fantastic event to the history of the Antelope Valley, in California. And right now the people really need fun stuff like this to cheer them up.

The Antelope Valley needs jobs, and employment in the aerospace and defense industries are good jobs. Mojave is also leading in innovation in the field of green energy, and hopefully new green energy items can be invented and manufactured in Mojave, and in Van Nuys.

Of note, everyone has their sites on Mars, people want to put a community on Mars. So, we will see how soon that happens.

Also, on the issue of Branson, he is getting involved in the train industry here in the USA, so that is cool. Maybe he can help to quicken the advancements to high speed rail in the USA.

Link to info on Virgin Trains USA...

https://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/introducing-virgin-trains-usa

Anyhow, Richard Branson is really cool, he once produced the Sex Pistols, and now he has a space company. He wants to do satellites too.

Article about his satellite venture...

http://fortune.com/2017/03/02/virgin-orbit-satellite-richard-branson/

The free enterprise system is truly at its best when guys like Richard Branson rise to the top.

It could not happen for a nicer guy. When his spaceship launched into space he wept as he watched. Cool stuff.

Salute,

Tony V.

barton

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 12:14:19 PM »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 09:51:07 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 06:44:10 PM »

Ever wonder how a refrigerator and freezer in a motor home works? I always wondered how the propane powered refrigerator and freezer worked, I always wanted to know how they use fire to make ice. 

Here is how it works...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_refrigerator

Salute,

Tony V. 

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 05:27:51 PM »

I was talking with a guy who is doing research at UCI, and they get research money, he was saying that on one project they received ten million dollars between five scientists.

So, I told him about my idea for an experiment, to show that color blind people can see better at night, and thus the military could have a special team of color blind people to operate under the cover of darkness.

The eyes have rods and cones, one detects light, and the other detects color. Color blind people can see better at night because they have more rods which detect light.

Right now the military will not accept color blind people, but what if color blind people have better night vision?

So, the lady at UCI said that I had to submit my idea in writing, and all that I had was a small note pad, so I wrote the idea down on small note paper and turned the idea in to her.

Nothing ever came of it that I know of, but the scientist said that it was a good idea for research, and that it might garner research money.

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 05:27:21 PM »

A movie studio is like a play-ground for actors and filmmakers, I used to love going to the studio everyday when I worked at Universal Studios, I wish I could have made movies there. It is fun to make movies.

And the same thing with scientists working at the laboratory at China Lake, it is fun for the scientists, and the whole desert is their play-ground, they have money and Corvettes, and swimming pools, and hot wives. They drive their Vettes to Kennedy Meadows, and they hang out in Mammoth in the winter and ski, and they camp along the Kern River, the scientists have good lives.

I want to make movies, but the scientists have good lives too, those are good jobs too.

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 06:09:01 PM »

Maybe Israel did not succeed this time, but at least they tried, and they learned a lot, and they will be successful next time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/11/science/israel-moon-landing-beresheet.html

I had a step father who was a supervisor on the Space Shuttle program, and then later my mother worked for a company that made satellites. I used to have a tile from a Shuttle that had went to space. I personally did some work at NASA at Edwards, and that was awesome. And I worked at China Lake. Aerospace and Defense is cool stuff. I also loved to watch the top secret aircraft flying over out in the desert. My hometown was all about Aerospace and Defense.

Anyhow, good for Israel. At least they are entering the game.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2019, 05:20:56 PM »

The Stratolaunch made its first flight, it was made and flown in the Antelope Valley, in my hometown area, in Mojave...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/13/science/stratolaunch-first-flight.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratolaunch_Systems

Salute,

Tony V.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9