Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Science and Religion  (Read 3861 times)

Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Science and Religion
« on: July 30, 2018, 12:21:34 PM »

Can Science and Religion coexist? Discuss.

Itz ME!

• View Profile
Re: Science and Religion
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 03:47:29 PM »

Yes.

Thank you very much.
You're welcome very much as well.

PLAU
UPD

Itz ME!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 03:19:28 PM »

But, seriously, yes, they can and do combine.

I would hypothesize that the finding of the connection is going to take some give from both sides.

Religion can't fall back on, "It's unknowable," each time a question comes up.
Science can't fall back on, "It can't be reproduced in a lab," just because they haven't figured out how to test for it yet.

If we accept that there is actually very little that is actually mysterious, and that we can only detect the thin sliver of "reality" in the same way that we can only detect a sliver of the electromagnetic spectrum, we're half way there.

The same rules that govern the movement of fluids, exist in the movement of rocks (mountains, techtonic plates) and water vapor and air. The only difference being the density.

Meanwhile, those same principles apply to consciousness from the air of subconscious to the vapor of thought to the water of story to the rock of mythology.

What if we find that, just like we found that epigenetics shrunk the world of DNA down particles that attach to the DNA chain and become hereditary we find that there is an even smaller particle that produces species memory. We find that this memory is in essence the entity that we refer to as the "SOUL."

I can't prove it. But 20 years ago I couldn't even decode your DNA, and here we are. Would it have been reasonable (in retrospect) to think that there was no such thing as epigenetics (which I just use as the example)?

Yes, it would have been entirely reasonable.

So how can we reasonably be so sure that we know what is unreasonable from today? 

Meanwhile, how reasonable is it to think that the Earth has been in the business of transforming matter from not living to living and back and back to living from 3.7Ga (billion years ago) using the same mechanisms since the very beginning, and yet we are not a part of a larger community? That is (IMHO) not reasonable at all.

Can Science and Religion co-exist? Not in either's current format. But I'm working on changing that. Are you?

barton

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 06:13:40 PM »

The basic epistemological structure of science and religion are so incompatible right now that it's hard to imagine how a faith-based system and an empirical system would merge.  I know there have been spiritual figures, like Krishnamurthi, who believed there could be a "scientific religion," i.e. based on a truly empirical meditative approach to understand being and consciousness.  Perhaps as biology continues to increase our perception of the interconnected nature of all life, we will draw nearer to such a merging. 

barton

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 12:16:02 PM »

Boz,  is this the teeshirt you saw recently?