Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 24, 2018, 04:23:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Food Matters  (Read 10979 times)
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: May 02, 2007, 10:31:46 PM »

Discuss dining, wine, eating out/in, or recipes
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 12:06:06 PM »

Since I petitioned the Administrator for this discussion i guess I should post something to get things going.  My problem is I can riff off other people's ideas better than coming up with ideas of my own.  Yeah, I'm one of those who's always saying, "Boy Howdy, that's a great idea"!

Bought some buttermilk the other day, which seemed like a good thing to make really authentic buttermilk and sour cream dressing for some cukes.  But what to do with the rest?  I made two loaves of Irish soda bread (made croutons out of most of the second loaf--yummers) and two buttermilk pies, and this morning buttermilk pancakes.  Whew!  I'm buttermilked out.  I'm putting the last little bit in the compost.
liquidsilver
Superhero Member

Herpes, the gift that keeps on giving.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 12:10:27 PM »

Well, my wife and I just bought a house which means that we can actually use a real grill rather than the George Foreman version.  Anyone have any good recommendations for a good middle range grill?  Home Depot and Lowe's have a few brands I've never heard of - Charmglow and Perfect Flame.  I'm leaning towards a Char-Broil Commercial Series that I read a couple reviews about.  Any advice or suggestions?

"I hate listening to peoples dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of photographs. If I'm not in any of them and nobody's having sex, I just don't care."
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 03:21:45 PM »

Liquidsilver, how much money do you plan to spend?  Are you going to buy a stand alone grill (with a propane bottle) or incorporate a grill into a setting and have gas piped to it, etc.?  My daughter does the grilling at my place and she uses a plain vanilla smoker grill (red, shaped like a fat cigar).  Been using it for years and people who eat her grill like it.  Now, my sister's hubby grills once a day, sometimes twice.  He is an aficinado, a gormet, a boring know-it-all.  He has so much brushed chrome I have to get there late and wear shades.  His veggies are so "crisp" they are similar to uncooked.  His steaks moo, lamb bleats, and whole fish, well, you don't want to go there.  Naturally the big box stores are gonna recommend what they sell, but don't forget fireplace outfits--the kind that sell fireplace inserts and brick--as many of them have added grills and stuff to their inventory.
liquidsilver
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 03:26:54 PM »

I don't want to spend too much, probably between $300-$500 for a propane model.  I hadn't thought of fireplace outlets, I'll have to check that out.

"I hate listening to peoples dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of photographs. If I'm not in any of them and nobody's having sex, I just don't care."
bosox18d

Bayn Solomon just straight up sucks bum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 10:26:44 PM »

Buttermilk-Drink it!.As for grills I will only use a Weber Charcoal.I have two on the patio and the neighbor in my bldg has a propane grill out on the patio. With three we can cook all kinds of stuff.

"If it keeps going like this,the Zamboni driver is going to be the first star"
mnemonica

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 08:24:52 AM »

This here is a test -- my first message on this board! (You knew me as makrausse.)

I bought a little covered hibachi-like thing a few years ago to tide me over while I researched bigger grill models. Turns out it's been all I need -- I'm just grilling for two, and I mostly just do vegetables and chicken; occasionally steaks. It sits on the patio table, and it probably cost $50.

Buttermilk -- next time, buy a can of that buttermilk powder stuff. Keep it in the fridge and it'll keep forever. (Keep it in the cupboard and it'll get weevily.) I don't know if you can make buttermilk pie with it, though, and buttermilk pie suddenly sounds really good. Hm.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 01:00:36 PM »

Mnemonica, I have that powdered buttermilk in the fridge at all times.  Great stuff to use, or to just add to, in recipes.  But I have never, you know, reconstituted it as a portion of "live" buttermilk.  Hmm.  Well, I found the recipe for buttermilk pie in an old cookbook I have from some civic group in New Mexico (I collect cookbooks and have more than 100) that specialized in spicy food.  It seemed odd to find that pie recipe there.  Anyway, I use powdered to make pancakes and biscuits.  I just add it to the dry ingredients and then use water for the X amount of buttermilk in the recipe.
liquidsilver
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 09:49:54 PM »

Does anybody actually use the side grill on their propane grill? 

bosox18d

Bayn Solomon just straight up sucks bum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 10:49:27 PM »

My neighbor has used his before for heating sauce but most of the time its either a place to put the platter or the drink.

"If it keeps going like this,the Zamboni driver is going to be the first star"
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 04:09:45 PM »

Does anybody actually use the side grill on their propane grill? 

If you mean the burner attachment, one or two grills ago, we used it occasionally to heat up sauerkraut or chili if we were grilling dogs. But we used it probably 4-5 times over two years, so when purchasing a replacement we skipped that option.   

Last night we grilled pineapple, and it was to die for.  I know we didn't invent it or anything, but I do believe it is the best thing since sliced bread.
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 04:23:47 PM »

the best thing since sliced bread is the TOASTER.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 04:28:27 PM »

the best thing since sliced bread is the TOASTER.

Nope, sorry, I think grilled pineapple even beats the toaster.   (Is that you bux_bro?)
liquidsilver
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 04:29:30 PM »

Grilled bananas are pretty darn good too

law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 04:32:35 PM »

in the old days, when bux posted, it was, 'is that you law?'  either way, hi harrie!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: