Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 25, 2018, 04:28:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 61
  Print  
Author Topic: Food Matters  (Read 13163 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2007, 04:40:39 PM »

in the old days, when bux posted, it was, 'is that you law?'  either way, hi harrie!

Hey, bux!!  How'd that eternal life thing work out for you?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2007, 04:43:24 PM »

Grilled bananas are pretty darn good too

I have a bunch of them hanging around -- thanks for the tip, will try it this week.  Dumb question:  Do you cut them in half so they lay flat on the grill, or leave them round (but peeled)?
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2007, 06:00:04 PM »

harrie, life is eternal, cause when it ends, you don't know shit about it.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2007, 06:19:28 PM »

On grilled bananas...I would guess you'd slice them in half, lengthwise.  But do you put anything on them before grilling?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2007, 07:29:11 PM »

I'll probably brush a little olive oil on them, especially given their sugar content.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2007, 07:30:34 PM »

harrie, life is eternal, cause when it ends, you don't know shit about it.

Wow, I'm already at the DNS point; must be ahead of schedule.  I hope.
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2007, 12:58:06 PM »

is that Don't [Know] Shit or is it Do Not Suscitate.
neversleep

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2007, 10:07:18 AM »

test
prairiepop

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2007, 12:28:28 PM »

About those 'nanners...super for upkeep of potassium levels for daily maintenance...and here's how My Mum fixed 'em:  baked with little dots of butter, high temp. [400-425] until browned.  Indian curry multi-boy dinners [her fave for company] placed a baked 'nanner underneath the serving of rice--before globbing on the curried whatsit and adding the 'boys' [condiments like toasted coconut, chutney, minced boiled egg, chopped green onions, crushed peanuts, currants] on top.  Great farewell to roast leg o' lamb, BTW...favored in the old Raj days to conceal the elderly meats in pre-refrig days.  Feeling lavish?  Use shrimp.  Feeling lite?  Use chicken.  Why the term 'boy' for condiments?  Welll....mum was a Frightfully Upper old gal and recalled the Raj term for servants.. a 6-boy curry meant 6 condiment dishes hustled to tableside by 6.  Respectfully, no doubt.  Impoverished Mem Sahibs merely circled the curry platter with the condiment dishes...  The only approved chutney was called Major Gray's, and the last time I checked prices...fuhgeddaboutit. 
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2007, 05:39:13 PM »

PrairiePop, lest we forget, the Portugese were in India, Ceylon, and surrounds before the English.  The use of "boy" by the English for the male servants in their household comes from the Portugese "bhoi," which was the name of a Hindu caste of palanquin and umbrella bearers.  This specific use of "bhoi" spread to become generic for servant.  Interesting, your report, that the number of condiments would equal the number of servants needed to bring them to the table.  That was one of the drawbacks to the end of the Raj.  Full employment went by the wayside.

It was common for Indians to be employed in English households to perform just one task, ie., the man who only killed turkeys for the household of the X (sorry I can't remember the title of the big kuhana that ran India in those days) and whose complete compliment of servants numbered 5000.  The way things are for folks in the countryside in India today makes you feel sympathy with those Indians who today look with some fondness on the old Raj days.

I've always thought Indians would be so much better off if they ate those cows that now wander the streets.  They could maybe have a national holiday--like our thanksgiving--and have one big beef barbeque.  Over one billion Indians could scarfe down quite a bit of that free protein.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2007, 12:32:25 AM »

I've always thought Indians would be so much better off if they ate those cows that now wander the streets.  They could maybe have a national holiday--like our thanksgiving--and have one big beef barbeque.  Over one billion Indians could scarfe down quite a bit of that free protein.

I bit sacrligious, and shame on me for finding your remark outrageously funny ;-)

Prairepop...I'm definitely going to try those bananas...maybe without the mouldy lamb...

Maybe I'll try bananas, curried rice fried with a bit of onion, then toss on some  raisins and almonds. 
bosox18d

Bayn Solomon just straight up sucks bum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2007, 02:26:11 AM »

This forum seems to be lagging.I left the NYTimes a good half year or more before the end but does anyone know if Balzac was still posting or if anyone knows how to tell her about this.We need a few foodies and or folks who think Amanda Hesser(sp)  has no clue about food.

"If it keeps going like this,the Zamboni driver is going to be the first star"
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2007, 10:56:25 AM »

Eventually people will be tempted to come over and find this place.

My wife has started writing a cook book.  Anyone have any suggestions on promoting and getting it published?
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2007, 11:24:39 AM »

TrojanHorse, I hope your wife is writing a cookbook that is "pegged" on some kind of "specific".  General cookbooks tend to be written by "names" in the food world.  Other than being a reader and buyer of cookbooks that's all I know about the process of getting a cookbook out there in book stores.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2007, 12:01:43 PM »

Trojanhorse...sounds exciting for your wife.  What sorts of recipes does she like?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 61
  Print  

Jump to: