Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
May 27, 2018, 03:56:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is Britney's career over?
Yes
No

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 38
  Print  
Author Topic: Celebreality  (Read 12150 times)
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #405 on: January 24, 2008, 02:29:47 PM »

Harrie -

Unpacked my books last night (finally bought a shelf for my new home) and found The Princes in the Tower!  Also Weir's Wars of the Roses!

Excellent!  On my end, the cover to The Princes in the Tower looks awfully familiar, so we're going through the books at home before I commit my bookstore card.  Already have the Wars of the Roses one, starting that shortly.

Okay, harrie.  I am going to finish my Mary Queen of Scots bio (my third one) and then plunge back into medieval England.  I think I'll start with The Princes in the Tower.  God I love this stuff!
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #406 on: January 24, 2008, 02:31:05 PM »

Where's maddie I wonder?  I get worried about her if she drops out for a few days.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #407 on: January 24, 2008, 02:52:56 PM »

Maddie is busily interacting in the Film threads, among others.

Why is Celebreality harboring a chat about British history and literature?  Just how far back do we go in using the term, "celebrity?"

Now you have me wondering if William the Conqueror was followed around by sketch artists, furiously drawing away as they chased after him on his way into the pub or brothel.  What would be the early equivalent of grabbing a camera and yanking the film or memory card out of it? 

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #408 on: January 24, 2008, 02:54:19 PM »

I'm in the campaign forum. Dzimas and I sometimes run a dueling team against both the Republicans and the Democrats.  Either he starts on an issue they raise, and I dig up more; or we reverse , and I do a monologue of complaints and then he substantiates.  As Marti from New Jersey (and Am.History nytimes) used to comment, we could have been Dorothy and Dick on WOR in the morning. That's Dorothy Kilgallen and her husband,Richard Kollmar who broadcast out of their apartment and called it Breakfast with Dorothy and Dick.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #409 on: January 24, 2008, 02:55:41 PM »

Barton, Guillaume laid them in the hay lofts of barns.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #410 on: January 24, 2008, 04:15:51 PM »

Maddie is busily interacting in the Film threads, among others.

Why is Celebreality harboring a chat about British history and literature?  Just how far back do we go in using the term, "celebrity?"

Now you have me wondering if William the Conqueror was followed around by sketch artists, furiously drawing away as they chased after him on his way into the pub or brothel.  What would be the early equivalent of grabbing a camera and yanking the film or memory card out of it? 

Can't discuss in World History because they're talking about another book by consensus, so decided to disrupt the action over here.

Seriously, just made a passing remark cause I saw harrie over here, one thing led to another, etc.  Actually, Celebreality is a good topic title for any discussion of Richard III and his contemporaries, who lead a life far more drama-filled than even Britney's.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #411 on: January 24, 2008, 04:16:27 PM »

LOL, maddie.  Tag teaming with Dzimas isn't a bad idea.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #412 on: January 25, 2008, 11:50:35 AM »

So....to merge Richard III seamlessly with this topic....one must ask, did he wear underpants?

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #413 on: January 25, 2008, 01:36:51 PM »

I seem to remember reading that he was fond of shocking his courtiers by strolling around with no codpiece, but let me check my sources...
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #414 on: January 25, 2008, 01:52:34 PM »

Only his dresser knows for sure.....
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #415 on: January 25, 2008, 01:53:43 PM »

But I just don't want to think about, much less picture, Richard III going commando.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #416 on: January 25, 2008, 03:17:04 PM »

If they really wanted to cut up sartorially in those days, they did things like lengthening the points on their sleeves and shoes, really off-the-wall stuff like that... Wink
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #417 on: January 25, 2008, 03:22:45 PM »

LOL, maddie.  Tag teaming with Dzimas isn't a bad idea.
[/quote]

Well, he was just so nice about keeping me informed; when everyone ignored American Dynasty by Kevin Phillips(except valle-inclan, of course, and donotremove, and occasionally people would figuratively "open the door to  see what we were up to " while I was given this crash course  in the Basics of the Bush Attitude toward non-Bush Republicans and others...somehow beneath contempt.  This was inspiring. I had just thought of Bushes as nit-wits, previously; now I kept track of their entire history, re: this forum and Richard the III for instance. The luncheon table conversation of little George when the Queen came to lunch on her Virginia trip was an eye-opener. Elizabeth's remark to Barbara, just between Mothers, was likewise insightful. Nothing on the order of, "I have one just like that at home,myself. Charles has his head full of architecture and gardening ...." Well, you get the picture.

I just popped in to see if anybody had found any articles on this afternoon's funeral or perhaps this evening at the Campbell Funeral Home. The Ledgers were expected to arrive today. I have an inkling that Manhattan is going  to have something that looks like a mob cordoned off on the sidewalk opposite side of the street.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #418 on: January 25, 2008, 03:35:37 PM »

]
So....to merge Richard III seamlessly with this topic....one must ask, did he wear underpants?

Barton, those were the under-pants; no panty lines, you know.  The benefit of tights was that you just roll them down from the waist. The French always set the fashion  originally introduced to Harold and also laughed themselves silly when noticing that the 'English' got down from their horses to engage in combat. They had never seen anything so silly in their life.  After that generations at court always asked when the French dance master was arriving.

Everything else on the ballet can be found in the Poetry forum, I suspect. You can begin to understand how useful tights were as a garment for all occasions when you think about slipping into your armor  for a little jouer. The French learned this from the Romans(about the horse-play not the tights and garters); so someone had to teach it to those on the other side of the channel. I just saw the most wonderful film the other night on how to get fried by getting in too close with the battering ram; oh,yes, that was Braveheart.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #419 on: January 27, 2008, 06:38:19 PM »

Sex and the City actress Sarah Jessica Parker (left) says she has a crush on French president Nicolas Sarkozy, comparing him to the fictional 'Big' from her TV series. (Mail on Sunday)

See, Western Europe forum for accompanying sillyness....
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 38
  Print  

Jump to: