Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 17, 2018, 09:43:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is Britney's career over?
Yes
No

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38
  Print  
Author Topic: Celebreality  (Read 13027 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #375 on: January 17, 2008, 12:57:11 PM »

Des, Maddy, have you read Neal Ascherson's Stone Voices,

http://www.amazon.com/Stone-Voices-Scotland-Neal-Ascherson/dp/0809084910/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200556020&sr=1-4

very amusing chapter on the celebreality of Braveheart, as well his thoughts on Sean Connery, and Trent Lott pushing for a National Tartan Day in America.

Okay, so you won't believe this easily. But, I just saw Braveheart last night. Not bad because in retrospect,realizing that he made this before his other critical tribulations, it makes him look like a genius almost approaching the scale of Lawrence Olivier in resolving the field-problems of the camera for battle. Also, the things that looked corny according to public taste at the time of the movie's release, now work in his favor; although, in my mind,I can just about do the dialogue on the set,or rather location, when they organize the  shots for the story-board:"What do you intend to have follow here in the sequence?"

"Oh, you know that romantic bit that I used  previously in...."

In the long run, it may turn out that when looking back from the future, critical assessment will acknowledge that his unreserved passion for the inclusion of violence as key scenes was realistic of him considering the period of time when his film-making was popularly attended.  It just may be that he was a realist about us.

As to Sean Connery, he has written a book of his own or is still in process of writing it. I have checked on where it all stands at present. Because I occasionally take a lot at,"The Scotsman" which is a little paper, also on-line, that abruptly returns you to a present world that still exists a bit more simply than we oft remember.  They just haven't gotten around to books review as of yet; they will report who is writing one but your taste is your own.

I have no doubt Lott's,Tartan Day is meant to show off his knobby knees, but most people wear it anyday that they please. I have spent time in two areas profoundly immersed in their origins as Scots, Ontario, Canada for custom and language and the other is Princeton where Scots have lived for four centuries in ways that will continue into a fifth(no pun intended) and where they use their option for privacy but sometime splendidly reveal themselves for who they are. My spontaneous chat with Mrs. Brown in her full regalia, the mother in law of John McPhee, will always stand out to me as an occasion when the the true meaning of "weird" reveals itself.

The kindly Jane Alexander, mistress of Rockingham, married to the descendant of Lord Stirling, was the next revelation of simple virtues.

I should not forget the Bruces. They live there too and I think that I first met them at Pennington? Mother and daughter, they introduced themselves to me.
This was a landscape in which they took their traditions very seriously, they gather weekly to dance in their own society and as usual will celebrate in a little over the week on Jan.25 up at Rocky Hill and other places in the vicinity.

From there I went to Clans gathering  across the river into Pennsylvania on the plateau just beyond the Delaware River. They are best attended on cool moist days with plenty of mud for the sporting events. More dignified summer sittings on that side of the river's Washington's Crossing are for enjoying the Black Watch pipers.

On one occasion at Hopewell, I had my very own piper show up and it took me a bit to follow the sound and find her not at the top of my hill with the corn but down below in the town square, marching methodically back and forth to practice until my neighbour complained, and with great dignity the piper packed her things neatly in the trunk of her car and rode away as stately as she had marched.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #376 on: January 17, 2008, 02:06:09 PM »

Desdemona...I'm not talking about college age women here.  Women in college are adults, free to make reasoned choices,  mom may not like daughter's choices, but making a workable relationship between daughter and  mom is part of the deal.  Teen-aged girls...won't even go there.  Teen-agers girls have to disagree with their mothers, otherwise, working out the whole process of moving into adulthood would be just too painful.  And, we know that at 12 into their twenty-somethings, girls want to be anyone but their mother.

I am talking about little girls...in the 4 to 9 age range, and I think their approach to dressing has changed quite a bit in the last five or eight years.  The other day, I saw a mother and daughter in matching pink v-necked tees...silver lettering.  The little girl appeared to be around 6.  Her shirt said, "Jail Bait."  The mother's matching one said, "Been there, done that."  The little girl was wearing some cute pants, sort of like the black spandexy leggings that were popular in the eighties.  Quite cute on the little girl, but unfortunately, the mother appeared to have squeezed herself into the same sized spandex pants as her little girl....

This is the sort of thing one used to see only on Jerry Springer or in Walmart    Wink

Oh, no, that would be WAY too well dressed for Walmart here, at least.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #377 on: January 17, 2008, 02:07:28 PM »

Desdemona...I'm not talking about college age women here.  Women in college are adults, free to make reasoned choices,  mom may not like daughter's choices, but making a workable relationship between daughter and  mom is part of the deal.  Teen-aged girls...won't even go there.  Teen-agers girls have to disagree with their mothers, otherwise, working out the whole process of moving into adulthood would be just too painful.  And, we know that at 12 into their twenty-somethings, girls want to be anyone but their mother.

I am talking about little girls...in the 4 to 9 age range, and I think their approach to dressing has changed quite a bit in the last five or eight years.  The other day, I saw a mother and daughter in matching pink v-necked tees...silver lettering.  The little girl appeared to be around 6.  Her shirt said, "Jail Bait."  The mother's matching one said, "Been there, done that."  The little girl was wearing some cute pants, sort of like the black spandexy leggings that were popular in the eighties.  Quite cute on the little girl, but unfortunately, the mother appeared to have squeezed herself into the same sized spandex pants as her little girl....

This is the sort of thing one used to see only on Jerry Springer or in Walmart    Wink

Oh, no, that would be WAY too well dressed for Walmart here, at least.

Really - "Jailbait" on a 6-yr-old?  That's horrible!
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #378 on: January 17, 2008, 02:17:05 PM »

The kid wears the Jailbait tee because of Ms Spears?

Ooooookey-doke
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #379 on: January 17, 2008, 02:41:26 PM »

Jail Bait is also the name of an attractive young woman, no where near the age that you mention, in the film: Charlie Wilson's War.

She is one of Senator Wilson's office staff.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #380 on: January 17, 2008, 06:35:11 PM »

Yes Kid,  I would put it down as part of a general trend.  I'm sure this existed in high schools long before Britney.  (I do recall back in the 80's the popular dress was big hair, leggings and long tops for high school girls...think Cyndi Lauper.)  But in the 90's Britney came out with "Hit Me Baby One More Time," a video set in a high school that had Britney wearing her take on the Catholic schoolgirl uniform.  High school girls, perhaps in the battle for their boys' attention, embraced the fashion wholeheartedly.  A few years later, it had worked its way down into the Middle School scene.  Then a little after that, it worked its way into elementary school.   

I wouldn't put it all down to Britney.  I would also factor in television, music videos, parenting styles...But since the time of "Hit Me Baby",  the idea of dressing ala rock star has become quite commonplace in elementary school...to the extent that many schools have introduced dress codes.  In the schools that I am familiar with, the dress code is sold to the parents as a way of keeping their children's clothing budget in line.  But behind the scenes there is much talk of little girls being exposed to TRL and of parents who don't seem to have a sense of what clothes are appropriate for their early elementary daughters to wear to school. 

The weird extension of this all is that now we have in our schools, very young boys who make inappropriate sexual remarks to little girls.  Stuff that used to have to be discussed around grade 4 or 5 is now becoming prevalent in grade 1. 

« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 06:40:21 PM by Lhoffman » Logged
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #381 on: January 18, 2008, 05:17:00 AM »

I think Britney is the product of a lurid viewing audience which seems to enjoy watching pop stars unravel before their eyes.  In her shalllow effort to push the boundaries, which seems to date back to her infamous kiss with Madonna, she has gone downhill fast.  By contrast, Christina Aguilera, who shared in that kiss, has had a meteoric rise, and looks far more healthy these days than does dear Britney.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 07:22:12 AM by Dzimas » Logged
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #382 on: January 18, 2008, 09:40:13 AM »

Someone is missing a golden opportunity not making these court-imposed workdays into a reality show,

Lindsay,  http://omg.yahoo.com/lohan-to-work-in-morgue-as-punishment/news/5808

Snoop Dog,  http://evilbeetgossip.film.com/2007/10/11/snoop-doggs-taking-out-the-trash/

desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #383 on: January 18, 2008, 09:51:51 AM »

The current biggest trainwreck in England, Amy Winehouse, is reportedly going to be at the Emmy's.  They're not saying if she's performing yet, but if she is, you might want to catch it.  She's unbelievably talented.  I think she's going to be the next deceased musical icon, terrible as that sounds.

http://bossip.com/uploaded_images/amywinehousebeforeafter5-713990.jpg
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #384 on: January 18, 2008, 10:07:57 AM »

The current biggest trainwreck in England, Amy Winehouse, is reportedly going to be at the Emmy's.  They're not saying if she's performing yet, but if she is, you might want to catch it.  She's unbelievably talented.  I think she's going to be the next deceased musical icon, terrible as that sounds.

Winehouse is a great talent.  She got passed over for the Mercury top prize in England.  There was quite a row over that one as her father and her father-in-law had a battle royale over whether the industry should recognize her or not because of her cocaine heroin addiction.  Mick Jagger even offered to do an intervention.  I just hope she doesn't go the way of Janis Joplin.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 10:39:38 AM by Dzimas » Logged
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #385 on: January 18, 2008, 10:13:39 AM »

Winehouse is a great talent.  She got passed over for the Mercury top prize in England.  There was quite a row over that one as her father and her father-in-law had a battle royale over whether the industry should recognize her or not because of her cocaine addiction.  Mick Jagger even offered to do an intervention.  I just hope she doesn't go the way of Janis Joplin.

That's what I'm saying, dzimas.  I mean, GOD she SO GREAT but look at her!!  Trying to find a free download of her music right now - mine was on comcast.net but it's gone now.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 11:08:57 AM by desdemona222b » Logged
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #386 on: January 18, 2008, 10:20:11 AM »

Turns out there's lots of her stuff on YouTube - just take your pick and listen.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #387 on: January 18, 2008, 10:45:49 AM »

She's all over the place on European radio.  Back to Black is her second album, so it surprises me that she is up for best new artist at the Grammy's.  Frank was her first cut.  It was interesting that Sharon Jones took exception to Winehouse's soul-inspired second album, saying she's been there and done that on previous albums like Naturally,

http://www.amazon.com/Naturally-Sharon-Jones-Dap-Kings/dp/B00070Q8L8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1200670923&sr=1-2

which I first heard on KEXP 3 years back.  Pretty darn good!  She's followed it up with 100 Days, 100 Nights.  I don't think she's appeared on Grammy's radar screen yet.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 10:48:49 AM by Dzimas » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #388 on: January 18, 2008, 11:21:59 AM »

http://tinyurl.com/yw3moy

Bin Laden's Son Wants to Be Peace Envoy

(In the current popular expression, "How could you not believe?" someone with dreadlocks like Stevie Wonder?)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #389 on: January 18, 2008, 02:00:08 PM »

I think Britney is the product of a lurid viewing audience which seems to enjoy watching pop stars unravel before their eyes. 

I think Britney was fun to watch implode at first (in a shameful way, I admit), but now it's just sad and I don't want to know one more thing about her or her "fabulous" life. I can't help wondering, though, whether it's BS being hounded and driven crazy by the paparazzi, or her courting them with calculatedly bizarre behavior.  Then there's the whole is she or isn't she bipolar issue to really muck up things.  Who knows, really?

We've had the same discussion at our house about Aguilera -- as in, who'd have thought she'd be the one to turn out normal?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38
  Print  

Jump to: