Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23

Author Topic: Giants  (Read 29117 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Giants
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2020, 08:32:23 PM »

46-196 - and 4 TDs

11-94 receiving and 2 more TDS

What's that - 6 TD for Damien Williams in the playoffs?

57 touches overall in 3 games?

Not necessary to have a great back?

OK - sure does make it easier.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2020, 11:11:53 AM »

Great teams make good RBs look great.  That was my point.  Williams wasn't even drafted!  They invested elsewhere.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2020, 09:18:46 PM »

Nah... nice try

I dont think anything makes a good back look great.

Eye test on Williams - I dont care where he was drafted - his background was quite impressive pre-senior season - and he is now a seasoned pro with GREAT tools.

Nope - doesnt mean the KC Chiefs could have taken any undrafted "athlete" type and made him a playoff lead dog.  Not one bit

I think we have said enough on the issue.  I am thrilled Barkley is a Giant.  But if you want to lay out how the team might look had we taken Darnold or an OT in his place, I will sure listen.   You cant just make a blanket statement that we'd be better off and let it lie there.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2020, 09:41:31 PM »

Nah... nice try

I dont think anything makes a good back look great.

Eye test on Williams - I dont care where he was drafted - his background was quite impressive pre-senior season - and he is now a seasoned pro with GREAT tools.

Nope - doesnt mean the KC Chiefs could have taken any undrafted "athlete" type and made him a playoff lead dog.  Not one bit

I think we have said enough on the issue.  I am thrilled Barkley is a Giant.  But if you want to lay out how the team might look had we taken Darnold or an OT in his place, I will sure listen.   You cant just make a blanket statement that we'd be better off and let it lie there.

I'm still taking Barkley there, not Darnold.  But there were those advocating trading back, getting more picks, and landing Nelson.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/56763/trading-down-for-quenton-nelson-a-realistic-option-for-giants-in-nfl-draft

Giants took another guard in the 2nd rd (Hernandez) after taking Barkley in the first.  So it's an open question if they would have gone Guard in rd1 and followed up with Hernandez in rd2. 

It's hard to project what happens if they'd gone that route.  Do they take RB Nick Chubb (pro bowler) instead of Hernandez?  Do they go with Darius Leonard and fix the gaping hole at LB (2018 defensive first team all pro) Or do they draft two young guards (Nelson was a pro bowler this year) and if they do that you don't need to make the trade with the Browns of Olivier Vernon for Kevin Zeitler  and if you don't make that deal maybe you never expand it to include Beckham.  Etc Etc.... too many variables.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2020, 11:24:25 PM »

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2020, 11:49:20 PM »

New mock - Giants deal down, add a nickel back

Simmons falls to 14

https://www.nj.com/giants/2020/04/nfl-draft-2020-giants-chargers-blockbuster-shakes-top-5-justin-herbert-skyrockets-nj-advance-media-live-mock.html

CJ Henderson falling to 16 is a surprise as well.  He could be as good as Okudah.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Breaking with tradition for DG
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2020, 07:47:27 PM »

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29050008/dave-gettleman-says-giants-seriously-entertain-trade-no-4

The Giants own the fourth overall selection, but they have just two picks among the top 95 picks. Adding picks by trading back -- while remaining in the top half of the draft -- appears to be a desire.

"It's something I will very seriously entertain," Gettleman said Friday on a conference call with reporters.

But there's also this:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29049304/lions-open-trading-no-3-pick-nfl-draft-gm-bob-quinn-says
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 07:49:16 PM by Kam »

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Wirfs or Wills probable
« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2020, 01:51:03 AM »

Wirfs > Wills but can't ignore the Saban connection.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2020, 11:28:09 AM »

I like the Alabama player best.

Obviously it won't be the Louisville giant now (drug flag problem)

But my pick is still Tua - with consideration of a during or post draft deal.

"We're taking him unless one of you guys want him"

If we ended up at 12 (OAK dealing up) I would also look at WR - then take the lineman with the next pick.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 11:44:31 AM by kiidcarter8 »

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Alumni Opinions
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2020, 10:23:58 PM »

https://www.giants.com/video/2020-nfl-draft-preview-david-diehl-shaun-o-hara-break-down-o-line-class

Wills is most NFL -ready.   -David Deihl

Ranking by Diehl

1. Wills
2. Thomas
3. Wirfs
4. Bechton

Tier II
5. Josh Jones
6. Austin Jackson

Very impressed with Wills, as a RT he protected TUA's blind side but Andrew Thomas is the best left tackle, Wirfs the best run blocker BUT don't draft him if you're not a run-first offense and don't expect him or Wills to move to the LT.  -Shaun O'Hara

Ranking by O'Hara

1. Thomas
2. Wills
3. Wirfs
4. Bechton

Tier II
5. Josh Jones
6. Ezra Cleveland
7. Austin Jackson
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 10:41:56 PM by Kam »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2020, 11:55:47 PM »

Thanks for the Diehl perspective

-----
I have heard Willis could change sides - not that he definitely would with NYG - and that Wirfs could play either as well

There is more movement at the pro level among tackles than you think.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2020, 09:25:12 AM »

Thanks for the Diehl perspective

-----
I have heard Willis could change sides - not that he definitely would with NYG - and that Wirfs could play either as well

There is more movement at the pro level among tackles than you think.

O'Hara did say that either of the RTs could play LT but they had ALL-PRO potential at RT.  HE credited Diehl for being able to move around on the OL and said it's not as simple switch.  He used a colorful analogy of going to the bathroom and using your other hand to wipe.  He said "It gets the job done but things can get messy"

It was also pointed out, i forget by whom, that when Judge was with the Patriots they drafted a lot of guys out of Georgia.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2020, 10:31:25 PM »

If we ended up at 12 (OAK dealing up) I would also look at WR - then take the lineman with the next pick.

It's all but certain the first pick (even if there's a trade down) will be an OT.

You want a WR?  Cool. Me too.  But this draft is loaded with WRs and there may be some good ones there on Day 3.

One name to watch:  Antonio Gandy-Golden. 6'4". 223lbs red-zone threat.  Giants haven't had a tall receiver since Burress.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Jax-Giants rumor
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2020, 12:04:01 PM »

Jax trade up to 4 for a QB, Giants trade down and grab their tackle at 9.  Plus other picks.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2020, 08:12:32 PM »

You want a WR?  Cool. Me too.  But this draft is loaded with WRs and there may be some good ones there on Day 3.

Yeah, true

But if you pass on an All Pro...........
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23