Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all of the NFL teams make it through the whole season?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:04:36 PM

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 329

Author Topic: National Football League  (Read 167084 times)

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Re: NFL
« Reply #1095 on: May 11, 2019, 12:03:27 AM »

Not if you have your QB and continue to build it properly.

If there is a position in the modern NFL game that rivals the QB in importance it is edge rusher.

I've also heard CB was the next most important position.  I don't know.  But i like our front 3 defensive linemen and the CBs and Safeties we've added.  Perennially weak at LB.  Much is expected from Markus Golden.

KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: May 11, 2019, 07:55:46 PM »

If there is a position in the modern NFL game that rivals the QB in importance it is edge rusher.

I've also heard CB was the next most important position.  I don't know.  But i like our front 3 defensive linemen and the CBs and Safeties we've added.  Perennially weak at LB.  Much is expected from Markus Golden.

Great edge rushers make average CBs, and secondaries for that matter, look good. Poor edge rushers make good CBs look average.

What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: May 11, 2019, 09:39:44 PM »

Terribly simplistic

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: May 11, 2019, 10:59:03 PM »

Good cover corners make offensive lines work longer.  By the end of the game those average pass rushers will find a foothold to exploit.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: May 12, 2019, 12:04:56 AM »

Hierarchy of needs NFL style
generally goes something like this

QBs
DE-rushers
OT
CB
S
TE
LB
RB
K
P
LS

and if you follow the money and the draft it more or less plays out that way

good QBs get drafted top of the draft and then stud edge rushers, then tackles who can deal with the edge guys....

there is probably no more efficient way to a D to be disruptive than have 1 guy who can blow up a play all by himself, (1 corner can't do that) and thats why edge rushers are in demand in a passing league. 1 stud guy can have a pretty big impact.

you're welcome
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 12:13:43 AM by bankshot1 »

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: May 12, 2019, 10:53:37 AM »

Great edge rushers make average CBs, and secondaries for that matter, look good. Poor edge rushers make good CBs look average.
Good corners make average pass rushers look great. Forcing the QB to hold the ball an extra tick makes a huge difference. That is why the Browns took Ward over Chubb last year. Their review showed them their rush was good, but people were open all over the field so that the rush always looked late. It all works together. Offenses will expose any weak point, regardless of strength.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: May 12, 2019, 11:01:04 AM »

So what boz is indirectly saying is that once the Browns were satisfied with their pass rush they felt that a (hopefully) shut-down CB would strengthen their D.

And yes good corners can lead to cover-sacks and are complimentary to edge/pass rushers. Both help each other.

But the hierarchy of needs is pretty constant.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: May 12, 2019, 11:38:14 AM »

So what boz is indirectly saying is that once the Browns were satisfied with their pass rush they felt that a (hopefully) shut-down CB would strengthen their D.

And yes good corners can lead to cover-sacks and are complimentary to edge/pass rushers. Both help each other.

If his receivers are open  the QB doesn't need time. If there is no rush, CBs will lose.their ma . It is the circle of life. Hierarchy of needs be damned. You cannot build a line at the expense of your secondary or a secondary at the expense of your line for.the same reason a weightifter does not  build his right arm at.the expense of the left.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: May 12, 2019, 02:02:22 PM »

If his receivers are open  the QB doesn't need time. If there is no rush, CBs will lose.their ma . It is the circle of life. Hierarchy of needs be damned. You cannot build a line at the expense of your secondary or a secondary at the expense of your line for.the same reason a weightifter does not  build his right arm at.the expense of the left.

Football is still a trench warfare game. You lose the line of scrimmage, you lose. And in today's pass-happy NFL even crappy QBs have completion % above 60%. Given the rules advantages to the passing game, most CBs will lose their man in a couple of seconds or get flagged for holding. So pass completed for flag/1st down.

You need at least 1-stud pass rusher to pressre the QB to throw before he wants to. And even if you have a shut-down corner, a good QB will look elsewhere to pick apart a team. I've seen it happen for 18 years.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: May 12, 2019, 02:49:59 PM »

All right Maslow

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: May 12, 2019, 03:16:31 PM »

All right Maslow

my friends call me Abe.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: May 13, 2019, 03:43:19 PM »

Terribly simplistic

Probably seems that way to you. Not surprised.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: May 13, 2019, 03:49:50 PM »

Good cover corners make offensive lines work longer.  By the end of the game those average pass rushers will find a foothold to exploit.

If you ever played football you will know that defenses, especially the rushers DL and DE, expend much more energy than offensive linemen. Thus you will see a lot of DL rotation going on.

And by the end of the game everyone is tired. Including those average pass rushers.

No my point was about time Kam. To an NFL quarterback time is life's blood.

And to NFL secondaries too much of it means certain death.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 06:58:11 PM by CaptainCargo »

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: May 13, 2019, 03:51:06 PM »

Hierarchy of needs NFL style
generally goes something like this

QBs
DE-rushers
OT
CB
S
TE
LB
RB
K
P
LS

and if you follow the money and the draft it more or less plays out that way

good QBs get drafted top of the draft and then stud edge rushers, then tackles who can deal with the edge guys....

there is probably no more efficient way to a D to be disruptive than have 1 guy who can blow up a play all by himself, (1 corner can't do that) and thats why edge rushers are in demand in a passing league. 1 stud guy can have a pretty big impact.

you're welcome

Sage.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: May 13, 2019, 04:01:18 PM »

While I'll agree on paper you are technically correct.

AFC Championship game 2016, Brady vs two badass DE's. The hands down greatest QB I have ever seen had the worst big game I've ever seen him have. Three of the Broncos secondary players were All-Pros. Two of those 1st team, both CBs. I have no doubt Brady picks them apart without that killer pass rush.

Thus my preference.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 07:14:45 PM by CaptainCargo »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 329