Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all of the NFL teams make it through the whole season?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:04:36 PM

Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 329

Author Topic: National Football League  (Read 166519 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: National Football League
« Reply #3840 on: October 04, 2021, 08:02:09 PM »

I'm rooting for the Pats tonight and every night

But I'm cheering for Brady the greatest QB to play the game.

That's the same guy who lost to Eli in the DB, TWICE, isn't it?

Heh
As we all know Brady lost twice to the Giants in memorable championship games. I said he was the GOAT and he is. I did n⁴ot say he was undefeated or invincible.

He's a product of an era. That's all. I've seen better QBs.

You may have seen better passers. I have too. But you nor I have ever seen a better QB. Nor a leader like Brady do what he can do for as long as he has done it. He is the unicorn.

Poorly informed people often confuse the difference between the qualities of a great QB and a guy who can throw the ball.

You well represent the poorly informed, so there's that.

Product of the era.
What does that even mean? It doesn't matter if you are Tom Brady or Joe Montana or Johnny Unitas, or Otto Graham or Sid Luckman, every quarterback is a product of the era. That is not for them to decide. All they have to decide is what to do with the time that is given them. The era influences his numbers, but not his ability as a quarterback. Brady is not like Lamar Jackson or Jalen Hurts or Kyle Murray; he does not have a skill set that is unique to now, in fact if anything he is an outlier: a strong armed and accurate pocket passer with a quick release and snap decision making who is more mobile in the pocket than mobile generally. Yes, the difference in era makes raw number comparisons inexact if not downright lies, but there is nothing in Brady that would make him any less great in any earlier era. Mind you this is coming from someone who generally dislikes northeastern US sports teams and has rooted against him for his entire career and in every Super Bowl he played in except one he lost*, loathes Bill Belcher (so much so that I am keeping the autocorrect) and refuses to even mention his alma mater without insulting that Voldemort of US educational institutions.

I don't necessarily disagree with you on the ultimate point -.I am not sure who I would seriously propose for the GOAT - but to say someone is a product of their times to me needs to be backed by identifying what would make them less of a quarterback in different times. I don't see that with Brady.

* Fuck the 72 Dolphins.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: October 04, 2021, 08:14:20 PM »

I don't necessarily disagree with you on the ultimate point -.I am not sure who I would seriously propose for the GOAT - but to say someone is a product of their times to me needs to be backed by identifying what would make them less of a quarterback in different times. I don't see that with Brady.

Statistically this one is easy

2 back sets for one.

Bump and run is another.

Sticky stuff, a la Lester Hayes.....
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: October 04, 2021, 08:17:33 PM »

As for the GOAT - well, I gave you the numbers

You like the guy on the better teams?  Thats cool.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: October 04, 2021, 08:32:05 PM »

Statistically this one is easy

2 back sets for one.

Bump and run is another.

Sticky stuff, a la Lester Hayes.....
So what about Brady makes you think he wouldn't be as relatively successful in those days as he is now?
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: October 04, 2021, 08:58:02 PM »

Depending on the team he was with....

There is ONE player with a better W-L record in playoff games than Brady (by percentage, minimum ten games)  edit - make that 2

Tom could possibly be as good as THAT guy if he played back then.  Dont know if he'd have been the best.

Did guys like Starr and Bradshaw get picked off more back then because they were inadequate - or because there were less guys getting open?  Hmmm...

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: October 04, 2021, 08:59:50 PM »

A better question to ask is could QBs from prior periods adapt to faster, smarter and quicker defensive players and more complex defensive schemes and process the massive amount of info that Brady (or Peyton or Rodgers have to today) within a few seconds and adjust his calls to what he sees?

Again don't confuse passing stats as the sole factor needed to be a great QB.

Marino may have been the best passer I ever saw, but he wasn't close to being the best QB.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: October 04, 2021, 09:01:43 PM »

A better question to ask is could QBs from prior periods adapt to faster, smarter and quicker defensive players and more complex defensive schemes and process the massive amount of info that Brady (or Peyton or Rodgers have to today) within a few seconds and adjust his calls to what he sees?

Well, no way

Havent you heard - Terry Bradshaw was dumb, dumb, dumbbbb

heh

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: October 04, 2021, 09:08:22 PM »

I do not think guys not getting open was a problem for Bradshaw.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: October 04, 2021, 09:09:16 PM »

Heh

Compared to now?

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: October 04, 2021, 09:09:32 PM »

Do you know that the 60s Packers and 70s Steelers both relied on great Ds packed with all-time great players to win championships and generally were reliant on ground games on offense (Packers more than the Steelers).

Probably not.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: October 04, 2021, 09:14:48 PM »

NFL playoff QB win percentage

Starr    9-1
Plunkett      8-2

Brady     34-11
Bradshaw  14-5
Montana    16-7

I am sure I missed a couple

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: October 04, 2021, 09:22:24 PM »

Starr was the epitome of the "game manager" QB.

A great QB for about 7 years and an NFL legend, but not surprisingly, he was not one of the 10 QBs named to the NFL 100 All-time team.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 09:31:01 PM by bankshot1 »

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: October 04, 2021, 09:24:52 PM »

Starr    9-1
Plunkett      8-2

Brady     34-11
Bradshaw  14-5
Montana    16-7

Otto Graham, 9 and 3.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: October 04, 2021, 09:25:01 PM »

Jeff Hostetler 4-1!
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: October 05, 2021, 03:32:01 AM »

Starr    9-1
Plunkett      8-2

Brady     34-11
Bradshaw  14-5
Montana    16-7

You missed at least three things, Kid.

1) You missed the percentages that you claimed you were posting!

2) Sid Luckman and Trent Dilfer were both 5-1 in the playoffs. Unitas, Theisman, and Mahomes are all 6-2.

3) The thing about all those Playoff records is that they misrepresent the stats.

Starr    9-9
Plunkett      8-9

Brady     34-12
Bradshaw  14-9
Montana    16-8

Giving QBs a pass for not even making it to the playoffs makes no sense. Ooh! Montana went 4 - 0 in SBs!

Yeah, because he lost before he got to the others. No credit for failing to make the playoffs.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 329