Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all of the NFL teams make it through the whole season?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:04:36 PM

Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 329

Author Topic: National Football League  (Read 166507 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: National Football League
« Reply #4290 on: December 01, 2021, 04:46:55 PM »

Reports were that Gettleman was set to take DeVonta Smith at #11 overall in the 2021 draft (Smith went 10th)

Giants traded down, something many pundits said would never happen.  Got a good haul for the 11 and ended up with Toney in round 1

Should Gettleman have stayed at 11 and taken best player available?

Had Smith not been taken by Philly, what then?

In your opinion, did he act in '21 draft like a guy that should be fired?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: December 01, 2021, 04:51:29 PM »

Cap

Yeah - Gettleman reportedly did agonize over ALLEN vs Daniel Jones.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: December 01, 2021, 05:02:11 PM »

You are welcome to join with me and Cap to discuss exactly who Gettleman should have drafted.

If you knew then what you know now, would you still have made Saquon your pick?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: December 01, 2021, 05:50:23 PM »

Reports were that Gettleman was set to take DeVonta Smith at #11 overall in the 2021 draft (Smith went 10th)

Giants traded down, something many pundits said would never happen.  Got a good haul for the 11 and ended up with Toney in round 1

Should Gettleman have stayed at 11 and taken best player available?

Had Smith not been taken by Philly, what then?

In your opinion, did he act in '21 draft like a guy that should be fired?

There was a reason I posted the Ringer article about the Giants. It articulated in a longer form many of the issues facing the Giants, some of which I have articulated in this forum, which has largely drawn only echos in response.

And in facing those issues, IMO Gettleman's body of work as GM has been unimpressive, as the issues still seem present.

In any case, knowing what you know now, would you have picked Saquon with the 2nd pick?

It's a yes or no question.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: December 01, 2021, 10:58:16 PM »

You are welcome to join with me and Cap to discuss exactly who Gettleman should have drafted.

What do I know now?

Simple answer is YES.  The guy was fucking SUPERMAN by any analytic and certainly by production pre injury..

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: December 01, 2021, 11:00:00 PM »

I asked YOU a question - before Josh asked of me.

How do you judge Gettleman's '21?

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: December 02, 2021, 12:41:21 AM »

He picked a bunch who seem disproportionately injury prone. He did a good job picking up pieces let go by other teams, but it is way too early to try to evaluate the value of his draft picks - they looked good on paper, but their year has been pretty disappointing.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: December 02, 2021, 08:57:57 AM »

What do I know now?

Simple answer is YES.  The guy was fucking SUPERMAN by any analytic and certainly by production pre injury..

I think you ignore a lot of facts that have accumulated since Barkley was drafted, but I'm not going to argue against your ignorance.

It is what it is.

But can we agree that Superman was running behind Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen?

LMAO

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: December 02, 2021, 09:01:28 AM »

I answered the question re Gettleman's job performance since he was hired. I don't think he's done a good job.

As for his performance in '21, its too early to assess, get back to me in '23-'24.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: December 02, 2021, 11:12:01 AM »

Week 13

Thursday, Dec. 2, 8:20 PM Cowboys -4.5 NO 47.5    Dallas, 28-21

Sunday, Dec.5, 1:00 PM Vikings -7 Detroit 47
Sunday, Dec.5, 1:00 PM Cardinals -7 Chicago 45.5
Sunday, Dec.5, 1:00 PM Buccaneers -11 Atlanta 50.5
Sunday, Dec.5, 1:00 PM Colts -9.5 Houston 46
Sunday, Dec.5, 1:00 PM Eagles -6 NYJ 45
Sunday, Dec.5, 1:00 PM Cincinnati -3 Chargers 50.5
Sunday, Dec.5, 1:00 PM Miami -3 Giants 41.5

Sunday, Dec.5, 4:05 PM Las Vegas -2.5 WFT 50
Sunday, Dec.5, 4:25 PM Baltimore -3.5 Steelers 44
Sunday, Dec.5, 4:25 PM LA Rams -13 Jaguars 48
Sunday, Dec.5, 4:25 PM 49ers -3.5 Seattle 45.5
Sunday, Dec.5, 8:20 PM Kansas City -10 Broncos 47.5

Monday, Dec.6, 8:15 PM Buffalo -2.5 Patriots

Like last week, will fill sheet pre games beginning.  Decent 4 week run going, off an 8-7.  Still no 10-win (v spread) week.  Games are tough.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4300 on: December 02, 2021, 11:15:21 AM »

I think you ignore a lot of facts that have accumulated since Barkley was drafted, but I'm not going to argue against your ignorance.

Judging the wisdom of a pick at the time with current results is your style, not mine.  Like I said - Barkley was Superman by metrics and by production.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4301 on: December 02, 2021, 11:20:09 AM »

Would you have taken Tomlinson, Peterson or Lynch?  How about Elliott?  McCaffrey?  Fournette?  First round running backs since 2000, rated:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-every-nfl-running-back-drafted-in-round-1-since-2000-ladainian-tomlinson-leads-the-list/

(Saquon is 31)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: December 02, 2021, 11:30:10 AM »

Giants add Jake Fromm

Hope he gets a look if Glennon struggles Sunday.  Much to ask but season in the balance.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: December 02, 2021, 11:43:04 AM »

Judging the wisdom of a pick at the time with current results is your style, not mine.  Like I said - Barkley was Superman by metrics and by production.

LMAO

I argued against the Barkely pick pre-draft and suggested one of two paths, either pick a franchise QB with the #2 pick, or trade down for a basket of picks.

And in the Ringer article the author basically wrote the Gettleman legacy may be that Barkley may be the last rb selected that high in the NFL draft, as the pick was a huge waste of an asset and that is abundantly clear.

Lastly I asked you knowing what you know now, and that included the G-Men's strengths and weaknesses, ie a questionable QB, a weak o-line, basically flounderinng for the Gettleman era, whether you would repeat Gettleman's folly of selecting Barkely with the #2 pick.

Picking a running back when you have no O-line?

Best way to kill a rb.

Which is what happened.

And apparently you are all in for repeating the wastefulness of that asset.

TFF
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 11:45:26 AM by bankshot1 »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: December 02, 2021, 12:07:32 PM »

I argued against the Barkely pick pre-draft and suggested one of two paths, either pick a franchise QB with the #2 pick, or trade down for a basket of picks.

What you dont get is that I dont discount this.  I know you and many others were off of drafting Saquon.

Your way - taking Darnold (hello, Mike Francessa) wasnt necessarily a path to greatness.  Nobody wanted Allen so dont bring him up.  Just as many wanted Rosen as Darnold.  I actually posted at the time my like for L Jackson - though Barkley was my choice.

Overall - kill Gettleman for not hiring Matt Ruhle (my choice) and for hiring Jason Garrett as OC.  I am fine with all of that - and draftees over the years you could quibble ith (as I did with not taking the stud Simmons). 

But I like Judge - and I like the QB.  Not a Hall of Famer at pick #8?  Cry me a river.  I gave you his passing stats for a team down receivers all year.  They speak for themselves even before accounting for his rushing skills.

Again, I ask - you said no to Barkley - show me the better path - picks in 2018 and forward starting with Darnold.  Lets hear the names.

And do not say trade down and take Allen or trade down and take Jackson - you werent on that.  TRADE DOWN?  Cool - lets hear it.
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 329