Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 257530 times)

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #1155 on: November 21, 2018, 12:31:46 PM »

Anyway, time for my annual morph into a 75 year old man, sitting in a rocker on my front porch, waving my cane in the air while railing against the sins of modernity.

I.used to love the last week of college football, when there was only the ABC broadcast. Michigan - Ohio State at noon, Oklahoma - Nebraska at 3:30, USC - UCLA in the Rose Bowl at night. What.a.great.day, all day with my dad watching football, roaring fire in the living room, great rivalries, great games. It felt communal, like.every college football fan was in the room with me, watching along. Woah Nellie, was that a.day.

Now? USC and UCLA played last week, Nebraska and Oklahoma never play each other any more, and I will have about 8 games to chose from to compete with The Game. It is just not the same. Something indefinable has been lost. And it is not even the last.week anymore; instead of proving your worth through the grind of the season, we get to see the Fighting Nerds get stomped by ClemSIN between Dr. Pepper ads. Now, get off my lawn!

Good stuff. Reminds me of why I still like you.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: November 21, 2018, 12:48:02 PM »

As bad as OSU seems, I keep remembering, as they always do, they seem to do find a way to win. They are after all still 10-1. But I think they're winning on pure talent. I know that sounds like it doesn't make any sense. But yet, it does.

What I mean by that is they seem lacking, to me, simply in player leadership. They need leaders to step up and I'm just not seeing it. The young QB has talent but I see him get rattled in lots of critical situations. Same with the OL and the entire defense. Did losing Bosa leave them without a guy to look to when things get crazy? Maybe that's it I keep telling myself.

Physical talent alone doesn't make a leader.
They seem unorganized, unfocused and lacking in communication,  which results in all the Big plays. That is coaching. Between the controversy, his suspension, his health, and stress, Meyer seems not to be the same same coach he was. I wonder if it is time for him to pick up that ESPN gig again.

I think the coaching thing is part of it. But in this modern day of signal upon signal you also need those guys on the field that can make sure everyone is on the same page and do it in 2 seconds.(That's the game right there)

For instance Bama showed a little chink in the armor stuff last year when some of their key defensive communication guys got injured and they lost all those communicating ILB's of theirs. At one point they had a safety trying to communicate to the front guys what their assignments were. That's usually one of the inside LBs job and you could see some serious mixups in that game. Finally in that game as part of the solution I saw the Sabanites switch their secondary coverage running a lot more straight man to free that guy up to press up closer to the line. Although you also saw him backpeddling his ass off several times after screaming out the set. It's been my observance that in their normal environment the Sabanites like to play man-free and combo man more than anything. They try and push everything to the inside whenever possible. This is why IMO they can be had on deep outside iso routes more than teams try to do. I suspect since usually the other teams QB is generally running for his life they just don't have time to run that shit. It's a wonder how pressure will make secondaries look good. :-)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 12:49:35 PM by CaptainCargo »

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: November 23, 2018, 10:04:46 AM »

Res ipsa loquitor.

In Vino Veritas

..and therein lies the extent of my Latin repertoire...and that's the truth!
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: November 23, 2018, 10:12:35 AM »

why is Alabama playing someone like the Citadel at this point in the season?

The entire SEC has collectively opted for a second bye week late in the season before they face their rivalry game.  Every other conference cries foul and the SEC says, no, we're "smart" for doing it--it is not against the rules.  Cheaters and thieves always think they are smart or more clever also since they can get the same or better results with less work.  But until another conference pounds the SEC in OOC, there isn't a lot they can "say" that will be effective.  And therein lies the truth.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 10:14:12 AM by TrojanHorse »
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: November 23, 2018, 10:34:06 AM »

It's amazing how more frequently I agree with ESPN3 than I do with RedStateWard.

People are multi layered.  Part of the problem with modern political thinking is the concept that if someone disagrees with our political beliefs -- it makes them stupid and a horrible person.  There are horrible and stupid people on both sides of the political spectrum...just as there are also kind and intelligent  people on both sides. 

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: November 23, 2018, 10:53:17 AM »

I used to love the last week of college football, when there was only the ABC broadcast.

It's been at least 20 years or so since the "rivalry game" day was bifurcated into two weekends.  That's when I first noticed it anyway. And I wondered whether it was always that way and maybe I just assumed it had changed. USC Notre Dame has always alternated --Notre Dame comes out here late in the season -often on Thanksgiving weekend and we go out there early in the season.  They want to escape the snow and we want no part of it.   We often then played UCLA on the first weekend of December...when I noticed Cal _Stanford and other rivalry games had been played the prior weekend

Conference realignment, the rise of conference championship games and creating a special week for Army-Navy definitely changed things even more though. 

I don't like the kids playing on my lawn either.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: November 23, 2018, 11:54:20 AM »

It's amazing how more frequently I agree with ESPN3 than I do with RedStateWard.

People are multi layered.  Part of the problem with modern political thinking is the concept that if someone disagrees with our political beliefs -- it makes them stupid and a horrible person.  There are horrible and stupid people on both sides of the political spectrum...just as there are also kind and intelligent  people on both sides.

Well said.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: November 23, 2018, 10:20:46 PM »

Terrible injury, really feel bad for the Kid.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: November 24, 2018, 11:52:12 AM »

Bama using a couple of helicopters to dry the field.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: November 24, 2018, 12:00:52 PM »

Awww, poor Bama afwaid of getting wet? Man up pussies.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: November 24, 2018, 12:07:27 PM »

I know they are not popular here, but s shot Ohio is one of the all time great college football traditions. jbot's boys rubbing their rocks on the way into the stadium is another.

Go Cocks. Go Buckeyes. War Eagle! Hold them back Trojans! Come on Rambling Wreck! Let's have some.Fucking Anarchy!
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

jbottle

• View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: November 24, 2018, 01:20:07 PM »

Ha!!

Bucknut exits wet paper bag in first half, what gives??

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: November 24, 2018, 01:22:58 PM »

Awww, poor Bama afwaid of getting wet? Man up pussies.

Don't be a hater just because they're smart. 

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: November 24, 2018, 01:25:31 PM »

And that's how you get yards on a speedy defense. Cut back on the over pursuit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: November 24, 2018, 01:27:49 PM »

Busted assignment.

I said I wasn't going to put any money on Michigan. Right that's looking like a smart move on my part.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 329