Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 258556 times)

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #1365 on: December 03, 2018, 12:53:54 AM »

Unless you actually believe a recruit would say, "Well.....that Peach Bowl...nope, I just cannot sign to play for Michigan."

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: December 03, 2018, 07:26:04 AM »

And allow me to be the first to congratulate Florida on their Peach Bowl win.

The playoff format has rendered that game and others meaningless.

But have at it.
If anything, the significance of the Peach Bowl has increased by its elevation in status. But generally, bowls retain the same level of significance in the playoff era as that always had.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: December 03, 2018, 11:51:41 AM »

Yahoo College Football  Bowl Pick 'em.

League Name: Escape From Elba

Password: GoMSU#1

In order for cap to keep his pledge lifelong fealty to God's Conference, sworn on Billy Cannon's jock and reaffirmed over the cold corpse of Mike Silve, he is free to read the password as a reference to Mississippi State.

Almost let that typo stay, but Rice is not in a bowl and i did not want to make you feel you were limited to only the Walk-On Independence Bowl.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 11:56:06 AM by whiskeypriest »

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: December 03, 2018, 11:52:36 AM »

I mean don't blame me for seeing reality. The Committee thought the three teams had no significant differences. Had they ranked Georgia lower than OSU the whole thing would have been cut and dried.

But.

The fact that they didn't means there is a real possibility that had there been no CG technicality rule Georgia might be in the football four.
Well, no.  Georgia was dropped as a 2 loss non-champion.  Disqualified from consideration by rule.  Please make note of this(again) in case it comes up again.  Had Oklahoma had two losses Georgia would have lost out to one-loss Big Ten Champ Ohio State.

Enjoy the Citrus Bowl. Orlando is a lot of fun.

By a rule becomes arbitrary by default because of a grading process that is impossible to quantify with an exact set of parameters. I know this is a lesson in higher logic that you may simply be incapable of understanding so I won't hold it against you. That allows the Committee the leeway to say the teams are basically equal rather than doing their job and simply rating them. A rule that was put in place to keep the conferences from revolting as someone else had mentioned earlier. I understand you don't see the subtleties of their grading process. It's as bad as the rules on congress in some regards. Built to protect the established powers that be. Please try and understand this for the first time.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 12:08:55 PM by CaptainCargo »
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: December 03, 2018, 11:58:55 AM »

The Michigan defense will be without a lot of key players from what I hear. A trend I'm finding both distasteful yet understandable. Any of the Spartans sitting the game out?

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: December 03, 2018, 12:02:29 PM »

I mean don't blame me for seeing reality. The Committee thought the three teams had no significant differences. Had they ranked Georgia lower than OSU the whole thing would have been cut and dried.

But.

The fact that they didn't means there is a real possibility that had there been no CG technicality rule Georgia might be in the football four. This is simple 101 logic. Why this makes everyone crazy I can only assume is because I said it. Had the thought been broached by YG or Rich I don't believe there would be such a ruckus over it.

But then I am the Reggie Jackson of the forum I suppose. The straw that stirs the drink. What would you guys do without me. ;-)

I’m the guy who takes the straw out of the drink, shakes the fucking drink stirrer and drinks the fucking drink of this forum, Reggie...

Remember I said that, you don’t tune in for Archie and Edith cutting it up, bitches, you run the dial for Meathead...

For the clever sh!t...otherwise this is the Punch and Judy show with a couple of tosu marionettes, troj, and a regional bigot...

You are dismissed.

I commend you for your chutzpah Billy errr JB have another.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: December 03, 2018, 12:06:05 PM »

The playoff format has rendered that game and others meaningless.

But have at it.

I watch football to be entertained and that means something to me. Why do you watch it?

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: December 03, 2018, 12:08:14 PM »

The Committee thought the three teams had no significant differences.

What I derived from their comment was that they did not see much difference between Georgia and Oklahoma. Therefore they went to the guidance of conference champions and put Oklahoma above Georgia. 

Apparently, OSU was not in that "cluster" for discussion purposes--meaning they did not see them as being  as good as the other two.  Otherwise, as conference champion, they would also have been ranked above Georgia.
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: December 03, 2018, 12:08:36 PM »

Yahoo College Football  Bowl Pick 'em.

League Name: Escape From Elba

Password: GoMSU#1

In order for cap to keep his pledge lifelong fealty to God's Conference, sworn on Billy Cannon's jock and reaffirmed over the cold corpse of Mike Silve, he is free to read the password as a reference to Mississippi State.

Almost let that typo stay, but Rice is not in a bowl and i did not want to make you feel you were limited to only the Walk-On Independence Bowl.

And here I expected the password to be Reggie.

Sidenote: I would have liked to see both MSU's face each other in a bowl game.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 12:34:00 PM by CaptainCargo »

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: December 03, 2018, 12:16:28 PM »

What I derived from their comment was that they did not see much difference between Georgia and Oklahoma. Therefore they went to the guidance of conference champions and put Oklahoma above Georgia. 

Apparently, OSU was not in that "cluster" for discussion purposes--meaning they did not see them as being  as good as the other two.  Otherwise, as conference champion, they would also have been ranked above Georgia.

This is what I read from Mullens:

In the end, what we decided was amongst the group of three, Oklahoma, Georgia and (12-1) Ohio State, that no one was unequivocally better than the others. So we leaned on the protocol.
(That protocol  says that when teams are that close, certain factors should take precedence, the most notable of those being “conference champions.)

The three were apparently in a dead three way heat. And so using their out rule Georgia was out no matter which they chose to be 4th Oklahoma or OSU. What is interesting is that "after" that Georgia was somehow deemed better than OSU. So apparently they weren't as 'tied' as was indicated. As to the Conference Champion rule I believe that only applies to the top 4. But I could be wrong on that. Logically if it were still in place OSU would have been placed ahead of Georgia for the same reason Oklahoma was placed ahead of Georgia.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 01:07:15 PM by CaptainCargo »

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: December 03, 2018, 12:35:03 PM »

In the end, what we decided was amongst the group of three, Oklahoma, Georgia and (12-1) Ohio State, that no one was unequivocally better than the others. So we leaned on the protocol.
(That protocol  says that when teams are that close, certain factors should take precedence, the most notable of those being “conference champions.)

Three were apparently in a dead three way heat. And so using their out rule Georgia was out no matter which they chose to be 4th. What is interesting in that "after" that Georgia was somehow deemed better than OSU. So apparently they weren't as 'tied' as was indicated. As to the Conference Champion rule I believe that only applies to the top 4. But I could be wrong on that.
I wonder what in their protocol elevated Oklahoma over tOSU. They value wins over losses; tOSU having both the worse loss and two best wins (PSU and Meats both ranking better than anyone OK played.). Did the slightly, though real, difference in the TCU game mean that much? My own thought was the tOSU was hurt as much. Y the Nebraska and Maryland wins as the loss. That 4 game stretch of not looking great may have confirmed the views formed in light of.Purdue.

At any rate, I read Mullens's statement as you did. Had the Committee thought tOSU better than Oklahoma, tOSU 2ould have been fourth. Having twice elevated a one loss non champ over a two loss champ it would have been hard to justify a two loss non champ over a o e loss champ in the playoffs.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: December 03, 2018, 12:59:43 PM »

Three were apparently in a dead three way heat. And so using their out rule Georgia was out no matter which they chose to be 4th. What is interesting in that "after" that Georgia was somehow deemed better than OSU. So apparently they weren't as 'tied' as was indicated. As to the Conference Champion rule I believe that only applies to the top 4. But I could be wrong on that.
I wonder what in their protocol elevated Oklahoma over tOSU. They value wins over losses; tOSU having both the worse loss and two best wins (PSU and Meats both ranking better than anyone OK played.). Did the slightly, though real, difference in the TCU game mean that much? My own thought was the tOSU was hurt as much. Y the Nebraska and Maryland wins as the loss. That 4 game stretch of not looking great may have confirmed the views formed in light of.Purdue.

At any rate, I read Mullens's statement as you did. Had the Committee thought tOSU better than Oklahoma, tOSU 2ould have been fourth. Having twice elevated a one loss non champ over a two loss champ it would have been hard to justify a two loss non champ over a o e loss champ in the playoffs.

Good thoughts. If might be as simple as the non-Quality wins you mention over Nebraska and Maryland. That and I think the Sooners got a little bit of a pass on the their terrible defense by the Committee but they gave no such pass to the Buckeyes for their weakish(for lack of a better term) defense. Either way it was close between all three. And IMO the, gee shit they're close what do we do Sheriff Ricochet? , rule comes to their rescue.

We'll have to wait and see how the Tide/Sooner game plays out to put the final chapter to the narrative. That and how Georgia does in their bowl game.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 01:10:54 PM by CaptainCargo »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: December 03, 2018, 01:00:53 PM »

I also wonder if "close wins against terrible teams" factors in. If Maryland's QB had better footwork he would have completed the two-point conversion against OSU.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: December 03, 2018, 01:01:52 PM »

I essentially just asked what Capn' posted. Slow computer.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: December 03, 2018, 01:12:00 PM »

I essentially just asked what Capn' posted. Slow computer.

Actually Steve said it first. But it's as good as a reason as any I guess.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 329