Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 255178 times)

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #1455 on: December 07, 2018, 02:38:32 PM »

Jim Delany says College Football Playoff doesn't define Big Ten:

Big 10 teams sticking with nine league games.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25460556/big-ten-commissioner-jim-delany-there-no-plans-reduce-number-league-games-nine-eight

I'd have to agree with their decision. With 6 teams not above .500 there really isn't any need to schedule weaker teams. They already have them. And it's an easier way for them to keep all of the money for that game in the Big Ten.
If they played 8 conference games like God's Conference they would have more teams over .500.

Technically you're right. One more.

The rest would need more than one win to get above .500
Your math is off.

I stand corrected. The Fightin Gophers would have a shot too. And my math was off on the number of teams the Big 10 has that isn't over .500. I said six but it is actually 7. That's HALF the conference. Which emphasizes my point even more that the Big Ten already has enough weak teams already without the need to try and go find more to play. So, they of course could prefer to keep the money in the conference without a major amount of fear that the outcome would be much different than the alternative. So as I inferred insidiously crafty smart on their part.

But to get back to your assertion that the Big Ten would have more teams. Purdue lost to Eastern Michigan. So there is no guarantee that they or Minny would have won their extra cupcake game.

So I would agree to an amendment of your statement to read, "If they played 8 conference games like God's Conference they would might have more teams over .500.

Fair enough?
Yep. 2018 was a down year for the West. If Nietzsche is right, 2018 will be a down year for the West when it recurs.
Dropping a cupcake FCS game and replacing it with a league opponent costs the home team more in a payout.

Conference James,  C O N F E R E N C E.

Not team.

The conference as a whole would lose that money. Otherwise it stays in house so to speak.

So the conference in playing nine conference games can somehow claim the high ground, or get some sort of credit, in claiming they played a tougher schedule without losing a friggin dime in doing so. Brilliant I admit. In a twisted self serving way.

But brilliant nonetheless, because there are a lot of soft heads out there that would actually believe that bullshit.
If Jimm is right, and though you will not admit it, he usually is when it comes to the money in sports, each team gets more money for the cupcake game, even with the buy out. How is the conference out money if each individual team makes more? More games the network to televise and sell ads for, too.

First TV contracts are already set. Something James made a painful point to make clear a while back.

But that is not what I'm saying. I'm not sure why this isn't sinking in.

If any other team besides a Big Ten team gets the money it is going to someone else. Not a Big Ten school.

Alabama will PAY a team 1.9 million dollars to come and play. The TV money is not the issue. It's "who" gets it. That 1.9 mil will effectively leave the SEC and go to another conference's team. Had it been a conference matchup of two SEC teams the money stays in conference.

Apparently I just can't get the point across. Maybe someone else can explain it better.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: December 07, 2018, 03:37:55 PM »

But to get back to your assertion that the Big Ten would have more teams. Purdue lost to Eastern Michigan. So there is no guarantee that they or Minny would have won their extra cupcake game.

Dropping a cupcake FCS game and replacing it with a league opponent costs the home team more in a payout.

Not team.

The conference as a whole would lose that money. Otherwise it stays in house so to speak.

So the conference in playing nine conference games can somehow claim the high ground, or get some sort of credit, in claiming they played a tougher schedule without losing a friggin dime in doing so. Brilliant I admit. In a twisted self serving way.

If any other team besides a Big Ten team gets the money it is going to someone else. Not a Big Ten school.

Alabama will PAY a team 1.9 million dollars to come and play. The TV money is not the issue. It's "who" gets it. That 1.9 mil will effectively leave the SEC and go to another conference's team. Had it been a conference matchup of two SEC teams the money stays in conference.

That has nothing to do with my original point.
If Ohio State replaces an FCS team with a Conference Game it loses some revenue for that game.
It should be pointed that the Big Ten, unlike any other Conference, shares gate receipts with Conference schools based on a formula. This often results is some teams losing revenue.
If the 9 game schedule was reduced to 8 then there would be less revenue sharing and, most notably, schools scheduling FCS teams would take home a much larger amount from gate receipts.
That’s all.
Obviously the difference in dollars is outweighed by factors the Big Ten feels are more important to the long range goals of the Conference including presenting more attractive games for its ticket buyers, better competition for the players, its strength if schedule when vying for post season play, among others.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 03:41:41 PM by Espnthree »

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: December 07, 2018, 04:04:49 PM »

Not team.

That has nothing to do with my original point.
If Ohio State replaces an FCS team with a Conference Game it loses some revenue for that game.
It should be pointed that the Big Ten, unlike any other Conference, shares gate receipts with Conference schools based on a formula. This often results is some teams losing revenue.
If the 9 game schedule was reduced to 8 then there would be less revenue sharing and, most notably, schools scheduling FCS teams would take home a much larger amount from gate receipts.
That’s all.
Obviously the difference in dollars is outweighed by factors the Big Ten feels are more important to the long range goals of the Conference including presenting more attractive games for its ticket buyers, better competition for the players, its strength if schedule when vying for post season play, among others.

Actually it was my point as I brought the whole thing up. Which was the Big Ten conference not individual teams within the conference. So it has everything to do with what I was saying. It has nothing to do with revenue sharing and everything to do with paying other schools to come and play you. The total money is finite. Where it goes was and is the original point. That you went off on some sort of tangent because you didn't understand what was said is exactly that.

Have a nice day.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: December 07, 2018, 04:39:03 PM »

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25460556/big-ten-commissioner-jim-delany-there-no-plans-reduce-number-league-games-nine-eight

I'd have to agree with their decision. With 6 teams not above .500 there really isn't any need to schedule weaker teams. They already have them. And it's an easier way for them to keep all of the money for that game in the Big Ten.
If they played 8 conference games like God's Conference they would have more teams over .500.
And the league schools would make more money.

And the Conference would lose money if they had to give it to other schools for an OOC game.
uh, no.

I see, so the OOC opponents play Big Ten teams in Big Ten Stadiums for free? Awfully sporting of them.

The stupid SEC pays their OOC teams to come and play. Bama for instance paying Citadel, I believe, $500,000.00 to play.

Additionally the Crimson Tide will pay a combined $6.71 million for a quartet of home nonconference games scheduled between 2021-2029 after agreeing to host Southern Miss, Utah State and Western Kentucky for an average of $1.9 million between 2021-2023.

But you say the Big Ten OOC opponents get to come to a Big Ten school play a football game for free? And then are free to take their dirty jocks and get the fuck out of Dodge. Neat.

Neat.
That was your reaction to my original statement.
Which was rather odd.
The FCS teams certainly don’t play for free, but they do play for  less than conference teams.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: December 07, 2018, 05:05:27 PM »

And the league schools would make more money.

And the Conference would lose money if they had to give it to other schools for an OOC game.
uh, no.

I see, so the OOC opponents play Big Ten teams in Big Ten Stadiums for free? Awfully sporting of them.

The stupid SEC pays their OOC teams to come and play. Bama for instance paying Citadel, I believe, $500,000.00 to play.

Additionally the Crimson Tide will pay a combined $6.71 million for a quartet of home nonconference games scheduled between 2021-2029 after agreeing to host Southern Miss, Utah State and Western Kentucky for an average of $1.9 million between 2021-2023.

But you say the Big Ten OOC opponents get to come to a Big Ten school play a football game for free? And then are free to take their dirty jocks and get the fuck out of Dodge. Neat.

Neat.
That was your reaction to my original statement.
Which was rather odd.
The FCS teams certainly don’t play for free, but they do play for  less than conference teams.

It is odd in that the original post of the thread talked about the Big Ten 'conference'. But you wanted to change that to individual schools rather than keep it apples to apples. You've done this sort of thing many times before, nothing odd about that.

Again, have a nice day.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: December 07, 2018, 05:16:48 PM »

Your math is off.

I stand corrected. The Fightin Gophers would have a shot too. And my math was off on the number of teams the Big 10 has that isn't over .500. I said six but it is actually 7. That's HALF the conference. Which emphasizes my point even more that the Big Ten already has enough weak teams already without the need to try and go find more to play. So, they of course could prefer to keep the money in the conference without a major amount of fear that the outcome would be much different than the alternative. So as I inferred insidiously crafty smart on their part.

So I would agree to an amendment of your statement to read, "If they played 8 conference games like God's Conference they would might have more teams over .500.

Fair enough?
Yep. 2018 was a down year for the West. If Nietzsche is right, 2018 will be a down year for the West when it recurs.

Not team.

But brilliant nonetheless, because there are a lot of soft heads out there that would actually believe that bullshit.
If Jimm is right, and though you will not admit it, he usually is when it comes to the money in sports, each team gets more money for the cupcake game, even with the buy out. How is the conference out money if each individual team makes more? More games the network to televise and sell ads for, too.

First TV contracts are already set. Something James made a painful point to make clear a while back.

Apparently I just can't get the point across. Maybe someone else can explain it better.
Cap,.you are failing to account for the fact that it is 14 games out of conference, but only 7 in conference. As long as the team keeps more than half the revenue, the conference is ahead.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: December 07, 2018, 05:33:30 PM »

Your math is off.

Fair enough?

Not team.

Cap,.you are failing to account for the fact that it is 14 games out of conference, but only 7 in conference. As long as the team keeps more than half the revenue, the conference is ahead.

Okay. But that wasn't the point. It was a fairly simple cut and dried, simple to understand, point. But hey, why beat it into the ground. Keep all money, give some money to someone not of our tribe.

I give up. :-)  You win.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: December 08, 2018, 11:19:10 AM »

Happy Army-Navy Day

One of my favorite days in college football.

I see the Cadets are a 7 pt favorite over a struggling Navy team, and the first time they've been a favorite since 2001

I grew up in a "Navy" home, dad served on a destroyer escort in WW2 patrolling the North Atlantic '42-45, and blew up a couple of German subs.

He was on his way to Hawaii and then Japan when the war ended in '45.

I learned "Anchors away" at an early age.

Truth be told I was sort of pulling for "close" games the last few years, as the rivalry had gotten a little one-sided, and our Army shouldn't be getting their ass kicked every year.

And things sort of evened out the last couple of years.

Middies might see some payback today.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: December 08, 2018, 12:04:14 PM »

Happy Army-Navy Day

One of my favorite days in college football.

I see the Cadets are a 7 pt favorite over a struggling Navy team, and the first time they've been a favorite since 2001

I grew up in a "Navy" home, dad served on a destroyer escort in WW2 patrolling the North Atlantic '42-45, and blew up a couple of German subs.

He was on his way to Hawaii and then Japan when the war ended in '45.

I learned "Anchors away" at an early age.

Truth be told I was sort of pulling for "close" games the last few years, as the rivalry had gotten a little one-sided, and our Army shouldn't be getting their ass kicked every year.

And things sort of evened out the last couple of years.

Middies might see some payback today.

Good luck to your Middies Rich. I fear their will be high seas ahead for them.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: December 08, 2018, 12:09:30 PM »

Hopkins with a nice punt pins Union deep.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: December 08, 2018, 12:15:02 PM »

All too easy. I think it's going to be a long day for the Hopkins defense.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: December 08, 2018, 01:29:34 PM »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: December 08, 2018, 01:38:34 PM »

Yep.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: December 08, 2018, 01:39:18 PM »

Hopkins keeping it close with defensive plays. Union in a ballgame even though they are smothering the Johnnies offense.

Defense baby!
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 329