Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 257059 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #2580 on: September 22, 2019, 12:00:28 PM »

Bad week for picking 8-10 vs spread. 6-5 straight up.

We both struggled, but I'll take the weekly W

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: September 22, 2019, 02:28:16 PM »

Interesting pre-game Friday at the USC/Utah game at the LA Coliseum.

The Fox crew led by Reggie Bush and Urban Meyer were hailed by the early arrivals.
Everything relating to Bush has been purged from USC down to his uniform number, which no longer is displayed at the stadium. But the crowd still shouted REGGIE as if his NCAA violations never occurred.
Then they switched to HIRE URBAN as Meyer tried to pretend studying his notes.
One fan shouted " pay him anything he wants!".
Well Clay Helton's Trjans won a thrilling game so the " most fired" label is off the table for a while.
But the half-empty stadium for the game underscored a bigger problem in luring a big name coach if the season disappoints. 
Money.
The Pac12 is dead last among power five conferences in TV money.The B1G doles out $54 million per team
while the PAC12, without a partnered TV network and sagging attendance,  to lag in revenue at $29.5 million.

The financial pain is severe in recruiting budgets, salaries, and staffing.  Alabama has 12 football analysts to augment its coaching staff, Oregon, even with Phil Knight's bank account, has six. Now the major powers are much more aggressive in recruiting California high school players.
So it will be difficult to lure a big name coach like Meyer if  success, under strained finances, is limited to beating Pac12 teams and watching the playoffs on TV as the league has done since 2016 for four straight years.]

« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 02:32:27 PM by Espnthree »

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: September 22, 2019, 04:22:02 PM »

I have always argued that with just four teams the playoffs should be Conference Champs only. the Pennsylvania State over THE three years ago, THE over Bama two years ago, THE over Our Lady of the Perpetual tie last year. Join a Conference or enjoy your bowl game.
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and distribution was made to each as any had need.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: September 22, 2019, 06:42:28 PM »

Non Conference Records
Against FBS competition.

B1G
Overall: 27-7 (79.4%) million f
Vs. FBS: 24-7 (77.4%)
Vs. P-5: 5-4 (55.6%)
Vs. Ranked Teams: 0-1 (0%)
Notable Results: Iowa 18, Iowa State | Stanford 17, Northwestern 7 | Penn State 17, Pittsburgh 10

Big 12
Overall: 22-5 (81.5%)
Vs. FBS: 13-5 (72.2%)
Vs. P-5: 6-4 (60%)
Vs. Ranked Teams: 0-2 (0%)
Notable Results: Iowa 18, Iowa State 17 | LSU 45, Texas 38 | West Virginia 44, NC State 27

SEC
Overall: 23-8 (74.2%)
Vs. FBS: 15-8 (63.2%)
Vs. P-5: 4-5 (44.4%)
Vs. Ranked Teams: 2-1 (66.7%)
Notable Results: LSU 45, Texas 38 | Auburn 27, Oregon 21 | Clemson 24, Texas A&M 10

PAC12

Overall: 22-10 (68.8%)
Vs. FBS: 14-10 (58.3%)
Vs. P-5: 5-4 (55.6%)
Vs. Ranked Teams: 2-2 (50%)
Notable Results: Auburn 27, Oregon 21 | Arizona State 10, Michigan State 7 | Colorado 34, Nebraska 31

b]ACC[/b]
Overall: 20-10 (66.7%)
Vs. FBS: 12-9 (57.1%)
Vs. P-5: 3-8 (27.3%)
Vs. Ranked Teams: 1-4 (20%)
Notable Results: Clemson 24, Texas A&M 10 | Maryland 63, Syracuse 20 | Penn State 17, Pittsburgh 10

AAC

Overall: 21-10 (67.7%)
Vs. FBS: 12-10 (54.5%)
Vs. P-5: 4-10 (28.6%)
Vs. Ranked Teams: 1-6 (14.3%)
Notable Results: UCF 45, Stanford 27 | Ohio State 42, Cincinnati 0 | Oklahoma 49, Houston 31 | Temple 20, Maryland 17

Stats compiled by 24/7

« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 06:46:18 PM by Espnthree »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: September 22, 2019, 06:52:40 PM »

Good work there - thanks

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: September 22, 2019, 07:16:48 PM »

I wonder what the record for most touchdowns thrown in a loss is.

9 is a pretty safe bet
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: September 22, 2019, 09:22:05 PM »

Interesting pre-game Friday at the USC/Utah game at the LA Coliseum.

The Fox crew led by Reggie Bush and Urban Meyer were hailed by the early arrivals.
Everything relating to Bush has been purged from USC down to his uniform number, which no longer is displayed at the stadium. But the crowd still shouted REGGIE as if his NCAA violations never occurred.
Then they switched to HIRE URBAN as Meyer tried to pretend studying his notes.
One fan shouted " pay him anything he wants!".
Well Clay Helton's Trjans won a thrilling game so the " most fired" label is off the table for a while.
But the half-empty stadium for the game underscored a bigger problem in luring a big name coach if the season disappoints. 
Money.
The Pac12 is dead last among power five conferences in TV money.The B1G doles out $54 million per team
while the PAC12, without a partnered TV network and sagging attendance,  to lag in revenue at $29.5 million.

The financial pain is severe in recruiting budgets, salaries, and staffing.  Alabama has 12 football analysts to augment its coaching staff, Oregon, even with Phil Knight's bank account, has six. Now the major powers are much more aggressive in recruiting California high school players.
So it will be difficult to lure a big name coach like Meyer if  success, under strained finances, is limited to beating Pac12 teams and watching the playoffs on TV as the league has done since 2016 for four straight years.]

That's why California passes their pay the players legislation. If you can't recruit them. Simply buy them.

What used to be the old fashioned way will now simply be legal in Cali. Well, if they have their way that is.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 09:30:13 PM by CaptainCargo »
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: September 23, 2019, 09:41:13 AM »

I have always argued that with just four teams the playoffs should be Conference Champs only. the Pennsylvania State over THE three years ago, THE over Bama two years ago, THE over Our Lady of the Perpetual tie last year. Join a Conference or enjoy your bowl game.

And I've always argued that that argument is sheer folly. "If" your desired outcome is to have the four best teams in the Playoff.

"If" your desired outcome is to create a 'league' comprised of the five 'Power Five' conferences then it is a good argument. Slam dunk in fact. ;-)

No, IMO the reason the CFP came into existence was to get that ever elusive 'assurance' that the best teams get into the playoffs. Under the sheer folly argument the eventual winner two years ago doesn't even get in. An event that is totally counterintuitive to the reason why the CPF exists.

What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: September 23, 2019, 10:31:24 AM »

The absence of meaningful interconference competition makes that judgment subjective. Want into the playoffs? Beat Auburn. Beat Penn State. Three years ago, no one said, you know, PSU beating THE was a fluke and they had only one loss to PSU's 2 and so their overall resumes are not comparable. Let's have a Committee put them in the Big Whatev championship game! Prove your merit on the field by winning the games that matter most.
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and distribution was made to each as any had need.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: September 23, 2019, 12:01:30 PM »

An addendum to my previous post about Non-Conference play which included the B1G, Big12,SEC, ACC, the PAC 12 and the AAC.
The conference with the most wins against Power 5 teams is the Mountain West.
Its teams have won seven games this season against Power 5 opponents. Hawaii beat Arizona in Week 0 and then beat Oregon State in Week 2. The Rainbow Warriors’ Pac-12 title dreams didn’t get crushed until last week when they fell 52-20 at Washington. Nevada dispatched Purdue with a 56-yard field goal by a freshman walk-on as time expired on Friday of Week 1. Boise State beat Florida State the next afternoon. Wyoming beat Missouri later that day. San Diego State beat UCLA in Week 2. Air Force beat Colorado last week.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 12:04:03 PM by Espnthree »

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: September 23, 2019, 12:50:42 PM »

Hairy is right about inter-conference scheduling.

...and...I think I just felt a disturbance in the space time continuum
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: September 23, 2019, 02:10:40 PM »

Hairy is right about inter-conference scheduling.

...and...I think I just felt a disturbance in the space time continuum
I am still processing that comment.

Meanwhile, though I don't think he is a candidate for "Most Fired", could Harbaugh be on the "Most "Resigned"" list by year end?

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: September 23, 2019, 02:11:27 PM »

And would Methchicken have an interest in hiring Urban Meyer?

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: September 23, 2019, 02:34:05 PM »

Makes more sense than Southern Cal.
But blood is thicker than water.
And Meyer’s is so Scarlet he would never entertain that choice.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: September 23, 2019, 02:47:17 PM »

Makes more sense than Southern Cal.
But blood is thicker than water.
And Meyer’s is so Scarlet he would never entertain that choice.
That comment was solely to elicit the last part of the one above yours.
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 329