Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 247272 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #3585 on: January 21, 2020, 11:40:09 AM »

11.          University of California*

In all honesty, this is a place holder.  I expect someone from the Pure Prairie League or the PAWCP, or a fourth God’s Conference team, to go a strong 9 – 3.  Just not sure who.  Almost went with Okie State, or Florida.  I had Texas here, before I slapped myself upside the head.  They are not back until they are back.  Assuming they’ve settled on the North Scottsdale Flash at quarterback, they should have a good offense.  It is a tough schedule, though.  Ah, well, a shout out to trojen.

* Southern

10.          Louisiana State

Who is playing quarterback?  Yes, LSU has a lot of returning talent, but who is playing quarterback?  Burreaux was that good at reading and understanding defenses, extending plays, and finding his stable of all world wide outs.  They have also had a lot of departures to the pros, including Jefferson, Moss and Edwards-Hilaire.  Is Brendan Myles going to be able to provide some degree of what Burreaux did, especially with Brady also gone? There were games where Burreaux was clearly the difference, without him, do they win those?  Until I see Myles actually do it, I cannot see them being better than, say, Alabama or Georgia.  Or even Florida, who they draw across conference, even if I have them rated above Florida.   

9.            Wisconsin

In large measure, this is because I do not believe in Minnesota’s revival.  The Big Whatever’s West is comparatively weak, the difference is in who they draw across conference.  Here, Wisky draws Methchicken and the aforementioned Indiana, and OLofPT out of conference but avoids The and PSU and eventual 2021 National Champion Michigan State.  Iowa, who I see as the next best team, gets The and PSU, plus MSU.  Wisky needs to replace Taylor, but getting someone to run behind the beef has never been an issue for them.

8              Oregon

I do not know who the Quarterback will be – I am conditionally gearing up on my Shough of Despond jokes, because who does not love them some Pilgrim’s Progress references.  But Oregon has rebuilt their brand on their line, so the loss of most of the offensive line worries me more. But Vardell is back, as is most of the defense.  They have a problematic game out of the gate – they would not be the first team to look past North Dakota State – and even though it is at home I suspect The in Game 2 will be more than a jelling team can handle.  But their toughest road test all year is probably the Apple Cup, or else… Arizona?  I don’t know, anyone in the PAWCP I expect to be any good goes to Eugene.

7.            the Pennsylvania State University

Franklin has the right stuff to coach a team up to the level of very good.  Greatness appears to elude him.  Still, the PSU has a lot of returning talent – they were overall a young team last year - crucially in the offensive backfield and along the offensive line.  They have some defensive losses, but have recruited well.  Their schedule takes them to Blacksburg VA for an OOC game against Virginia Tech, but other than a trip to Methchicken, all of their tougher Big Whatever games are at home.  The is still the class of the Big Whatever, but the PSU is a worthy challenger.

6.            Georgia

Of the teams with QB issues, I guess Georgia has the readiest answer, having picked up Newman, the grad transfer from Woke.  But as an answer… I saw the rebroadcast of the Pinstripe Bowl and I am not sure he is a GOOD answer.  Their running game will be less… Swift.  I think that God’s Conference East comes down to Florida and Georgia again.  For now, I go with Georgia.

5.            Oklahoma

There are a few teams I think are going to be better than Oklahoma that I rank behind them, but I think Oklahoma walks through the Pure Prairie League.  Sure, some will argue that Texas is back but I will believe that when it happens.  Like many of the teams behind them, Oklahoma has QB issues, but Lincoln Riley has lost stellar quarterbacks before.  They also lose a lot of wide receivers.  But most of the defense returns, and the defense played pretty well until that last game.  The conference is mediocre, specially if you think Baylor’s coaching change Rhules them out.  (Do you see what I did there).  OOC, they get Tennessee at home, but have to travel to the always challenging Army.  I think they are set up for another likely 1 loss season.

4.            Alabama

One year on the sidelines is enough.  I do not know who their starting QB will be, but I assume whoever it is knowing what they have for an entire off season is enough to allow Satan to draft an offense that suits that QB – Harris is returning, so running the ball is an option.  While Alabama has a lot of losses every year, the pipeline remains solid.  As always, Alabama has one tough opening game – University of California (Southern) in Texas, and they finally draw a quality cross conference team (Georgia) in their third game, so any issues they have better get solved right away.  Still, while there are three or four teams that could knock them off the God’s Conference perch, there are Quarterback issues for LSU and Georgia, and a flat bad QB at Auburn.  I will slot them here, for now.

3.            ClemSIN

They are here because I think ClemSIN’s losses are more serious than, say, Ohio State’s – it includes 4/5 of the offensive line, and Higgins and Simmons.  But Trevor Lawrence returns, and he is a difference maker.  Justyn Ross gives him one great target.  Etienne’s surprisning decision to stay gives them one weirdly underrated weapon I had not counted on.  ClemSIN’s recruiting classes have been top notch, so I expect the holes to be filled.  Working most in their favor is a schedule that looks to include one dangerous game – at Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie – and a continuing down trending conference.  Despite the losses, there is no reason to think they will not be one of the three or four top teams in the country.

2.            The

Some will not like this, but there it is.  The is facing some significant losses – Chase Young and Okudah could be among the first five draft choices, and Dobbins will be missed.  But The has been reloading D line and corners for a while now, most of the O Line has returned, and The has the one attribute that sets them over all of the top flight competitors save ClemSIN: a returning high quality quarterback. Road trip to Eugene is an interesting early season game – Oregon’s defense is stout – but their QB situation is unsettled.  Otherwise, the trip to Beaver Stadium is never fun, and The also travels to East Lansing for those who think that matters.  But their tough cross conference game (Iowa) is at home.  Another unbeaten season and a playoff appearance seems likely.

Michigan State

Yes, 2019 was a tremendous disappointment to me. Our offense never got rolling in a consistent way, Lewerke continued to make crucial errors that limited even his best games.  While we did land on one running back in Collins, we were never able to consistently control the ball and the clock the way a Dantonio offense needs to.  Defensively was even more of an issue.  I expected problems with the offense.  It was the way our defense absolutely collapsed around midseason that was alarming.  Still, I am hopeful for this year. Between Theo Day, who is a pro pocket type passer, and Payton Thorne, who is more of a dual threat guy, we should be able to identify a quality starting QB.  The wide receivers are a strong group where most of the games are played, on paper, and the offensive line are all experienced (for good and ill). A modicum of health and a resulting consistent and cohesive line up will help.  Defensively, losing Willikes and Williams is a blow, as is losing Bachie, but we do have experienced replacements.  Schedule wise, we draw the always tough Iowa (road) and sporadically tough Northwestern (home), and a resurgent Minnesota (home) across divisions, and have two interesting OOC games - BYU (road) and Miami (the real one, home) - together with The, PSU and Methchicken, so the schedule sets up tougher than we have had in the past.  Still, why not predict a resurgent team?  Make the passing game the soul of the offense, modernize!  We can DO this thing!  National Championship, baby!  Or 6 and 6.  Depending.

Well, it made me sick to see it; and I was sorry for them poor pitiful rascals, it seemed like I couldn't ever feel any hardness against them any more in the world. It was a dreadful thing to see. Human beings CAN be awful cruel to one another.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: January 21, 2020, 11:44:52 AM »

Trump all class with LSU squad

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/17/politics/white-house-lsu-ceremony-donald-trump/index.html
All?  My favorite word in that article was "almost". "Donald Trump" continues to play the same roll for Donald Trump that King Charles's head played for Mr. Dick.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 11:47:06 AM by Hairy Lime »
Well, it made me sick to see it; and I was sorry for them poor pitiful rascals, it seemed like I couldn't ever feel any hardness against them any more in the world. It was a dreadful thing to see. Human beings CAN be awful cruel to one another.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: January 21, 2020, 09:15:06 PM »

You obviously don't believe in benevolent monarchies.
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: January 22, 2020, 10:36:54 AM »

You obviously don't believe in benevolent monarchies.
I think monarchies are inherently bot benevolent.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: January 22, 2020, 06:08:13 PM »

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: January 26, 2020, 11:13:44 AM »

11.          University of California*

In all honesty, this is a place holder.  I expect someone from the Pure Prairie League or the PAWCP, or a fourth God’s Conference team, to go a strong 9 – 3.  Just not sure who.  Almost went with Okie State, or Florida.  I had Texas here, before I slapped myself upside the head.  They are not back until they are back.  Assuming they’ve settled on the North Scottsdale Flash at quarterback, they should have a good offense.  It is a tough schedule, though.  Ah, well, a shout out to trojen.

* Southern

10.          Louisiana State

Who is playing quarterback?  Yes, LSU has a lot of returning talent, but who is playing quarterback?  Burreaux was that good at reading and understanding defenses, extending plays, and finding his stable of all world wide outs.  They have also had a lot of departures to the pros, including Jefferson, Moss and Edwards-Hilaire.  Is Brendan Myles going to be able to provide some degree of what Burreaux did, especially with Brady also gone? There were games where Burreaux was clearly the difference, without him, do they win those?  Until I see Myles actually do it, I cannot see them being better than, say, Alabama or Georgia.  Or even Florida, who they draw across conference, even if I have them rated above Florida.   

9.            Wisconsin

In large measure, this is because I do not believe in Minnesota’s revival.  The Big Whatever’s West is comparatively weak, the difference is in who they draw across conference.  Here, Wisky draws Methchicken and the aforementioned Indiana, and OLofPT out of conference but avoids The and PSU and eventual 2021 National Champion Michigan State.  Iowa, who I see as the next best team, gets The and PSU, plus MSU.  Wisky needs to replace Taylor, but getting someone to run behind the beef has never been an issue for them.

8              Oregon

I do not know who the Quarterback will be – I am conditionally gearing up on my Shough of Despond jokes, because who does not love them some Pilgrim’s Progress references.  But Oregon has rebuilt their brand on their line, so the loss of most of the offensive line worries me more. But Vardell is back, as is most of the defense.  They have a problematic game out of the gate – they would not be the first team to look past North Dakota State – and even though it is at home I suspect The in Game 2 will be more than a jelling team can handle.  But their toughest road test all year is probably the Apple Cup, or else… Arizona?  I don’t know, anyone in the PAWCP I expect to be any good goes to Eugene.

7.            the Pennsylvania State University

Franklin has the right stuff to coach a team up to the level of very good.  Greatness appears to elude him.  Still, the PSU has a lot of returning talent – they were overall a young team last year - crucially in the offensive backfield and along the offensive line.  They have some defensive losses, but have recruited well.  Their schedule takes them to Blacksburg VA for an OOC game against Virginia Tech, but other than a trip to Methchicken, all of their tougher Big Whatever games are at home.  The is still the class of the Big Whatever, but the PSU is a worthy challenger.

6.            Georgia

Of the teams with QB issues, I guess Georgia has the readiest answer, having picked up Newman, the grad transfer from Woke.  But as an answer… I saw the rebroadcast of the Pinstripe Bowl and I am not sure he is a GOOD answer.  Their running game will be less… Swift.  I think that God’s Conference East comes down to Florida and Georgia again.  For now, I go with Georgia.

5.            Oklahoma

There are a few teams I think are going to be better than Oklahoma that I rank behind them, but I think Oklahoma walks through the Pure Prairie League.  Sure, some will argue that Texas is back but I will believe that when it happens.  Like many of the teams behind them, Oklahoma has QB issues, but Lincoln Riley has lost stellar quarterbacks before.  They also lose a lot of wide receivers.  But most of the defense returns, and the defense played pretty well until that last game.  The conference is mediocre, specially if you think Baylor’s coaching change Rhules them out.  (Do you see what I did there).  OOC, they get Tennessee at home, but have to travel to the always challenging Army.  I think they are set up for another likely 1 loss season.

4.            Alabama

One year on the sidelines is enough.  I do not know who their starting QB will be, but I assume whoever it is knowing what they have for an entire off season is enough to allow Satan to draft an offense that suits that QB – Harris is returning, so running the ball is an option.  While Alabama has a lot of losses every year, the pipeline remains solid.  As always, Alabama has one tough opening game – University of California (Southern) in Texas, and they finally draw a quality cross conference team (Georgia) in their third game, so any issues they have better get solved right away.  Still, while there are three or four teams that could knock them off the God’s Conference perch, there are Quarterback issues for LSU and Georgia, and a flat bad QB at Auburn.  I will slot them here, for now.

3.            ClemSIN

They are here because I think ClemSIN’s losses are more serious than, say, Ohio State’s – it includes 4/5 of the offensive line, and Higgins and Simmons.  But Trevor Lawrence returns, and he is a difference maker.  Justyn Ross gives him one great target.  Etienne’s surprisning decision to stay gives them one weirdly underrated weapon I had not counted on.  ClemSIN’s recruiting classes have been top notch, so I expect the holes to be filled.  Working most in their favor is a schedule that looks to include one dangerous game – at Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie – and a continuing down trending conference.  Despite the losses, there is no reason to think they will not be one of the three or four top teams in the country.

2.            The

Some will not like this, but there it is.  The is facing some significant losses – Chase Young and Okudah could be among the first five draft choices, and Dobbins will be missed.  But The has been reloading D line and corners for a while now, most of the O Line has returned, and The has the one attribute that sets them over all of the top flight competitors save ClemSIN: a returning high quality quarterback. Road trip to Eugene is an interesting early season game – Oregon’s defense is stout – but their QB situation is unsettled.  Otherwise, the trip to Beaver Stadium is never fun, and The also travels to East Lansing for those who think that matters.  But their tough cross conference game (Iowa) is at home.  Another unbeaten season and a playoff appearance seems likely.

Michigan State

Yes, 2019 was a tremendous disappointment to me. Our offense never got rolling in a consistent way, Lewerke continued to make crucial errors that limited even his best games.  While we did land on one running back in Collins, we were never able to consistently control the ball and the clock the way a Dantonio offense needs to.  Defensively was even more of an issue.  I expected problems with the offense.  It was the way our defense absolutely collapsed around midseason that was alarming.  Still, I am hopeful for this year. Between Theo Day, who is a pro pocket type passer, and Payton Thorne, who is more of a dual threat guy, we should be able to identify a quality starting QB.  The wide receivers are a strong group where most of the games are played, on paper, and the offensive line are all experienced (for good and ill). A modicum of health and a resulting consistent and cohesive line up will help.  Defensively, losing Willikes and Williams is a blow, as is losing Bachie, but we do have experienced replacements.  Schedule wise, we draw the always tough Iowa (road) and sporadically tough Northwestern (home), and a resurgent Minnesota (home) across divisions, and have two interesting OOC games - BYU (road) and Miami (the real one, home) - together with The, PSU and Methchicken, so the schedule sets up tougher than we have had in the past.  Still, why not predict a resurgent team?  Make the passing game the soul of the offense, modernize!  We can DO this thing!  National Championship, baby!  Or 6 and 6.  Depending.

Nice list no real complaints. I think if there is a snake in the grass for your list it would be the Gators.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: January 26, 2020, 12:38:35 PM »

Not.certain Florida will not be better than Georgia. They look to have what LSU finally found in 2018 in Burreaux. Maybe not the 2019 Burreaux.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: January 26, 2020, 01:21:00 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/17/politics/white-house-lsu-ceremony-donald-trump/index.html
All?  My favorite word in that article was "almost". "Donald Trump" continues to play the same roll for Donald Trump that King Charles's head played for Mr. Dick.

Trump's doing a great job. My 401K is booming and a lot of asshole lifetime politicians are pissed at him. Win win.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: January 26, 2020, 06:10:47 PM »

Trump's doing a great job. My 401K is booming and a lot of asshole lifetime politicians are pissed at him. Win win.
So your demand on a president is that he make you rich and function as the world's foremost internet troll?  Political fora thataway =>

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: January 26, 2020, 09:24:11 PM »

So your demand on a president is that he make you rich and function as the world's foremost internet troll?  Political fora thataway =>

Economy is booming. Mexico is starting to control it's borders, China is being brought to bay, Democrats lie straight faced to the people and the National Networks are in collusion with them. And an old man is kicking their 'collective' ass. As blood rolls out their ass. Yes, I'm happy.

Health care that Obama destroyed for the working middle class would be nice. But The Donald will probably get to that over the next 4 years despite their stonewalling and sopping up the blood. Boo hoo for them.

I assume you have a differing view. LOL

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: January 27, 2020, 12:46:54 PM »

Amazing. Nearly every word of that post was wrong, except the last sentence.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: January 28, 2020, 09:49:55 PM »

Marcus Aurelius  v Caligula   
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: January 28, 2020, 11:49:25 PM »

Marcus Aurelius  v Caligula
Reminds me of the Douglas Adam's bit about people voting for lizards so the wrong lizard doesn't get in.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: January 31, 2020, 12:55:45 AM »

So again...you see no difference between Marcus Aurelius and some other emperor like Caligula... for lack of a worse example?

Did one just have a better publicist?

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: January 31, 2020, 02:26:43 PM »

So again...you see no difference between Marcus Aurelius and some other emperor like Caligula... for lack of a worse example?

Did one just have a better publicist?
Of course there is a difference. Just as there is a difference between a bullet in the brain and a bullet in the groin. Different, sure, but neither please and thank you.
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 329