Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 250158 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #3690 on: August 24, 2020, 09:21:07 PM »

It's a new age, and by some ways of thinking you're right Rich. If we're willing to change the paradigm of how the human race lives from now on you're right. Sports is history the way it was. Mankind is now going to drop, duck and cover anytime a new virus cuts loose. Social gatherings will be gone. Wearing masks will be permanent from this point on. And as science develops will we all become bubble people in the future. No contact whatsoever. Assuming Science, mankind's new religion, doesn't eliminate all virus anytime soon.

It's a flu bug. Flu kills people, that's nothing new. This one kills a lot more than the regular flu bug because we have no vaccine for it. This bug is no stronger than than any of the rest more or less. We just don't have a shot for it. Will we shut the country down every time a new strain of the flu comes along? The answer is probably yes. Is this the new future for mankind? Again probably yes.

No, we are not going to follow your first paragraph's prediction. We cannot even do that in the midst of the pandemic in full roar in some places. If it dies down, then a huge chunk of humanity will go back to its foolhardy ways.

And Cap, I like you, but stick to stuff you know something about.

This IS deadlier than the flu bugs we have going around, even if it is not deadlier than the 1918 flu. It is not a flu and if folks would stop saying it is, maybe the jackasses who keep having parties would stop.

The damage it does to people's organs that had no visible symptoms is unlike any flu we have seen and it does it to a substantial percentage of the folks who catch it.

Please read up.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: August 25, 2020, 11:21:27 AM »

Cap if the cost of beating this disease, and saving tens of thousands of lives, and other related pain and suffering, (health and economic) is one lost football season, is that too high a price? Is that too much of a sacrifice to ask?

I really think if we had shut down in July and stayed shutdown for about 2 months there would have been a good chance kids all over the country preschool to college could have safely return to schools maybe by mid-late September, parents wouldn't have to make gut wrenching choices, and maybe we could start returning to some normalcy.

But we couldn't even do that.

We didn't lose our balls, we lost our fucking common sense.

It's a new age, and by some ways of thinking you're right Rich. If we're willing to change the paradigm of how the human race lives from now on you're right. Sports is history the way it was. Mankind is now going to drop, duck and cover anytime a new virus cuts loose. Social gatherings will be gone. Wearing masks will be permanent from this point on. And as science develops will we all become bubble people in the future. No contact whatsoever. Assuming Science, mankind's new religion, doesn't eliminate all virus anytime soon.

It's a flu bug. Flu kills people, that's nothing new. This one kills a lot more than the regular flu bug because we have no vaccine for it. This bug is no stronger than than any of the rest more or less. We just don't have a shot for it. Will we shut the country down every time a new strain of the flu comes along? The answer is probably yes. Is this the new future for mankind? Again probably yes.

Me personally, I'd rather take my chances and live the way I always have. But I have to think of the other chickenshits I know that. So I follow the rules and gripe about it. But I follow the rules, because law is ,"supposedly", what sets us above the animals.

Nobody was forced to get the flu shots before. Voluntary. Nobody was forced to wear masks in the beginning of this one. VOLUNTARY. The flu was a killer too of the old farts like you and I. Why is this flu somehow different? Where. how and when, did we cross over into the "new world". I dunno, but we're in it.

Bottomline freedom has always been an illusion. So i'm just bitchin because it hasn't been outlawed. Yet.

Cap-if you want real freedom then live on an island by yourself. But if not then you should recognie that society as we know mandates all sorts of laws and regulations to function. You might not like all of them all, but most of us obey them, and when we don't we pay the ticket.

I'm not going to argue about covid v the flu, or whether its just a nastier killer than the flu, I will argue that we should learn from observation, search out facts, beleive in science, and adapt our behavior in a common sense way. Its called learning. And everything we've learned of this disease from observation and science is that social distancing and masks seem to control te spread of the disease. We've seen that in areas and countries strict social distancing stopped the spread of the disease, but it came at a sacrifice.

But in the long-term what's worse, an economy hobbled for 2 months (the time for an effective quarantine to stop the disease),but the disease is controlled, or a half-assed patchwork of do what you want non-regulations that allowed this disease to control us for 6 months, kill 180,000 of us, cripple our healthcare systems in many parts of the country? And there is no end-point of certainty in sight. This motherfucker is voracious and is feeding on us.

And now with some of the effects of wide spread social distancing and mask-wearing finally taking place, BUT with the disease still spreading, we can't ask for college football to delay or postpone the season to save lives?

I hope all the kids that go back to school from pre-school to grad school, can do so safely as its the best learning environment, and solves a lot of problems for working, or hope to be working parents, and I look forward to stadiums full of fans, but to bitch about losing our balls, when we see 180,000 dead Americans and more in the future mostly because we did not use our common sense, seems really misplaced.

No one likes the steps needed to control this thing, or the sacrifices, but they seem so minimal, compared to other sacrifices others have made to protect us over our history, from colonial farmer-soldiers to current day ER nurese exposing themselves to death every day. Bitching about wearing a mask and being bored on a Fall Saturday afternoon seems so fucking selfish, it seems weird even to have to bring it up.

Stay well cap and wear your mask even if you, like me, hate the fucking thng, because I think you're smart ebnough to understand it saves lives.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 11:44:16 AM by bankshot1 »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: August 25, 2020, 11:35:01 AM »

"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: August 25, 2020, 12:16:21 PM »

No, we are not going to follow your first paragraph's prediction. We cannot even do that in the midst of the pandemic in full roar in some places. If it dies down, then a huge chunk of humanity will go back to its foolhardy ways.

And Cap, I like you, but stick to stuff you know something about.

This IS deadlier than the flu bugs we have going around, even if it is not deadlier than the 1918 flu. It is not a flu and if folks would stop saying it is, maybe the jackasses who keep having parties would stop.

The damage it does to people's organs that had no visible symptoms is unlike any flu we have seen and it does it to a substantial percentage of the folks who catch it.

Please read up.

First off let me say I like you too. And I'm not saying I don't wear masks. In fact I started wearing them as soon as I was told it was mandatory. Didn't like it. Don't have to like it. But this bug is, yes, basically just like the bad strains of flu out there in terms of damage. 

Flu damages too, that's no front page news.

But since you're into reading,

Both COVID-19 and flu can result in complications, including:

Pneumonia
Respiratory failure
Acute respiratory distress syndrome (i.e. fluid in lungs)
Sepsis
Cardiac injury (e.g. heart attacks and stroke)
Multiple-organ failure (respiratory failure, kidney failure, shock)
Worsening of chronic medical conditions (involving the lungs, heart, nervous system or diabetes)
Inflammation of the heart, brain or muscle tissues
Secondary bacterial infections (i.e. infections that occur in people who have already been infected with flu or COVID-19)

I may not me a world class scientist, but I do read. Flu often damages organs, always has.

This SARS based virus is nasty. Yes I once again say this. But my point was not which one was worse. It was has humanity turned a page marker in human socio-dynamics? The answer is a resounding yes. Is it right or wrong? That's for history to decide, not you or I. That was my point. I don't want to argue which one is worse. That's really pointless.

Many young people don't remember how bad viruses were 50 year ago. And of course they think they know everything and old farts like me are living in the past. And to a point I'm sure I am. Science progresses and we do better as time goes by sure thing. But be assured if everyone on the planet started wearing masks from day one it wouldn't have stopped this virus. Yes, I know you're going to say it would slow it down more. And maybe that's true. Maybe.

But mostly I was just grousing. I hope I haven't offended you as I said, I also like you.

What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: August 25, 2020, 12:20:26 PM »

Cap if the cost of beating this disease, and saving tens of thousands of lives, and other related pain and suffering, (health and economic) is one lost football season, is that too high a price? Is that too much of a sacrifice to ask?

I really think if we had shut down in July and stayed shutdown for about 2 months there would have been a good chance kids all over the country preschool to college could have safely return to schools maybe by mid-late September, parents wouldn't have to make gut wrenching choices, and maybe we could start returning to some normalcy.

Me personally, I'd rather take my chances and live the way I always have. But I have to think of the other chickenshits I know that. So I follow the rules and gripe about it. But I follow the rules, because law is ,"supposedly", what sets us above the animals.

Nobody was forced to get the flu shots before. Voluntary. Nobody was forced to wear masks in the beginning of this one. VOLUNTARY. The flu was a killer too of the old farts like you and I. Why is this flu somehow different? Where. how and when, did we cross over into the "new world". I dunno, but we're in it.

Bottomline freedom has always been an illusion. So i'm just bitchin because it hasn't been outlawed. Yet.

Cap-if you want real freedom then live on an island by yourself. But if not then you should recognie that society as we know mandates all sorts of laws and regulations to function. You might not like all of them all, but most of us obey them, and when we don't we pay the ticket.

I'm not going to argue about covid v the flu, or whether its just a nastier killer than the flu, I will argue that we should learn from observation, search out facts, beleive in science, and adapt our behavior in a common sense way. Its called learning. And everything we've learned of this disease from observation and science is that social distancing and masks seem to control te spread of the disease. We've seen that in areas and countries strict social distancing stopped the spread of the disease, but it came at a sacrifice.

But in the long-term what's worse, an economy hobbled for 2 months (the time for an effective quarantine to stop the disease),but the disease is controlled, or a half-assed patchwork of do what you want non-regulations that allowed this disease to control us for 6 months, kill 180,000 of us, cripple our healthcare systems in many parts of the country? And there is no end-point of certainty in sight. This motherfucker is voracious and is feeding on us.

And now with some of the effects of wide spread social distancing and mask-wearing finally taking place, BUT with the disease still spreading, we can't ask for college football to delay or postpone the season to save lives?

I hope all the kids that go back to school from pre-school to grad school, can do so safely as its the best learning environment, and solves a lot of problems for working, or hope to be working parents, and I look forward to stadiums full of fans, but to bitch about losing our balls, when we see 180,000 dead Americans and more in the future mostly because we did not use our common sense, seems really misplaced.

No one likes the steps needed to control this thing, or the sacrifices, but they seem so minimal, compared to other sacrifices others have made to protect us over our history, from colonial farmer-soldiers to current day ER nurese exposing themselves to death every day. Bitching about wearing a mask and being bored on a Fall Saturday afternoon seems so fucking selfish, it seems weird even to have to bring it up.

Stay well cap and wear your mask even if you, like me, hate the fucking thng, because I think you're smart ebnough to understand it saves lives.

Can't argue with much of what you said Rich. And any parts that I could just isn't worth hashing around.

Yes, I'm selfish, I admit. Weird, probably that too. Stay well yourself.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: August 25, 2020, 03:13:16 PM »

LOL.

Nice to hear from you DJ. Most people here, with a couple of exceptions have decent hearts. My lawyer friend isn't too bright but he has a good heart.

I'm not sure the vaccine once produced will calm the situation down. Hopefully people will take it. Many will refuse for whatever reasons.

I for one will get it.

I don't like flu shots but I get them every year. I selfishly bitch about getting them too. I usually get a sore shoulder for days afterwards and a slight fever as I am told I am one of the people sensitive to it for some reason. But bitching is a good release valve.

Football is probably done as we know/knew it. But then so might be school, work, and just about everything else though. Times change. We deal with it in our own particular ways.

Take care.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 03:15:38 PM by CaptainCargo »

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: August 25, 2020, 05:36:02 PM »

Can't argue with much of what you said Rich. And any parts that I could just isn't worth hashing around.

Let me know when the flu reaches a 3% fatality rate.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: August 25, 2020, 09:39:16 PM »

Let me know when the flu reaches a 3% fatality rate.

Let me know what you think it would be for old people if there was no flu shot? Or anyone with compromised immune systems? This point seems to be lost on many people.

Like I said, people don't remember how bad the flu was 50 years ago. Or even 30 years ago. The history of virus vaccines specifically flu vaccines has been a rocky one to say the least. Science continues to improve them. But what do you think would be the death rate without it? An effective vaccine is going to be more important than all the masks in China. Ironically as the saying goes.

This is a good read if you want to understand the nature of vaccines and how far we've come from when I was a kid. This is where our future lies in fighting future outbreaks of rogue viruses. Much more than masks ever will.

https://www.nvic.org/vaccines-and-diseases/Influenza/vaccine-history.aspx

« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 09:57:03 PM by CaptainCargo »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: August 26, 2020, 07:18:18 PM »

So let's live life like we did until a vaccine comes along?
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: August 27, 2020, 12:26:51 PM »

Who said that?

I said the existence of a flu vaccine skews the flu mortality rate. If we had a vaccine for WUHAN then it's numbers would most likely be more in line with flu numbers.

Sheesh.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: August 27, 2020, 12:32:36 PM »

Fair enough.  I'll consider that a retraction of your initial "as a nation we have lost our balls" post.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: August 27, 2020, 01:05:12 PM »

Who said that?

I said the existence of a flu vaccine skews the flu mortality rate. If we had a vaccine for WUHAN then it's numbers would most likely be more in line with flu numbers.

Sheesh.
It is numbers?

It is not the same and there are a variety of reasons for that, but not on this forum.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: August 27, 2020, 05:33:22 PM »

Fair enough.  I'll consider that a retraction of your initial "as a nation we have lost our balls" post.

Nope. No retraction. The original ball post was to mean no sports. No "balls".

Get it?

After that everyone got all philosophical, so I obliged. Times change, but one thing is for sure this place never will.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: August 27, 2020, 05:35:17 PM »

Who said that?

Sheesh.
It is numbers?

It is not the same and there are a variety of reasons for that, but not on this forum.

"It's" is your problem/hangup.

But yes it is the same. Most people don't take into account that the numbers are apples and oranges when one of the viruses doesn't have a vaccine. Thus my history of viruses link which some still didn't get why I linked it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 05:39:42 PM by CaptainCargo »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: August 27, 2020, 06:14:22 PM »

Nope. No retraction. The original ball post was to mean no sports. No "balls".

Get it?

After that everyone got all philosophical, so I obliged. Times change, but one thing is for sure this place never will.
Oh.
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 329