Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 258033 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #3855 on: October 31, 2020, 03:46:18 PM »

Time to say "Hi" to all my UM fan friends and relatives on Facebook.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: October 31, 2020, 03:49:00 PM »

Amazing things happen when you do not turn the ball over 7 times.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: October 31, 2020, 03:50:24 PM »

Nice win by Silo Tech.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: October 31, 2020, 03:51:14 PM »

Taunt away. No fucks given today.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: October 31, 2020, 07:20:04 PM »

Crap the website ate my report.
How convenient.
Covered up your pick of Minnesota.. lol

Actually I just cut and pasted Stevo's picks Old Skip. And added some SEC games he left off.

But yeah, I probably would have taken the Go-4s.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: October 31, 2020, 07:23:24 PM »

Bulldog's defense is playing big boy defense so far.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: October 31, 2020, 07:26:09 PM »

Oh and congrats Steve. I watched most of the game. Switching here and there from time to time. #4 for Michigan was overmatched. I'm surprised they didn't throw even more passes his way.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: October 31, 2020, 07:45:35 PM »

I am not sure what is more surreal - the empty Big Outhouse or all those seats for a white out.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: November 01, 2020, 07:26:44 AM »

How convenient.

Actually I just cut and pasted Stevo's picks Old Skip. And added some SEC games he left off.

I mean, it is a strange taunt coming from a guy who never picks games in the first place.

I do not share the low opinion of the Big Whatever mouthed - if that is the verb I am after - by some here, and it is only two games in, but based on yesterday's games, it is pretty clear that it would take a cataclysmic event for anyone to beat the in the Big Whatever. Or Alabama in God's Conference. I also think that ClemSIN will get in the playoff even if they lose to Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie - which I don't.expect them to do. The offense eventually looked pretty great even with the world's worst set of Scrabble tiles at QB instead of Pretty Boy Lawrence.

Franklin gets paid the big bucks to make tough decisions and take the big chances, but I cannot imagine that I would risk giving that offense a short field in the first quarter. Especially calling a screen to get the yards.

With Okie State getting the first of its two losses minimum the Pure Prairie League is out of the Championship chase.

Cannot wait for the PAWCP to start. But what is with the 9 am start times? I realize that the rest of the country having issues with late kickoffs, but there has to be a better solution then that.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: November 01, 2020, 11:11:21 AM »

How convenient.

I mean, it is a strange taunt coming from a guy who never picks games in the first place.

I do not share the low opinion of the Big Whatever mouthed - if that is the verb I am after - by some here, and it is only two games in, but based on yesterday's games, it is pretty clear that it would take a cataclysmic event for anyone to beat the in the Big Whatever. Or Alabama in God's Conference. I also think that ClemSIN will get in the playoff even if they lose to Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie - which I don't.expect them to do. The offense eventually looked pretty great even with the world's worst set of Scrabble tiles at QB instead of Pretty Boy Lawrence.

Franklin gets paid the big bucks to make tough decisions and take the big chances, but I cannot imagine that I would risk giving that offense a short field in the first quarter. Especially calling a screen to get the yards.

With Okie State getting the first of its two losses minimum the Pure Prairie League is out of the Championship chase.

Cannot wait for the PAWCP to start. But what is with the 9 am start times? I realize that the rest of the country having issues with late kickoffs, but there has to be a better solution then that.

I know Lawrence was out. But hey, he doesn't play on the defense.

Speaking of defense, I wish we had one.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: November 01, 2020, 11:58:34 AM »

How convenient.

I know Lawrence was out. But hey, he doesn't play on the defense.

Speaking of defense, I wish we had one.
If it is any consolation, at.least 8 other teams will have.the same wish this year. 38 points is on the low side for the.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: November 01, 2020, 12:34:27 PM »

Re: PAC12 noon start times:

The 9 am Pac12 Start time ( Nov 7 ASU @USC is the first one) comes at a very opportune time for the league.
Fans can’t attend the games live because of COVID-19 and interest in the league should be higher since the Big12 relevance in the CFP is waning.
Fox has already in the past few years moved many of its marquee games in the BIG to noon and seen ratings gains.
The Pac12 also has 8 Friday night games on its schedule.
In reality the PAC12 stands to pick up viewers in the east with noon starts and relatively little to lose by trying it. 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: November 04, 2020, 02:10:59 PM »

EVENTUAL 2020-21 NATIONAL CHAMPION MICHIGAN STATE 24, Iowa 17

True interesting fact: Michigan State is undefeated when turning the ball over 6 times or fewer! Iowa is now winless, which is not at all where I expected them to be. Lombardi is looking like he is determined to win me over. Last week was full of bad passes and perfectly placed ones. Some consistency would be nice. It would also be nice if Ricky White is the real deal – he sure looked it Saturday, but that was one game where he was working on island coverage without a lot of safety help. It would also be nice if we could run the rock. Simmons looks good, but tentative, Collins is no where to be found, and Heyward… welcome back from the transfer portal! We did a pretty good job defensively against Meatchicken – and not as bad against Rutgers as the score made it look – and Iowa’s offense has been mediocre. I am enthused.

Florida 17, Georgia 13

One of the two the non-MSU marquee games of the week. Georgia’s offense has been missing in action all year. Hard to imagine it turning up this weekend. Hard also to imagine Georgia’s defense not taking Florida to trask, but unless the Law Firm of Stetson Bennett LLP dramatically improves, Georgia team is going nowhere. Not sure how replaceable the two suspended for a half Gators will be, but I still think Florid has the defensive moxie to bottle up the weak Georgia offense.

ClemSIN 35, Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie 20

After giving up 21 points to BC’s offense in the first half Saturday ClemSIN’s defense throttled the life out of them in the second half. I expect the second half is what we see this week. OLotPT has not really shown me the kind of sustained quality offense necessary to stay with ClemSIN’s offense, or enough defense to make me think they can contain ClemSIN’s offense. The World’s Worst Draw of Scrabble Tiles looks like, well, like I am going to have to learn to spell his name next year. Etienne continues to be the most underappreciated great player in CFB. As an aside, does anyone know of the whereabouts of jbott? I really want to get back to making anti-ClemSIN jokes again.

the 52, Rutgers 10

There is a scene at the end of A Fish Called Wanda where Otto (Kevin Kline) has his feet stuck in cement unable to move while watching as Kkkkken (Michael Palin) slowly drives up to (and over) him in a steam roller. I imagine that is roughly how Greg Schiano feels this week. Rutgers is winless when its defense forces 6 turnovers or fewer. I expect that stat to be a valid one at year’s end as well.

Meatchicken 27, Indiana 20

On one hand, MSU showed opposing teams the crucial weaknesses in Meatchicken’s offense and defense. On the other, MSU also showed Meatchicken’s coaches the same weaknesses, and I do not know if IU’s offense can exploit Meatchicken’s island corners the way MSU did – or that Meatchicken will be using the safeties as run support again. I do think IU has a stout enough defense to take away the run option from Milton and make him play quarterback and to limit Meatchicken’s rather pedestrian receivers. IU is being talked about on the fringes of the playoffs. That is nice for them.

University of California* 35, Arizona State 27

Welcome back PAWCP! I get that the 9 start time makes business sense; I am just not sure that it makes sense for the pregame preparation for the kids who actually play the game. Anyway, I have high expectations for trojanhorse’s boys this year. So, stumbling out of the gate against a pretty good Sun Devils team is practically guaranteed. Sorry, troj.

* Southern

S 35, Y 31

The Battle of the BU’s!

the Pennsylvania State University 28, Maryland 17

It looks like Maryland has an offense, with Mini-Tua at the helm. On the other hand, Minnesota’s defense has had issues in both of the games they have played, so we will see. I think the PSU put up a good effort against the last week – there is just a huge talent gap between the and the rest of the Big However Many. PSU is the best winless team in CFB. I think they can contain Maryland.

Oregon 27, Stanford 21

Oregon breaks in a new QB – their old one is in the process of proving me wrong about him in the NFL, but he was a decidedly flawed college QB – and Stanford is trying to rebound from a down year. Really, I have no sense of the PAWCP until I see them play a few games, so I am just going with my feeling that Oregon will avoid the Shough of Despond. Because the world does not get enough bad John Bunyan jokes and I am the remedy!

Texas A&M 35, South Carolina 17

Don’t sleep on TAMU as the fourth playoff team, especially if the PAWCP forms the traditional circular firing squad. Their schedule going forward is manageable. One loss, with Alabama as your only loss? Granted, this year’s version of God’s Conference West is not like the last few years’s, but they still have the reputation and running the non-Alabama portion of that table is impressive. Looks good when compared to a lot of two loss teams from the Pure Prairie League, or God’s Conference East – particularly if it is Florida, who they beat - or whatever comes out of the COVID raddled clusterfuck of a Big However Many West. I suppose Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie could muck it up by beating a Lawrenceless ClemSIN. Anyway, I still don’t like their quarterback, but they are perfectly placed in this mess of a year.

Cincinnati 41, Houston 17

Then again, could this be the year a Group of Five team gets in? Cinci has the ranking to demand serious consideration in the event there is a butt load of two loss Power Five conference champions. Cinci made a pretty persuasive case last week.

Oklahoma State 27, Kansas State 17

I guess OSU has national relevance until they pick up a second loss. It could happen this week, but I am thinking their reckoning comes a bit later.

Wisconsin 0, Purdue 0

The Big However Many has a COVID protocol the includes cardiac testing and takes 21 days. Not only is Wisky not playing Purdue, they ain't playing Meatchicken in two weeks either. As a dedicated fan of chaos, I have to wonder what will happen in Wisky goes 5 - 0 and goes up against, say a 7 - 1 team that they beat. Technically, a half game behind, right? Or a 6 - 1 Nebraska, who Wisky would have a presumably higher ranking?

« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 02:18:49 PM by Hairy Lime »

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: November 04, 2020, 09:21:42 PM »

Ok.   I guess I figured out my issue.   Hopefully I don't have more problems...

I have been pretty unmotivated when it comes to football and USC in general over the last 8 months or so.   But I have to admit, I am getting a little excited about watching the team again.

First take:  9 am is flipping ridiculous and Larry Scott should absolutely be fired for trying one desperation move after another.   That said, if you are going to do it...this is the year.  Since there are no fans anyway, you are not interfering with tailgates and arrivals etc.

I am actually somewhat looking forward to watching gameday and immediately going to our game.  SO ok...

I have USC 31 ASU 24
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: November 07, 2020, 02:44:08 PM »

I am enthused.
It is such a fine line between "enthused" and "euthanized."
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 03:18:03 PM by Hairy Lime »
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 329