Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 257142 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #4845 on: November 25, 2023, 09:46:50 PM »

Harbaugh will be in the pros next year.

Smith leaving his alma mater is a symptom of the demise of the PAWCP.
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and distribution was made to each as any had need.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4846 on: November 27, 2023, 02:25:21 PM »

I have not done this all year because, frankly, no one has been here but what the Hell. Note my fondness for potential chaos in a final four team Playoff Field that might otherwise feature the only four unbeaten teams in the Country.

CUSA Championship, New Mexico State v. Liberty

I know Liberty handled NMSU pretty easily early in the season but I will not, under any circumstances, pick a school inextricably entwined with the Hell ensconced Jerry Falwell for anything, ever. New Mexico State.

May It Rest In Peace Conference, Oregon v. Washington

Just sticking in my oar here, but please please please can one result of this conference dying be that USC and UCLA play each other on the last Saturday of the regular season again? Anyway, Washington is a good team, but I watched their earlier win against Oregon and thought that Oregon was the better team, hamstrung by an over reliance on analytics over plain football sense. Kick a fucking field goal now and again for fucks sake. Not only are they the better team, they are also the Chaos Choice. Oregon

Pure Prairie League Championship, Oklahoma State v. Texas

Texas has a couple of close wins to go with the loss to Oklahoma, but at least they did not lose to South Alabama AT HOME. I have seen nothing from Okie State to make me think they will win this. So they probably will, but. Texas

MAC Championship, Miami (OH) v. Toledo

Toledo won a fairly close game in Oxenford the first time out. Other than that loss, the two teams only have their Power 5 conference loss on their plate. I will rely on the prior game result. Toledo

Future Home of Wazzou and Oregon State, Boise State v. UNLV

Not much to go on here. Both got bitch slapped by currently Top 4 teams, both lost to the Fresno State Fighting Raisins. Maybe it is brand recognition, but I will take. Boise State

American Conference Championship, SMV v. Tulane

Tulane is in line for a trip to the desert with a win. They have been pretty good all year, a respectable loss to Old Mississippi being their only loss. SMU has two respectable losses, by virtue of playing two Power Five teams instead of one. But there is a strong chance that a Tulane loss might put Liberty into a NY6 game, and I will not allow that. Tulane

God apostrophe s Conference Championship, Georgia v. Alabama

As for chaos, Alabama winning would create clarity, not chaos, because in the event of a loss by any of the other unbeatens, a one loss Georgia would clearly get in. But I do not think that happens. Alabama has gotten better most of the year, fluke near miss to PAYTON FUCKING THORNE notwithstanding. But Georgia is on a Bud Wilkinson at Okie kind of run right now. They are the best team in GFB, and I do not see a let down. Georgia

Sun Belt Championship, Appalachian State v. Troy

App State once beat Meatchicken. I have friended them ever since. App State

SWAC Championship, Prairie View A and M v. Florida A and M

My sole data point on this? Last year, while vacationing in the St. Augustine area, I bought a polo shirt with the FAMU Rattler logo on it at a T J Maxx. My wife and I make odd tourism choices. FAMU

South Atlantic League Championship, Florida State v. Louisville

With Travis, this would be FSU. But without him? I watched the back up play last week against a mediocre Florida squad and, even accounting for the rivalry factor, it was not great. It is probably the chaos worshipper in me that makes this pick. Brohm was a pretty good hire. Louisville

Engulf and Devour Conference Championship, Meatchicken v. Iowa

Have to respect the Iowa defense enough to think it will be close, but between their offense and the Meatchicken defense, Iowa could wind up with negative yards from scrimmage. It pains me to do this, but Meatchicken

So, with those results, two teams are obviously set for the playoffs, Georgia and Meatchicken. But these results do leave us with a few choices for those final two spots.

First, I think the easy choice is Oregon, as a Conference Champion, and the most likely currently highest rated one loss team. That leaves four once beaten teams (Remember, the Committee has never in their final rankings elevated a two loss team over a one loss team, so even Alabama is out). Florida State, Texas, the, and Washington.

First out would be, I think, Florida State. They really do not have a signature win over a highly ranked team. In fact, it looks like the only Top 25 team they will play all year will be Louisville. They will not have a conference championship. You need to be perfect with that kind of schedule. I think that the Committee is not supposed to take injuries into account, specifically, but it is hard to separate the loss of their starting quarterback from consideration.

Herbstreet was treating the Meatchicken loss as disqualifying for the, but I do not think it is. For a one loss team they have a lot going for them. They have the best loss and wins over two of the Top 25 teams. The Committee also clearly likes them based on the eye test. It will be interesting to see where the Committee puts them in relation to Texas this week. But remember, they will not have a conference championship and they are also lacking that crucial thirteenth game data point. I think Texas leapfrogs them, regardless of where they are ranked.

So in the end, it comes down to Texas and Washington. In theory all the cards should be playing for Washington. They will have had the best win of the two, Oregon as opposed to two loss Alabama.  Also, the best loss of the two, Oregon over Oklahoma. The RIP Conference was also stronger than the Pure Prairie League and stronger than it had been in a while, which gave Washington three wins over Top 25 teams in the AP, as opposed to Texas winning two, counting the Championship game. But, it is hard to envision the RIP Conference getting two slots when there are other valid choices. It would essentially give three slots to the Engulf and Devour Conference. I think being a Conference Champ would elevate Texas. So, my final four would be

Georgia
Meatchicken
Oregon
Texas.

There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and distribution was made to each as any had need.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4847 on: November 28, 2023, 11:30:39 AM »

Great analysis
Thank you. I will be interested in seeing where the Committee places the and Texas tonight.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #4848 on: November 28, 2023, 11:45:42 AM »

What happens when Texas pulls a Texas (that used to be Clemson pulling a Clemson before they figured it out) and loses to Oklahoma State on Saturday?
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4849 on: November 28, 2023, 01:09:26 PM »

What happens when Texas pulls a Texas (that used to be Clemson pulling a Clemson before they figured it out) and loses to Oklahoma State on Saturday?
Based on my other winners above? The gets in over Washington.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4850 on: November 29, 2023, 09:42:21 AM »

I think if  I reenrolled at MSU I would stand a decent chance of being the quarterback next year.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4852 on: December 03, 2023, 06:56:48 AM »

Does the Committee have the balls toea e God apostrophe s Conference out?

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #4853 on: December 03, 2023, 07:29:04 AM »

One can only imagine the tantrum Saban would throw.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4854 on: December 03, 2023, 10:49:12 AM »

One can only imagine the tantrum Saban would throw.
That would be a great side benefit.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4855 on: December 04, 2023, 09:15:04 AM »

If cap were still here I I would be forced to apologize and admit he was right. I had always defended the Committee as being consistent in its vision, even when it seemed random. But. I can no longer defend for instance taking the over PSU in 2016. The Committee had consistently held a two loss team and a one loss team presented different resumes. If a two loss team is not comparable to a one loss team, a one loss team shod not be comparable to an unbeaten one. I cannot help but think name and conference bias got Alabama in. If Georgia had won, the Committee would not have hesitated to take FSU over Texas. Not for a second.

Crop. Justice requires me to root for Meatchicken in the first round. I may need some time to adjust to this.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #4856 on: December 04, 2023, 09:25:42 AM »

I still have no idea why there has to be those 6 in season playoff rankings. 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4857 on: December 04, 2023, 09:31:51 AM »

I still have no idea why there has to be those 6 in season playoff rankings.
TV advertising revenue for ESPN, and something for Paul Firebaum to talk about for a couple months.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4858 on: December 04, 2023, 09:40:57 AM »

Kyle McCord to the rather crowded QB transfer portal.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4859 on: December 04, 2023, 09:42:06 AM »

Just learned that the has an incoming freshman QB named Air Noland. Sweet.
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 329