Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 258328 times)

Espnthree

• View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #4905 on: January 10, 2024, 05:20:24 PM »

Nick Saban is retiring.
What a record he had that will never be topped. 

It is all due the training he got at Toledo, Ohio State, and Michigan State.

Happy retirement Nick!

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4906 on: January 10, 2024, 06:15:04 PM »

Vile traitor.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4907 on: January 10, 2024, 07:15:00 PM »

Nick? Uh. Well..... WOW.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: January 17, 2024, 12:11:48 PM »

the has hired Bjorn as its new AD. Swan dress jokes are too obvious, so I will just post this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ALkk6UlfjgU
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: January 17, 2024, 05:50:12 PM »

Toledo Head Coach Jason Candle touted as OC under Ryan Day.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4910 on: January 18, 2024, 01:16:31 PM »

Harbaugh is apparently seeking a new contract from Meatchicken that prevents them from firing him for cause based on current NCAA investigations into the football program. Wonder what he knows. Enjoy the title while they let you keep it, Meatchicken!

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: January 18, 2024, 10:33:29 PM »

Bill O'Brian was Toledo's Head Coach?

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4912 on: January 22, 2024, 06:06:34 PM »

Has the dust settled yet? Are we done with the major team coaching, draft calls and portal reshuffling? I guess Harbaugh is still in play, but if he leaves I think Sherrone Moore takes over, and I am not sure that makes a huge difference. At the very least, unlike all of the other moves, it should only affect one team. I do not recall an off-season with so much change in the post championship weeks as this one. OK, granted, Satan does not retire every year, but there have been some reshaping portal jumps and draft decisions. To be honest, I have been all over the board on several teams.

To start, some teams not in my Top 11:

Arizona

I had them winning the Pure Prairie League before Washington went Fisching for a new coach. Their new hire is kind of, well, not exciting and it remains to be seen whether he can recapture the magic of last year s team. Which is the problem with being an Arizona, moderate sized fish swimming with sharks. Your coach is ripe for poaching, and then who do you get? By the time the carousel hit Tucson, all the horses were taken. That fact is why my beloved Spartans overpaid for Tucker after one successful year. Anyway, they still have Fifita and most of their O Line, so they are still a threat.

Wahington

I did not have them in my Top 11 before DeBoer trekked off to where the tusks are looser, and they are not there now with Fisch. Fisch did a great job with the turn around in Arizona, but you cannot make bricks without straw. They lost way too much for me to pick them as a top team in the Big However Many They Have This Year. The internal replacement for Pennix followed DeBoer to Alabama, although the AU backup followed Fisch into Washington. And I have to say this, Will Rogers reentered the portal after Fisch was hired, meaning Will Rogers finally met a coach he didnt like.

ClemSIN

If you do not get ahead of history it will crush you. SWINEy does not like the Portal. Fine, a lot of people do not, and even I have reservations about how it operates, and I have always been in favor of freer player movement in CFB. But if you are coaching in this moment in history, you either get busy living or you get busy dying. ClemSIN is dying.

University of California*

Maybe Lincoln Riley was not the right coach after all. Two years with Caleb Williams and SC was never really a playoff threat. Now, their offense appears a little Mossy, and the Defense has not stopped anyone for two years. They look to be about the fifth best team in the Big However Many They Have This Year.

Missouri

They had a good year last year, but I still look on them as a team that had a good year rather than a program being built. The workhorse back that they rode to the win is gone. See, Michigan State 2022 for further information. Regression likely.

The Pennsylvania State University

They disappointed me far too much last year to get back on that horse. Show me some progression from Allar and I will think about it. He was a bust against any team with a pulse last year.

Texas

In a vacuum, I think Texas should be as good as they were last year, really they have the most important pieces returning, including almost all of their offensive line and Ewers. But they are not playing in a vacuum, there are playing in God apostrophe s Conference now and that automatically ups the level of their in conference schedule. While Ewers returned, the Wide Receiver corps lost a lot, although one of the many Alabama refugees will help immediately. They also need to replace the middle of the D line. And frankly I remain skeptical of the Texas is Back! narrative until they prove it over a couple of years.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4913 on: January 22, 2024, 06:09:22 PM »

Too Early Top 11:

11. Florida State University

Someone is winning the South Atlantic League and punching their ticket to the first 12 team dance, might as well be FSU, at least for as long as SWINEy continues to deny the reality of the modern CFB world in ClemSIN. FSU s last game leaves a bad taste, true, but they have talent returning, and they brought DJ Unnecessary Number of Vowels to help their offense. The thing is, DJU has fallen short of his potential in the South Atlantic League Before. Still, again, SOMEONE is winning the conference, and FSU has a pretty cake schedule, particularly if Florida continues to underperform.

10.         Meatchicken

There is a chance for a huge implosion this year. They are actually playing good teams, and a lot of them, in addition to the. They have two other CFP teams, Texas and Washington, as well as Oregon. They also have USC, and of course a guaranteed loss on October 26. The good news for them is they only have Washington and the on the road. Still, they lost their top running back, wide receivers and their Quarterback with no experienced replacements waiting for most of them and no significant transfer portal adds. And, who knows but that the annual Harbaugh to the pros talk will have legs? Anyway, I still think that they can ride their defense a very long way, but it is a tough schedule and they are losing a lot offensively.

9.            Utah

They are probably the best of the new Pure prairie League programs coming in, traditionally. They had significant injuries last season and under performed, primarily because Rising had his usual season ending injury before the season got underway, rather than just before the bowl game. And while Rising is coming back, along with a couple of other players who missed all or most of the season, the fact that two backups entered the portal is significant giving his injury history. Still, it is a solid program and Rising cannot get hurt every year. Can he?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 06:16:28 PM by Hairy Lime »

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: January 22, 2024, 06:10:45 PM »

8.            Alabama

Well I honestly was not expecting Satan retiring. DeBoer is a good coach, and he will have most, well many that was a huge portal list, of Satan s recruited players returning. But there are serious concerns, including massive losses in the defense, particularly the secondary and the inconsistency of Milroe, exacerbated by the loss of Sayin as a potential replacement. Yes, DeBoer brought a lot with him. Yes, they have options. They are Alabama, they always have options.  But that schedule is tough, with a trip to Wisky, LSU and Oklahoma, plus an early season match with Georgia. Their talent and DeBoer coaching should keep them viable as a contender, but two or three losses is not out of the question.

7.            Oklahoma State

With Texas and Oklahoma moving out, Okie State is now the best legacy program left, and they were sort of the Michigan State of the conference, good enough to occasionally challenge but not good enough to be a consistent threat to the elite teams. But now they look almost like the top remaining dog. They return their entire offensive line and key skill position players on offense. In a league that is going to struggle to identify itself, with fully half its teams joining in the last two years, that should be enough.

6.            Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie

I did not have them this far up at first, but I kept moving teams down past them. Anyway, the did a decent job in replacing Sam Hartman, Sam Hartman with Elmore Leonard. Note, may not be actual first name. A couple of promising receivers and O Linemen in from the portal as well, which is probably their biggest need outside of QB. Defensively, they did get some starters to forego the pros for another year.  Their schedule looks tough on paper, but a lot of those teams, like TAMU and USC and Louisville, enter into the season with a ton of questions. Their toughest game is likely to be FSU, at home. They are primed for a maybe one loss season.

5.            Old Mississippi

Three of their portal adds were Yam Banks, Diego Pounds and Princely Unanmielen, so they win the portal on names alone. PU and Walter Nolen fill a big need defensively. They need help in the secondary but their asshole coach brought in a lot of God apostrophe s Conference ready talent to fill in those gaps as well. Offensively, Dart will be darting, and two of their top receivers are returning, joined by portaller Juice Wells. Really, does Kiffin recruit based on name? If so, that is a Hairy approved path. I am always skeptical of the hype of Missississippippi teams, but they do look real.

4.            Oregon

They are losing Nix. Past Hairy would consider that a positive, but there is no doubt Nix played surprisingly to me well these last two years. Still, I think there is an element of system success for Oregon these days, and Gabriel is a proven QB, with Moore waiting for his chance. They are losing a lot in the secondary, but otherwise they should have a decent defense. Oregon, the and Meatchicken play a round robin which is likely to be the equivalent of a playoff play in.

3.            the Ohio State University

I toyed with them out of the Top 11 for a while, but no team has had a more surprising off season for me, except perhaps Alabama. When I started drafting this, I fully expected Egbuka, Henderson, Burke Tuimoloau and Sawyer to all go to the pros, along with several other players. Instead, the only significant loss was Harrison. Granted, Harrison is a huge loss, but the is lousy with wide receiver prospects including consensus Number 1 recruit Jeremiah Smith. The managed to retain more of their pro eligible talent than many of the other top level teams. I guess that is what comes from not meeting your goals. And then the portal hits started coming. Just Sayin they did well on that score, poaching a solid if unspectacular starting QB, one of God apostrophe s Conferences top running back and three Alabaman refugees. Also worth noting that their schedule takes a decidedly Meatchicken approach to the OOC. Still, that horrible offensive egg laid in the Cotton Bowl was not just on the QB, and the weaknesses it revealed, like the O Line, did not go away.

2.            Georgia

They were the best team in the country last year, and I expect them to be the best team in the country this year. Unlike the last couple of years, they are not replacing massive amounts of 1st round defensive talent. They do lose their two best pass catchers, but return Beck and picked up Baby Etienne to bolster the run game. And while the defense is not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which they are they are, and that is really good.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 06:15:51 PM by Hairy Lime »

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4915 on: January 22, 2024, 06:11:58 PM »

1.            EVENTUAL 2024-2025 NATIONAL CHAMPION MICHIGAN STATE

I think we will be fine.  After the initial rush to the portal following Smith s hire, many of the more important players have returned home. Our pathetic QB play should be improved (could hardly get worse without snapping the ball into a.vacuum) with Chiles coming in to give us a dual threat for the first time since, well, maybe Charlie Baggett? Smith has also brought in some O Line talent

I do not think we were quite as bad as our record, despite getting blown out five times. Anyway, we have a nightmare stretch of Ohio State, Oregon and Michigan in four games, and the team in the middle is Iowa. I will have more later.

* Southern
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 06:13:29 PM by Hairy Lime »

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4916 on: January 22, 2024, 06:14:31 PM »

Too Early Picks for the CFB Playoffs:

To start, the current set up gives six Conference Champions automatic entries and six at large teams, and the Top 4 Teams byes. I think that format gets tweaked, since it is based on five power conferences, and the PAWCP sleeps with the fishes. I think it unlikely they go with two non-power conference teams, which this year would have put the AAC Champion, 24th rated SMU, in ahead of the 11th rated team, Old Mississippi. I am going to give an alternate in case we get only five conference champions. This will not follow my top 11, above, but I do assume that while the conference champion gets in, that does not mean they automatically get a top 4 seed. So, my Top 4 seeds are

1.       Michigan State (Big However Many Is It This Year Champ)

2.       Georgia (God Apostrophe s Conference Champ)

3.       The (Reality Based Big However Many Is It This Year Champ)

4.       Old Mississippi State (At Large Because of COURSE a second God apostrophe s Conference team is getting a top seed)

5.       Oklahoma State (Pure Prairie League Champ)

The rest of the seedings:

12. Boise State (6/6) or Tulane (5/7) v. 5. Oregon

11. Tulane (6/6) or Texas (5/7) v. 6. OLotPT

10.  Florida State v. 7. Alabama

9.  Utah v. 8 Meatchicken

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #4917 on: January 23, 2024, 03:04:55 PM »

Bill O'Brian was Toledo's Head Coach?
Yes

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4918 on: January 24, 2024, 08:21:24 PM »

Will there be even one undefeated team in the CFP this season ? I'm thinkin the answer has a more than just a good chance of being no.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4919 on: January 26, 2024, 07:35:56 PM »

Will there be even one undefeated team in the CFP this season ? I'm thinkin the answer has a more than just a good chance of being no.
Other than EVENTUAL 2024-2025 NATIONAL CHAMPION MICHIGAN STATE? No.
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329