Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 250187 times)

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #975 on: November 08, 2018, 03:06:53 PM »

A Notre Dame loss also hurts Michigan. And to maybe a lesser extent OSU if they are the B10 entry for consideration.
A Notre Dame loss hurts Notre Dame.
It does not hurt Michigan.
Michigan can only hurt Michigan by losing.

An undefeated ND helps the Michigan loss. Lots and lots of talk about how 'Michigan's only loss is to undefeated Notre Dame'. A Notre Dame loss tarnishes that a bit. No other way around that. A two loss ND even more.

Also my thinking has OSU beating Michigan 'may' mean more if ND stays undefeated. But that could I suppose be argued either way.
Well, if Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie loses it may mean that tOSU beats the #3 team in the rankings, which is hard to improve on. Of course tOSU is picking up their second loss on Saturday, so they are out of the playoff picture anyway.

If ND falls off the shelf and gets themselves Humpty Dumptied with two or three losses the talk in the Committee's chambers could turn to 'the Big 10 is in a down year so what about Oklahoma/Wash St/W. Va?'... Assuming a couple of those teams win out. And OSU ends up with 3 losses also.

BTW I'm predicting a Spartan win also. Only 'possibly' unlike you I really think it will happen. Then again maybe you think they will win and it's not your usual bluster.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: November 08, 2018, 03:33:28 PM »

A Notre Dame loss also hurts Michigan. And to maybe a lesser extent OSU if they are the B10 entry for consideration.

An undefeated ND helps the Michigan loss. Lots and lots of talk about how 'Michigan's only loss is to undefeated Notre Dame'. A Notre Dame loss tarnishes that a bit. No other way around that. A two loss ND even more.
A three loss Notre Dame still has NO effect on Michigan getting into the playoffs.
Only  Michigan losses can accomplish that.

We disagree.
I was going to accuse Red ESPN of poll thinking and point out the committee reevaluated teams.each week, so a comparison between Meatchicken and Oklahoma could get dicey if each comes away one loss champs. But then I realized that a loss by Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie means instead of Meatchicken and Oklahoma competing for one spot they would be competing, along with maybe one loss Wash St for two spots. I suspect we all know who is outside looking in under that scenario.

So while you are right a loss by Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie would hurt Meatchickens resume, as a practical matter it would not affect their chances at being in the playoffs, just their possible seeding.

I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #977 on: November 08, 2018, 03:34:24 PM »

Also my thinking has OSU beating Michigan 'may' mean more if ND stays undefeated. But that could I suppose be argued either way.
Well, if Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie loses it may mean that tOSU beats the #3 team in the rankings, which is hard to improve on. Of course tOSU is picking up their second loss on Saturday, so they are out of the playoff picture anyway.

If ND falls off the shelf and gets themselves Humpty Dumptied with two or three losses the talk in the Committee's chambers could turn to 'the Big 10 is in a down year so what about Oklahoma/Wash St/W. Va?'... Assuming a couple of those teams win out. And OSU ends up with 3 losses also.

BTW I'm predicting a Spartan win also. Only 'possibly' unlike you I really think it will happen. Then again maybe you think they will win and it's not your usual bluster.
If Notre Dame loses Michigan moves to third in the rankings. They can only drop if they lose.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: November 08, 2018, 04:28:56 PM »

A three loss Notre Dame still has NO effect on Michigan getting into the playoffs.
Only  Michigan losses can accomplish that.

We disagree.
I was going to accuse Red ESPN of poll thinking and point out the committee reevaluated teams.each week, so a comparison between Meatchicken and Oklahoma could get dicey if each comes away one loss champs. But then I realized that a loss by Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie means instead of Meatchicken and Oklahoma competing for one spot they would be competing, along with maybe one loss Wash St for two spots. I suspect we all know who is outside looking in under that scenario.

So while you are right a loss by Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie would hurt Meatchickens resume, as a practical matter it would not affect their chances at being in the playoffs, just their possible seeding.

It's all speculation anyways. But I'd like to see it play out that way just to find out the answer.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: November 08, 2018, 04:29:31 PM »

If Notre Dame loses Michigan moves to third in the rankings. They can only drop if they lose.

Again, we disagree.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #980 on: November 08, 2018, 04:38:11 PM »

Again, we disagree.
Good. Because your argument makes no sense.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #981 on: November 08, 2018, 04:38:53 PM »

Why? Aren't one weeks rankings supposed to be independent of the last?  If so, I'd wager an uninspired Michigan win over Rutgers plus a Georgia massacre of Auburn could well switch them. 
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: November 08, 2018, 04:57:44 PM »

Why? Aren't one weeks rankings supposed to be independent of the last?  If so, I'd wager an uninspired Michigan win over Rutgers plus a Georgia massacre of Auburn could well switch them.

Yep.

I've been told this for several years now by some folks here that 'each week's rankings are independent'. Sometimes I think it's a matter of convenience for them to forget what they've said over and over when someone's argument makes no sense.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #983 on: November 08, 2018, 05:49:06 PM »

Not if Notre Dame wins.
And Not if Notre Dame losesn because Michigan still has the better resume over Georgia. The Bulldogs would be in the final four, though. See WhiskeyPriest’s post.
Michigan won’t be hurt by a Notre Dame loss. But Georgia(and Alabama) is hoping the Irish fall.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #984 on: November 08, 2018, 05:55:24 PM »

So to be clear it's your argument that as long as Notre Dame and Michigan keep winning (no matter what kind of win it is) there's no way for Georgia to leap Michigan.  I don't believe the committee thinks that way but you may be right. 
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: November 08, 2018, 06:07:42 PM »

The Committee has said the gap between Meatchicken and Georgia is razor thin, so yes the two could.easily switch places. But unless.Georgia beats Alabama, they would not finish ahead of a one loss Big Whatever team. And if they do Alabama becomes the issue for Meatchicken.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #986 on: November 08, 2018, 06:55:07 PM »

I don't believe the committee thinks that way
And you would be correct...at least by what they have told us.
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #987 on: November 08, 2018, 07:26:26 PM »

To Quote  Margaret Hamilton, "What a World, What a World..."

Matt Fink
Stephen Carr
Michael Pittman
Joseph Lewis
Randal Grimes
Daniel Imatorbhebhe
Jacob Daniel
Oluwole Betiku
Caleb Tremblay
Porter Gustin
Solomon Tuliaupupu
Tayler Katoa
Jack Jones
Greg Johnson
Bubba Bolden
Ykili Ross
Isaiah Pola-Mao
Talanoa Hufanga
Isaac Taylor-Stuart
Chase McGrath

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #988 on: November 08, 2018, 08:03:08 PM »

So to be clear it's your argument that as long as Notre Dame and Michigan keep winning (no matter what kind of win it is) there's no way for Georgia to leap Michigan. 
That is not my argument but I would agree with that.
I don't believe the committee thinks that way but you may be right.
I think unless Michigan loses it is in the playoff no matter what other teams above or below them do.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #989 on: November 08, 2018, 11:02:03 PM »

The Committee has said the gap between Meatchicken and Georgia is razor thin, so yes the two could.easily switch places. But unless.Georgia beats Alabama, they would not finish ahead of a one loss Big Whatever team. And if they do Alabama becomes the issue for Meatchicken.
This discussion began after Cargo maintained a Notre Dame loss would hurt Michigan.
As you pointed out, more succinctly than me, a Notre Dame loss HELPS Michigan make the playoffs.

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 329