Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 258714 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #2910 on: November 08, 2019, 01:19:16 PM »

Chase Young out for the Maryland game due to an unspecified NCAA issue.dating back to last year.

One way you know your team sucks: other teams choose your game to discipline player for events dating back a year.
I'm past the point of taking umbrage.

whats the outrage/umbrage #

how big was the loan?

a couple hundred bucks, well ok, a kid needs some dough for taking his best girl out after the big game. 

But if its sizable dough...

and where did he get the dough to pay back the loan, was it from an adavance of a commission at his no show job down at Auto-World of Colunbus?

Couldn't he get a loan from Deutsche Bank?

They'll lend to anybody.

Evn dead-beat grifters with a long history of defaults.

I'm just heartened  THE is investigating THE matter.
I believe Maryland alum yankguy was responding to the second part of my post.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: November 08, 2019, 01:20:12 PM »

Chase Young out for the Maryland game due to an unspecified NCAA issue.dating back to last year.

One way you know your team sucks: other teams choose your game to discipline player for events dating back a year.

how big was the loan?

a couple hundred bucks, well ok, a kid needs some dough for taking his best girl out after the big game. 

and where did he get the dough to pay back the loan, was it from an adavance of a commission at his no show job down at Auto-World of Colunbus?

They'll lend to anybody.

Banks, You would think the greatest football player ever with millions coming his way could get 
a line of credit at the local credit union, No?
That would be a clear violation of NCAA rules you stupid, stupid man.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: November 08, 2019, 01:29:41 PM »

how big was the loan?

They'll lend to anybody.

Yes.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: November 08, 2019, 01:48:59 PM »

how big was the loan?

They'll lend to anybody.

Boz I understood your point about THE's timing the penalty on itself (and referred to it in my post).

No one can accuse THE of turtling!!!

Harrumph!

Serious question re athletes and loans.

Can student athletes have credit cards and if yes are they strictly limited as to lines and the ability to borrow against the line?

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: November 08, 2019, 02:10:00 PM »

how big was the loan?

They'll lend to anybody.

Boz I understood your point about THE's timing the penalty on itself (and referred to it in my post).

Harrumph!

Can student athletes have credit cards and if yes are they strictly limited as to lines and the ability to borrow against the line?
They can get benefits available to anyone else on the same terms available to anyone else.

Despite my joke, the timing of Young's suspension is tied.to when THE learned of it. Aside from putting NCAA enforcement in the hands of a stupid stupid man the only way THE gets in trouble for this would be if they continued to play him after learning of the issue.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: November 08, 2019, 02:32:31 PM »

how big was the loan?

They'll lend to anybody.

Harrumph!

They can get benefits available to anyone else on the same terms available to anyone else.

Despite my joke, the timing of Young's suspension is tied.to when THE learned of it. Aside from putting NCAA enforcement in the hands of a stupid stupid man the only way THE gets in trouble for this would be if they continued to play him after learning of the issue.

Just to clarify, so Deej's comment about the kid getting a line of credit at a local financial institution would be fine, as long as said FI, made loans/lines avaialble to other students. And if said FI made a loan based on sound underwriting standards, it could theoretically lend a student-athlete a large amount based on what he/she could pay back based on presumably future earnings, and in this case, the future earnings of a likely 1st round draft pick.

As an aside I don't keep up with college scandals as much as I used to. as I've discovered other areas to take umbrage with.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: November 08, 2019, 02:45:09 PM »

how big was the loan?

They'll lend to anybody.

Harrumph!

Just to clarify, so Deej's comment about the kid getting a line of credit at a local financial institution would be fine, as long as said FI, made loans/lines avaialble to other students. And if said FI made a loan based on sound underwriting standards, it could theoretically lend a student-athlete a large amount based on what he/she could pay back based on presumably future earnings, and in this case, the future earnings of a likely 1st round draft pick.

As an aside I don't keep up with college scandals as much as I used to. as I've discovered other areas to take umbrage with.
Yes. It.was that stupid stupid man's introduction of the potential of a player in the future earning millions of dollars into the equation that made it an NCAA violation. He is often too stupid to understand his own arguments. No disrespect meant, but it must suck to be that stupid.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: November 08, 2019, 02:48:24 PM »

Harry Lime wrote:

I think switching from Tressell to Meyer had something to do with the change,  at least for THE. Tressell was hired in part because Cooper was not getting Ohio players to stay home. Tressell had spent years at YSU romancing in state coaches to get and identify second tier players for YSU. But the times have changed, and THE has changed.

Meyer changed the Big Ten Recruiting posture thanks, in part, to influx of money the conference enjoys from the Big Ten Network. His success won a NC and makes him the most “ rumored nex hire” every time a job opening stirs twitter talk.
But his success has some drawbacks to schools hunting for a coach.
Namely; $$$ .
Florida State says it has no interest.
USC was reported to have named a new Athletic Director last week, Mike Bohn from Cincinnati .
But  Bohn is having second thoughts, according to sources.

The word is new USC president Carol Folt informed Bohn he would not be able to hire Urban Meyer as the next football coach. That is considered a dealbreaker for Bohn,according to news sources who reported Bohn  informed USC of his decision but sources said university officials are still talking to him so the situation could still go either way.

Several athletic directors turned the job down because they were told Meyer was not an option, sources said. Bohn apparently was not informed until after he agreed to take the job.

It looks like the combination of a high salary along with meeting Meyer’s budget needs for recruiting
May not sit well for PAC 12 and other conferences that don’t have a cash cow like the Big Ten Network. Just a thought.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: November 08, 2019, 03:53:04 PM »

when you fire a guy after only 21 games his successor is going to want not only a nice salary but a huge buyout package as well.

It will certainly give the next guy pause
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: November 08, 2019, 03:56:10 PM »

With the rainy season approaching, I'm going to need a replacement umbrage soon.
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: November 08, 2019, 03:57:38 PM »

I suspect Deej knows the numbers, but feels that withou including Florida's huge elder population, the states' population totals are more in line.
I suspect he is just a Fucking Idiot and has no clue what he is talking about.

The only thing inaccurate about RedJim's post is he should have rounded down for
 Florida's population.

There are a fair number of schools that share THE's advantage of being the only Power 5 school in the state. Which is why Rutgers has been so dominant over the years.

2021 Florida RIVALS has the state at 35 four star and higher prospects. Ohio has 8.

Doing the actual "MATH" that would put the ratio at a little over 4-1. Which somewhat belies the population difference of roughly 2-1 the Skippy interjected as being relevant.

Please don't make me go and find out the math about how many leave the state of Florida as compared to Ohio.

I think the bottom line is as someone, I forget who, suggested that going out of State is a big factor for some of these schools and Florida State doesn't seem to do that very well.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: November 08, 2019, 05:07:31 PM »

I suspect Deej knows the numbers, but feels that withou including Florida's huge elder population, the states' population totals are more in line.
I suspect he is just a Fucking Idiot and has no clue what he is talking about.

The only thing inaccurate about RedJim's post is he should have rounded down for
 Florida's population.

There are a fair number of schools that share THE's advantage of being the only Power 5 school in the state. Which is why Rutgers has been so dominant over the years.

2021 Florida RIVALS has the state at 35 four star and higher prospects. Ohio has 8.

Doing the actual "MATH" that would put the ratio at a little over 4-1. Which somewhat belies the population difference of roughly 2-1 the Skippy interjected as being relevant.
The two ratios are not comparable. Florida’s advantage over Ohio is the result of having twice the number of High School football players. Obviously it would have more superior players (at least on paper).
But it is a far cry from citing potential future players in stead of tracking what actually happened.
When you do that the numbers are different, but consistent.

Share of Blue Chip Recruits-SB Nation

State   '17          '16          '15          '14           '13
Texas   14.2%   15.3%   13.7%   11.6%   14.1%
Florida   12.7%   13.9%   14.6%   13.2%   14.1%
California   10.6%   13.3%   12.9%   10.7%   12.6%
Georgia   10.0%   7.7%   9.9%            7.2%    7.7%
Ohio           4.8%   3.5%           5.0%   4.7%            5.8%
Alabama   4.5%   2.4%           3.5%   3.4%            4.0%
Virginia   4.5%   1.8%.     3.8%   3.1%            4.0%
Louisiana   3.6%   6.2%           3.8%   5.0%            3.7%
Michigan   3.0%   2.7%.     1.2%   1.3

It is isn’t Rocket Science to infer that to win consistently you need to recruit globally, especially given the built in geographical advantage  in place for the SEC and the PAC 12.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football-recruiting/2016/6/28/12040586/rankings-state-stars-florida-texas-california

« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 05:10:50 PM by Espnthree »

jbottle

• View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: November 09, 2019, 12:57:05 AM »

Number Munchers, lol, I don’t do down like that...

Love this Ohio Rep:  “That was just Stroussy bing Stroussy...”—abbberant tOSU sex deviant/pedophile, dead, self-righteous suicide...

Well played, tOSU, SWEATINVEST era, shockmode, where does the Clorox come in???

Well, too late now, great big yuck, for decades or since statehood, sorry limey, you are one of the good ones, I presume you didn’t officiate??

Pathetic.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: November 09, 2019, 02:13:22 AM »

Number Munchers, lol, I don’t do down like that...

Love this Ohio Rep:  “That was just Stroussy bing Stroussy...”—abbberant tOSU sex deviant/pedophile, dead, self-righteous suicide...

Well played, tOSU, SWEATINVEST era, shockmode, where does the Clorox come in???

Well, too late now, great big yuck, for decades or since statehood, sorry limey, you are one of the good ones, I presume you didn’t officiate??

Pathetic.
On the positive side, it.gave Jordan practice at ignoring abhorrent behavior.

jbottle

• View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: November 09, 2019, 01:32:40 PM »

Sandusky State on the ropes with Goldfers...
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 329