Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
December 13, 2017, 11:05:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: With Dixon out for the season, who will win the Heisman?
Tim Tebow
Darren McFadden
Matt Ryan
Chase Daniel
Other

Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 401
  Print  
Author Topic: College Football  (Read 29495 times)
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5865 on: December 06, 2017, 02:50:39 PM »

But he was too friggin intense to the point of insanity. I liked him.
I had a hard time with that sort of stuff. Our football coach used to gather us around him after a hard practice and he would start with the rah, rah, go, go stuff. And this was before we went in to shower! He would look out over the the huddle and see me leaning on some guys back on the outside of the huddle with an expression of pure boredom on my face and not participating in the rah rah at all. It made him so mad that he cornered me in the locker room one day and sat me down to ask “What the fuck is wrong with you?” (more or less). Grin

So what the fuck is wrong with you?
DeeJ

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5866 on: December 06, 2017, 04:16:08 PM »

Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Cool Huh Huh Tongue Embarrassed Embarrassed Undecided Undecided Cry Cry
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5867 on: December 06, 2017, 07:30:28 PM »

I was joking. I'm sure D'man knows that.
DeeJ

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5868 on: December 06, 2017, 08:02:53 PM »

Likewise, I'm sure. Wink
Driver125
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5869 on: December 06, 2017, 11:56:49 PM »

Yes, I know. I just wasn’t into the that false ramping up of the emotions. I was only into playing the game. The rest of that rah, rah shit didn’t interest me at all. I played as hard as I could whenever I took the field. Nobody hated to lose more than me (particularly when I was younger). I’d run over my own brother if he happened to be on the other side. Thank heavens I have obtained a little better balance on winning and losing now with the passage of time. That Lombardi thing about winning being the only thing is wrong. If you have given the very best effort that you can then that’s all you can do. Losing is sometimes just part of the game. If you have given your very best then that is all you can do. So say I, anyway…..
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 12:04:47 AM by Driver125 » Logged
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5870 on: December 07, 2017, 08:27:14 AM »

Yes, I know. I just wasn’t into the that false ramping up of the emotions. I was only into playing the game. The rest of that rah, rah shit didn’t interest me at all. I played as hard as I could whenever I took the field. Nobody hated to lose more than me (particularly when I was younger). I’d run over my own brother if he happened to be on the other side. Thank heavens I have obtained a little better balance on winning and losing now with the passage of time. That Lombardi thing about winning being the only thing is wrong. If you have given the very best effort that you can then that’s all you can do. Losing is sometimes just part of the game. If you have given your very best then that is all you can do. So say I, anyway…..

Totally understand bro. I didn't have to have the coach pump me up football made me pumped on its own. I've had coaches that were low key and some that verged on, like I said, insanity. And some, somewhere in the middle.

It's funny too because I've coached baseball on the lower levels, Little League and Senior League and was one of those low key teacher types that all the parents love. Football on the other hand gets me pumped. Just the way it is. Baseball, as George Carlin explained, is a calmer game.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:28:59 AM by CaptainCargo » Logged
Driver125
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5871 on: December 07, 2017, 09:02:16 AM »

Baseball, as George Carlin explained, is a calmer game.
Still, every once in awhile, you see one of these insane people who are coaching little league teams going off and screaming at the kids. Maybe they think they are Earl Weaver or something. If that ever happened with a child of mine the guy would be coaching from a horizontal position in about thirty seconds. It seems to me that coaching at that level is the best place in the world to instruct about what is really important (the game) and how to play it ethically and reasonably (while still having maximum fun!).
I didn't have to have the coach pump me up football made me pumped on its own.
Too true friend…I loved playing football with a passion.
I've had coaches that were low key and some that verged on, like I said, insanity. And some, somewhere in the middle.
Yep….And screaming at me didn’t work at all. Tell me what you want, and if I didn't do it sit me down until I did what you want.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 09:09:18 AM by Driver125 » Logged
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5872 on: December 07, 2017, 09:45:27 AM »

https://n.rivals.com/news/take-two-did-the-cfb-playoff-get-it-right-by-leaving-out-ohio-state-

KEVIN NOON:

“I am not going to say that Ohio State was a team without faults. It had a couple of faults with one major one (the Iowa loss). But I also feel as if the committee basically threw away everything that it had said it valued in the past. Conference champion? Doesn’t matter. Thirteenth data point? Nope. Strong resume? Get that out of here. No, they just went to the eye test and apparently ‘the eyes’ had nothing but love for Alabama in what should have been an easy determination that Ohio State checked off more boxes in terms of playoff criteria.

“If you don’t want to get left out of the playoff, don’t lose a league game by 31 points, or any game by 31 points, that much is simple and that much is universal here. For everyone that is complaining about Mercer on the Alabama schedule, there was the opening game against Florida State and nobody could have predicted the Noles would come tumbling down to mediocrity with one injury. But it sure does appear that the committee would rather just see ‘big margins of victory’ (game control or whatever the made-up metric is called these days) than parity and a top-heavy SEC allowed for Alabama (along with name-brand and a little stumping by its head coach) to only be lightly tested this season and claim big victories over Mississippi State, LSU and Fresno State.

“The committee got it wrong. Very wrong.”

MIKE FARRELL:

“Based on last year, Ohio State didn’t get screwed. If it’s about the four best teams, then Alabama had the better resume, statistically, when you look at it they had one loss instead of two. The Iowa loss was a bad loss. Alabama beat more bowl-eligible teams than Ohio State did. The Crimson Tide beat an equal number of ranked teams as the Buckeyes.

“One loss versus two, the one-loss team should get in. I don’t think they got screwed at all. Ohio State got its gift last year by getting in. I don’t think it deserves two in a row.”

CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5873 on: December 07, 2017, 09:49:24 AM »

Baseball, as George Carlin explained, is a calmer game.
Still, every once in awhile, you see one of these insane people who are coaching little league teams going off and screaming at the kids. Maybe they think they are Earl Weaver or something. If that ever happened with a child of mine the guy would be coaching from a horizontal position in about thirty seconds. It seems to me that coaching at that level is the best place in the world to instruct about what is really important (the game) and how to play it ethically and reasonably (while still having maximum fun!).
I didn't have to have the coach pump me up football made me pumped on its own.
Too true friend…I loved playing football with a passion.
I've had coaches that were low key and some that verged on, like I said, insanity. And some, somewhere in the middle.
Yep….And screaming at me didn’t work at all. Tell me what you want, and if I didn't do it sit me down until I did what you want.

Back in the day, more often than not I'd have some dad yelling at his kid from the bleachers. That used to annoy me more than the occasional coach yelling.

It used to annoy me more because there was very little I could do about the Dad. But if I saw a coach getting out of line I could talk to him after the game and be a little more direct about it.
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5874 on: December 07, 2017, 10:03:28 AM »

https://tennessee.rivals.com/news/tennessee-offers-job-to-alabama-dc-jeremy-pruitt

Another Bama of Saban's defensive coordinators tabbed.

A lot of folks don't realize that Dantonio coached DBs under Nicky for four years.

That Tennessee job is a tough gig. Butch had a couple of killer recruiting classes and still couldn't make it click.

Just goes to show blue chip athletes isn't the only thing a program needs to be successful.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:05:02 AM by CaptainCargo » Logged
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5875 on: December 07, 2017, 10:24:04 AM »

….And screaming at me didn’t work at all. Tell me what you want, and if I didn't do it sit me down until I did what you want.

Ths was my least favorite type of coach.  Usually someone with insecurity issues of some sort.  Had a JV  basketball coach that would scream at us daily and punish kids through humiliation--like having them run wind sprints during a game for a missed assignment. 

The trick as you alluded to before is in identifying the style that each kid needs.  Some people probably do need to be yelled at, some people probably do need to be pumped up and inspired in some way.  If you have one style, you are going to be less effective.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5876 on: December 07, 2017, 10:56:21 AM »

https://n.rivals.com/news/take-two-did-the-cfb-playoff-get-it-right-by-leaving-out-ohio-state-

KEVIN NOON:

“I am not going to say that Ohio State was a team without faults. It had a couple of faults with one major one (the Iowa loss). But I also feel as if the committee basically threw away everything that it had said it valued in the past. Conference champion? Doesn’t matter. Thirteenth data point? Nope. Strong resume? Get that out of here. No, they just went to the eye test and apparently ‘the eyes’ had nothing but love for Alabama in what should have been an easy determination that Ohio State checked off more boxes in terms of playoff criteria.

“If you don’t want to get left out of the playoff, don’t lose a league game by 31 points, or any game by 31 points, that much is simple and that much is universal here. For everyone that is complaining about Mercer on the Alabama schedule, there was the opening game against Florida State and nobody could have predicted the Noles would come tumbling down to mediocrity with one injury. But it sure does appear that the committee would rather just see ‘big margins of victory’ (game control or whatever the made-up metric is called these days) than parity and a top-heavy SEC allowed for Alabama (along with name-brand and a little stumping by its head coach) to only be lightly tested this season and claim big victories over Mississippi State, LSU and Fresno State.

MIKE FARRELL:

“Based on last year, Ohio State didn’t get screwed. If it’s about the four best teams, then Alabama had the better resume, statistically, when you look at it they had one loss instead of two. The Iowa loss was a bad loss. Alabama beat more bowl-eligible teams than Ohio State did. The Crimson Tide beat an equal number of ranked teams as the Buckeyes.

“One loss versus two, the one-loss team should get in. I don’t think they got screwed at all. Ohio State got its gift last year by getting in. I don’t think it deserves two in a row.”

Both very good arguments, although I take issue with some of the things B J Hunnicut says, specifically drawing a comparison between OSU and Alabama's wins. Beating the 24th ranked team in the country and beating tbr 4th ranked team are not equivalent. But that.second loss to an unranked team is hard.to get around

What does it matter?  All is grace.
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5877 on: December 07, 2017, 11:49:52 AM »

….And screaming at me didn’t work at all. Tell me what you want, and if I didn't do it sit me down until I did what you want.

Ths was my least favorite type of coach.  Usually someone with insecurity issues of some sort.  Had a JV  basketball coach that would scream at us daily and punish kids through humiliation--like having them run wind sprints during a game for a missed assignment. 

The trick as you alluded to before is in identifying the style that each kid needs.  Some people probably do need to be yelled at, some people probably do need to be pumped up and inspired in some way.  If you have one style, you are going to be less effective.

In wrestling season the team ran for twenty full minutes with full sweats through the school at the end where the steps are before practice.

Up the steps, down the aisle to the other set of steps, down them, run to the first stairway again and back up it.

There was a group of four, I was a junior and the other guys were seniors. We'd lap everyone else at least a couple of times, some guys we'd lap four or five times. Then we'd run it again after practice. That would be different with wind sprints for five minutes followed by ten minutes of running the steps again. We practiced above the pool where it was hotter than a MOFO.

Then it was ride the late bus home, do my farm chores, then run up the road past the next farmers house, about a mile, and then run back. Did the same thing before school in the morning. Sometimes I'd even run down to the next bus stop maybe about a quarter mile away. Wrestling was all about what kind of shape you were in. You don't get to call timeouts in wrestling or sit on the bench while the offense was on the field. It was you and the other guy.
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5878 on: December 07, 2017, 12:09:20 PM »

KEVIN NOON:

MIKE FARRELL:

Both very good arguments, although I take issue with some of the things B J Hunnicut says, specifically drawing a comparison between OSU and Alabama's wins. Beating the 24th ranked team in the country and beating tbr 4th ranked team are not equivalent. But that.second loss to an unranked team is hard.to get around

Sometimes you have to do the eye test. And even an un-played game projection test which is admittedly not an actual stat. But if your true purpose is to get the 'best' teams in and you are allowed to ignore things like head-to-head, Conference Championships and so on(which the Committee has clearly indicated since the Payoff's inception something they are willing to do, then it can't ever be just stats, you have to put a little of your gut in there.

For instance Bama didn't play Wisconsin. But if they did, what would be the odds that they lost that game? So assuming a win, then OSU's win while of course not erased, may not be quite as killer and black and white as some might think. Reasoning the whole equation is sometimes not as cut and dried as one might think and impossible to ever be 100% accurate. In the end I think the Committee got it right, for which I commend them(for a change). Whether they and I are actually right we'll have to wait and see.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 12:14:37 PM by CaptainCargo » Logged
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5879 on: December 07, 2017, 12:52:49 PM »

Here is the thing about assuming wins: I would have.assumed OSU would have beaten. Iowa and ClemSIN would have beaten Shracuse.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 401
  Print  

Jump to: