Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 250328 times)

Espnthree

• View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #3300 on: December 11, 2019, 12:04:21 PM »

The playoff field was so obvious this year talk of expansion has been close to non-existent.
But writer Stewart Mandel had a few pertinent observations when asked.
One.
Neither the PAC12 nor the SEC are interested
Two.
A complicated set of intertwining contracts (ESPN’s main one with the CFP, ESPN’s individual deals with the Rose, Sugar and Orange Bowls; those bowls’ contracts with their respective conference partners) that don’t expire for six more years.

But beyond that:
Three.
Just 11 teams( all power 5) have filled the 24 spots in the 6 years of the CFP.
If we had an 8 team playoff in the same span then the 48 spots would have been filled (using P5 champions and 6 non power 5 teams and  CFP rankings) by just 20 different P5 teams.
If college football is experiencing attendance drop offs what happens when 2/3rds the power five teams face the reality of no playoff possibility and reduced Bowl opportunities? 

« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 12:06:03 PM by Espnthree »

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: December 11, 2019, 12:55:20 PM »

Once.again, you seem to think that an expansion of the playoffs means an end bowl system. I recall a similar argument against the playoffs themselves.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: December 11, 2019, 02:31:55 PM »

Once.again, you seem to think that an expansion of the playoffs means an end bowl system. I recall a similar argument against the playoffs themselves.
Well.
The current  CFP was structured around the Bowl System to insure its success. As evidenced by the ESPN contracts with with still six years to run.
The point Mandel was making is with two thirds of the power five conference teams likely to be left out of an8 team playoff the drop -off in attendance will be significant.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: December 12, 2019, 09:41:25 AM »

Well.
The current  CFP was structured around the Bowl System to insure its success. As evidenced by the ESPN contracts with with still six years to run.
The point Mandel was making is with two thirds of the power five conference teams likely to be left out of an8 team playoff the drop -off in attendance will be significant.

Are we talking about lower attendance for the other bowl games or the newly acquired four if it goes to eight? Or both?
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: December 12, 2019, 11:18:41 AM »

Well.

Are we talking about lower attendance for the other bowl games or the newly acquired four if it goes to eight? Or both?
The regular season, then the Bowls

With  2/3rds of power five teams likely out of bowl contention less interest in the last part of the conference schedules.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: December 12, 2019, 12:42:33 PM »

It's possible I suppose. But most college towns have their permanent fans more of less. So I wouldn't overly worry about attendance. And the TV money is the lion's share of the $$ right? But you have a point, how much of an impact it would make is uncertain.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: December 12, 2019, 12:46:03 PM »

Personally I think the best option/s isn't expanding to 8 teams. Rather 5 or 6 would make more sense. If 5 then #4 and 5 playoff two weeks after the conference CGs. and they get to play #1. If expanding to 6 then the top 2 teams get a bye and 3-6 playoff under the same scenario as the 5 team version. With the winners getting the #1 and 2 seeds.

jbottle

• View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: December 12, 2019, 01:37:41 PM »

What about 7 & 8 tho??

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: December 12, 2019, 01:42:11 PM »

7&8 are doable too just eliminate the off week after the GCs. In both all Power Five champs would get in But the extra games for some teams would be taxing to the players IMO. Also there would have to be an agreement between the Power Five conferences to allow shuffling to at least try to prevent conference championship re-matches. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 01:45:39 PM by CaptainCargo »

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: December 12, 2019, 03:15:33 PM »

For the life of me I can't imagine why you'd want to expand the field to 8 teams in a 4-2-1 playoff system, which would allow for the full paricipation of all the conferences and all the teams with a decent shot at a championship to get a shot, and would entail a cumbersome and grueling one more week of football when you can have the current 4-team, 2-1, format determined by 13 committee members holed up in a 5-star resort sucking down cocktails. Although the 4 additional football games and TV rights might cover the cost of the commitee getting room upgrades and comped mini-bar privledges.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: December 12, 2019, 06:39:13 PM »

I say make the kids play additional games before they leave school without degrees.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: December 12, 2019, 06:39:44 PM »

Oh, wait - maybe that's just hoops

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: December 12, 2019, 08:24:12 PM »

For the life of me I can't imagine why you'd want to expand the field to 8 teams in a 4-2-1 playoff system, which would allow for the full paricipation of all the conferences and all the teams with a decent shot at a championship to get a shot, and would entail a cumbersome and grueling one more week of football when you can have the current 4-team, 2-1, format determined by 13 committee members holed up in a 5-star resort sucking down cocktails. Although the 4 additional football games and TV rights might cover the cost of the commitee getting room upgrades and comped mini-bar privledges.

LOL A master of sarcasm Rich.

Me personally I like the 5 or 6 team playoff. Eight wouldn't end my world though.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: December 13, 2019, 12:06:57 PM »

LOL A master of sarcasm Rich.

Me personally I like the 5 or 6 team playoff. Eight wouldn't end my world though.
How does 5 work? A single play in game? It would have to be at least one week before the semis. Co-opt the Boca Raton Bowl?
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: December 13, 2019, 12:10:18 PM »

An 8 team playoff would use four of the NY6, play an extra round in early January. I note that there is already a two week gap between the semis and the championship game. Suspicious minds may think they are actually trying to accustom us to the schedule of an 8 team field.

Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 329