Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 250685 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #3495 on: January 02, 2020, 12:45:55 PM »

So, using the final CFP rankings and adding in Memphis an 8 team playoff would be
LSU
tOSU
Clem
Okla
Oregon
Georgia
Wisconsin
Memphis

The first question is how many of those teams could win three times?
Answer is only the top three
Next who would care to watch LSU beat Memphis or tOSU play Wisconsin a third time.?
Answer is not many.
Who would pay to travel to watch those games?
Answer is even fewer.
Well, it is a mistake to set policy for all seasons based upon how that policy would function in a single instance. Most years would not have a rematch of a rematch in the first round. That being said, there is a reason why I think 6 teams would be better than 8. I can think of no arguments.against 6 that are not also applicable to 8 - except that, for this year, the team I consider to be the best team in the country would have to win 3 games. Although that would be ameliorated by getting to watch ClemSIN play Georgia.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: January 02, 2020, 12:52:03 PM »

And I’m not making an argument, just laying out objective facts, not matters in dispute, I get nostagia for the way things *used to be* but I’m not going to endorse lousy practices...in a bang/bang play, bang you were in and bang you are gone, sfw??

One of my friends had a sister married to a Purdue football player. Preseason his senior year in practice, gets hit while snapping the ball and his neck is broken. Died right on the practice field.
So no body ....
This list of college players killed while playing football does not match your story. Perhaps you have the wrong team? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_football_players_who_died_during_their_careers

Jim,  You think someone would forget the school it happened at?

Out of curiosity, what is your level of confidence that Wikipedia's listing is complete?
Personally I trust wikipedia's over anyone's convenient example from personal experience posted on the internet. I always assume those are lies and am rarely disappointed.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: January 02, 2020, 12:56:31 PM »

So, using the final CFP rankings and adding in Memphis an 8 team playoff would be
LSU
tOSU
Clem
Okla
Oregon
Georgia
Wisconsin
Memphis

Next who would care to watch LSU beat Memphis or tOSU play Wisconsin a third time.?
Answer is not many.
Answer is even fewer.
Well, it is a mistake to set policy for all seasons based upon how that policy would function in a single instance. Most years would not have a rematch of a rematch in the first round. That being said, there is a reason why I think 6 teams would be better than 8. I can think of no arguments.against 6 that are not also applicable to 8 - except that, for this year, the team I consider to be the best team in the country would have to win 3 games. Although that would be ameliorated by getting to watch ClemSIN play Georgia.
I see no reason why any year would be different than this one.
The elites are consistently better each year with much stronger budgets and recruiting. Six teams only adds one power five team to the mix(unless the Powers buy off the gang of five)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: January 02, 2020, 02:22:48 PM »

Close to 40 years ago, a guy I knew destroyed his leg  and his future during an idiotic "football" drill at Ohio State. Google "Curt Curtis Ohio State".
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 02:24:19 PM by Yankguy1 »
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: January 02, 2020, 02:37:43 PM »

LSU
tOSU
Clem
Okla
Oregon
Georgia
Wisconsin
Memphis

Answer is not many.
Answer is even fewer.
The elites are consistently better each year with much stronger budgets and recruiting. Six teams only adds one power five team to the mix(unless the Powers buy off the gang of five)
Yeah, for the 6 team model to work I just wrote the Gang of 5 out in favor of a 5 Conference champs, one wild card scenario. This year that would have meant Oklahoma - Georgia and ClemSIN - Oregon.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: January 02, 2020, 02:45:13 PM »

LSU
tOSU
Clem
Okla
Oregon
Georgia
Wisconsin
Memphis

Answer is not many.
Answer is even fewer.
Yeah, for the 6 team model to work I just wrote the Gang of 5 out in favor of a 5 Conference champs, one wild card scenario. This year that would have meant Oklahoma - Georgia and ClemSIN - Oregon.
And how do the games play out?

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: January 02, 2020, 02:50:42 PM »

LSU
tOSU
Clem
Okla
Oregon
Georgia
Wisconsin
Memphis

Answer is not many.
Answer is even fewer.
And how do the games play out?
ClemSIN toasts Oregon, Georgia beats Oklahoma. So you still get Tigers/Tigers.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: January 02, 2020, 03:23:57 PM »

ClemSIN toasts  Oregon, Georgia beats Oklahoma. So you still get Tigers/Tigers.

When and where do you play those games?
This year the available Saturdays would have been the 14th and 21st which already had NFL games.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: January 02, 2020, 03:49:33 PM »

God's Conference dominated the bowl season this year. 6 - 2, including winning all three of its NY6 games.

yeah, but "They Suck" is a subjective term.
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: January 02, 2020, 03:50:39 PM »

This year the available Saturdays would have been the 14th and 21st which already had NFL games.
Logistis tbd.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: January 02, 2020, 04:06:04 PM »

Logistis tbd.
No matter how you determine logistics any schedule will reduce the potential tv ratings and the ticket buying interest. Plus it will give the top two teams two weeks of prep and recovery time.
Before we leap to expanding the number of games the NCAA needs to maximize revenues by getting the semis on NYD.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: January 02, 2020, 04:25:07 PM »

Logistis tbd.
No matter how you determine logistics any schedule will reduce the potential tv ratings and the ticket buying interest. Plus it will give the top two teams two weeks of prep and recovery time.
Before we leap to expanding the number of games the NCAA needs to maximize revenues by getting the semis on NYD.
I agree with that last. Are you going to tell the Rose Bowl, or am I?

Either the Rose or the Sugar needs to give up their NYD slot. You might be able to throw money at the PAC or.Big 12, but it comes down to the Big 10 or the SEC blinking and that will be a long, long wait.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: January 02, 2020, 04:41:11 PM »

Logistis tbd.
I agree with that last. Are you going to tell the Rose Bowl, or am I?

Either the Rose or the Sugar needs to give up their NYD slot. You might be able to throw money at the PAC or.Big 12, but it comes down to the Big 10 or the SEC blinking and that will be a long, long wait.
It is a $ number. That satisfies the step Bowls and the Two conferences.
It may be a number that is unattainable. 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: January 02, 2020, 05:47:01 PM »

Old Mississippi has hired.D J Durkins to be defensive coordinator and run its off season conditioning program.  Kiffin promises."killer workouts".

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: January 02, 2020, 06:45:50 PM »

Old Mississippi has hired.D J Durkins to be defensive coordinator and run its off season conditioning program.  Kiffin promises."killer workouts".

I saw this morning that Kiffin had hired him.  I assume him being in charge of offseason conditioning was merely a part of your set up and not actually true?  That would be in poor taste if it were true...and I think even Kiffin is not quite that stupid
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 329