Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 250250 times)

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #3780 on: October 10, 2020, 08:22:12 PM »

Bama's defense getting shredded.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: October 10, 2020, 08:23:42 PM »

Kiffen's got em confused big time.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: October 10, 2020, 10:36:05 PM »

Welcome to the new SEC
Formerly known as the MidAm

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: October 10, 2020, 11:36:41 PM »

Can we finally put to rest  the canard that defense wins anything?

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: October 11, 2020, 02:50:46 AM »

TCU hooked  the Horns!
Don’t expect anything normal in college football.
It’s 2020!

Great game. Fumble at the end. Yes 2020 will be full of surprises.
What are you talking about? The season hasn't started yet. Three weeks from today.

Yeah I hear one of the lesser conferences is planning on playing. The more the merrier.
Yeah, the MAC is back in business.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: October 11, 2020, 06:32:47 PM »

Can we finally put to rest  the canard that defense wins anything?

No.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: October 11, 2020, 06:33:48 PM »

TCU hooked  the Horns!
Don’t expect anything normal in college football.
It’s 2020!

Great game. Fumble at the end. Yes 2020 will be full of surprises.
What are you talking about? The season hasn't started yet. Three weeks from today.

Yeah I hear one of the lesser conferences is planning on playing. The more the merrier.
Yeah, the MAC is back in business.

Well as you know, there are cupcakes and there are cupcakes.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3787 on: October 11, 2020, 07:02:44 PM »

Kiffen exposed several warts on Bama's defense.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: October 20, 2020, 05:32:49 PM »

Well, since the CFB season starts on Saturday, time to roll out my traditional Top 11. It is based off the version I wrote back in August, before conferences started pulling the plug on games and the season. The only real change is downgrading Oklahoma and Texas, both of which I had in the Top 10, and moving PSU out. I was highly skeptical of LSU even before the early season struggles. Anyway.

Highly thought of teams I am do not highly think of and why:

the Pennsylvania State University - Can the PSU replace the as the Big However Many’s top dog? I have my doubts. The Big Red Dog of a QB is a game manager who voids mistakes rather than a top level quarterback, the O Line has potential but gave up an awful lot of sacks and most of PSU’s offense came in three games against putrid defenses. Defensively, they struggled against the pass, despite an elite rush, and their best player is sitting out. They could wind up a Top 10 team, but I think they are a cut below the, and with only playing eight games that leaves them a cut below the top 10.

the Louisiana State University – That is a lot of talent to lose. A. Lot. It may take them some time to gel, and it would not surprise me to see them struggle early in the year. I do not know if they will ever get it entirely together, offensively or defensively.

Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie – What, are they being highly ranked again? They are in an actual conference, playing actual teams for a change. The South Atlantic League is mushy but there are a couple of teams I think have more talent than they do.

Auburn – Bo Nix.

Meatchicken – Because hate.

Pure Prairie League – I think they are out, especially at this point. Okie State may still sneak in, but they have not been impressive overall, and I think both Texas and Oklahoma will beat them. Which leaves the Conference with a bunch of two loss teams.

11. USC

SOMEONE is winning the PAWCP. I got two choices. One of these days USC will live up to my expectations, even if I think they made a mistake in keeping Helton. It is almost like they chose to keep him one more year to see if some former coach might get bored with being a studio host for Fox, or something. I like Slovis, and while I do not now who will get the nod at RB they have a lot of good options. They have some excellent receiving talent, including a guy named Amon-Ra and another named Bru which is something that appeals to me. Worry about the defense, though. It has issues in 2019 and they have a new D Coordinator, which could make the lack of early season games problematic. They actually benefit from the reduced schedule quite a bit – they had a game against Alabama cancelled.

10. Wisconsin.

SOMEONE is winning the West and losing to the in the Big However Many championship game. Why not them?

9. Oregon

SOMEONE is winning the PAWCP. I got two choices. Sure, they underachieved last year with Herbert at the QB, and there is a chance offensively they will slide into the Shough of Despond, but they have at least one stud on the O Line and some excellent skill players around the new QB. Most of their very good defense returns – I am loving the name Kayvon Thibodeaux. Their schedule does not have any real stud games – like USC, they had a game against a Top 5 team COVID out on them. I can see them unbeaten going into the PAWCP championship game against USC. Or losing twice if the offense does not click.

8. Georgia

I like their defense, as always, and they will have a running game. Their quarterback, Stetson Bennet IV, sounds like an attorney for a quarterback, not an actual quarterback. He has White, Cook, and Pickens around him, although the O Line needs to regroup, fast. Most of the Defensive talent returns from a top flight defense. If the offense can catch up to that defense, just a little, they could be special. The only problem: they have already lost to Alabama once, which leaves them zero room for error – and leaves them in the unenviable position of needing to beat Alabama in the God’s Conference Championship game to avoid a second loss. It is not Smart to bet on any Saban assistant beating him. Not Smart at all.

7. Florida

I guess Trask is the top returning QB in God’s Conference. That loss to TAMU will gut them, though. The Gator offense will be better than it has in past years. They need to beat Georgia, but even if they do that one loss means they will have to beat Alabama to make the playoffs.

6. Miami

They cannot stay on the same field as ClemSIN, but then, who in the South Atlantic League can? The senior transfer QB helps, but they still have an iffy run game, with a questionable offensive line. Schedule-wise, they still have some technically ranked team to play in front of them, but I think those teams being ranked are as much a function of them actually playing than their talent.

5. Texas A&M

I write these backwards, so here is where it starts to get sketchy. I have no real feeling about what team is going to wind up, functionally, fourth when the season is over. Some of the teams I had considered here, back before COVID upended everything, now have two, or will eventually have two, losses – Oklahoma, Texas, Georgia, Florida. Given that, my best guess is one of the teams that doesn’t play in the conference championship game – TAMU, Penn State – sneaks in, unless a PAWCP team runs the table. So, while I am not huge on them – hate their QB – TAMU is my placeholder.  

4. Alabama

They are not #1 because unlike the two teams ahead of them they are replacing their quarterback. That is pretty much it. Jones will be good enough to lead them to a great season, but I do not know if he can elevate their season. They have the receiving group and running game to make a good quarterback great, but there will come a time in the season where they will need Jones to be the man. Defensively, they have pro level talent everywhere and while it may take some time for it all to jell – the lack of the opening game cupcake buffet could lead to some rough early games – but I think the God’s Conference West may be a little down this year – LSU lost a LOT and it would not surprise me to see them struggle early, Auburn has Bo Nix as a quarterback, the egregious Mike Leach has opted to coach in the only place arguably more God-forsaken than Pullman Washington and I expect him to sink that program, Arkansas and Missississippi remain, respectively Arkansas and Missississippi, so their biggest games are TAMU and Georgia in their first four games. TAMU is merely solid, with an iffy quarterback, and Georgia is good, and should be able to stay with Bama for a half, but after that…. Pencil them into the playoffs.

3. the ©

The Big However Many East is loaded, though the draws a weak cross conference schedule and are fortunate that the trip to PSU is likely to be in front of a sub-Maryland level of attendees, if any one. They have to replace Chase Young on defense, and both corners went in the first round of the NFL draft, but, with apologies to certain God’s Conference teams, the has been CB U for quite a few years now, and while Young’s disruption was unique, the Defensive line has experienced, talented players all across it. The loss I am most worried about, for the, is Dobbins the free elf. Master Teague has a great name but lacks vision, and he was hurt in the spring. They may wind up with Trey Sermon as the lead back. I think Dobbins was underappreciated last year – they were an open wheel rout to him away from plying LSU in the championship game last year. The biggest thing in the’s favor is the returning Quarterback, which is always a plus unless your quarterback is Bo Nix. They also return their best wideout in Olave and a lot of talented kids to work in. I like their chances to run the table in the Big However Many.

2. ClemSIN

They have the best returning talent, including the best quarterback in the country and odds on Heisman favorite (non-MSU Division) in Trevor Lawrence. They also got a break when the underrated Etienne returned. They do have to replace most of the O line, and the loss of Justyn Ross and Tee Higgins is an issue, but SWINEy has been paying, elite highschoolers a lot of money to come to Clemson recruiting a lot of high caliber talent, and with the best QB prospect since Baker Mayfield Andrew Luck throwing to them, the new guys should fit in well. Defenisvely, they lost Isaiah Simmons and 3/4 of their Defensive Backs, but they have probably the best Defensive Coordinator in the country, and as noted earlier, the paid recruits are there. The South Atlantic League is improving, but it is still from 2 through 14 (temporarily 15) behind God’s Conference and the Big Whatever among the major conferences – I expect the typical early season Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie hype, and the typical running headlong into the reality that they have been a first rate second tier program for a while - so ClemSIN should breeze.

1. Eventual 2020-202 National Champion Michigan State University

I have no idea what to expect from Coach Tucker’s first year. I don’t even know who our Quarterback will be, and as a result cannot tell you who the Eventual 2020 Heisman Trophy Winner will be. I am leaning to Theo Day, though Peyton Thorne has some appeal, if only from a name standpoint. If it is Lombardi I may self harm. There is a lot of experience on the O Line – because everyone was hurt at one time or another over the last couple of years, we have 10 OL who have started a game – which I guess is good in a “maybe they can use the experience to improve” sort of way. We do get what I presume is the last of the Allen brothers back. Cool. Elijah Collins is the top returning back, which has me all meh, and we are replacing our top three receivers which normally would be bad but in this case is likely an improvement. The offense has been moribund in the late Dantonio years. Maybe the fresh coaching can bring it back to life.

Defensively, I am concerned about the talent depth in the backfield. The Bangstick is back as a coach – hopefully he can rebuild the no fly zone, although it may take some recruiting cycles to get there. The Linebackers, led by Antjuan Simmons, and the D line, not led by Jacub Panasiuk, should be strong, even with few returning starters. Overall, realistically, 4 or 5 wins (and the plus one) would be a decent year, although there are only two games where I can say with certainty we should win. When have I ever been realistic? What the fuck is the fun in that? Unbeaten and into the CFB playoffs! Woooooo!

The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: October 20, 2020, 07:04:37 PM »

U of Michigan students got stay-at-home orders today. Athletes can come and go as they please.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: October 20, 2020, 10:30:27 PM »

U of Michigan students got stay-at-home orders today. Athletes can come and go as they please.

They should be fine with all that personal protective equipment.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: October 20, 2020, 10:36:55 PM »

Its heartening to see Professor Wagstaff's theory on college sports and higher education is finally being acted on, even if it took almost 90 years.

Wagstaff: And I say to you gentlemen, this college is a failure. The trouble is, we're neglecting football for education.

Both professors: Exactly. The professor is right.

Wagstaff: Oh, I'm right am I? Well, I'm not right. I'm wrong. I just said that to test you. Now I know where I'm at. I'm dealing with a couple of snakes. What I meant to say was that there's too much football and not enough education.

Both professors: That's what I think.

Wagstaff: Oh, you do, do you? Well you're wrong again! If there was a snake here, I'd apologize. Where would this college be without football? Have we got a stadium?

Professor One: Yes.

Wagstaff: Have we got a college?

Professor One: Yes.

Wagstaff: Well, we can't support both. Tomorrow we start tearing down the college.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 10:38:30 PM by bankshot1 »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3792 on: October 21, 2020, 08:17:48 AM »

Any further details on this?

At one school I know they are allowing just the mens and womens basketball team on campus - to prep for their seasons.  And as some type of test for the rest of the student population returning.  3 x per week testing - as is common in schools with students already on campus - is included.

Is this preferential treatment for athletes that should be scoffed at?

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: October 21, 2020, 08:38:34 AM »

I don't think athletes coming and going as they please is something I'm scoffing at, rather it's something illustrative of the entire situation.  I feel terrible for my daughter who should be having the time of her life at one of the best colleges in the country.  But everyone's suffering. 

Here's the stay-in-place order:

https://www.washtenaw.org/DocumentCenter/View/18386/Order---Stay-in-place-Order---Final-Oct-20

"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: October 21, 2020, 10:10:53 AM »

I don't get it Yank.  What is your daughter unable to do under these restrictions, other than congregating on the green and eating in the cafeteria? 

Doesn't seem so bad for 2 weeks.

Are you getting any type rebate?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 329