Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 258369 times)

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #4545 on: July 23, 2022, 03:13:14 PM »

One more reason to hate on Larry Scott
Welcome to the BiG old friend!

You are going to love Madison in late November!

If the powers that be have "any" sense at all, they will schedule USC (and UCLA) to have 2-3 road games each in Sept and Oct and have all the midwest (and Eastern) teams coming to So Cal in Nov.  That would make everybody happy (well happier)
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: July 23, 2022, 03:21:59 PM »

Anybody paying attention to the laws of California?
Hmmmm.

Do as I say...not as I do...
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/06/newsom-california-vacation-montana-00044363

You raise a good point...  UCLA is a public school.  Will the coaches, as State employees, be prohibited from going to these games?  Or will they have to pay their own way?  Will the team be allowed to fly on a chartered jet paid for by the state? 

California has elected officials that think like adolescents -- their executive functioning skills can't seem to think ahead to all the unintended consequences of their "well intentioned" plans.
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: July 23, 2022, 07:33:00 PM »

Hmmmm.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/06/newsom-california-vacation-montana-00044363

You raise a good point...  UCLA is a public school.  Will the coaches, as State employees, be prohibited from going to these games?  Or will they have to pay their own way?  Will the team be allowed to fly on a chartered jet paid for by the state? 

California has elected officials that think like adolescents -- their executive functioning skills can't seem to think ahead to all the unintended consequences of their "well intentioned" plans.
Hey, Gavin Newsome knows how to run any state in the Union.
Except his own.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: July 25, 2022, 08:50:55 AM »

One more reason to hate on Larry Scott
Welcome to the BiG old friend!

You are going to love Madison in late November!

If the powers that be have "any" sense at all, they will schedule USC (and UCLA) to have 2-3 road games each in Sept and Oct and have all the midwest (and Eastern) teams coming to So Cal in Nov.  That would make everybody happy (well happier)
Nonononono. You are not getting off that easy. You want our money, you need to learn why we call the open area around the football practice field and tennis courts "the Tundra".
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: July 25, 2022, 01:44:21 PM »

Anyways, I look forward to making really stupid "ringing plains of windy Troy" and "literal definition of epic" jokes on a regular basis.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

bosox26d

• View Profile
« Reply #4550 on: July 26, 2022, 10:25:44 PM »

Hmmmm.

Except his own.
He's doing a fine job when you look at FACTS.In your case ignorance is bliss and you are very blissful skippy

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: August 20, 2022, 06:45:33 PM »

Anybody laughing at the Big Ten Network now?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: August 27, 2022, 03:39:36 PM »

bosox26d

• View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: August 28, 2022, 02:13:49 AM »

Yes!!!!!

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: August 28, 2022, 01:46:23 PM »

Anyways, I look forward to making really stupid "ringing plains of windy Troy" and "literal definition of epic" jokes on a regular basis.

LOL
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: August 28, 2022, 01:57:23 PM »

Hmmmm.

Except his own.
He's doing a fine job when you look at FACTS. In your case ignorance is bliss and you are very blissful skippy

California,(now with some help from Virginia) may single-handedly drag the rest of the nation into the new millennium. Whether it likes it or not. I'm not a big political commentor usually, but we need to convert to clean no matter how much it hurts. And then we can drag the rest of the world into it too. We're supposed to be a world leader, so we need to stand up and lead. Change hurts sometimes, but for the sake of future generations someone has got to make the sacrifice.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: August 28, 2022, 02:03:03 PM »

Me. Not paying for it. Been watching the SEC network though since its inception, at no extra charge. Same for the ACC Network.

Don't get me wrong I would have loved to see those BIG games for the last few years. But, just like the PAC, I wasn't paying extra for them.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: August 28, 2022, 02:08:36 PM »

Me. Not paying for it. Been watching the SEC network though since its inception, at no extra charge. Same for the ACC Network.

Don't get me wrong I would have loved to see those BIG games for the last few years. But, just like the PAC, I wasn't paying extra for them.
I have had it free on every system i have ever had. Even here. It is premium where you live?

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: August 29, 2022, 02:16:56 PM »

Going to try a little different approach this year. Rather than a Top 10 I will look at who I think will make the playoffs.

MY TOP 3 PLAYOFF TEAMS

MY PLAYOFF TEAMS

EVENTUAL 2022 2023 NATIONAL CHAPION MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY

Pretty much everything went about as well as it could for my boys, record wise last year. I mean, yeah, Purdue, but we were dancing on the rim of defeat a couple of other times so a second loss was pretty much in the cards. Can we catch as many breaks this year? Well, you have to make your own breaks and last year III put us in position to win those games (and almost single handedly carried us past Meatchicken. Jesus he had almost everything except the cape and x ray vision in that game). It looks lie we may committee the position with Broussard and Berger to replace him, and I am already claiming copyright on the term B & B for them, but the reality is even with III we had more of a dynamic running game than a consistent one. We need to improve the ball control, so some strengthening of the O Line in probably even more necessary than replacing III. It will be up to Thorne and his BFF Reed to pick up a bit of the slack. I keep hearing great things about Mosely and the entirety of the WR room, but really, it is Reed.

What we really have to do is fix the defense, specifically the Yes Fly Zone. MSU actually lead the Increasingly Inaccurately named Big Ten in sacks last year, I assume because other teams passed so much and with so much success the opposing line got gassed, and the D Line will be the strength. Line backers are good, and can be better. It is specifically the backfield we have to fix. We did add some speed from the portal, but what we are really hoping for is an improvement from the returning players, and an influx of talent from recruiting. I think we will be passable which I just realized is a pun but remain concerned. Fortunately, outside of The and Maryland, we do not really face any pass happy loaded offenses this year.

ClemSIN

The worst Scrabble tile draw in the world was about the worst quarterback in the South Atlantic League last year. It was not all on him, of course, but he was just bad. I wonder how short a leash U etc will be on this year. Word is they positively adore incoming freshman Fran Kubelick, if I got that name right, and SWINEy has played freshmen at QB before. But their offensive issues went beyond the QB last year. They never adequately replaced the incredibly useful and underrated Etienne, their receiving corps dropped the ball, and even the O Line had issues. Penciling them in here is a bit of a stretch, but I think their recruiting should carry them through and, hell, they won 11 games even without an offense. I am a little concerned about the loss of the coordinators, but I expect the defense to continue to be at an elite level. I expect a return to the playoffs, based on the lack of a real challenge in conference and my belief the offense has to get better.

The

The is sort of the opposite of ClemSIN this year. They need to fix a poor defense from last year. They brought in a new coordinator, swiped from an OSU that is not so particular about an article leading their name. The is playing the Saban game, they recruit so well that it is impossible to think they cannot fix any issue. I think they can get the defense to at least respectability, which given the offense is enough. The D line needs to find and develop the elite pass rusher they lacked last year, but is otherwise strong. I like their defensive backs. What puts them here is the offense, where Stroud returns with a year of excellence under his belt. Smith-Njigba may have been their best receiver last year and yes I know the other two were Round One draftees. Henderson would be a Heisman candidate if he played back when running backs could win the award. Not an easy schedule by any means, starting out with Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie in Columbus and the Increasingly Inaccurately Named Big Ten East has some pretty good teams, but I think they are the class if the league. If not the entire FBS.

Alabama

There is a part of me that wants to pick someone other than Alabama to win God apostrophe s Conference and make the playoffs, but I just cannot do it. I mean, I can nitpick about the offensive line, and the empty receiver room, but does it really matter? I do not need to know who is replacing Neal, or Metchie. It does not matter. It never does. Curse them. I hates them.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 02:34:12 PM by Hairy Lime »

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4559 on: August 29, 2022, 02:23:39 PM »

Georgia

The Bulldogs keep popping up on all of the Playoff predictions. I think this is in part a Last Year Fallacy, sort of a cousin to the hot hand fallacy. People see what happened last year and think the same thing will happen this year. But particularly with CFB, that view does not take into account the changes from year to year. In the case of Georgia, those changes include the loss of many key members of a generationally great defense, including five first round draft choices. Yes, they have recruited well, and will still be elite, but those losses will be felt with replacement players not quite as good and depth not quite as, well, deep. The offense just is good, and their lawyerly named quarterback adequate. I just do not see it as good enough to be Top 4 without a defense that approaches last year.

Texas A and M

Well, you never know what symbol will screw over your post. Anyway, this may be my version of the Cold Hand Fallacy. TAMU has been a repeated disappointment in terms of results under Fisher, losing at least 4 games every year not affected by COVID. I expect the same this year, but the talent does change and it is probably wring to anticipate a repeat. Anyway, on an analytical level I know Jimbo has been a Fisher of prospects with great success, but the Aggies lost way too much to expect them to suddenly beat Alabama. Heck, I expect at least three teams to challenge TAMU for the second best team in the division, LSU, Arkansas and Auburn, and of them I rate TAMU third. I would put Arkansas first, but I cannot see them taking down Alabama, and not making the God apostrophe s Conference Championship game makes it hard for any non Satan coached team to make the playoffs.

God Apostrophe s Conference Others

There is always at least one God apostrophe s Conference team that enters the playoff picture. As I noted above, I like Arkansas in the west. Florida looks like the best opportunity to unseat Georgia in the East. Kentucky is apparently starting a pair of blue jeans at quarterback, so I am not sure why people seem to think of them as a sleeper. Anyway, I do not think anyone except Alabama make sthe conference championship game from the East and I have a decent level of confidence about Georgia as well. Cannot pick any one to the playoffs that does not make the conference championsip.

Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie

I will reiterate the point I made back in February: I expect them to be as good as they were last year, but they have a very, very difficult path to the Top 10. It goes through Columbus, at USC, and at BYU. They do draw Clemson at home, but the schedule also includes a few sneaky good games and few breathers. It is a recipe for three losses. Kudos on the cajones to make that schedule, but
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 02:33:46 PM by Hairy Lime »
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 329