Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 258942 times)

Espnthree

• View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #4800 on: July 31, 2023, 07:56:41 PM »

Recent conference expansion rumor has the Big Whatever adding U Dub, Oregon,  ClemSIN and Florida State. The apparent implosion of the PAWCP (a list of potential replacements for the three schools it is losing included Fresno State and Boise which does not bode well) means the first two are in play, but neither ClemSIN nor FSU are AAU members. And while $ is paramount, the Big Whatever has consistently stated academic fit is important to the conference as well.

If Washington and Oregon go, look for the remaining four corner schools - Arizona Ztate, U of A and Utah - to crawl to the Pure Prairie League.
Do not see BIG  doing anything except making a run at ND and Miami.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4801 on: August 04, 2023, 06:32:30 PM »

Looks like its The Ducks and the Huskies to the Big Whatever. I want them to add two more members if only because then I could use the stupidly amusing only to myself as I drive it into the ground nickname of the Big Tens for the conference.

Arizona to the Pure Prairie League, but only if ASU gets to tag along. They share a governing board that is pretty adamant that they travel in pairs. I guess the PPL is not as particular about not overlapping market footprints as the Big Whatever, so they could add UA, ASU and Utah for a little Four Corners rivalry with BYU and Colorado.

Cal and Stanford get screwed. I mean, yeah, Corvallis Academy and Agricultural College, Expirement Station and School of Science of the State of Washington (actual original names!) too, but no one cares about them. The Mountain West is going to get slightly more prestigious.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4802 on: August 15, 2023, 11:11:27 AM »

Man this forum is nothing without me.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4803 on: August 15, 2023, 11:38:40 AM »

I think the Pennsylvania State University wins the Big Whatever this year. You?
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Espnthree

• View Profile

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4805 on: August 23, 2023, 03:27:43 PM »

Man this forum is nothing without me.

Holy Ghost! ElCapitan is BACK! 

Without you here, RedStainWart drove everyone away, except Risque.

I actually was afraid there was something seriously wrong with cap when RedDick made a pronouncement that was proven totally wrong just.four days later, and cap was silent. Anyway, it is long since time for this.

Who is not on my list:

Wisconsin, Iowa, Others

I have traditionally reserved a place on my Top 10 for a Someone is Winning The Increasingly Inaccurately Named Big Ten West team. Iowa and Wisky are the two best options for that, but I still think the IINB10W will be a lot like they were last year, competitive, but with no dominant team. Which means the IINB10W Champ is looking like a three loss team. Of the two, I do not think Iowa will fix the offense, but that defense should keep them in every game. Wisky is the biggest possibility for a break through, because they aced the coaching hire. The loss of Brohm drops the Due down my list, but both Minnesota and Illinois are pretty well coached. No one will run away with it, but the IINB10W Champ is likely to have 3 Ls.

Texas Christian University

Yeah, that epic smoking could have a ripple effect next year, but that is not why I think people who are ranking them highly are off base. TCU lived on the edge in 2022, being on the winning end of six one score games last year. Max Duggan Returns not. I expect a couple of the Pure Prairie League teams to be improved. I just do not see TCU having a run like last year.

The Rest of the Pure Prairie League

One of them will be Top 10 at the end of the year. I just do not have a good read on who. I was surprised at how much Oklahoma underperformed in 2022, and Texas has the buzz, but they strike me as pre-Smart Georia; never quite as good as I expect them to be. So who wins the league? Maybe Okie State, maybe Baylor. Heck, despite my misgivings, maybe Texas. I do not know, but someone will be there, and likely in the Top 10. My money, if I had any, would be on Oklahoma, but I am not confident enough to put them in.

Tennessee, Florida, South Carogoddamnedlina

Smart has built quite a program at Georgia, and he has rid the team of its earlier propensity for an annual Clemsoning. Which decreases the margin of error for other God Apostrophe S Conference East teams. Both of Florida and Tennessee are breaking in new QBs and while Tennessee had success going Hookerless in a small sample, they also travel to a revenge minded Tide and have a really sneaky tough matchup with UTSA. Florida draws LSU, goes to Utah and ends with Florida State, and both have to deal with whatever South Carolina will be, as well as each other. Hard to see the GasCE runner up being a one or two loss team.

Oregon, Utah, Washington

Soon to be welcomed to the Midwest, Oregon, Utah and Washington are competitors for the last year of the PAWCP. Bo Nix is coming back for one more year. Which will lose Oregon two games they have no business losing. Utah also returns their starting QB, at least until he gets hurt prior to their bowl game again, but that is less of a two edged sword. Utah is playing a tough OOC with Florida and Baylor, and their two toughest PAWCP games are on the road, against the Trojenz and Washington. As for Washington I hate Michael Pennix, but for the right reasons, meaning every time he plays us he does something pretty good. But while it looks like they are returning serious talent, they also have serious scheduling issues. Not just visiting us which is one L right there, but games against Boise State and the other three best teams in the PAWCP on the road. I am struggling to see a two loss team among this group.

Who is on my list:

11.          Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie

Several of the teams I have discussed above have to work through two or three games against top flight competition, as so does OLotPT.They are a good team, but they play three of the teams in my Functionally Top 10, The, USC and ClemSIN. I am giving them this slot because they have the most doable schedule, after that, of those teams. Tough enough to impress watchers, but not so tough as they should not be big favorites in most games. I assume Sam

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4806 on: August 23, 2023, 03:29:52 PM »

11.          Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie

Several of the teams I have discussed above have to work through two or three games against top flight competition, as so does OLotPT.They are a good team, but they play three of the teams in my Functionally Top 10, The, USC and ClemSIN. I am giving them this slot because they have the most doable schedule, after that, of those teams. Tough enough to impress watchers, but not so tough as they should not be big favorites in most games. I assume Sam Mary Hartman is the new starter, with the loss of Buchner. Inconsistent QB play was a huge problem for them in 22, but if they can get good play from that position, the rest of the pieces are there. They just need to win one of those three big games.

10.          the Florida State

They have one of the better returning QBs and good returning skill players on offense. It has been a dry spell since the height of the Jimbo Fisher years, but the return of Jordan Travis gives them at least stability at the QB position, if not high level excellence. Their receiving corps was bolstered by the addition of a damned traitor to bolster an already deep position. They had a strong running game last year, and despite losing a top back should be solid there as well. Defensively, they had some problems along the line last year, but have used the transfer portal well. Tough schedule, though, with both LSU and Florida OOC.

9.            ClemSIN

So now we find out, was it just Ukelele or is there something else that makes ClemSIN less than it had been with Watson and Jennifer Lawrence as QB. Fran Kubelik returns as QB, Shipley at RB, and Baby Riley heads in from TCU as the new OC. Could be a fun O. The secondary needed work in its first post-Venable year, although there is, of course, talent. Schedule includes OLotPT and South Carogod etc as functionally OOC. But I cannot escape the nagging feeling that ClemSIN had success all those years because they had a superior QB, and they have lacked that success because they cannot work fully around a pretty good one.

8.            Alabama

Something about Bama last year just seemed off, especially for a Satan coached team, and they never seemed to gel despite Young being great. They are breaking in a new quarterback and they still do not know who, which is pretty late, decision making wise. Still, they do have some good options, and. I am more worried about the receivers, who last year did not meet previous expectations, and the number of new O Line players. They have the same issue on Defense. They have been in reload mode for so many years now, it is hard to think they will struggle with any of this, but it almost feels like there are more cracks in the foundation this year.

7              The

My guess is that one of the three IINB10E teams will lose twice. Two might end up in the playoffs, though, depending on the breaks. Stroud is a big loss, but whoever gets the position has the advantage of perhaps the best skill position talent in CFB. As with Alabama I still worry that The does not have the next guy already in mind, but The really has become Wide Receiver U the last few years, and their two most productive receivers from 2022 return, as do Williams and Henderson in the backfield. I am more concerned about losing both tackles and their center than who will be the QB. The returns most of their defense, for better and worse. They have three easy games to break everyone in before that trip to OLotPT. I have them 3 of the IINB10E teams because The has become susceptible to the big play on defense. That needs fixing, or they are the IINB10E team with the two losses, especially since of the three The plays the only difficult team OOC.

6.            Meatchicken

Blake Corum returning is pretty helpful, and Donovan Edwards gives them probably the third best backfield tandem in the IINB10E, but I am not convinced they have the passing game to win the Championship. McCarthy scorched The, but that was more big plays than a sustained excellence; even against The he was a 50 percent passer. The receivers were merely solid last year, with no one threat to elevate the air attack. Defensively they had some significant losses, but they were hit harder after 2021, so provided their DC does not also get caught uploading whacking materials on a work computer, I think they will be fine. Or, well, did you see that TCU game? Either that was a huge anomaly or there is something rotten in the City of Ann Arbor. They do have a pathetic OOC schedule once again, with no Power 5 teams for two years in a row, which helps them in the Top 5 battle. I mean unless they lose to Directional Carolina

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4807 on: August 23, 2023, 03:33:17 PM »

That is pathetic. They do have Texas and Oklahoma on upcoming schedules, and any team can get caught between Home and Homes for one year, but come ON.

5.            the Louisiana State University

I am grouping these next two teams at 6 and 7, but I really think one of them is going to be in the playoff but, well, see below. Anyway, it turns out that what the LSU needed was a good coach. They have a really good defense, with Smith, Wingo and Perkins as bulwarks in front, which they will need because they will have an inexperienced secondary. Offensively, they really struggled on the O line and their leading rusher last year, in terms of attempts, was their QB. I think Daniels limits their upside and their floor, offensively, especially if they cannot field a top tier running back. Still, they have recovered from the Orgeron hangover pretty quickly, and I expect them to challenge Alabama for the GasCW.

4.            University of Southern California

They return the Heisman winner on offense, and most of the remaining skill position players. They pretty much scored at will. Unfortunately, so did the teams they played. They need to fix the defense to be elite, and Riley did not exactly have the rep as a defensive guru when he was at Oklahoma. They have been the poster child for PAWCP footsie; perhaps I am just thinking them winning the league in its last real incarnation just feels right.

3.           the Pennsylvania State University

Sean Clifford returns for his eighth year of eligibility. What? Finally? OK, so like The, the PSU is breaking in a new QB, but unlike The, Clifford should not be that hard to replace, and there is no battle to replace him. Drew Allar was one of the top recruits at QB coming into last year. Played well when he had the chance, and he has the advantage of handing off to a dynamic established duo of running backs. I expect the same traditionally strong defense. They technically have a Power 5 team on their OOC (West Virginia) but not a real threat, and they should roll into that October 21 game against The in Columbus unbeaten. I like them the best of the three top IIMB10E teams.

2.            Georgia

Well, they have to replace Stetson Bennett and some key defensive people. Normally, this would make me hold off on them as the top team, but damn. Anyway, their QB depth chart contains people named

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4808 on: August 23, 2023, 03:38:45 PM »

2.            Georgia

Well, they have to replace Stetson Bennett and some key defensive people. Normally, this would make me hold off on them as the top team, but damn. Anyway, their QB depth chart contains people named Beck and Brock and Gunner so you know they will be good. Two of them are 5 star prospects. And, well, they are still throwing to Bowers. Note: as of last Friday, they are going with Carson Beck which hardly seems like a real name. They lose a lot on defense, but not as much as last year and the fill ins are all talented and experienced. The schedule is pretty fortunate, saved from being Meatchicken OOC level by their game against a bad Power 5 in state rival, and they are missing both the LSU and Alabama in conference. Of course, there are also three really good CasCE teams waiting to pounce if they slip a little or have an off game, so it is not a cakewalk. It is hard to repeat, and harder to threepeat (though the hardest part of the threepeat is the repeat) but while I would bet against them winning it all again this year, there is also no one more likely than them to win it all.

1.            EVENTUAL 2023 2024 NATIONAL CHAMPION MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY

Peyton Thorne transferred to Auburn, leaving Katin Doogie Hauser and Noah Kim to battle for the starting spot. Well, I guess they looked at the competition and decided to Leavitt open. Well my guess is Kim, but I do not really know right now who it will be. Our O Line was awful last year, and the secondary play was little better. We have recruited well under Tucker (though because of the late Dantonio retirement, we essentially lost one year) so the sophomore class needs to step up on those areas. Losing Reed and Coleman hurts, regardless of who the QB is. Not sure who the starting wideout, but I note we have the second best legacy scion of a Hall of Fame receiver with the same name in the IINB10E, for what that is worth. We are probably the 4th best IINB10E team at best this year, but of the three better ones, only the annual ritual massacre by The is on the road.

Last year made 2021 look more like an illusion, where Walker III covered for a lot of sins, but I do not think we were as bad as we played last year. The talent is there for an 8 or 9 win season, but given that schedule the margin of error is pretty slim. We need to beat one of the Top 10 teams we play and then run a table which includes a trip to Iowa.

Anyway, my pick for the five teams to make the playoffs, seeded are

Michigan State
Georgia
the Pennsylvania State University
the Louisiana State University
University of Southern California

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4809 on: September 01, 2023, 11:46:06 PM »

Really, all of the oceans are interconnected so the Pacific really is the Atlantic, so Palo Alto may as well be on the Atlantic Coast.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #4810 on: September 02, 2023, 09:51:22 PM »

I think the latest college football expansion should result  in a new conference name.
The A and P.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #4811 on: September 03, 2023, 01:35:53 PM »

OMG Northwestern has a so bad offense. Getting punked by Rutgers.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #4812 on: September 03, 2023, 02:31:33 PM »

Sad for me to see the pac12 disappear. A lot of historic match-ups.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #4813 on: September 03, 2023, 04:00:16 PM »

Lose shutout on a fumbled  punt return late in 4th quarter.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4814 on: September 05, 2023, 08:18:35 AM »

Hope jbott is well.
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 329