Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 258386 times)

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #4875 on: December 23, 2023, 10:35:05 PM »

So, would you have chosen FSU over Bama?

And what's your prediction on the Georgia/FSU game?
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4876 on: December 26, 2023, 07:44:41 AM »

So, would you have chosen FSU over Bama?

And what's your prediction on the Georgia/FSU game?
Yes. Georgia, bigly.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4877 on: December 26, 2023, 11:19:57 AM »

To expand slightly: the Committee has always justified some of its more controversial omissions by noting that a two loss team - like the Pennsylvania State University in 2016 - did not present a similar resume to a one loss team even when the former had won the head to head and league championship - like the Ohio State University in 2016. If you are consistent with that, how do you justify elevating a one loss Power Conference team over an unbeaten power conference team? You earn the playoff slot on the field, which is what Florida State did. They took care of all the business sent their way. Alabama did not. They should have been the 3rd seed, and the final slot should have.come down to Alabama, Texas or Georgia.

Do you think Georgia is one of the 4 best teams in the country? Because I do. But they did not have an argument for making the playoffs.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4878 on: December 26, 2023, 04:01:58 PM »

I like the way you put that and it makes good sense on the surface. But it may not be quite that cut and dried.

So, I would add to it that both PSU and Ohio state faced similar competition as far as SOS. However, FSU's competition quality as compared to Alabama's was more than just 'somewhat' disparate. Florida State had the 55th hardest schedule in FBS this season, Alabama's was 5th hardest. And Florida State's opponents over all combined records are abysmal, maybe like .500 or something. Smelly. And Florida State is without their starting QB. You also feel that Georgia is going to beat Fla St "bigly". So why would they be placed in the CFP to get manhandled the same way as some of the OSU teams have or ND did against Bama some years back? Now, if FSU beats Georgia I'll be all wet and will have admit it.

Whether that changes the material conclusion of your post is up for debate. I would opine that it does and may need modification. 

Sidenote: I think I'm on record and have always opined that SOS should be the strongest category of the markers for CPF voting. Otherwise you could have a 12-0 Bowling Green in the CPF.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4879 on: December 26, 2023, 04:26:04 PM »

I like the way you put that and it makes good sense on the surface. But it may not be quite that cut and dried.

So, I would add to it that both PSU and Ohio state faced similar competition as far as SOS. However, FSU's competition quality as compared to Alabama's was more than just 'somewhat' disparate. Florida State had the 55th hardest schedule in FBS this season, Alabama's was 5th hardest. And Florida State's opponents over all combined records are abysmal, maybe like .500 or something. Smelly. And Florida State is without their starting QB. You also feel that Georgia is going to beat Fla St "bigly". So why would they be placed in the CFP to get manhandled the same way as some of the OSU teams have or ND did against Bama some years back? Now, if FSU beats Georgia I'll be all wet and will have admit it.

Whether that changes the material conclusion of your post is up for debate. I would opine that it does and may need modification. 

Sidenote: I think I'm on record and have always opined that SOS should be the strongest category of the markers for CPF voting. Otherwise you could have a 12-0 Bowling Green in the CPF.
Well, TCU deserved to be in the Playoffs last year, and look at the grease spot that was all that was left of them after the Championship game (and thank you for not mentioning the 2015 Cotton Bowl...). I would agree that SoS is a big component of rankings, but wins are just as important. Otherwise, South Carolina could make an argument to be in the playoffs.

It is a moot argument after this year, but if you play a Power 5 schedule and win all your games, you should be in over a 1 loss team. I keep thinking that no other 1 loss team, and at least no 1 loss team from any other Conference would have made that leap.

And, Cardale Jones.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #4880 on: December 26, 2023, 04:28:51 PM »

Next year the endless debate is going to be between teams 12 and 13. Cannot wait!!
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4881 on: December 27, 2023, 01:31:31 PM »

I never did get around to finishing the lesser bowls. But here are my picks going forward from today.

Wednesday, Dec. 27

Military Bowl presented by GoBowling.com Tulane vs. Virginia Tech

I have been eating lunch and every time I bend over to take a bite, it feels like I am dropping food from my fork onto my leg. I look around, but I do not see the dropped food anywhere. I just realized what I am feeling is the badge dangling from my lanyard. I write this in lieu of having to say something about this game. For my friend Bill. VCU

Dukes Mayo Bowl North Carolina vs. West Virginia

I sense I have made fun of this Bowl Game Sponsor mash up before. Drake Maye is understandably opting out, and when you have difficulty winning with Maye, you maye have trouble winning without him. Morgantown School of Applied Technology

DIRECTV Holiday Bowl Louisville vs. Southern Cal

I will be watching this on the Dish Network. Fight the power! Williams sits this out to prepare for the draft, and another QB is hitting the portal. Which means a diminished SC offense and, well, their congenitally diminished defense. Yeah, the Ville offense looked awful against the FSU defense, but they will not be playing the FSU defense. Louisville

Tax Act Texas Bowl Oklahoma State vs. Texas A and M

Well, you know what they said about Jimbo Fisher He could take his talent and lose to yours, or he could take your talent and lose to his. The kids are auditioning for Elko, and Okie State was a bad team that got some breaks. TAMU

Thursday, Dec. 28

Wasabi Fenway Bowl SMU vs. Boston College

SMU joins the South Atlantic League next year. There is a Museum of the War in the Pacific in Fredricksburg, Texas*, which makes more sense than having a School in Dallas play in a Conference named for an Ocean that is 1000 miles away. Say what you want about Cal and Stanford, but at least there is water nearby. BCU

Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl Rutgers vs. Miami of Florida

Maybe it is the Midwesterner in me, but I remember when bowl games were a chance for boosters and the like to travel from whatever snow bound Hell they lived in to some place warm and fun. Granted, that assumes living in Piscataway rather than Miami, but for both teams, this seems like more something the Krampus left behind. No one will cry for dear old Rutgers. Miami

Pop Tarts Bowl NC State vs. Kansas State

All games feature an edible mascot, if you have the will to make it so. Anyway, this would be an easy pick if not for Howard portalling away. NC State

Valero Alamo Bowl Oklahoma vs. Arizona

Arizona is pretty much pulling into the parking space Oklahoma is pulling out of. Gabriel is another starter portalling. So, let me tell you a story  bout a man named Jedd. No, have I got a Fisch story for you. No, I am still auditioning replacement jokes for my truly hilarious but no longer applicable Archangel Gabriel joke. To quote the doctor I see for my constipation, Bear Down. That joke gets a lot of play in Phoenix.

Friday, Dec. 29

Tax Slayer Gator Bowl Clemson vs. Kentucky

It kind of feels unkind to make a joke about their name after they have come down to earth the last three years, but this is the time of year for traditions, no matter how stupid. ClemSIN

Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie vs. Thanks for the Coach

Is there anyone left to play Quarterback for the Beavers? Yeah, we lost three of ours, but we are not playing for another nine months. I do not know who the Beaver third stringer is, but I do know OLotPT has a good enough defense to shut down that guy who has run the Scout Team for three years. Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie

AutoZone Liberty Bowl Memphis vs. Iowa State

No clue. Iowa State

Cotton Bowl Classic the vs. Missouri

It appears Harrison is sitting the game out although there is nothing official and he has not actually announced for the draft, and McCord has transferred out, but a surprising number of top flight the players are playing, including their other projected first round WR, starting RB and their best corner. The offense just seemed a little not dynamic with McCord, so we will see what Brown can do them. the

Saturday, Dec. 30

Chik fil A Peach Bowl Penn State vs. Old Mississippi

I had the PSU as my Big Whatever champ pre season, but they let me down. I expect more from their offense then we got this year. But that is still a pretty good defense. Both teams have managed to lose to two of the best teams in the country. But, I am going down this road because I am happy to see cap back and want to reward him. the Pennsylvania State University

TransPerfect Music City Bowl Auburn vs. Maryland

Not just perfect, fabulous. Last I checked, Auburn had serious Quarterback issues. Meaning, their quarterback is a real Thorne in the side of any success they might have. Maryland

Capital One Orange Bowl Florida State vs. Georgia

Words cannot express how much I want Florida State to win this game. But they are down to their third string QB, and I cannot see the Georgia defense taking its collective foot off the collective pedal. Loss to Nick Satan notwithstanding, I still think they are the best team in college football this year. But to get in the playoffs you have to prove that on the field, unless you are Alabama. Georgia

Barstool Sports Arizona Bowl Wyoming vs. Toledo

I have as much interest in this game as I do in looking up whatever the Hell Barstool Sports actually is. None. Toledo

Monday, Jan. 1, 2024

ReliaQuest Bowl LSU vs. Wisconsin

Wisky is missing Allen, and one of their best defensive players just joined my beloved Spartans. LSU has had defensive issues, and Daniels is opting out, but I still think LSU has more going for it. Louisiana State University and Agriculture and Mechanical College

Cheez it Citrus Bowl Iowa vs Tennessee

Take the under. But you do have to, you know, actually score to win a football game. Tennessee

[i[Vrbo Fiesta Bowl[/i] Oregon vs. Liberty

Luck Fiberty. I hope the Ducks burn them like Jerry Falwell burns in Hell. Oregon

College Football Playoff Semifinals

Rose Bowl Game Presented by Prudential Meatchicken vs. Alabama

Alabama should not be here. I think despite the loss they are a better team than either Washington or Texas right now, but they should not be here. I note, by the way, the no one thinks Meatchicken should be shunted off to a non playoff bowl despite a strength of schedule that is roughly equivalent to Florida State. Anyway, I have become grudgingly impressed with Meatchicken this year, and as much as it pains me to say it, they look like the team to beat. Meatchicken

Allstate Sugar Bowl Washington vs. Texas

If the Committee could have figured an out around the head to head, Texas would be in the Orange Bowl, and FSU would be the three seed. But this is the game we have. It should be entertaining, as both teams can score, and score quickly. I think Texas has a better defense, so that is my data point. Texas

* Because it is the hometown of Admiral Chester Nimitz, that is why.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 01:33:25 PM by Hairy Lime »

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #4882 on: December 29, 2023, 09:41:22 PM »

I think McCord may - may - have been a better QB then Buckeye Nation gave him credit for being. And Mizzou's kicker has not missed many meals.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4883 on: December 29, 2023, 11:26:43 PM »

What a fine night it is here in Daytona Beach this evening. NYS I do not Mizzyou in the least.  :-)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 11:28:50 PM by CaptainCargo »

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4884 on: December 30, 2023, 10:18:48 AM »

College football is being destroyed. At least as far as the Bowl season is concerned. A sad time indeed. All you have to do is look at Ohio State's humiliating rub out last night. I can't stand this team. But even a hater like me felt sorry for them as they were humbled, brought to their knees as the new rules gutted them. As were the Beaver's of Oregon State wiped out by the Irish simply because they had a deeper and stronger team depth-wise. I felt like puking as I watched that and in fact I had to turn it off. Couldn't watch it. Made me sick to my stomach. And now I read about 2 dozen Florida State players are opting out. Such a cowardly game this has become.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #4885 on: December 30, 2023, 01:49:36 PM »

Next year the endless debate is going to be between teams 12 and 13. Cannot wait!!
So what?
I am not of fan of a playoff beyond four teams but adding 8 teams means 12more teams get a better post season.  5-8 get playoff money and an extra home game
9-12 get playoff exposure and more money. 13-16 get better Bowl games.
This season the 12/13 controversy ( assuming there would be)was between LSU and Oklahoma.
The fan bases of each would have strong thoughts but nothing like between 4/5.
As fore SOS it is a mitigating factor if two teams are close. It can never be anything but.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 01:53:30 PM by Espnthree »

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4886 on: December 30, 2023, 03:25:08 PM »

Doesn't really matter anymore. Even with 12 teams in, there will be massive amounts of desertions of players even in the CFP. It all becomes a lie. P on the whole fake thing. I see the headline 'ESPN is upset with the Fla ST mass defections' Yeah well, you helped create the sickness take responsibility for the virus you created. Call it collage COVID.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #4887 on: December 30, 2023, 04:19:18 PM »

Doesn't really matter anymore.
Does not matter to you.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 06:18:38 PM by Espnthree »

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #4888 on: December 30, 2023, 06:21:20 PM »

With Georgia manhandling FSU the Committee can take a victory lap.

And Toledo and Wyoming may generate millions in TV viewers.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4889 on: December 30, 2023, 10:42:00 PM »

Doesn't really matter anymore.
Does not matter to you.

LOL. Yes it doesn't matter to me. Unless there is a serious effort to correct it by people in positions to make a change. It very well may dilute and even destroy the college football post-season.

And this in an opinion forum, I (or anyone for that matter)could have the same similar retort for all of your posts. Or anyone's posts. You do understand that right? "That's your opinion". A little more substance would better serve all of us here and maybe bring some people in here. In my "opinion we need to get some new blood in here. Although I admit I don't know how to accomplish that.

So peace dude.
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 329