Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
October 23, 2017, 03:53:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: With Dixon out for the season, who will win the Heisman?
Tim Tebow
Darren McFadden
Matt Ryan
Chase Daniel
Other

Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323]
  Print  
Author Topic: College Football  (Read 20086 times)
DeeJ

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4830 on: October 20, 2017, 09:58:54 AM »

Football did not begin at ZeroState in 1890.

ZeroState started playing the already popular game in 1890.

Despite JimboNut's delusions, FB did not begin at ZeroState.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4831 on: October 21, 2017, 12:00:20 AM »

tOSU began in earnest when SWEATINVEST and GEE WHIZ GORDON fucked the program in the earhole, here, here, nothing to HEAR HERE.

Dirty program that protected a player under FBI investigation for CONSPIRACY TO DISTRIBUTE COCAINE, or TATTOO GATE for SHWAG, I didn't invent TRESS putting his player (s) in moral and mortal jeopardy, matter of record.

Sad.

Irrefutable.

DeeJ

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4832 on: October 21, 2017, 11:31:38 AM »

tOSU began in earnest when SWEATINVEST and GEE WHIZ GORDON fucked the program in the earhole, here, here, nothing to HEAR HERE.

Dirty program that protected a player under FBI investigation for CONSPIRACY TO DISTRIBUTE COCAINE, or TATTOO GATE for SHWAG, I didn't invent TRESS putting his player (s) in moral and mortal jeopardy, matter of record.

Sad.

Irrefutable.

And JB,  Lest we forget, the new targeting rule in football is an anti-ZeroState rule, as much as the shot clock in BB was a reaction to NC's four-corners stall.  The BuckNuts gave awards for "taking out play makers", especially QB's Of any team that showed it could compete with the BuckNuts.
The two dirtiest programs in the history of college football: ZeroState and the CandyCanes of THE U.
Whose #1?  The Big Zero of the Big Whatever

As for PretzelTressell,  he also blackmailed his own players into agreeing to return the following year if he let them play in their post-season game.  The Bowl people were all for this blackmail also.
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4833 on: October 22, 2017, 11:31:12 AM »

11-2 in picks this week. That's more like it.

LSU 26, Ole Miss 17:

The Tigers seem to have gotten their D back. Ole Miss has some problems on both sides of the rock.

The Tigers also seem to have gotten their OL back.

Texas Tech 33, Iowa State 30:

This game could go either way as both teams seem to be evenly matched so I'll take the home team.

The Cyclones continue to surprise me. If they beat the Horny Toads next week I become a believer.

Okie State 30, Texas 24:

I'm taking the Cowboys as I think the Texas team is a bit dinged up and might not have 100% spark in them after last week's emotional Red River Game.

Damn good game. Herman has to be tearing his hair out.

PSU 25, Michigan 24:

This is the best defense the Lions have faced so far this season. On the other hand this is the best offense the Wolverines have faced so far this season too. The Wolverines have faced a couple of teams with a good defense. The first one they came out and beat in the second half and the second one owned them. Michigan likes to play a lot of man defense, it could all boil down to who wins that battle.

I may be wrong, this might not be the best defense the Lions have faced this year.  Cheesy Seriously though, Michigan's D looked like they had no clue out there.

Miami 30, Syracuse 28:

The Cuse has a shot but how much to they have in the tank for this game. The last one had to have taken a bit out of them. Then again Miami's game last week was pretty emotionally draining as well. So once again I'll take the home team.

Cuse played a good game but too many mental mistakes on offense. Going 13 for 41 with 4 picks is going to get you a loss 99% of the time.

Bama 34, Tennessee 13:

Sabin has the best defense in the game. If you're going to beat them you better have the second best defense in the game or the best offense in the game. Tennessee has neither.

Bama is JUST PLAIN FUCKING SCARY. Nothing else to be said really.

Virginia 27, Boston College 23:

Does anyone realize that Virginia is 5-1? Yeah but their one loss was a 34-17 pasting by the Indiana Hoosiers. Still 6-1 will start to get them some somewhat serious Top 25 talk, at least for a week. Then again the Cavs schedule is soft somewhat like Wisconsin's. The BC runner ran the ball about a thousand times in the last game. Does he have any legs left?

Well anyone that was talking Virginia in the Top 25 can bury that idea out in the back yard with the carp.

Va Tech 33, NC 19:

The Hokes shouldn't have too hard of a time polishing off the Tarheels.

A whitewashing of the Tarheels as expected.

Wisconsin 31, Maryland 17:

The Badgers get another helping of their seemingly endless rotunda of cake. A glass of milk please.

The following are the Badgers' opponents so far and their Massey ratings, Northwestern(the cream of the crop) at ranking#34. MD #54, Purdue #58, Nebraska #63, Fla Atl #85, Utah State #89, BYU #132. Their future opponents are Illinois #111, Indiana #48, Iowa #31, Michigan # 17, Minn #66. Overall the Badger SOS is 51st in the country and their future SOS is 50th. I remember Skippy yammering about this when I(and Stevo)brought this up at the beginning of the season. Well boob, any bright remarks now?  Cheesy

Now this doesn't tell you how good the Badgers really are but it does show, as of yet, they haven't been tested by a team that can even get a sniff of the Top 25 other than Northwestern.

Oklahoma 30, K-State 26:

The Sooners know how their season has to play out if they want to go to the big dance. I don't expect them to lose focus this week. Still after the Texas game they have to be somewhat emotionally drained. Never count out Snyder's Wildcat even with a gimpy starting QB if he plays.

As I said, never count out a Snyder Wildcat team. The backup QB played well and it was another tough game for the Sooners who have had nothing but tough game after tough game since the BIG 12 schedule started. The only easy games they have had were OOC games.

USF 34, Tulane 20:

USF is the Rodney Dangerfield of college football.

Rodney wins another one. Yet Massey only has them just slotting into the Top 25 at #24. My old buddy Jeffy Sagarin likes them even less at #31 in his ratings system.

Michigan State 23, Indiana 17:

It won't be pretty but Dantonio's kids get it done. Speaking of drained the Sparties are probably not at a full tank either.

Dantonio has himself another good defense. His offense though is still struggling. But overall the Sparties at looking pretty good. And after the annihilation of the Trojans at the hands of the Irish, the loss to them isn't looking all that bad.

Auburn 30, Arkansas 23

Both of these teams went down because they face a nasty defense last week. Arkansas doesn't have a good defense but the Tigers do. The Razorbacks are at home though and they say that facing a team against you that is better makes you better. If that is the case then Arkansas should be a whole helluva lot better this week. Wink

Well, the Razorbacks weren't all that much better. Auburn might be the best two loss team in the nation. Then again it might be LSU. Or Texas A&M. Then there's Stanford and USC. or even, ho hum, Michigan. Hee hee hee.  Cheesy

Lastly:

Notre Dame 26, USC 25:

As you can see I thing this game will hinge on some late game theatrics. Bottomline who wins the trenches? Can the Trojan D stop the best offensive line they've faced so far this year? Who makes more mistakes? Wimbush or D'Artagnan err.. I mean Darnold.

I said earlier that I wasn't sold on Darnold. I'm even less sold on him now. I was totally wrong, this game didn't hinge on anything late. Man what a total pasting. OUCH! Sorry Scotty that had to be painful. I saw Howard on gameday ragging on Wimbush and Kelly as having a running back playing QB. Well, it seemed to work out quite well though didn't it.  Smiley

Espnthree

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4834 on: October 22, 2017, 12:10:15 PM »

Week 8- Saturday,October 21

Maryland @ #6 Wisconsin(-24)
Badgers to cover
 By one point as Wisconsin remains undefeated but without a signature win. They may only get that  chance in the Big Ten Championship Game  

Tennessee @ #1 Alabama(-35)
Most -fired Tennessee Coach Butch Jones could sure use an upset.
The Vols will benefit from the spot, but it won’t save Butch.
NOPE.  Plus Tennessee called the worst executed flea flicker play in memory

Syracuse @ #7 Miami(-14)
Miami, as usual needed 4th quarter heroics again but only won by 10]
Note to Tennessee: Syracuse coach Dino Babers should be in the mix for a Butch Jones replacement

#8 Oklahoma @Kansas State (+13)
Sooners to cover.  
Nope, The  Sooners won 42-35 thanks to Baker Mayfield ‘s 5 TD passes.

-
      #10 USC @ Notre Dame(-3)
Shake down the Thunder! The Pac12 starts talking about the Cotton Bowl as its best post season possibility.

[i ]      Michigan @#3 Penn State(-10)[/i]
But can Michigan find a way to score?
No, and also found no way to stop Barkley or McSorley which made Michigan’s defense resemble, well, Akron’s

[i ]      Kansas @#4 TCU(-38] [/i]
Well at least one game went as advertised.

IDLE

#3      Georgia
# 5     Clemson
#10     Ohio State

3-4,
YTD 46-23
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 11:05:45 PM by Espnthree » Logged
bankshot1
Superhero Member

A non-card carrying citizen of RSN since 1957

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4835 on: October 22, 2017, 02:51:05 PM »

Football as we know it (more or less) was first played in New Jersey on November 6, 1869 when  Rutgers played and vanquished the Tigers of Princeton, 6-4.

The following week sportsmen of the Soprano family established point spreads.

The game has enjoyed unparalled growth ever since. 

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
DeeJ

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4836 on: October 22, 2017, 05:57:32 PM »

Football as we know it (more or less) was first played in New Jersey on November 6, 1869 when  Rutgers played and vanquished the Tigers of Princeton, 6-4.

The following week sportsmen of the Soprano family established point spreads.

The game has enjoyed unparalled growth ever since. 

As has the betting/bookie game.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4837 on: October 22, 2017, 06:31:42 PM »

With the exception of the universally-presumed tide, the other three slots are anybody's guess.  Maybe all of the previous years have been as crazy but my impression is that this is the most difficult to predict and therefore the most exciting BCS playoff year yet.  I don't read a lot of punditry, in fact, none, (so this could be the consensus) but do most of you have the same impression?

Or is it more like, it's always like this...

With the understanding that a lot of collisions will trim the decision tree for the committee, at this moment mid-season, I'm kinda hype about it.
DeeJ

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4838 on: October 22, 2017, 08:15:11 PM »

With the exception of the universally-presumed tide, the other three slots are anybody's guess.  Maybe all of the previous years have been as crazy but my impression is that this is the most difficult to predict and therefore the most exciting BCS playoff year yet.  I don't read a lot of punditry, in fact, none, (so this could be the consensus) but do most of you have the same impression?

With the understanding that a lot of collisions will trim the decision tree for the committee, at this moment mid-season, I'm kinda hype about it.

My impression is that the selection committee must follow through on their subtle  threats about SOS.  For e.g.:  If the BadGirls of Wisconsin win the Big Whatever,  which they won't, but if they did, they should be left out of the playoff because they play a weak schedule in the weakest division in college football. And that is not just MHO. The NoseBowl is all the BadGirls get.  Any team going 13-0 is probably NOT playing the toughest schedule.  The committee needs to follow through about wanting teams to strengthen their schedules.  Time to lay the leather to those who do not.  All conferences are not equal, the selection committee needs to acknowledge that obvious fact. A 12-1 or a 11-2 team could easily be better and beat a 13-0 team.
To me this is self-evident.  As for those outside the so-called powerball five......you get to fill the empty spots after all is said and done?  Fair? No. Reality?  You bet you butchy.

SideBar: The Irish win over the Trojans doesn't mean much. The Trojans barely beat 3-5 Texas who lost to MaryLand! for pete's sake.  As I suspected all along the Trojan HC is in over his head, much like Butch Jones at Tenn.  add JumboFishFry to the most fired list.
DeeJ

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4839 on: October 22, 2017, 08:47:40 PM »

On further reflection, the selection committee can do one other thing to help strengthen the schedule making:
There is no reason that the three non-conference games that, with the exception of ND most teams play, need to be schedule 10 years in advance.  Let schedule these game in March and let's see who beefs up their schedules based on who looks to be good the following season.  And teams that play 8 home games and 4 away, well they are out before the season begins.  You got your budget, college football has its playoff.
The choice is yours.
Espnthree

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4840 on: October 22, 2017, 11:11:48 PM »

For the Record.
The Rose Bowl is a playoff game this year open only to two of the top four teams designated by the Selection Committee.
Espnthree

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4841 on: October 22, 2017, 11:54:05 PM »

Current punditry.
Alabama - a lock
SEC 2 teams?  Only if the SEC title game is close between undefeated ‘Bama and Georgia

Big Ten PSU, tOSU, or 13-0 Wisconsin.
Big Ten Two teams?  Wisconsin over undefeated Penn State In CG Game or tOSU win over Wisconsin  in CG with  PSU at 11-1 in both scenarios.

ACC
Clemson win out a lock.
ACC 2 teams? Only if you credit an 11-1 Notre Dame as an ACC Team with five of its 11 wins against ACC Teams

Big12
An undefeated TCU.
Big12 2teams? No

Pac12
Washington as Champ at 12-1(Maybe)
Pac12 2teams ? No
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4842 on: Today at 02:10:19 AM »

Miami, okla