Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 250256 times)

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2018, 07:20:06 PM »

Have I mentioned lately that I crack myself up?
Good thing. I doubt your idiocies amuse anyone else. Except, of course, your alter ego.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2018, 09:19:39 PM »

Have I mentioned lately that I crack myself up?
Good thing. I doubt your idiocies amuse anyone else. Except, of course, your alter ego.

All too easy.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2018, 10:45:41 PM »

ESPN (and others) saying Urban is not the victim, Courtney Smith is the victim and this should be about her.  What were the frickin police doing for the last three years? 

Did Urban Meyer know something first hand that the police were not already made aware of directly from Courtney? They arrested the guy, so I'm pretty sure they already knew about it.  They are required to do investigations right?    And if Smith had been fired while she was still living in the house would that have helped her or made it worse?

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2018, 12:13:33 AM »

ESPN (and others) saying Urban is not the victim, Courtney Smith is the victim and this should be about her.  What were the frickin police doing for the last three years? 

Did Urban Meyer know something first hand that the police were not already made aware of directly from Courtney? They arrested the guy, so I'm pretty sure they already knew about it.  They are required to do investigations right?    And if Smith had been fired while she was still living in the house would that have helped her or made it worse?
Check your facts.
Smith was never arrested.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2018, 08:44:25 AM »

Check your facts.

Abusers often aren't. Doesn't mean they aren't guilty.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2018, 09:05:05 AM »

There are lots of people out there that 'get it'. And know why Meyer has to be fired by OSU. To do any less puts a stain on the University. Paterno did worse and needed to be fired. Probably should have been prosecuted. But Urban needs to go for the same basic premises.

https://1057thezone.iheart.com/featured/bruce-hooley/content/2018-08-04-meyer-lied-in-chicago-and-he-hasnt-stopped/

Urban Meyer’s social media apology for the lies he repeatedly told about a fired assistant coach's brush with domestic violence might have landed more believably Friday had Meyer not explained his actions with another lie just as fanciful.

“My intention was not to say anything inaccurate or misleading,” Meyer wrote. “However, I was not adequately prepared to discuss these sensitive personnel issues with the media, and I apologize for the way I handled those questions.”

Not adequately prepared?

Urban Meyer?

The man who has won 73 games in six seasons at Ohio State, and all three national championship games in which he has coached during his career, is rarely, if ever, unprepared.

No, what drove Meyer to the brink of precipitating his own firing by needlessly backing himself into a corner with lies told consistently and firmly at least nine times in three separate press conferences over a single afternoon was more likely an overabundance of forethought and planning.

There have probably been many press conferences during Meyer’s 16 seasons as a head coach at Bowling Green, Utah, Florida and OSU where he hasn’t been exactly sure of the initial question he would face.

But every Meyer media availability in Chicago carried the certainty of a first question related to the firing of his wide receivers coach, Zach Smith, the night before.

Meyer had one entire evening to confer with OSU crisis management experts and ponder how he would handle those questions about Smith’s dismissal.

Actually, Meyer likely had even longer to prepare, given that Smith’s firing had been a possibility since a report surfaced 11 hours before his firing that detailed his domestic violence issues in the past.[/] ...

Meyer’s supporters will, of course, defend this ludicrous excuse, just as they would laugh uproariously if Nick Saban, Jim Harbaugh, Mark Dantonio or any coach perceived as a threat to OSU’s on-field dominance positioned a similar fantasy as truth.[/]

“There was nothing,” Meyer said. “I don’t know who creates a story like that.”

For the better part of six hours, in front of a mass media gathering, again in a session with print reporters, and again in front of TV cameras, Meyer stuck to that outright denial and dismissive tone.

Here’s the exchange between Doug Lesmeresis of Cleveland.com and Meyer:

Lesmerises: “Are you saying you don’t know anything about that (2015 incident) or are you saying that never happened?”

Meyer shook his head as Lesmerises question began, as if to say  he indeed knew nothing about the 2015 incident. And then he said this:

Meyer: “I can’t say it didn’t happen, because I wasn’t there. I was never told about anything. Nothing ever came to light. I never had any conversation about it. So I know nothing about it.”

Five sentences...three outright, bald-faced lies.

A follow-up question from Lesmerises brought this from Meyer:

“The first I heard (about the 2015 incident) was last night.”

Another lie.[/] ...

Only time will reveal the exact reason Meyer chose the absolute worst possible way to handle questions he knew were coming. Most probably, it was his belief his lies would never be exposed, because both he and Ohio State and every big-time college football program are very good at shielding themselves from scrutiny.

If all this leads to Meyer's firing, it will be a mammoth misfortune, prematurely ending a career that could leave him looking down on every other coach in college football as the greatest ever in his profession.

It will damage Meyer’s considerable philanthropic impact in Columbus and stop his uncanny influence helping players realize their NFL dreams.

And if Meyer is fired, it will be entirely of his own doing, because he had the truth on his side and simply refused to tell it.

Meyer’s own social media mea culpa now contends he reported the 2015 Smith domestic violence matter to his superiors.

So why not admit that when questioned in Chicago?

Why not say, “I knew about the 2015 incident and I reported it to my superiors. I told Zach if anything ever came to light about that and it reflected on our program, he would be dismissed. That happened this week, and so we had to part ways.”

Would that revelation have brought the mighty Ohio State football program to its knees?

Would it have damaged Urban Meyer in any way that would have exposed him to a possible firing?

No and no.

So why did Meyer not tell the truth?[/]...

It wasn’t that he came to Chicago “not adequately prepared.” It’s far more likely Meyer had pondered the questions he would receive for the better part of 16 hours and was exceedingly prepared.

And probably exceedingly ticked off he’d have to shine some light on the dirty laundry in his program.

That’s why someone puts forth a false narrative and sticks to it resolutely while given repeated chances to tell the truth or correct his earlier lies throughout the day.

Meyer is rarely thrust into such situations, and it’s hard to envision how he could have handled it more deplorably.

While sycophants will excuse it as simply lying to the media -- a stupid defense, given reporters are the conduit to the general public -- there is an enormous difference between concealing which player will start at quarterback, or whether a tackle’s ankle injury has fully healed and repeatedly denying, and thus trivializing, domestic violence allegations against a staff member.

If Meyer doesn’t understand the difference, then his oft-stated core value of, “Treat women with respect,” rings as hollow as the only other core value he lists above that one, “Honesty.”

« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 09:08:43 AM by CaptainCargo »

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2018, 09:07:15 AM »

Check your facts.

Do you ever read ESPN's posts for context, or just automatically respond?

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2018, 09:13:15 AM »

There are lots of people out there that 'get it'. And know why Meyer has to be fired by OSU. To do any less puts a stain on the University. Paterno did worse and needed to be fired. Probably should have been prosecuted. But Urban needs to go for the same basic premises.

https://1057thezone.iheart.com/featured/bruce-hooley/content/2018-08-04-meyer-lied-in-chicago-and-he-hasnt-stopped/

Urban Meyer’s social media apology for the lies he repeatedly told about a fired assistant coach's brush with domestic violence might have landed more believably Friday had Meyer not explained his actions with another lie just as fanciful.

“My intention was not to say anything inaccurate or misleading,” Meyer wrote. “However, I was not adequately prepared to discuss these sensitive personnel issues with the media, and I apologize for the way I handled those questions.”

Not adequately prepared?

Urban Meyer?

The man who has won 73 games in six seasons at Ohio State, and all three national championship games in which he has coached during his career, is rarely, if ever, unprepared.

No, what drove Meyer to the brink of precipitating his own firing by needlessly backing himself into a corner with lies told consistently and firmly at least nine times in three separate press conferences over a single afternoon was more likely an overabundance of forethought and planning.

There have probably been many press conferences during Meyer’s 16 seasons as a head coach at Bowling Green, Utah, Florida and OSU where he hasn’t been exactly sure of the initial question he would face.

But every Meyer media availability in Chicago carried the certainty of a first question related to the firing of his wide receivers coach, Zach Smith, the night before.

Meyer had one entire evening to confer with OSU crisis management experts and ponder how he would handle those questions about Smith’s dismissal.

Actually, Meyer likely had even longer to prepare, given that Smith’s firing had been a possibility since a report surfaced 11 hours before his firing that detailed his domestic violence issues in the past.[/] ...

Meyer’s supporters will, of course, defend this ludicrous excuse, just as they would laugh uproariously if Nick Saban, Jim Harbaugh, Mark Dantonio or any coach perceived as a threat to OSU’s on-field dominance positioned a similar fantasy as truth.[/]

For the better part of six hours, in front of a mass media gathering, again in a session with print reporters, and again in front of TV cameras, Meyer stuck to that outright denial and dismissive tone.

Lesmerises: “Are you saying you don’t know anything about that (2015 incident) or are you saying that never happened?”

Meyer shook his head as Lesmerises question began, as if to say  he indeed knew nothing about the 2015 incident. And then he said this:

Meyer: “I can’t say it didn’t happen, because I wasn’t there. I was never told about anything. Nothing ever came to light. I never had any conversation about it. So I know nothing about it.”

Another lie.[/] ...

Only time will reveal the exact reason Meyer chose the absolute worst possible way to handle questions he knew were coming. Most probably, it was his belief his lies would never be exposed, because both he and Ohio State and every big-time college football program are very good at shielding themselves from scrutiny.

If all this leads to Meyer's firing, it will be a mammoth misfortune, prematurely ending a career that could leave him looking down on every other coach in college football as the greatest ever in his profession.

It will damage Meyer’s considerable philanthropic impact in Columbus and stop his uncanny influence helping players realize their NFL dreams.

And if Meyer is fired, it will be entirely of his own doing, because he had the truth on his side and simply refused to tell it.

Meyer’s own social media mea culpa now contends he reported the 2015 Smith domestic violence matter to his superiors.

Why not say, “I knew about the 2015 incident and I reported it to my superiors. I told Zach if anything ever came to light about that and it reflected on our program, he would be dismissed. That happened this week, and so we had to part ways.”

Would that revelation have brought the mighty Ohio State football program to its knees?

Would it have damaged Urban Meyer in any way that would have exposed him to a possible firing?

No and no.

It wasn’t that he came to Chicago “not adequately prepared.” It’s far more likely Meyer had pondered the questions he would receive for the better part of 16 hours and was exceedingly prepared.

And probably exceedingly ticked off he’d have to shine some light on the dirty laundry in his program.

That’s why someone puts forth a false narrative and sticks to it resolutely while given repeated chances to tell the truth or correct his earlier lies throughout the day.

Meyer is rarely thrust into such situations, and it’s hard to envision how he could have handled it more deplorably.

While sycophants will excuse it as simply lying to the media -- a stupid defense, given reporters are the conduit to the general public -- there is an enormous difference between concealing which player will start at quarterback, or whether a tackle’s ankle injury has fully healed and repeatedly denying, and thus trivializing, domestic violence allegations against a staff member.

If Meyer doesn’t understand the difference, then his oft-stated core value of, “Treat women with respect,” rings as hollow as the only other core value he lists above that one, “Honesty.”
So you think lying to the media is.fireable if the topic is important enough, or if the coach is trying to avoid negative publicity?

Same people had Dantonio and Izzo lead off with nooses around their neck last year. Because having a "hot take" has become more important than a reasoned decision when all the facts are in.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 09:14:54 AM by whiskeypriest »

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2018, 09:34:43 AM »

Check your facts.

My first impulse is to simply tell you to fuck off. But I'll bite my tongue.

Sigh, I know he was right that the guy wasn't arrested. I'm not the friggin moron you continually try to make me out to be.

I simply said not arrested doesn't mean not guilty. And as such indicate thusly that any reported abuse would be investigated as a matter of routine whether he was arrested or not. As a lawyer you know that.

So, even if the guy wasn't arrested the point/question of Scotty's post still stands notwithstanding his error on the non-arrest.

Personally Scotty has a good point. The guy was/is a danger to this lady. And really that is what all of this should be about and why any lying on Meyer's end cannot be tolerated. He's got to go. Anyone with an ounce of intelligence and integrity knows this to be true. Sycophants of course will disagree. Do you? 

You have often erringly called others here misogynists while implying that you aren't. It is now time for you to back that up as more than just talk. Step up or step off.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2018, 09:40:19 AM »

Not adequately prepared?

Urban Meyer?

Another lie.[/] ...

No and no.

So you think lying to the media is.fireable if the topic is important enough, or if the coach is trying to avoid negative publicity?

Same people had Dantonio and Izzo lead off with nooses around their neck last year. Because having a "hot take" has become more important than a reasoned decision when all the facts are in.

Hot take my ass, the lying is totally unacceptable no matter how he wants to aww shucks it.

Of course I think what he did is a fireable thing. Frankly given the seriousness of the matter I'm surprised you don't. If you were that woman's lawyer, or brother, or that woman herself no doubt you'd think differently. If you actually think, actually buy, that Meyer was caught off guard gee whiz shit, well, I find that hard to believe. I guess I really don't know you at all.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 09:43:21 AM by CaptainCargo »

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2018, 09:59:10 AM »

"The only thing missing from Urban’s statement and Zach Smith’s ESPN interview Friday night was the Ohio State marching band dotting the ‘i’ on lie."

Again, he's got to go.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/open-mike/os-sp-urban-meyer-urban-liar-buckeyes-domestic-violence-zach-smith-20180803-story.html

Driver125

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2018, 10:16:11 AM »

While sycophants will excuse it as simply lying to the media -- a stupid defense
    Perhaps he felt that it is not his responsibility to dispense justice in this matter. Maybe he is of the opinion that it is the responsibility of the legal system to deal with this situation. It might be that he feels that people are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, not in the court of public opinion. Maybe he feels that it is not up to him to possibly ruin someones career and/or life until the subject is found guilty in a court of law. Why isn’t this in the purview of the legal system? Go to the police. Present your case. Insist that they press charges against this guy. If that doesn’t work sue him civilly. If he is found guilty by the legal system then it’s the duty of the university (or possibly Myer as the responsible administrator in this area) to fire this guy. Now, obviously, Myer pretty much tried to weasel out of this whole thing when it came to his statements to the press. But I could see how he might feel that this shouldn’t be his responsibility in the first place. Let the legal system dispense justice and if he is found guilty then dismiss him from his position.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 10:18:23 AM by Driver125 »

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2018, 11:04:56 AM »

Not adequately prepared?

Urban Meyer?

Another lie.[/] ...

No and no.

Hot take my ass, the lying is totally unacceptable no matter how he wants to aww shucks it.

Of course I think what he did is a fireable thing. Frankly given the seriousness of the matter I'm surprised you don't. If you were that woman's lawyer, or brother, or that woman herself no doubt you'd think differently. If you actually think, actually buy, that Meyer was caught off guard gee whiz shit, well, I find that hard to believe. I guess I really don't know you at all.
To paraphrase Sherlock Holmes, it is a capital mistake to theorize without facts. You start to fit facts into your theory rather than come up with a theory that covers the facts. This is particularly true with you since admitting error is so difficult for you. When the story first broke you put yourself in a position where "fire Urban Meyer!" is the only acceptable outcome for you, regardless of what the facts will show.

Did Meyer follow the proper reporting policy? If the answer is yes, then your Old.West lynch mob mentality that decides, well, let's hang him for something else is not a mentality I choose to traffic in.

By the way, consider the possibility that our entire justice system has developed to remove the motivations of private vengeance as a factor. The question is not what would you want to do if it happened to you/your family member. The question is what is right. I get.that argument all the time when I discuss the death penalty. What would you want if it was your wife murdered, I get asked. I'd want a wooden post.sharpened and ramrmed up his anus and then raised up so that the weight of his body slowly works the post up to his vital organs causing him to die in unspeakable agony,.slowly. Preferably this soul take place at noon, and of July, in Gila.Bend.  THAT IS NOT THE POINT.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2018, 11:06:47 AM »

Check your facts.

My first impulse is to simply tell you to fuck off. But I'll bite my tongue.

Sigh, I know he was right that the guy wasn't arrested. I'm not the friggin moron you continually try to make me out to be.

I simply said not arrested doesn't mean not guilty. And as such indicate thusly that any reported abuse would be investigated as a matter of routine whether he was arrested or not. As a lawyer you know that.

So, even if the guy wasn't arrested the point/question of Scotty's post still stands notwithstanding his error on the non-arrest.

Personally Scotty has a good point. The guy was/is a danger to this lady. And really that is what all of this should be about and why any lying on Meyer's end cannot be tolerated. He's got to go. Anyone with an ounce of intelligence and integrity knows this to be true. Sycophants of course will disagree. Do you? 

You have often erringly called others here misogynists while implying that you aren't. It is now time for you to back that up as more than just talk. Step up or step off.
Fuck off.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 11:31:56 AM by whiskeypriest »

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2018, 11:55:50 AM »

While sycophants will excuse it as simply lying to the media -- a stupid defense
    Perhaps he felt that it is not his responsibility to dispense justice in this matter. Maybe he is of the opinion that it is the responsibility of the legal system to deal with this situation. It might be that he feels that people are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, not in the court of public opinion. Maybe he feels that it is not up to him to possibly ruin someones career and/or life until the subject is found guilty in a court of law. Why isn’t this in the purview of the legal system? Go to the police. Present your case. Insist that they press charges against this guy. If that doesn’t work sue him civilly. If he is found guilty by the legal system then it’s the duty of the university (or possibly Myer as the responsible administrator in this area) to fire this guy. Now, obviously, Myer pretty much tried to weasel out of this whole thing when it came to his statements to the press. But I could see how he might feel that this shouldn’t be his responsibility in the first place. Let the legal system dispense justice and if he is found guilty then dismiss him from his position.
I agree with one clarification.
Our legal system is not set up to “ dispense justice” but rather settle disputes.

Regarding the alleged abuses of Cortney Smith  by Zack Smith in 2015 there no such legal disputes.
The timeline as we know it:

In Nov. 9-12, 2015  Powell, Ohio police investigate a claim by Courtney Smith of menacing by stalking by Zach Smith.
No charges are filed,
but Zach Smith is issued a restraining order on Nov. 10. Courtney Smith files for divorce two days later.

Dec. 19, 2017: Zach Smith is given criminal trespass warning after reportedly making "harassment/threats" at 1:30 a.m. on Dec. 17.
No files were charged.

May 12, 2018: Powell police cite Zach Smith with misdemeanor criminal trespass after a dispute with his wife. The two argued over where Zach Smith should have dropped off his son. McMurphy reported Smith's driving into the driveway of his ex-wife's apartment violated the 2015 warning.

July 18, 2018: Zach Smith appears in Delaware County Municipal Court for a pretrial hearing related to the May trespass charge. Court records show Smith pleaded not guilty to the charge on June 5.

July 20, 2018: Courtney Smith is granted an order of protection against her ex-husband that prohibits him from getting within 500 feet of her. The protective order was filed in Delaware County after she claimed she feared for her safety.

July 23, 2018: Zack Smith is fired by Ohio State.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 11:58:09 AM by Espnthree »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 329