Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 250005 times)

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #120 on: August 09, 2018, 09:35:28 AM »

Ut oh Scotty.

USC's Porter Gustin set for surgery to repair small meniscus tear

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24324821/porter-gustin-usc-trojans-miss-2-5-weeks-knee-injury

What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 09, 2018, 09:48:40 AM »

BTW Scott, are you surprised Helton has signed this kid and given him a second chance?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24314985/usc-trojans-sign-ol-bernard-schirmer-punched-juco-ref-2016

He has repeatedly said the punch was accidental. and looking at the film I can see how it was an accident. It looked like the kid punched himself, kinda like an MLB baseball pitcher did this year. And, to me, it looks like the kid's elbow KO-ed the ref.

Footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n1AFVvVzLo

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 09, 2018, 11:21:38 AM »

Anyone else just get a fake IM from Maximcgt?

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 09, 2018, 06:17:25 PM »

Check your facts.
Smith was never arrested.

I will recheck.  I posted this directly after reading an article stating that he was
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 09, 2018, 06:18:30 PM »

Ut oh Scotty.

Only supposed to be 4 weeks last I heard.  We're pretty deep on defense
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 09, 2018, 06:21:20 PM »

BTW Scott, are you surprised Helton has signed this kid and given him a second chance?

I am very surprised. While he was fully acquitted of punching the ref --it was called obviously accidental-- I saw a couple of shots of this kids twitter feed and it was not something that I was comfortable with.  Helton obviously has access to more info than I do though.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 09, 2018, 06:34:49 PM »

I see... there is even controversy regarding whether or not he was arrested...  funny stuff going on indeed.
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/06/police-zach-smith-never-arrested-in-2015/

What really surprises me though is that in that post I was trying give Urban Meyer the benefit of the doubt and you told me to get my facts straight.  Funny Stuff all around.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 09, 2018, 06:44:28 PM »

here's the story i read last week when it was being speculated that we would sign him...

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/09/12/local-college-football-player-suspended-for-5-years-for-punching-referee/

From Helton:

"He's a young man from Mt. SAC that we learned about in spring recruiting. We knew his history with an in-game incident that he had to pay penance for. We vetted for three months this individual, talking with administrators at Mt. SAC, coaches, counselors and also had a chance to sit down with his family over the summer," said Helton. "What we learned from the administrators, coaches and counselors is that we were dealing with a tremendous young man, a young man that is a tremendous student, great person and a guy that we had no question would be a great member of our Trojan family.....we listed the expectations that we expect for Bernard and we understand that he knows those expectations and he will do a great job here as a Trojan. We are very excited."

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 09, 2018, 07:11:03 PM »

Check your facts.
Smith was never arrested.

I will recheck.  I posted this directly after reading an article stating that he was

It was originally reported that he was arrested but that later changed Scotty. But the fact that he wasn't arrested doesn't mean squat and it was just Skip showing off. The point of your post still stands that their would be an investigation. There's always an investigation for claimed domestic violence, How thorough that 'investigation' is though varies with police depts. Some are better than others. Sometimes it ends with the officers leaving and filing a report at the station, Other times it's more thorough.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 07:18:45 PM by CaptainCargo »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 09, 2018, 07:29:52 PM »

here's the story i read last week when it was being speculated that we would sign him...

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/09/12/local-college-football-player-suspended-for-5-years-for-punching-referee/

From Helton:

"He's a young man from Mt. SAC that we learned about in spring recruiting. We knew his history with an in-game incident that he had to pay penance for. We vetted for three months this individual, talking with administrators at Mt. SAC, coaches, counselors and also had a chance to sit down with his family over the summer," said Helton. "What we learned from the administrators, coaches and counselors is that we were dealing with a tremendous young man, a young man that is a tremendous student, great person and a guy that we had no question would be a great member of our Trojan family.....we listed the expectations that we expect for Bernard and we understand that he knows those expectations and he will do a great job here as a Trojan. We are very excited."
Wouldn't it have been easier if he just said "we think he can help us win some games"?
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 09, 2018, 07:36:38 PM »

Wouldn't it have been easier if he just said "we think he can help us win some games"?

Definitely easier and perhaps more genuine. 

I do tend to think Helton is an upright guy, but I will be watching this one very closely.  Kid will be on a short leash.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 09, 2018, 07:37:41 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10211886876396166&id=1498798014

OSU's counter offensive in the court of public opinion continues...

14 days is plenty of time to turn things around.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 09, 2018, 08:08:06 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10211886876396166&id=1498798014

Interesting read.

Once again I ask, so why did Meyer lie? Why shoot himself in the foot for no reason? The whole thing just doesn't make sense.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 09, 2018, 09:13:41 PM »

so why did Meyer lie? Why shoot himself in the foot for no reason? The whole thing just doesn't make sense.

A lot of people will be coming back to that same question.

I have mixed feelings on it.  When I posted that earlier, I was sort of questioning the value of the Title IX requirement to report.  I'm not sure it would have helped the lady in any way if he did.

And while it is easy to think a cover up may be happening, I also know there is really no way to keep that quiet in the long run.  If the folks at OSU are trying to create a fake paper trail, their punishment in the long term when that came out would be much, much worse.  And they are certainly smart enough to understand that...so I tend to doubt it is happening that way.

...now marketing to public opinion is another matter.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 09, 2018, 09:44:57 PM »

Interesting read.

Once again I ask, so why did Meyer lie? Why shoot himself in the foot for no reason? The whole thing just doesn't make sense.
For what it is worth I found his explanation for the lie unpersuasive. But if he followed the proper reporting policy he will not.get.fired, and should not.

It may be as.simple as putting the story behind him without subjecting OSU to additional lingering scrutiny about their response. A response which is really lacking in the current zeitgiest.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 329